Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
the only sole benefeciaries of the importing of X95 TAVOR deal would be the Naxals as they will get a chance to induct some hightech weapons into their arsenal by merely ambushing the ill trained CRPF...How a force which couldnt effectively use user friendly weapons like AKMs is going to use much sophisticated Tavors against guerillas?proper jungle warfare training and wepons handling expertise are the only way to enhance efficiency of CRPF...
The deal itself seems to be stinky, as per the press releases the the reasons for induction of Tavors are due to mainly two reasons
1-INSAS rifles lack much punching power and are unsuitable for CT ops...
2-Kalashnikovs lack pinpoint accuracy..
but as far i know Tavors and INSAS use same catridges ie 5.56*45mm rounds...then how the issue of fire power is gonna to be solved?
And in case of accuracy if they were not satisfied with accuracy of Romanian AKMs then there AK103,RK95,improved VZ58s which all are light weight,accurate and chambered for powerful M43 russian round which are the best suited ammunition in jungle war fare.....

If i was given the job i would have buy multi use BP vests, Kevlar suit a light helmet with a updated VZ-58 with Rails for scopes and GP-25/30 grande launcher at the price of a Single X-95 TAR as per Solider :(

The vest is designed on two major principles: (1) the right chest area, where the gun's butt-stock goes, must be as flat and clear of any pouches, buckles and what not. nothing comes in the way of the gun when you point and shoot. (2) The vest must be as low-key profile as possible. that's a major element when most of your action takes place in narrow alleyways, corridors, corners windows and thresholds. The numbers in the picture above indicates 1) the ceramic vest underneath, 2) the upper locking buckle (with the personal radio's PTT button attached to it, although sometimes I'll attach it to my left palm).

ISRAELI CQB BP VEST..

lightweight Permyachka Infantry Suits, which protect at least 80 percent of the body surface from small-caliber bullets and low-speed shrapnel, a Ria Novosti report said.
Permyachka Infantry Suit Walk Around Page 1

LIGHT WEIGHT HELMETS

VZ-58 With Rail

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
the helmet looks awesome.i think drdo should work on such helmets for finsas.also some indian companies are making good quality bulletproof jackets(at least by looks-not sure about protection).please check ou this website.the deg protection jacket looks awesome.
TATA Advanced Materials Ltd...

Sikh_warrior

Professional
The world is full of arm manufactures who are looking for business from countries with deep pockets such as India.

Cant the DRDO get into joint ventures with some of these companies and get technology transfers and future development of the equipment and hardware, rather than wasting time and money on making stuff which is not even approved by the end user?

TATA, M&M etc should be encouraged to enter into private defence equipment development. or BHEL and other govt units can enter into joint ventures...

declare OFB as SICK unit and start fresh.

we have the money, but dont know how to use it (thanks to Kunal)!

russians extracted more $$ for the carriers, yanks are doing it with C17.....the list is endless!

the best of guns and body armour and other infantry stuff is available off the shelf across the world....what is DRDO waiting for?

.....XMAS??

Last edited:

Sikh_warrior

Professional
The above photos posted by me are courtsey Biswas Dada. he had posted them in a different military forum.

Micro uzi has been in use for a long time to guard the top brass of the IA. and the M4 could be seen in the recently conducted exercise by the IA.

i would still prefer an european gun/rifle for the IA.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
AEK-971 assault rifle Russia

The Russian AEK-971 5.45x39mm assault rifle.
The AEK-971 is based on previous AK rifles in internal design and layout, but is also equipped with a recoil-balancing mechanism by way of a counter-weight that negates the impulse of the gas piston and bolt carrier, resulting in more controllable automatic fire. Though losing an initial contract for production against the AN-94, the Russian Army has begun field trials of this weapon. It is approximately 0.5 kg lighter than AN-94, simpler in design and cheaper to manufacture. Furthermore, the weapon is claimed to be the most accurate, in fully automatic fire, assault rifle chambered in 5.45x39mm or even among all of the fully automatic assault rifles

pmaitra

AN-94"Abakan"+ AEK 971

AN-94"Abakan"+ AEK 971

Немного об АЕК-971

Last edited by a moderator:

JBH22

is this russian Russian PM in the photo?
No Russian President and Ramzam Kadyrov Chechen scum

The above photos posted by me are courtsey Biswas Dada. he had posted them in a different military forum.

Micro uzi has been in use for a long time to guard the top brass of the IA. and the M4 could be seen in the recently conducted exercise by the IA.

i would still prefer an european gun/rifle for the IA.
I would prefer a decent,reliable gun for the IA nothing flashy but something to keep up with our climatic conditions and perhaps only Russian manufacture such type of guns

Sikh_warrior

Professional
for bullpup i would prefer The Tavor and for conventional rifle, Ishapore with the folding butt would be my choice.

the ex-army Ishapore should have landed with state police forces who should have done away with the vintage .303.

there should be panel of experts to evaluate the different requirements of different nature of forces deployed in the indian security forces (military, paramil and state police).

i still dont get it why the CRPF got the 12000 Tavors to fight the maoists?

the current weapon AK/INSAS are good against the maoists, its the effective training and better equipment is required other than the primary weapon.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
there should be panel of experts to evaluate the different requirements of different nature of forces deployed in the indian security forces (military, paramil and state police).

i still dont get it why the CRPF got the 12000 Tavors to fight the maoists?

the current weapon AK/INSAS are good against the maoists, its the effective training and better equipment is required other than the primary weapon.

People are tired after retirement, two things come to mind ashram or politics and there are few how are willing to do the job caught with long paper works and long lectures, If i remember Someone at southblock once said @Ray Sir that "History is a proof that most war happend during day so no need for tracer rounds", And their is one guy at field ( Lt Col ) once suggest our CO " Sir we must get Tanks to kill insurgents in Kashmir ", Now if someone ask me such dum questions at my retirement level and argue with me, How i am i expected to answer him ?, I dont have the energy to explain ( Spoon feeding )....

As i said before " Wanna have " something, Its a stupendous competitions between Dum headed top brass of different Organization..

I have once watched CRPF in our firing range, Their officer was shouting to get the men from out of the bus and for brifing, Where the JCO or Hav was no where in sight.. Serious lack of discipline !

Sikh_warrior

Professional
People are tired after retirement, two things come to mind ashram or politics and there are few how are willing to do the job caught with long paper works and long lectures, If i remember Someone at southblock once said @Ray Sir that "History is a proof that most war happend during day so no need for tracer rounds", And their is one guy at field ( Lt Col ) once suggest our CO " Sir we must get Tanks to kill insurgents in Kashmir ", Now if someone ask me such dum questions at my retirement level and argue with me, How i am i expected to answer him ?, I dont have the energy to explain ( Spoon feeding )....

As i said before " Wanna have " something, Its a stupendous competitions between Dum headed top brass of different Organization..

I have once watched CRPF in our firing range, Their officer was shouting to get the men from out of the bus and for brifing, Where the JCO or Hav was no where in sight.. Serious lack of discipline !
if i start telling stories from my side, makes me feel like we have bunch of fools and jokers in our army!

two of my friends have already left the army, they felt so frustrated by the COs, they just gave up!

people have made money and retired in big way!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles