Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
I don’t know the rationale behind people chanting P-72 P-72 ..That rifle hasn’t been fired even once.Just because one Indian made firm displayed a prototype doesn’t mean it is a fully functional weapon and it will in default be. a reliable weapon.As far as now they haven’t provided even a single peice for testing for forces

SilentlAssassin265

Country flag
I don’t know the rationale behind people chanting P-72 P-72 ..That rifle hasn’t been fired even once.Just because one Indian made firm displayed a prototype doesn’t mean it is a fully functional weapon and it will in default be. a reliable weapon.As far as now they haven’t provided even a single peice for testing for forces
That's why i suggested earlier that sss should consider us civilians market where people are more curious about trying new guns

ManhattanProject

Country flag
There was video of them firing the Ar-15 clone but the charging handle came loose with every shot fired.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
They have options for pic rails and folding stocks, the CISF did not bother asking for those options.
When they haven't used such before how would they ask for it. And they are already charging them exorbitant amount for these.

It must be the OFB premium cost otherwise why they didn't opted for folding buttstocks which are very useful in handling while doing day to day duties.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
When they haven't used such before how would they ask for it. And they are already charging them exorbitant amount for these.

It must be the OFB premium cost otherwise why they didn't opted for folding buttstocks which are very useful in handling while doing day to day duties.
Ask that to CISF, they didnt ask for folding stocks.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Here's something for you all guys, anyone whoever can dig up any data, especially for OGs like @Johny_Baba @Aditya Ballal @ALBY @SKC @Flying Dagger @ManhattanProject

It takes just two or three pics and we can very clearly figure out how exactly a particular indigenous firearm works or from where it's been copied. Similar for performance; most performance issues can be simply estimated from pics others often very easily leaks out on Twitter.
But perhaps the only thing that's most difficult to figure out is cost.
Is there any way we can compile a database of the unit cost of Indian firearms and accessories? OFB, IDDMS or JVs; all of them.

There's nothing hard and fast in this. I know it can take months.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Here's something for you all guys, anyone whoever can dig up any data, especially for OGs like @Johny_Baba @Aditya Ballal @ALBY @SKC @Flying Dagger @ManhattanProject

It takes just two or three pics and we can very clearly figure out how exactly a particular indigenous firearm works or from where it's been copied. Similar for performance; most performance issues can be simply estimated from pics others often very easily leaks out on Twitter.
Is there any way we can compile a database of the unit cost of Indian firearms and accessories? OFB, IDDMS or JVs; all of them.

@ALBY @binayak95 or any other veterans or those who are still working in organisations that use them can most definitely help with this.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
@ALBY @binayak95 or any other veterans or those who are still working in organisations that use them can most definitely help with this.
It will definitely be a pain in ass to collect data...but upon completion it should be fun.

We can get a price difference in case of JVs; say a US retail Galil vs what PLR are asking.
For OFB we'll get an idea on why we haven't been able to export significantly.
For IDDMs it'll paint the picture on what exactly they think about their worth. And also the markup they charge.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
It will definitely be a pain in ass to collect data...but upon completion it should be fun.

We can get a price difference in case of JVs; say a US retail Galil vs what PLR are asking.
For OFB we'll get an idea on why we haven't been able to export significantly.
For IDDMs it'll paint the picture on what exactly they think about their worth. And also the markup they charge.
True, but it’s definitely going to be challenging, plus the indian mentality of not revealing a thing about their costs and selling prices in the name of “Trade Sekrits” will play a part. Atleast the US has the civvie market to give us something to compare to.

The Shrike

Country flag

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
Another contender for intermediate caliber weapon.
I'd take this over the MCX Spear, probably cheaper to run too.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Another contender for intermediate caliber weapon.
i am concerned about fact that, they thickened up midsection where those two charging handle resides inside, but didn't bother to give a dust cover to ejection port side ? there is chance that outside material can literally "sink" inside working parts through that deep, ;well shaped; ejection port

so reliability wise it seems average design to me, addition of typical AR style dust cover would possibly change a lot on this

also those big slots on charging handles thing itself, but i guess that downturn design that keeps it closed when charging handle is not engaged etc somewhat seals it so okayish in my pov 🤷‍♂️

BlackViking

Country flag

NAC AK Upgrade Kit for 600+ rifles
Required accessories:
1. Quad Rail Handguard
2. Folding Foregrip
3. Pointing Grip
4. 17-slot Rail dust cover with retention
5. Pistol Grip
6. Folding Buttstock with removable rubberized cheek rest and cell storage

the sanctioned amount per set was INR ~75000.00
Tender was won by SSS, don't know what was their quote.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
It's going to be a long post...but again that's what Lonewarrior is infamous for.

After AK and AR; MCX is probably the most mature platform on the planet.

Let's see its competitors

1. SCAR
As of now SCAR has seen only two major updation. One being SCAR-SC or PDW where the simply shortened the barrel and the other being SCAR Mk-II (earlier called NRCH) where the added non-reciprocating charging handle after almost 15 years of people complaining.

2. MSBS
As of now only two major updation; one being done after too much of issues in the field and other being up-gunning it to 7.62x51mm.

3. Masada
Even after back-and-forth selling among Magpul, Bushmaster and Remington it remained very much the same.

4. Type 20
Nothing

5. HK433
Despite having five or six iterations, it won't be counted as they are pre-production updation; no post.

Now come to MCX
1. Three generations of MCX only
2. Further evolution of MCX as Virtus; again you have generation in it.
3. MCX was up-gunned to 7.62x51mm MCX-MR for US Army's CSASS competition.
4. MCX-MR was modified for NGSW program with reciprocating barrel recoil reduction system.
5. The aforementioned system was again simplified with the recoil reduction system being removed; ultimately this same configuration got selected as M-5.
6. The M-5 version was again scaled down to 5.56x45mm and launched as Spear-LT.
7. Other than these incremental developments you also have MCX Rattler; a .300 BLK PDW

New threads

Articles