Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Killbot

Country flag
But at what cost sirji? With an MRP of 2200$ per piece(if separate 300 blackout barrel and parts are not bought), MCX remains a SINGLE CAL weapon for us. An average Excalibur MK1 would cost anywhere around 600$ to 800$ after all such mods done as above. Not only you can buy 3 modded Excaliburs but also optics for it can also be bought.
I agree 100% that MCX is a completely different beast and is my personal favourite NON AR rifle. But when it comes to arming 100s of thousands of soldiers with a rifle that is easy to learn, less on recoil, extreme condition tested, easy to disassemble and reinstall and cheap, then I guess nothing beats a regular INSAS family rifle. Now I am also 100% sure that if quality of materials like polymer, metal and quality of craftmanship is improved, INSAS will become one of the most versatile battle proven rifles to ever exist on earth(point here being cheap and easy to produce in mass).
I only had a qualm with you comparing INSAS with MCX. INSAS is not cheap by any means. OFB charges $700 per piece. Quoted upwards of $1000 for Excalibur. But that is because OFB is corrupt

Whitecollar

Country flag
I only had a qualm with you comparing INSAS with MCX. INSAS is not cheap by any means. OFB charges $700 per piece. Quoted upwards of $1000 for Excalibur. But that is because OFB is corrupt
That's why I had said to include a private vendor for this fiasco. OFB urgently needs a management overhaul. I hope they get corporatized soon enough or just sold off to some private firm.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
That's why I had said to include a private vendor for this fiasco. OFB urgently needs a management overhaul. I hope they get corporatized soon enough or just sold off to some private firm.
The british SA80 was one of the worst weapons that had all the problems a gun could have in its a1 varient but the british hired H&k and created a2 version.now its one of the best (according to brits) but with the insas later variants addressed the problems but still it got replaced .the SA80 with its problems served from 1987 to the present day with no plans to replace it but our INSAS got ditched in 17+ years.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
The british SA80 was one of the worst weapons that had all the problems a gun could have in its a1 varient but the british hired H&k and created a2 version.now its one of the best (according to brits) but with the insas later variants addressed the problems but still it got replaced .the SA80 with its problems served from 1987 to the present day with no plans to replace it but our INSAS got ditched in 17+ years.
Similar case is with m16s. Initial problems took 20+ years to solve.
Now the design is over 60 years in service in its avatars.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
INSAS doesn't have any problem in basic function it's an AK with long barrel to provide better accuracy and range.

Rest issues are pure ergonomics production process and materials used related

Killbot

Country flag
Private vendor will not invest. Too low return for venture capital. So, here we are. Only successful private vendors will be ones manufacturing foreign weapons here. That is why SSS is such a huge question mark.

Marliii

Country flag
Private vendor will not invest. Too low return for venture capital. So, here we are. Only successful private vendors will be ones manufacturing foreign weapons here. That is why SSS is such a huge question mark.
Are SSS def gonna participate in carbine tender??

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Are SSS def gonna participate in carbine tender??
No they are just for fun, they’ll not do anything as their carbine is useless. They should focus on AR-15s not CZ BREN knockoffs.

Marliii

Country flag
No they are just for fun, they’ll not do anything as their carbine is useless. They should focus on AR-15s not CZ BREN knockoffs.
No news from them for 1 year now probably see them in next def expo

Spindrift

The government needs to make it easy for civilians to acquire firearms licenses and allow civilians to hold more then 2 firearms and allow the private vendor to make products for the civilian firearms market and thats the only way private vendors will invest in this sector.

Killbot

Country flag
The government needs to make it easy for civilians to acquire firearms licenses and allow civilians to hold more then 2 firearms and allow the private vendor to make products for the civilian firearms market and thats the only way private vendors will invest in this sector.
My wet dream.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Nah its not, USA has killings everyday with licensed firearms, US Capitol hill violence invited people with licensed firearms, atleast there people are somewhat educated and well off, here even cheap f*cked up quality haryanvi kattas have created a menace.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Nah its not, USA has killings everyday with licensed firearms, US Capitol hill violence invited people with licensed firearms, atleast there people are somewhat educated and well off, here even cheap f*cked up quality haryanvi kattas have created a menace.
Bhai you might like to check crime statistics in the US as well as lists of convicted shooters there,
despite being x percent of populaion...

notaname

Country flag
Bhai you might like to check crime statistics in the US as well as lists of convicted shooters there,
despite being x percent of populaion...
Also we need to take in consideration the crimes it may reduce if you own a gun then many theifs will also hesitate to rob.

Spindrift

Licensed firearms where never a problem in India. Take for example the recent fiasco on the 26th of Jan, the people who participated in that were mostly form Punjab and I can guarantee you that about 30 to 40% of them would be owing licensed firearms and yet they did not use them. Same case when the riots happened when Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh was convicted, the police found about 60 licensed firearms belonging to his devotes at his HQ, but none of them were used in the riots.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles