Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kaboom

Country flag
Is SSS mod cheaper than the original factory fitted adjustable buttstock?
Indian factories don't make adjustable stocks afaik .
As for the sssd mod , it's buttstock is probably better and hence costlier .it also has a cheekriser that original lacks.
images - 2024-06-20T234015.401.jpeg

Also the ak 12 buttock in good but their is one simpler way , just add an ar15 buffer tube to the rear trunnion and you would be able to use the nice nice ar15 aftermarket buttstocks like magpul .

Mr.Evil007

Country flag
Indian factories don't make adjustable stocks afaik .
As for the sssd mod , it's buttstock is probably better and hence costlier .it also has a cheekriser that original lacks.
View attachment 258743

Also the ak 12 buttock in good but their is one simpler way , just add an ar15 buffer tube to the rear trunnion and you would be able to use the nice nice ar15 aftermarket buttstocks like magpul .
Then I have no problem if they are getting better stuff on ak 203 even if it’s not a factory fit.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
IMHO, instead of spending such a huge amount of money, we should have just upgraded all the AK-47s in the inventory
Those barrels need replacement receiversand everytging else except maybe the bolt.So going for something new is good.Finns who upgraded the Valmets had replaced their barrels iirc.
For general infantry adjustable stocks with folding capacity is not that much feasible for a million strong army like ours at present,But over the course of time it could be done.I had seen Vympel guys running with OG AK74M stocks as recently as last week😄.And that stock is not that bad.

tomthounaojam

Country flag
Those barrels need replacement receiversand everytging else except maybe the bolt.So going for something new is good.Finns who upgraded the Valmets had replaced their barrels iirc.
For general infantry adjustable stocks with folding capacity is not that much feasible for a million strong army like ours at present,But over the course of time it could be done.I had seen Vympel guys running with OG AK74M stocks as recently as last week😄.And that stock is not that bad.
I mean some of these Ak which is itself a potpourri must have more than 50% of their barrel life, other than NE and JK most of them have not fired than yearly shooting IMHO. That me being optimistic, talking about AK-47s when it was fairly new here in the early 90s dad asked a CRPF Jawan why are you not carrying Ak, he said "Sirji, uska weight kam hai only Senior ko milta hai". Personally am not a fan of the Army's small arms procurement policy, I think CAPF has a better attitude.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
I mean some of these Ak which is itself a potpourri must have more than 50% of their barrel life, other than NE and JK most of them have not fired than yearly shooting IMHO. That me being optimistic, talking about AK-47s when it was fairly new here in the early 90s dad asked a CRPF Jawan why are you not carrying Ak, he said "Sirji, uska weight kam hai only Senior ko milta hai". Personally am not a fan of the Army's small arms procurement policy, I think CAPF has a better attitude.
Agree with that.
Btw being an Ak fanboy i am curious how we imported Aks of early 60s and Vzs (which got discontinued in 83) In early 90s.

Whitecollar

Country flag
new-russian-6-0241-cartridge-and-prototype-rifles-ak-22-and-mini-svch.png

What do you guys think about the 6.02X41 mm AK cartrigde and it's overall efficiency and AP peoperties over 5.45X39mm?

Do you think our gernails compared overall carrying capacity, recoil control, AP from 200mtr+ distance and fatigue on avg soldier wrt prolonged firing before selecting Ye Old 7.62X39mm??

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
View attachment 258809
What do you guys think about the 6.02X41 mm AK cartrigde and it's overall efficiency and AP peoperties over 5.45X39mm?

Do you think our gernails compared overall carrying capacity, recoil control, AP from 200mtr+ distance and fatigue on avg soldier wrt prolonged firing before selecting Ye Old 7.62X39mm??

Let me call this new trend as 6 series.

1. We have US 6.8x51mm
2. We have Russian 6.02x41mm
3. A decade back we have Chad DRDO Uncles with their 6.8x43mm.

We need to find the best of 3.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Let me call this new trend as 6 series.

1. We have US 6.8x51mm
2. We have Russian 6.02x41mm
3. A decade back we have Chad DRDO Uncles with their 6.8x43mm.

We need to find the best of 3.
The best would be to go with proven cartridge like 6.5 creedmore and make the the bullet heavier for better ballistics and terminal charecteristics, and probably up the cartridge pressures to get back the speed. Even better to design the gun and cartrigde from ground up to be chambered with polymer cased ammo, which would save weight on the bullet and allow larger ammo loads.

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
The best would be to go with proven cartridge like 6.5 creedmore and make the the bullet heavier for better ballistics and terminal charecteristics, and probably up the cartridge pressures to get back the speed. Even better to design the gun and cartrigde from ground up to be chambered with polymer cased ammo, which would save weight on the bullet and allow larger ammo loads.

What about our DRDO one.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
What about our DRDO one.
that's 6.8mm Remington one and it's originally from Amreeka, it's quite old from around 2005 times;
and Remington still holds rights military version of said ammo
already covered in past

They made MCIWS already in 6.8x43mm and i've mentioned it in past many times that certain key manufacturing specifications about militray spec ammo in it are still owned by Remington and they aren't much willing to give away without some 'profit',
^this was one major reason that program to upgrade 5.56mm AR pattern rifles to 6.8x43mm did not see much success in the US
Good luck to ARDE if they are still tinkering around with rifle chambered in same one.
in past a certain episode of "Future Weapons" covered it and also mentioned that Bushmaster Inc. made a 6.8x43mm version of M4A1 Carbine for potential military purposes with promises that by only swapping barrel+bolt and bolt carrier+buffer one can easily convert any standard issue M4A1 into this calibre; or going further by just dropping newer upper receivers on existing lowers + new buffer tube etc

but it mostly didn't happen because this Remington owning rights on milspec ammo and cost-vs-benefit analysis and all

Global Defence

New threads

Articles