Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Killbot

Country flag
I can’t understand using IAR instead of Drum magged LMGs.
It's their new doctrine. All members of the squad will be issued one. It is to lay down continuous suppressive fire in large volumes. This is meant to overwhelm the enemy with firepower. That is why they are using 5.56mm. Because it enables carrying of more ammo. The kills will probably be left to marksman.

Killbot

Country flag
Actually recoil is pretty low in comparison to other rifles when it comes to SCAR . Main problem is the cost vs advantage. Any decent AR copy can provide almost similar performance infact the DI version of Sig 716 costed us just 990 dollar that means we can equip almost three for the price of one .

Their magazine and stuff also comes from FN only and increase the cost.

One can definitely use it as a battle rifle but it goes against the principle of mass production at low cost if it comes from FN. The other option is going through CZ route or copy it ourselves here since they have shown us middle finger time to reply in kind.

ARAD is an AR 15 derivative... While Carmel is Further evolution of Galil based experience IWI had. These two rifles if in budget are two solid contenders else there are tons of American small arms company which can do the magic of providing a credible AR to us.

I really wish in 2020s our soldiers aren't roaming with some cheap copy of Aks but reliable and accurate rifles as they will be used till 2040s atleast and we need to keep that in mind.
SCAR-17 is a very light weapon. About 3.5kg. So it will have a tremendous recoil when firing that 7.62*51mm round. Not a problem with SCAR-16.

Killbot

Country flag
View attachment 72467
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

On a serious note, I think it's a bad choice replacing their SAW and M-4s with IARs.
I dont. I think their doctrine is pretty solid. Because the heavy barrel in the IAR means better heat dissipation which means much better accuracy and sustained rate of fire. It can be used as an AR, marksman rifle and LMG. It's an extremely versatile platform..

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I dont. I think their doctrine is pretty solid. Because the heavy barrel in the IAR means better heat dissipation which means much better accuracy and sustained rate of fire. It can be used as an AR, marksman rifle and LMG. It's an extremely versatile platform..
May be 75 round drum mags also.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Again, SCAR copy with same problems. BREN II is an ACR copy to be fair. And still, why consider that platform when superior piston driven AR-15 (CAR-816) is available?
I disagree. Absolutely different internal structure. The Czechs have a very strong weapons school. They are in the Warsaw Pact, the only ones who had their own assault rifle and not an AK.

Killbot

Country flag
I disagree. Absolutely different internal structure. The Czechs have a very strong weapons school. They are in the Warsaw Pact, the only ones who had their own assault rifle and not an AK.
That was the Vz.58. No doubt they have a strong weapons school. But the original CZ 805 BREN was a direct copy of SCAR. But the BREN 2 is different as you say.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
When will MoD babooz buy CAR-816? I’m desperate to hear a news about it. Isn’t it funny that we had a face-off with Cryna 🇨🇳 yet our Assault Rifle and Carbine deal never went through.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Why is it so that there is little to no photos of CAR-816?

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
When will MoD babooz buy CAR-816? I’m desperate to hear a news about it. Isn’t it funny that we had a face-off with Cryna 🇨🇳 yet our Assault Rifle and Carbine deal never went through.
Most likely, Never. In September 2018 it was reported that both Thales and Korean S&T Motive Korea has moved High Court against selecting Caracal 816 as L1 in FTP carbine deal. Eventually, the deal was cancelled in mid 2019.
In August 2020, the import Negative list came out which had 5.56 mm carbine.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Most likely, Never. In September 2018 it was reported that both Thales and Korean S&T Motive Korea has moved High Court against selecting Caracal 816 as L1 in FTP carbine deal. Eventually, the deal was cancelled in mid 2019.
In August 2020, the import Negative list came out which had 5.56 mm carbine.
Not import but signing a deal for Make in India.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
So what ?

CZ Bren 805 was a SCAR ripoff in and out just a little heavy .

Flying Dagger

Country flag
RFI? WTF?
That's how it happens... Unless we are looking for another AK type deal.

This time we will be getting a full on in house production instead of just buying off the shelf so one can count atleast 3 -4 years for it to materialise on ground.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles