Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Damian

The MSBS-5,56 that are currently presented during AUSA 2012 in Washington.

Additional variants:

Of course not all of them, there will be many more both in classic and bullpup versions, as well there is work on MSBS-7,62 and in longer term a solutions for more versions in different callibers.

MSBS-5,56 compared with kbk wz.96C Beryl.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
The MSBS-5,56 that are currently presented during AUSA 2012 in Washington.

Additional variants:

Of course not all of them, there will be many more both in classic and bullpup versions, as well there is work on MSBS-7,62 and in longer term a solutions for more versions in different callibers.

MSBS-5,56 compared with kbk wz.96C Beryl.
There is little heard about the performance of beryl compared to other Ak derivatives.Will you pls provide some info about its performance compared to other aks and its western counter parts?I know its based on older tantal but nothing known about its range,reliability and accuracy.

Damian

There is little heard about the performance of beryl compared to other Ak derivatives.Will you pls provide some info about its performance compared to other aks and its western counter parts?I know its based on older tantal but nothing known about its range,reliability and accuracy.
As far as I know, there are no problems with wz.96 Beryl reliability, it's typical for AK family. There are some issues with ergonomics but these are just there because it's ancestor is AK, in fact compared to AK it's ergonomics are improved. Range and accuracy will be typical for good quality AK's in 5,56x45mm calliber.

It is generally liked weapon in Polish Army, but the age of design is clearly visible, modernization potential is close to none, and this is why MSBS-5,56 is in development.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Re: Indian Army at the mercy of arms dealers and lobbyists

You know guys, there is so much foul mouthing of INSAS rifle that it has gotten to Indian Army's head. They wish to replace it with a unique rifle. INSAS is great rifle. It had its problems. But those are history. Now our great army wishes to replace it with a sexy looking rifle, to which a brave soldier cannot fix a bayonet and clear the trenches. Reason the newer sexy rifles are much smaller and bayonet fixed to it does not have the needed reaches.

All the contenders for the new rifle built rifles for urban close quarter battle, which is most unlikely in India. Hence why are we buying it.

In a battle; does the soldier facing a Pakistani or Chinese soldier has four minutes to chnge the barrel and readjust the ammo feed. I guess not.

How much is the opportunity for a frontline soldier to act as sniper man.

By the same breath, tell me how better the new rifle would be as a machine gun. Are we going to dump the machine gunner. I guess not.

Then tell me that other than sales commissions, is there any other reason.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
You know guys, there is so much foul mouthing of INSAS rifle that it has gotten to Indian Army's head. They wish to replace it with a unique rifle. INSAS is great rifle. It had its problems. But those are history. Now our great army wishes to replace it with a sexy looking rifle, to which a brave soldier cannot fix a bayonet and clear the trenches. Reason the newer sexy rifles are much smaller and bayonet fixed to it does not have the needed reaches.

All the contenders for the new rifle built rifles for urban close quarter battle, which is most unlikely in India. Hence why are we buying it.

In a battle; does the soldier facing a Pakistani or Chinese soldier has four minutes to chnge the barrel and readjust the ammo feed. I guess not.

How much is the opportunity for a frontline soldier to act as sniper man.

By the same breath, tell me how better the new rifle would be as a machine gun. Are we going to dump the machine gunner. I guess not.

Then tell me that other than sales commissions, is there any other reason.
I think you had got the facts wrong about multi cals.Multi cals are not meant to change barells at battle field but they have the unique ability to accept different barells which would be done by the armourer according to the users need and the type of operation involving.Now army uses ak or insas as rifle,bren or pkm as MG,svd as dragunev.With the intro of multi cals all this would be gone and all the small arms will be of same make with interchangable barells so there won't be problem of spares .
This is the theoretical part but doesn't know about the success in the practical use.Also money is also a big problem plus the reliability too.
Concerning about the bayonet charge now days all the rifles are typically
short and gone are the days of suicide type mass infantry charges and those bayonet charges into machine gun manned bunkers.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

IDF use TAR-21 with interchangeable barrels in there specific Ops, Money is not a problem..

Reliability and other are concern, I hope they are tested to limits and Major part is cleaning, Insas or AKM takes no more than 15-30mins for A-Z cleaning..

------------------------

Bayonet is very important, they are very essential in fights even if not as always its a very important part of Infantry warfare and cannot be ignored specially in Indian Army..

This is the theoretical part but doesn't know about the success in the practical use.Also money is also a big problem plus the reliability too. Concerning about the bayonet charge now days all the rifles are typically,short and gone are the days of suicide type mass infantry charges and those bayonet charges into machine gun manned bunkers.

mikhail

Country flag

I am not sure how accurate that is, If you see the specs in RFI its very complex its possible FN & HK never had such a Rifle..
Only crez republic bren and berrata have what written in RFI..

Selection of Bulgarian AK can be for various reasons..

1. Common spare with other AK

2. Price tag compare to AK103

3. License Production also Modification as per Indian needs..

I heard about AK-103 production by OFB but there were no news afterwards, Something didn't materialized just like zittra..
Most Countries dont allow there top tech weapon system tot transfer including small systems like Rifle..
sir i have a simple question,what's the basic difference between a Bulgarian Arsenal made AK and the AKM or is the ARSENAL-AKs are at par with the Russian AK-100 series rifle!pardon my ignorance regarding this matter please!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

Comparison :

Bulgarian AK :

---------------
---------------

Russian AK-103 :

Weight 3.4 kg (7.5 lb) without magazine
Length 943 mm (37.1 in) stock extended / 700 mm (27.6 in) stock folded
Barrel length 415 mm (16.3 in)
Action Gas operated, rotating bolt
Rate of fire 600 rounds/min
Muzzle velocity 735 m/s (2,411 ft/s)
Effective range 500 m (550 yd)
Feed system 30-round detachable box magazine
Sights Notch rear on sight scale and half-globe post on front

------------------------------
------------------------------

Both are more or less same, AK-103 is little lighter and comes with a AK-74 Muzzle flasher..

sir i have a simple question,what's the basic difference between a Bulgarian Arsenal made AK and the AKM or is the ARSENAL-AKs are at par with the Russian AK-100 series rifle!pardon my ignorance regarding this matter please!