Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kaboom

Country flag

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
If this is what the final prototype looks like , i am disappointed . What's up with the front sight post

We should stop giving such contracts to precision machining companies , building guns is not just machining .For christ's sake give it to people who at least know guns
L1 bidding won, Kalyani and Bharat forge were disqualified and sss and jindhal were L2 and L3 so project went to L1

Corvus Splendens

Country flag

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
It's the same one that was revealed in DefExpo 2022 in Gandhinagar, Image courtesy @jik60
1704783756944.png

Now, this is super Exclusive!!!!!
you all probably have seen many small arms pictures from DefExpo2022 but no one probably has ever shown you the below;
ARDE has successfully developed 2 proto of 7.62 x 51 and 6.8mm Assault rifles each. Those are based on the newest 5.56 carbine model (See the right topmost and 2nd in the left). Also, they have modified the old rugged MAG now with a machine-manufactured body, lighter barrel, and a fixed P-Rails :

View attachment 177489
View attachment 177490
You can already notice some changes between the two, primarily, newer front iron sight post and rear iron sight which was previously INSAS styled peep one and affixed is now replaced with a Backup-Iron Sight attachment style one, while front iron sight post's been...made something like Galil ACE one? 🤷‍♂️
1704783868547.png

whatever sails their boats as long as it is functional, and of course a newer muzzle device that seems derived from later editions of JVPC and so, also they seems to have reshaped that typical INSAS Excalibur style of fire selector with a more rounded shaped one which probably aesthetically looks a bit better even if functionally it's same as before, finally the most apparent difference is Make in India emblem and naming it as 'Ughram' so at least project is progressing here

I'm glad that they are finally reworking INSAS with a receiver design that is better than typical AK style one so a big thumbs up from my side...there's still space of lots of improvements but as far as prototypes goes this seems good enough

Someone criticised magazine aspect to which i have views like
- if they want to keep continuing with nose-in-rock-back pattern magazines we already have got plenty of 1A SLR magazines from storage, should be done with that for some commonality and using old stock in handy
- STANAG pattern SR-25 mags can be adopted with this fairly easily by redesigning lower receiver section, but the only gun right now in service that takes those mags is SIG716I while all our other 7.62x51mm calibre guns have their own proprietary mags (Galil Sniper, HK PSG1//MSG90 and so)

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
It's the same one that was revealed in DefExpo 2022 in Gandhinagar, Image courtesy @jik60
View attachment 235628

You can already notice some changes between the two, primarily, newer front iron sight post and rear iron sight which was previously INSAS styled peep one and affixed is now replaced with a Backup-Iron Sight attachment style one, while front iron sight post's been...made something like Galil ACE one? 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 235629
whatever sails their boats as long as it is functional, and of course a newer muzzle device that seems derived from later editions of JVPC and so, also they seems to have reshaped that typical INSAS Excalibur style of fire selector with a more rounded shaped one which probably aesthetically looks a bit better even if functionally it's same as before, finally the most apparent difference is Make in India emblem and naming it as 'Ughram' so at least project is progressing here

I'm glad that they are finally reworking INSAS with a receiver design that is better than typical AK style one so a big thumbs up from my side...there's still space of lots of improvements but as far as prototypes goes this seems good enough

Someone criticised magazine aspect to which i have views like
- if they want to keep continuing with nose-in-rock-back pattern magazines we already have got plenty of 1A SLR magazines from storage, should be done with that for some commonality and using old stock in handy
- STANAG pattern SR-25 mags can be adopted with this fairly easily by redesigning lower receiver section, but the only gun right now in service that takes those mags is SIG716I while all our other 7.62x51mm calibre guns have their own proprietary mags (Galil Sniper, HK PSG1//MSG90 and so)
They should keep improving it ig if they pass the trails I don't think army has many other options to choose from.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
They should keep improving it ig if they pass the trails I don't think army has many other options to choose from.
well 😒 what gives you this impression, SIG SAUER lobby is too damn strong

that fork of INSAS Mk1C in 7.62 NATO was quickly made in response when army had suddenly switched their preference from multi-cal rifle to 7.62 NATO one and compared to standard INSAS 1B it was still an improvement 'specially considering its milled receiver design and yet it got that hip fire treatment from some general and comments like "recoil kaafi hai iska" and rejection over such things, while that weimerican SIG SAUER fires same ammo and literally pushes our guys backwards (do not ask me there were already videos of same) par waha toh 'sab chungus hai si' ho jata hai

so i really don't have much hope except perhaps it'll replace 1A SLRs in paramilitary wings like CAPF-CRPF, BSF and so

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
well 😒 what gives you this impression, SIG SAUER lobby is too damn strong

that fork of INSAS Mk1C in 7.62 NATO was quickly made in response when army had suddenly switched their preference from multi-cal rifle to 7.62 NATO one and compared to standard INSAS 1B it was still an improvement 'specially considering its milled receiver design and yet it got that hip fire treatment from some general and comments like "recoil kaafi hai iska" and rejection over such things, while that weimerican SIG SAUER fires same ammo and literally pushes our guys backwards (do not ask me there were already videos of same) par waha toh 'sab chungus hai si' ho jata hai

so i really don't have much hope except perhaps it'll replace 1A SLRs in paramilitary wings like CAPF-CRPF, BSF and so
I have seen the vids and I am very well aware of what you are talking about but I thought after the repeat order for sigs given last month that chapter would be closed and will look for indegenious options seems like I was too naive.

tomthounaojam

Country flag
The new gun is called Ugram and Dvipa Armour, I've never heard of it before tho. It was made using Austrian tooling and took only 100 days cause ARDe said the plan was already ready! So, it was just an ARDE gun made by a private company.

mamamia12

The new gun is called Ugram and Dvipa Armour, I've never heard of it before tho. It was made using Austrian tooling and took only 100 days cause ARDe said the plan was already ready! So, it was just an ARDE gun made by a private company.
When will India invest in Tooling, I don't know. Even the mighty Soviet Union at its peak has to smuggle CNC Machines from Japan to make its Armaments.

tomthounaojam

Country flag
When will India invest in Tooling, I don't know. Even the mighty Soviet Union at its peak has to smuggle CNC Machines from Japan to make its Armaments.
There are several reasons for this, but I believe it primarily stems from a lack of market demand. Recently, I came across a video discussing the oversaturation of the gun market, where even major players like Beretta are struggling, especially in the USA, despite it being the largest market. Now, consider our situation. Moreover, India has one of the most stringent gun laws, making it challenging to obtain a gun permit and purchase one, not to mention the exorbitant prices. Recently, CMT Glock encountered issues; they were merely selling guns with assembled parts. Additionally, tooling involves a substantial investment. Even if we acquire the necessary tooling, the market outlook appears bleak, exacerbating the problem.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
We need to invest on metallurgy.The kind of metallurgy used in small arms is mediocre.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
We need to invest in metallurgy. The kind of metallurgy used in small arms is mediocre.
Private companies would happily pump in the money if they are incentivized. Currently, even if they pumped in some money and got some new form of alloy for the barrels, they will have to fend off as the Army will buy imported guns only and thus these companies will end up becoming component suppliers to the international arms market to survive.

Why are we so kanjoos in mag capacity? Would it kill them to make a 30-round clip as a standard issue?

tomthounaojam

Country flag
Private companies would happily pump in the money if they are incentivized. Currently, even if they pumped in some money and got some new form of alloy for the barrels, they will have to fend off as the Army will buy imported guns only and thus these companies will end up becoming component suppliers to the international arms market to survive.
I beg to differ unless their is a civilian market other than the military no point, the military will order 5-6 lac one type of weapon and use it for 30 years, what about the manufacture during that period? To keep the people employed there should be a continuous process. Hence, I told you most people are just assembling parts and this has brought conflict with the government make-in-India policy. We, need a gun market, but India easy access to gun would be a mess, a Catch-22 here

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles