Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lonewarrior

Country flag
As per LoI sent out last year , this rifle was supposed to have 2 configurations : 1 as a sniper , other as semi auto marksman rifle.

@Lonewolf @Johny_Baba any ideas how they can do that? Separate receivers?

View attachment 126865
I don't think so.
A semi-auto no matter how accurate can never be called a sniper; only a DMR.

My one hypothesis is that they perhaps have two variants with different barrel lengths; 18-20" is DMR and 24 one is "sniper".

But what I suspect more is may be it's some kind of misunderstanding while machine translating Finnish to English. Or maybe an error by Sako sales guy with not that much technical know-how.

Otherwise it would be worth watching what a semi-auto sniper rifle looks like. Coz so far the rifle looks pretty much like all other vanilla AR-10 with addition of a Sako M10 inspired handguard.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
As per LoI sent out last year , this rifle was supposed to have 2 configurations : 1 as a sniper , other as semi auto marksman rifle.

@Lonewolf @Johny_Baba any ideas how they can do that? Separate receivers?

View attachment 126865
Ah i am not sure what is their definitions for sniping weapon and a DMR,
but based on commonly known things, let's say,
Sniping Variant could be something like having
=> longer, heavier, accurised barrel with probably polygonal rifling something, free floating type and given overall covering to conceal mirage ?
=> adjustable length of pull trigger group ?
=> more adjustments in buttstock etc, plus a rear monopod something ?
=> custom scope something ?
=> fires match grade ammo ?
=> about 1-1.5 MOA accuracy ?
=> some special features like ability to switch off gas system for manual ;bolt action; operation firing ?

while DMR one could be more near to conventional semi-auto rifle but still more accurate etc, something like
=> shorter, lighte barrel profile, probably of stainless steel, regular grooved rifling and of course free floating type ?
=> regular trigger group with fixed length of pull ?
=> conventional pattern adjustable buttstock, probably with extra adjustments in cheek piece etc ?
=> adopts to all standard military scopes ?
=> meant to fire all available ammo with acceptable accuracy ?

of course these are some speculations and i dunno much about their definitions, so let's wait and see what is coming out from this procurement...

Last edited:

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

Apologies if already posted
1640106033523.png

Indian Air Force personnel with SiG-716i 7.62x51 mm NATO BFR. 4K out of the first batch of 72.4K Rifles were meant for Indian Air Force. They've also ordered 70K AK-103 Rifles from Russia. The combination will replace INSAS Rifles currently in service with the Force.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Molot HPE 140.
No you could clearly see H&K markings on that 416 there, even if image is blurry

perhaps that long DMR-ish rifle is their own AR thing but no doubt there is an HK416 there.

Also it is a general misconception that russians don't use western guns,
there already were some pics of post-USSR spetnaz operatives using AUG and MP5 out there,
then those pics of them using B&T MP9,
and an AR is second most common firearm out there in shear numbers, still being mass produced, how hard it would be for them to get some anyway...yha ke aire gaire wannabe militans le aate hain blek market se toh yeh mighty russian machinery nahi laa sakate...

MisraZ

Country flag
No you could clearly see H&K markings on that 416 there, even if image is blurry

perhaps that long DMR-ish rifle is their own AR thing but no doubt there is an HK416 there.

Also it is a general misconception that russians don't use western guns,
there already were some pics of post-USSR spetnaz operatives using AUG and MP5 out there,
then those pics of them using B&T MP9,
and an AR is second most common firearm out there in shear numbers, still being mass produced, how hard it would be for them to get some anyway...yha ke aire gaire wannabe militans le aate hain blek market se toh yeh mighty russian machinery nahi laa sakate...
Yes.

I think billa was talking about that scoped AR platform (hpe 140 or whatever).

We can roughly estimate that it is Heckler & Koch GmbH from the marking of 416 type AR.

Screenshot_20211222-164550_Twitter.jpg

images (55).jpeg

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
No V, only LPO
Don't worry friend, L1 in tenders will make sure ofb crude design selected as long as they qualify the requirements. Well you can have tonbo 5x optic but they don't really have any big manufacturing base and would certainly be unable to quote price less than OFB unless they tie up with some big firm I guess.
At this point we should be happy if they can even get a fixed magnification sight+ rmr combo inducted enmass in army.
Why does OFB just won't go with latest designs where each maginifying sight for rifles sports a rail at top to hold rmr sight.
images - 2021-12-22T221448.460.jpeg

images - 2021-12-22T221800.908.jpeg

Last edited:

New threads

Articles