Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
The carbine deal hopefully would do it.ak203 should be scraped so that I can die peacefully.OFB can make a better ak clone without ripping our pockets.
Metallurgy was some reasons peddled around if my memory serves right
Somehow we didn't have the right metallurgy

But looking at the QC issues from the recently popped up AKs I'm doubtful about that....very much

rkhanna

Country flag

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag

The SIG MCX may get chosen as the next gen rifle and has started reaching the troops for final trial

Fire and groove

Country flag
That's according to you not Army majority of Army personal love ak they say it's best weapon especially chambered in 7.62×39 you see few videos on youtube and make conclusion too early if army wants 5.56×45 then they will highly go for ar15 type .
Most of the infantry and the officers are taught little about ballistics. Ask them about the cross sectional density of the 7N31 or the muzzle velocity and ballistics coefficient of the Mk262 mod 0 and how they affect the trajectory, accuracy and terminal ballistics on target.

Fire and groove

Country flag
QBZ-191

View attachment 81941

View attachment 81942

View attachment 81943

View attachment 81944

Proper C-clamping being taught to PLA....and soon its going to be goodbye to the bullpup QBZ-95.
I wouldn't call that proper, trying to shoot a long distance target with C-clamp reeks of "tacticool" amateur. The C-clamp is a sure fire way of jacking up your deltoids, i'd like to see him keep a rifle stable like that hours into combat. The only real benefit it brings is better target transitioning in CQB. At range, I'd much rather preserve my energy.

Gessler

Country flag
I wouldn't call that proper, trying to shoot a long distance target with C-clamp reeks of "tacticool" amateur. The C-clamp is a sure fire way of jacking up your deltoids, i'd like to see him keep a rifle stable like that hours into combat.
Well I can't see where the targets are, can you?

Better to know all the techniques and apply each accordingly than not knowing.

The FAB AKs with optics are prime platforms for employing and getting feedback on this technique, haven't seen even top SFs employ it even in CQC, urban combat situations. It's just not taught in India.

the only real benefit it brings is better target transitioning in CQB. At range, I'd much rather preserve my energy.
And better control on muzzle climb.

Fire and groove

Country flag
Well I can't see where the targets are, can you?

Better to know all the techniques and apply each accordingly than not knowing.

The FAB AKs with optics are prime platforms for employing and getting feedback on this technique, haven't seen even top SFs employ it even in CQC, urban combat situations. It's just not taught in India.

And better control on muzzle climb.
The AK, even the FAB ones, are definitely not the most effective platform for C-clamping. The handguard isn't nearly extended far enough to get that muzzle control unlike contemporary AR-15 style rifles not to mention unless you've got optics, the thumb ends up obscuring the sight. The C-clamp is definitely a good tool to have, but it isn't revolutionary and it has it's pros and cons. I'd be more interested in seeing the real stuff like fire and maneuver drills, reaction to contact, how their COs/ JCOs and NCOs lead etc. All of these skills are not something the PLA is known for.

Gessler

Country flag
The AK, even the FAB ones, are definitely not the most effective platform for C-clamping. The handguard isn't nearly extended far enough to get that muzzle control unlike contemporary AR-15 style rifles
AK has sufficient length for effective C-clamping by an average sized man.

akm.JPG

not to mention unless you've got optics, the thumb ends up obscuring the sight.
Went over this before within the first 5 or so pages of the new SF thread.

That's why I said FAB AK - where the PDC not only allows for optics, but also brings the sight line up from where a more traditional side rail-mounted optic would have it.

And most FAB AKs we have nowadays have some optic or the other these days - especially the SF ones. And this number is only going to increase in coming years.

The C-clamp is definitely a good tool to have, but it isn't revolutionary and it has it's pros and cons. I'd be more interested in seeing the real stuff like fire and maneuver drills, reaction to contact, how their COs/ JCOs and NCOs lead etc. All of these skills are not something the PLA is known for.
True but for an outside watcher like you or me, the example of 1 technique coming over can usually serve as indication of others coming over as well - as it would imply a change in training doctrines after incorporating lessons learnt from joint exercises and what not. So far that's not happening.

Gessler

Country flag
AK has sufficient length for effective C-clamping by an average sized man.

View attachment 81990

Went over this before within the first 5 or so pages of the new SF thread.

That's why I said FAB AK - where the PDC not only allows for optics, but also brings the sight line up from where a more traditional side rail-mounted optic would have it.

And most FAB AKs we have nowadays have some optic or the other these days - especially the SF ones. And this number is only going to increase in coming years.
Russian SSO and FSB Special Purpose Centres are writing the book on AK c-clamping as we speak - with or without a long, railed handguard.

VNXqrOpNcCM.jpg

EWebdoNXQAInIaO.jpg

EK4zQHzXkAEGp-7.jpg

A long handguard would sure add more real estate for attachments - but its not necessary for effective C-clamping - not on the AK platform. That would be true on the M4 carbine platform with service-issue KAC rails, with the big front sight and short handguard.

Daisy

Russian SSO and FSB Special Purpose Centres are writing the book on AK c-clamping as we speak - with or without a long, railed handguard.

View attachment 81991

View attachment 81992

View attachment 81993

A long handguard would sure add more real estate for attachments - but its not necessary for effective C-clamping - not on the AK platform. That would be true on the M4 carbine platform with service-issue KAC rails, with the big front sight and short handguard.
Won't this obstruct case ejection ports?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles