Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vikram314

Country flag

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
1667898751160.png
Like the way the INSAS LMG and this BSF Troopers moustache looks. Almost all veterans I’ve spoken to who have used the INSAS family have had decent things to say about the LMG variant and mostly meh things of the rifle.
I wonder why OFB or ARDE never created a higher capacity drum magazine for it, as for a 5.56x45mm NATO rifle, IMO a 30 round magazine is too less. Perhaps still a remnant of the Bren 7.62 NATO LMG which with the Indian Armed forces uses a 30 round magazine.
Perhaps like an equivalent of the LMG variant of the QBZ-95 or the RPK 74
1667899491527.jpeg
1667899537043.jpeg
1667899761147.jpeg

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
View attachment 180916Like the way the INSAS LMG and this BSF Troopers moustache looks. Almost all veterans I’ve spoken to who have used the INSAS family have had decent things to say about the LMG variant and mostly meh things of the rifle.
I wonder why OFB or ARDE never created a higher capacity drum magazine for it, as for a 5.56x45mm NATO rifle, IMO a 30 round magazine is too less. Perhaps still a remnant of the Bren 7.62 NATO LMG which with the Indian Armed forces uses a 30 round magazine.
Perhaps like an equivalent of the LMG variant of the QBZ-95 or the RPK 74
View attachment 180917View attachment 180918View attachment 180919
AFAIK, drum mags tend to be a bit finnicky when it comes to design.....Plus space concerns, they pack worse than straight mags. I would think that INSAS LMG is supposed to fire short bursts only (in theory at the very least, though Ive seen vids of troops mag dumping faster than torture tests) becuase it doesnt have a changeable barrel. For those rates of fire, 30 rounds is fine, I think even russian standard issue with rpk was stick mags only (though 40 rounds).

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Like the way the INSAS LMG and this BSF Troopers moustache looks. Almost all veterans I’ve spoken to who have used the INSAS family have had decent things to say about the LMG variant and mostly meh things of the rifle.
Please ask them if it's because LMG variant has full auto mode on it while Rifle variant has 3-round burst, there is a lesson to be learnt here.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Please ask them if it's because LMG variant has full auto mode on it while Rifle variant has 3-round burst, there is a lesson to be learnt here.
That and relatively better reliability from the rifle, especially compared to the initial versions, they attributed to the locally made 5.56 Rounds performing better with the longer and heavier profile barrel and other parts that were strengthened to be used on this gun due to it’s greater rate of fire, which they’ve also appreciated and used as a DMR due to it’s superior accuracy albeit with the OFB 4x sight or the thermal nightnsights which are magnified. The full auto functionality in my view is also another reason why they preferred AKMs over INSAS Rifles.
Even with the rifles, they were all of the opinion that it’s issues were definitely blown out of proportion and most of the basic issues were rectified in later batches. Though the fit and finish issues still persisted, and there was nothing great about the rifle, but it wasn’t bad as it was made out to be.
But for the present day battle field it is way out of date.

Last edited:

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Agar dushman se snaeper ki close me ladai hui tab kiya karoge aap ?

Probably indian army
You do realise how heavy a sniper is, it can never be used with a bayonet which is meant for assault rifles. Someone needs to reform the military procurement.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag

BSF Trooper with an SLR? and Rifle Grenade.View attachment 180694
SLR with rifle grenades is well known thing, but i find no pictures/videos or even mentions of INSAS rifle being used as launcher for (any type of) rifle grenade whatsoever - DESPITE IT BEING A PURPOSE BUILD RIFLE GRENADE LAUNCHING RIFLE!
It's as if they took FNC's rifle grenade launching features and just didn't implement it in practice or moved on to 40mm UBGL thing in midway
1668064026379.png

FNC with ;practice; pattern blue-tip rifle grenade, notice grenade itself has flip-up sight on it and a shooter's supposed to align a required distance post with that v-notch of gas cut-off lever and shoot a blank round to launch it (with gas system cut-off engaged = no self-cycling of firearm)

INSAS is exactly same thing but there are no such rifle grenades for it ? what gives ?

Last edited:

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Insas muzzle is meant for standard rifle grenade same as SLR
The kind of projector (=launcher) used for SLR grenade is this one,
1668097471276.png

it clips on the bayonet lug of loong muzzle device of 1A SLR and diameter of this is some 22 mm

so the kind of grenades that goes on this would work with INSAS' muzzle device doubling as grenade launcher only if that has same sort of diameter and if it could provide similar level of sealing for those gases coming out from the barrel to propell it

any info about diameter of INSAS' muzzle device ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles