Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
I heard a friend of mine saying that most of SSS defence rifles and small arms are just rebranded foreign guns mainly from Europe and America, how true is it.
If this is true can any of you good folks name those foreign companies
all of that is covered up in both this very thread, and also in the one i linked below

ManhattanProject

Country flag
I heard a friend of mine saying that most of SSS defence rifles and small arms are just rebranded foreign guns mainly from Europe and America, how true is it.
they are probably machining the reciever and the lower and maybe the handguard, rest i think is imported for now. They are a spring company so maybe the buffer spring and other small springs for detent etc?

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag

They are pretty much manufacturing a tired and tested AR series rifles. Nothing innovative to pattern. Only main point is it should not be dependent on Foreign support like this current AK203 situation and it should fire without issue.

standard snowball

Country flag
They are pretty much manufacturing a tired and tested AR series rifles. Nothing innovative to pattern. Only main point is it should not be dependent on Foreign support like this current AK203 situation and it should fire without issue.
I don't know much about small arms design apart from the fact that it shoots bullets So my questions may come as naive but here we go
1. When you say they are just making an AR series rifle do you mean instead of designing a brand new rifle themselves like the Chinese (read. QBZ 191) they have taken an American rifle design and are making that in India.

2. If yes then is it through any sort of tie up or they have just blatantly copied a rifle design with some tweaks here and there (like the various clones of AK 47 present throughout the world).

3. Do they have the Machinery to mass produce their products with reasonable quality or do they import it in form of CKD kits from foreign manufacturers

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
I don't know much about small arms design apart from the fact that it shoots bullets So my questions may come as naive but here we go
1. When you say they are just making an AR series rifle do you mean instead of designing a brand new rifle themselves like the Chinese (read. QBZ 191) they have taken an American rifle design and are making that in India.

2. If yes then is it through any sort of tie up or they have just blatantly copied a rifle design with some tweaks here and there (like the various clones of AK 47 present throughout the world).

3. Do they have the Machinery to mass produce their products with reasonable quality or do they import it in form of CKD kits from foreign manufacturers
1.> took american design, making it in india; but that design itself is out of copyright restrictions since years now, anyone can make it; even ;design papers; and so are in public domain if you know how to source it
2.> even if it's copy and all the basic model they are offering is good enough, what else you could expect from these
3.> no idea but hey do seem to have machines; being in spring manufacturing stuff since long

standard snowball

Country flag
1.> took american design, making it in india; but that design itself is out of copyright restrictions since years now, anyone can make it; even ;design papers; and so are in public domain if you know how to source it
2.> even if it's copy and all the basic model they are offering is good enough, what else you could expect from these
3.> no idea but hey do seem to have machines; being in spring manufacturing stuff since long
Thankyou for answering my questions clearly and concisely, cheers 🍻🍻

1 teeny tiny question what American design are we talking about here (as in what specific model)

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag

1. They are just taking out an existing design blueprint. Nothing special about the gun.
2. They initially tied up with LMT but it was a sham due to US wepons policy. Thus they are independent. Design -- In this thread our members have discussed that few AR guns blueprint got available openly and looks like SSS and Astr got hold of them and able to manufacture. Nothing to think, these guns patterns long gone and anyone can make it nowadays.

3. Based on the video they shared looks like they have machines to manufacture guns. But not any detailed info available for us.

As long as they can able to manufacture a good rifle with good reliability they can win tenders in India or some foreign countries.

standard snowball

Country flag
1. They are just taking out an existing design blueprint. Nothing special about the gun.
2. They initially tied up with LMT but it was a sham due to US wepons policy. Thus they are independent. Design -- In this thread our members have discussed that few AR guns blueprint got available openly and looks like SSS and Astr got hold of them and able to manufacture. Nothing to think, these guns patterns long gone and anyone can make it nowadays.

3. Based on the video they shared looks like they have machines to manufacture guns. But not any detailed info available for us.

As long as they can able to manufacture a good rifle with good reliability they can win tenders in India or some foreign countries.
On a totally unrelated note why are the Chinese spending money on researching a small arms weapon design when they can just use the American designs which are now out in the open.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
On a totally unrelated note why are the Chinese spending money on researching a small arms weapon design when they can just use the American designs which are now out in the open.
they kopied AR-15 WAYYY before we did
search Norinco CQ
they have virtually kopied all other firearms even HK416
and i believe they must be having some kopied production of captured INSAS too :lol:

but thing is, Chinese have their own firearms doctrine and needs and demands, in past when they were aligned with the Soviets and got most of their defense needs satisfied from them, they kept kopies of Soviet firearms like SKS, AK-47 etc
but experience have taught that being dependable on others is not a correct thing for steady supplies; so they did their best to go self reliant in every possible way regd defense needs at least

and no, it's not true that they just "kopy", they have made their own firearms in past of varied designs
for e.g.
this Type 63 rifle, their first ever domestically designed and produced carbine // assault rifle thing
1694446203219.png

to Type 81
1694446243863.png

^these both were in principle same working design internally,
basically an AK pattern rotatig bolt on SKS rifle
but Type-63 mostly failed because they housed metal receiver section in a wood stock = body, and they learnt from experience the design was fragile as it suffered cracks and issues
Type-81 mostly solved it all as they made it with metallic body, and became their service rifle for long until they decided to go ahead with their own calibre after experimenting with american and soviet intermediate calibre ammo and all;
finally made Type 95 which became standard before end of the millenium etc

there are other notable unique designs from them, just refer this wikipedia page to get some idea

SKC

Country flag

Arms world is currently devided into Two major camps:
1. AR - Design patents expired long back and whole mechanism is out in public.
2. AK - Izhmash factory was able to procure Patents in 1997. Kalashnikov never acquired any patents. Not sure if the Izhmash patents still holds.

These are not the only two camps but the major one.

There is a separate Camp of Self balancing or Zero Recoil guns, but those designs are generally overly complicated, time and money consuming in production.

So, if you want to enter this market then following AR design makes all the sense.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
As long as they can able to manufacture a good rifle with good reliability they can win tenders in India or some foreign countries
Let's see until now
Around 1k AK mod orders
Unspecified draganov mod kits orders
5.56 ammo order from Nepal
A good news there was talk about but never revealed could be order or something else we don't know but until now this is what they have got

Reactions: SKC

Global Defence

Articles