Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
What a funny place and what a funny army procurement of rifles we have , there are french too who are simialr to us but on the opposite end .
We don't like anything our own nation makes ، and reasons and fault is with both the user and the manufacturer aka the ofb .
Now let's see what french do
MAS_Modèle_36_noBG.png

The rifle above is called as MAS 36 rifle .
It fires a 7.5 french round . This rifle had no safety on the assumption that a french soldoer will fire only on order of officer so no round in the chamber was needed hence french soldier was drilled to keep his chamber empty and check every time before disposing his rifle to the armory that chamber was indeed empty.
This was a funny practice as was found out later .
Also this rifle is rather small than a Lee Enfield and has a 5 round clip capacity.
The thing in picture was made in 1930s to replace the Lebel rifle
325px-Lebel_Mle._1886.jpeg
and the 8 mm
8mm_Lebel_Tarbes-01.jpg
ammunition it fired along with the berthier carbine and it's rifle versions
Carbine_Berthier_M1916_(Swedish_Army_Museum).png
a137e0_13c7fae658e44dcb88384e5db486ac05_mv2.png

Now french wanted to standardize like anything .
So instead of making new rifles , they converted these berthier and lebeles in 7.5 french ammo.
images - 2023-09-24T212618.315.jpeg

Thing is actually MAS 36 was meant for rear troops like reservist , arty , armor Guys etc who could take it a little easy.
The frontline troops or the majority were to be issued with this
images - 2023-09-24T212447.917.jpeg
MAS 44 . It's semi auto and fires 7.5 mm french .
Then painter guy invaded France and only a couple of thousand of mas 36 which were already in production were thrusted to front line guys but then they were defeted .
Still MAS 36 saw usage among free french and Vichy fremch forces
In 1944 the factory at Saint Etienne was liberated, and production of MAS44 was started
It's was further modified in 1949 with a radium dot on the front sight , and a grenade firing capability too along with. 10 round magzine as compared to 5 round stripper clip of mas 36 and mas 44 ,which while was a semi auto but still had 5 round clip
MAS_Mle._49-56_with_APX_Scope_and_Bayonet.jpg

This thing here is final version of this family used till 1970s before being replaced by FAMAS 5.56 mm , the rifle in above pic is called MAS 49/56
800px-133_C_C_Chauvet_(Caporal_de_relève)_montrant_un_MAS_49_56_(FSA)_devant_le_poste_de_polic...jpg

It saw extensive usage in Vietnam and Algeria .
Was reliable and well liked by troops
But still lacked pistol grip .
Now the french are a akward bunch of people , they wanted to confirm to NATO standard of 7.62 ×51 mm so they made these

A doomsday fremch SLR called as MAS 62 which took 10 whole years to make

View attachment 223708

Last edited:

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
images - 2023-09-24T214011.102.jpeg
images - 2023-09-24T214017.869.jpeg
french SLR called as MAS 62 and the below pic is a mas 49 converted to 7.62 ammo
images - 2023-09-24T214109.039.jpeg

These are fremch attempts at 7.62 ammo but these failed ultimately
And France stuck to simple MAS 49 /56.
I wrote the above rant because I felt like it and because see how french army values it's indigenous guns unlike ours.

WolfPack86

Country flag
INDIAN ARMY TO GET MADE-IN-INDIA SNIPER RIFLES DEVELOPED BY BANGALORE-BASED SSS DEFENCE
In line with the central government's push to make India a major defence manufacturing hub, a firm based in Bangalore has developed the country's first indigenous sniper rifle prototypes that are meant for use by the Indian armed forces.

SSS Defence, which has developed two sniper rifles, is hoping to lead the way for India to become a arms manufacturing and exporting hub.

"We started designing and developing these rifles after ''make in India'' came in the defence sector. We became one of the few manufacturers allowed to develop arms in the country. These two weapons are entirely made indigenously," SSS Defence Managing Director (MD) Satish R Machani said on Sunday.

The 61-year-old company earlier used to manufacture components (mainly springs) for the automotive industry.

"We have also been supplying components for the defence sector. Our idea is to have a complete system of arms for our forces and we eventually hope to become an arms exporter. Obviously, we have to put in a lot more work to make our weapons global level but we have an excellent Research and Development centre," Mr Machani said.

Reactions: SKC

SKC

Country flag
View attachment 223715View attachment 223717french SLR called as MAS 62 and the below pic is a mas 49 converted to 7.62 ammo
View attachment 223716
I wrote the above rant because I felt like it and because see how french army values it's indigenous guns unlike ours.
And I thought Indians made the worst design arms in the world!

French out of all (known for appreciation for beauty) made such horrendous designs!

SKC

Country flag
View attachment 223715View attachment 223717french SLR called as MAS 62 and the below pic is a mas 49 converted to 7.62 ammo
View attachment 223716
What a funny place and what a funny army procurement of rifles we have , there are french too who are simialr to us but on the opposite end .
We don't like anything our own nation makes ، and reasons and fault is with both the user and the manufacturer aka the ofb .
Now let's see what french do View attachment 223705
The rifle above is called as MAS 36 rifle .
It fires a 7.5 french round . This rifle had no safety on the assumption that a french soldoer will fire only on order of officer so no round in the chamber was needed hence french soldier was drilled to keep his chamber empty and check every time before disposing his rifle to the armory that chamber was indeed empty.
This was a funny practice as was found out later .
Also this rifle is rather small than a Lee Enfield and has a 5 round clip capacity.
The thing in picture was made in 1930s to replace the Lebel rifle View attachment 223709and the 8 mm View attachment 223710ammunition it fired along with the berthier carbine and it's rifle versions View attachment 223706View attachment 223707
Now french wanted to standardize like anything .
So instead of making new rifles , they converted these berthier and lebeles in 7.5 french ammo.View attachment 223711
Thing is actually MAS 36 was meant for rear troops like reservist , arty , armor Guys etc who could take it a little easy.
The frontline troops or the majority were to be issued with this View attachment 223712 MAS 44 . It's semi auto and fires 7.5 mm french .
Then painter guy invaded France and only a couple of thousand of mas 36 which were already in production were thrusted to front line guys but then they were defeted .
Still MAS 36 saw usage among free french and Vichy fremch forces
In 1944 the factory at Saint Etienne was liberated, and production of MAS44 was started
It's was further modified in 1949 with a radium dot on the front sight , and a grenade firing capability too along with. 10 round magzine as compared to 5 round stripper clip of mas 36 and mas 44 ,which while was a semi auto but still had 5 round clip
View attachment 223713
This thing here is final version of this family used till 1970s before being replaced by FAMAS 5.56 mm , the rifle in above pic is called MAS 49/56
View attachment 223714
It saw extensive usage in Vietnam and Algeria .
Was reliable and well liked by troops
But still lacked pistol grip .
Now the french are a akward bunch of people , they wanted to confirm to NATO standard of 7.62 ×51 mm so they made these

A doomsday fremch SLR called as MAS 62 which took 10 whole years to make

View attachment 223708
Excellent update!

ManhattanProject

Country flag
And I thought Indians made the worst design arms in the world!

French out of all (known for appreciation for beauty) made such horrendous designs!
They are not horrible, they are cultured. It takes some class to appreciate french design, get a cofee and light a cigarette and you will understand.

SKC

Country flag
They are not horrible, they are cultured. It takes some class to appreciate french design, get a cofee and light a cigarette and you will understand.
Tried it but failed. Went to Famas and it is all good now!

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Tried it but failed. Went to Famas and it is all good now!
OH MON DIEU !!!!
You call those ugly sir but beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.
@ManhattanProject is right or not about having a class to like French things that I do not no but I can safely say iam not someone having a lot of class .
But since the day I have seen french guns , all other guns look ugly to me .
Oh you ask , what I will not give to go back in history and make Indian army adopt french infantry weapons.
What I won't give to see indian soldiers in Dhaka marching with MAS 49/56 in their hands.
Here see these , and tell me how can one hate the french guns , to me they are the notion of Beauty and elegance objectified sir .
images - 2023-09-25T224009.703.jpeg

French sniper rifle , I wished we used this instead of SVD.
800px-Mitrailleuse-IMG_1728.jpg

How beautiful it looks compared to FN mag gpmg
DCB_Shooting_FR_F1_right_side.jpg

And the FR F1 sniper rifle precursor to FR F2.
Ask me why I like them ? Because to me these look elegant and they are not British

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
I have not heard of any other rifle sans mas 49 to have a radium dot mounted in the front sight to help the user fire effectively at night time also.
Talk about inbuilt night vision , french did it.
The Lebel rifle was first rifle in whole world to use smokeless cartridge.
French are indeed innovators.and good ones at that .
@ALBY
@FalconSlayers
@Tactical Doge
@ManhattanProject
@SKC

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
I have not heard of any other rifle sans mas 49 to have a radium dot mounted in the front sight to help the user fire effectively at night time also.
plenty of rifles in past have had these sort of illuminated sights for night-fighting things; mostly using tritium paints or vials 🤷‍♂️
before advent of night vision scopes and those head-mounted night visioning systems and all it was a standard practice to have such arrangements on fighting rifles for night fighter units 🤷‍♂️

e.g. Galil's night sights
1695671639242.png

SKC

Country flag
OH MON DIEU !!!!
You call those ugly sir but beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.
@ManhattanProject is right or not about having a class to like French things that I do not no but I can safely say iam not someone having a lot of class .
But since the day I have seen french guns , all other guns look ugly to me .
Oh you ask , what I will not give to go back in history and make Indian army adopt french infantry weapons.
What I won't give to see indian soldiers in Dhaka marching with MAS 49/56 in their hands.
Here see these , and tell me how can one hate the french guns , to me they are the notion of Beauty and elegance objectified sir .View attachment 223845
French sniper rifle , I wished we used this instead of SVD.
View attachment 223846
How beautiful it looks compared to FN mag gpmg
View attachment 223847
And the FR F1 sniper rifle precursor to FR F2.
Ask me why I like them ? Because to me these look elegant and they are not British
Tumhe hi mubrak ho aisi Beauty!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles