Russian involvement in Syrian crisis

pmaitra

Folks, enjoy the Wheel of the Devil or the Devil's Wheel. To know what it is, refer to the quoted post below.

Russia airstrikes isis | Russian air strikes Kill ISIS in Idlib, Syria After Metrojet 9268
Excerpts from: http://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...indian-armys-operation-in-myanmar-233470.html

In the quote above, there is something missing.

I want to speculate as to what exactly happened. I don't know what exactly happened, but I know what exactly happened in similar situations using the Mil-35 during the Soviet-Mujahideen War in Afghanistan.

Let's recap the hardware
  • The Mil-35 is not a pure gunship. Neither is it a pure troop-transporter. It is a combination of both.
  • The Mil-35 is not a pure helicopter. Neither is it a pure airplane. It is a combination of both. While the rotors provide the main lift, so do the stub wings. This makes it a very fast aircraft, and it has to operate in a style of its own, called the "Devil's Wheel."

How the operation probably was carried out
  • Once the location was confirmed, the Mil-35 (with perhaps some HAL Dhruvs) dropped off the commandos around the target.
  • Then the light Mil-35s (with no troops, but only the pilot and gunner) all got in line, and started to make a circle, with the target being a point on the circle.
  • As the Mil-35 would fly over the target, it would unleash part of its load and fly off along the circle. The next Mil-35 would now arrive and unleash part if its load. Then the third. Then, again the first Mil-35 would be back again (remember, they are flying in a circle, one after the other). This way, these helicopters would keep circling and chewing up the target. This is called the "Devil's Wheel."
  • While the target was being engaged by the Mil-35s, some enemies would have tried to escape, who would have been engaged by the troops who have already been dropped around the target.
  • Now, with the target softened, the helicopters would have had the option to hover close to the target and take out any remaining ultras. The Mil-35 crew can be confident that no small arms or LMG fire can harm the Mil-35 even if fired from point blank range.
  • After this, the troops who have been dropped around would have moved in and carried out a final mop up of the area.
  • Now, the Mil-35 would have landed, picked up the troops, and returned to base.

pmaitra

Russia’s Syria Campaign – a Reality-Based Evaluation
The intervention has actually been a success but to appreciate that you must understand that Russian goals going in were quite limited

The Saker | Russia Insider

It has been over one month since the Russians launched their military and political operation in Syria and the time for hyperbole and flag waving has clearly passed. Gone are the “most anticipated showdown in recent history” along with rumors of MiG-31s, Russian paratroopers, “thousands” of military personnel, ballistic submarines and other such nonsense. And, contrary to what some wrote, none of what happened was “coordinated with the White House.” What I propose to do today is to evaluate what has really has happened and to look at the Russian options for the future. But first, a short restatement of what really took place.

A very daring operation by a small military force

I will never repeat this enough: the Russian military forces is a small one. Yes, they are flying an impressive amount of sorties every day (anywhere between 50 to 80). But let’s compare that to the Israeli air force effort during the war against Hezbollah in 2006 when the Israelis flew 400 (four hundred) sorties every day. Add to this the massive Israeli artillery barrage and even attacks from the Israeli Navy. Finally, let’s remember that Israel was not fighting all of Hezbollah at all, but only 2nd tier Hezbollah forces south of the Litani River totaling less than 1000 fighters (Hezbollah kept all the best trained forces north of the Litani River).

So let’s compare the two operations:

upload_2015-11-10_23-17-20.png

Keep in mind that western propaganda always presents the Israeli military in general and the Israeli Air Force in particular as some kind of quasi-invincible super-force of uber-trained heroes who are the best of the best. One quick look at the chart above tells you who the real super heroes are in reality.

But my main point is not to ridicule the Israelis but to point out the huge difference in size between the two forces and to ask a simple question: if a huge Israeli force could not defeat about 1,000 2nd tier Hezbollah fighters, what could the small Russian force realistically achieve?

This, really, is THE key question. And, the answer, is quite obvious: the Russian force was never sent to Syria to defeat Daesh or even change the course of the civil war. The real goal of the Russian interventions were very limited in purely military terms.

First and foremost, the Russian tried to break the US and Turkish momentum for an overt military intervention. In that they undoubtedly succeeded.

The second goal was to provide limited but nonetheless crucial support for the Syrian military (including moral support). Again, in that they also undoubtedly succeeded and on most sectors the Syrians are on the offensive, however slowly.

Third, it now appears that one of the goals of the Russian intervention was to basically provide the Syrians with a modern air-defense capability and, in that, the Russians have also succeeded, even if partially. Why do I say partially? Because while the current air-defense capabilities of the Russian forces in Syria are adequate to defend the Syrian airspace against a limited attack, they are far from being sufficient to prevent the US from a determined large scale attack. All the Russian did is raise the costs of intervention for the USA, but they did not make it impossible.

Interestingly, the Iranians have declared today that they have (finally!) finalized the sale of Russian S-300s to Iran. In doing so Russia not only helps protect Iran, but the Russian military also helps a friendly country secure an airspace which might be vital for Russian efforts in the future.

The real “action” however was never military but political: Russia literally forced the US to negotiate with Iran and, eventually, Syria by making it politically impossible not to. The mantra “Assad must go” is now gone and the west has to at least give the appearance of being willing to negotiate. Again, this is undoubtedly a major victory for Russia.

Now let’s look at the (predictable) bad news

Of course, this is “bad news” only for those who from day 1 bought into the “game changing” narrative about the Russian military intervention. For those who, like myself, prefer facts to slogans, none of the following came as a big surprise. In fact, all this was predictable and predicted.

First, Daesh did rapidly adapt to the Russian air campaign. The first thing Daesh realized is that regardless of how intensive the Russian bombing campaign was, it would have a very limited impact on the actual line of contact, on the front line. As far as I know, the only location where the Russians did provide some limited close air support was in the Latakia province and along the main highway to the north. This is now slowly changing as the Russians are now gradually shifting from operational targets to tactical ones, i.e. instead of hitting command or training centers or ammo dumps, they are now gradually increasing their support for the Syrian military engaged in direct combat. Until last week or so, all the Syrians had to support them on the ground were 30 year old MiG-21s and MiG-23s. This is now reportedly changing in some key sectors of the front.

Second, instead of just hunkering down, Daesh went on the offensive in several sectors of the front, thereby forcing the Syrians to send troops to these sectors and that, in turn, prevented the Syrians from concentrating enough firepower and manpower along their chosen axes of attack to achieve an operational breakthrough. The lack of manpower (the 4 year long civil war took a terrible toll on the Syrians) is a crucial Syrian vulnerability which Daesh has very skillfully exploited.

[Sidebar: for those confused by the above, let me explain this: the general rule of thumb – not an absolute rule for sure – in the military is that the defending side has a big advantage over the attacker and that therefore the attacking side needs roughly a 3:1 advantage over the defender. Again, this is a very rough approximation and in certain situations such as urban or mountain warfare this ratio might go much higher up, to 6:1 and even higher. Now, the attacked does not need to achieve this 3:1 ratio in the full length of the front, only in the primary and, possibly, secondary sector of attack, which is typically very narrow. Hence the importance of making deliberately detectable false attacks – to have the defender concentrate his forces in the wrong place. By constantly going on the offensive along various parts of the front Daesh is forcing the Syrians to send in reinforcements which they would otherwise use in the offensive. This is why the Syrians did not achieve any operational breakthrough, at least so far]

The (truly) unpredictable bad news: Flight 9268

More and more signs are pointing to the very high probability that Kogalymavia Flight 9268 was destroyed in mid-air by a bomb. Interestingly, even Egyptian experts which everybody suspected of wanting to cover this up are now saying that they are 90% sure that a bomb caused the crash. The Russians ain’t saying much, but all their actions are consistent with the same hypothesis. While we will have to wait for the official report to get the facts (yes, I trust this report simply because there are too many countries involved and the Russians have no reasons to lie) I personally have come to the conclusion that by now the destruction of Flight 9268 by a bomb is a reasonable working hypothesis. I believe that this bomb was placed inside the aircraft by one or several individuals either sympathetic to Daesh and the Muslim Brotherhood or simply for money. I am aware that there are already plenty of goofballs out there offering much more exotic explanations (from a fly-by-wire backdoor to an Israeli missile to an energy weapon) but, being a great believer in Occam’s razor, I will stick to the simplest explanation until I am provided with fact-based logical reasons to think otherwise.

As I have written in the past, I don’t believe that this tragedy will have a significant impact on the Russian operation in Syria or on Russian policies, if only because there is really nothing much the Russians can do.

In this case again, there is a lot of hyperbole around what the Russians might do if it is proven that Daesh or Daesh sympathizers placed this bomb on the aircraft. Furthermore, since Daesh is really a creation of the Empire, then the latter would have to be held accountable, at least under the Command Responsibility doctrine. The Washington Post has already decided to preempt any such suggestions by ridiculing any possible Russian or Egyptian statements that the CIA might be involved. And considering the “special relationship” the USA has the Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the UAE or Qatar, any suggestions that these countries are involved would also put Russia on a collision course with CENTCOM. Personally, I think that it is perfectly fair and reasonable to place the responsibility for all the atrocities committed by al-Qaeda/ISIS/Daesh & Co on the Empire, including the wars in Bosnia, Chechnia and 9/11. Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the UAE, Qatar or Israel are all just parts of the “Empire of Kindness” created by the US deep state and while they might have disputes with each other they are basically all serving the same interests. And there is no doubt in my mind that Putin fully understands that. The problem is that Russia is too weak a country to be able to declare that or even to acquiesce to any such statements. Not only does the Kremlin want to avoid a direct war with the USA, but even an open-ended political and economic confrontation with the so-called “West” is something which Russia is trying hard to avoid due to her comparative weakness. I therefore don’t believe that Russia will take any direct actions against the countries sponsoring and controlling Daesh.

There is another interesting hypothesis made by some observers. According to them, the real purpose of the bombing of Flight 9268 would be to draw Russian into a ground operation against Daesh. Here again, if that was the goal behind this atrocity, I don’t believe that it will work. Just like Russia did everything in her power to avoid openly intervening militarily in the Donbass, Russia will do everything possible to avoid any ground operation in Syria (for a detailed discussion of the Russian reasons please see here and here). If 60% of Russians are opposed to an direct intervention in the Donbass, then there will be even much more opposition to any Russian ground operation in Syria. Finally, as I have written many times, the Russian military (as a whole) was never designed to operate at beyond 1000km from the Russian borders and Russia therefore simply lack that kind of power-projection capability.

Frustrating as this might be, the right thing do to for Russia is to do nothing or, more accurately, to do nothing different from what she has been doing so far.

Russia does have the capabilities to increase her military involvement in Syria and I have already mentioned these options in the past. They include using long-range aviation from Russia or, better, using an Iranian air base. Alternatively, Russia could decide to build a “Khmeimim 2” airbase near Latakia and commit more aircraft. Maybe I am wrong here, but I don’t see that as a solution. In my opinion, there is a limited timeframe for the Syrian military to achieve an operational victory against Daesh, after that I see no other option left but an Iranian ground intervention (which, by itself, would be a very complex matter and which would trigger a massive anti-Iranian hysteria in the US-controlled part of our planet).

So all I am left with is the hope that the Russian General Staff’s modeling capabilities are as good as they are supposed to be and that the very limited by highly effective Russian intervention will be sufficient to go from having a quantitative effect to a qualitative one. I hope that the sum of small tactical victories will eventually bring Daesh to a breaking point significant enough to allow for a Syrian operational success. I will gladly admit that at the end of the day I trust Putin and the superb team of generals he has placed at the head of the Russian armed forces.

In conclusion I want to say that I am very proud of what the Russians are doing in Syria, both militarily and politically. They have shown an immense amount of courage and skills, at all levels of the game. But I also think that it is crucial for all of us, who are sympathetic to Russia and the anti-imperial Resistance worldwide, to stop presenting this intervention like some kind of “game changing” “done deal” in which the Russian Bear will crush all the terrorists and restore peace to Syria. Alas, we are still very very far from that. What the Russian have provided is an absolutely vital and very daring last minute temporary solution to a very dangerous situation about to get much worse. They did that knowing full well that they were at a huge political, geographic and military disadvantage and that their move was extremely risky. I would not say that Putin is risk averse, but he is certainly very cautious and for him to have authorized such an operation must have been very difficult. My guess is that what made him decide in favor of this intervention is the (correct) belief that the Russian forces in Syria are not only fighting for Syria, but that they are first and foremost fighting for Russia. Every Wahabi/Takfiri organization on the planet has already declared a jihad against Russia and Russia has been fighting these crazies ever since the USA and the Saudis literally federated them in Afghanistan (the “brilliant” plan of Brzezinski and, later, Reagan). The Russian people know and understand that, and Putin has repeated that often enough to have this message fully sink in. This is why the Russians will hold the course even if a major setback occurs and this is also why they will not have an events like the bombing of Flight 9268 by US-run puppet distract them from their real objective: help the Syrians, Iraqis and Iranians defeat Daesh.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Cross-posting from another thread:
Islamic State: Syrian army breaks IS siege of key Aleppo air base, reports say

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-11/syrian-army-breaks-is-siege-of-key-aleppo-air-base/6931240

Syrian troops have broken a nearly two-year siege by Islamic State (IS) insurgents at a military air base in northern Aleppo province, freeing hundreds of soldiers inside the facility, state media has reported.

A military source close to the government said the army was working to secure the Kweires air base, where soldiers have been under attack since 2013.

State television broadcast live footage from the airbase of an emotional, fatigue-clad reporter announcing the breakthrough.

"We, the heroes of Kweires, are now celebrating with our brothers this victory," one of the freed soldiers told state TV, speaking by phone.

"We dedicate this victory to President Bashar al-Assad and we promise him we will continue fighting until all of Syria is liberated. We will not kneel to Daesh," he said, using an Arabic name for the Islamic State group.

Britain-based monitoring group the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights also said that an advance party of troops had reached the airbase and "broken the siege".

It is the first major victory for Syria's army since Russia launched an air campaign in support of Mr Assad on September 30.

Dozens of soldiers were shown on television arriving at the airbase, elated and beaming, and it aired calls from the families of the freed soldiers.

"We talked to him three hours ago, and he is in high spirits," the mother of Lieutenant Iyad Salameh said.

Syrian information minister Omran al-Zoubi praised the "strength and steadfastness" of the soldiers, and sounded a defiant tone against "terrorists", the term which Syria's government uses to describe all rebels fighting against it.

The breaking of the Kweires siege stood in stark contrast to Islamic State's capture of Tabqa airbase in Raqqa province in the north of the country last year, when militants killed scores of soldiers.

The families of soldiers under siege in Kweires had staged protests urging the government to do more to take it back.

Syrian troops have been supported by Iranian forces and Lebanese Hezbollah fighters in a push to regain territory, largely in the north, lost to insurgents during almost five years of conflict.

Rebels have frustrated a campaign to reclaim territory elsewhere in the country, where Russian jets have flown more than 1,600 sorties in little over a month.

pmaitra

Sir, was thinking of posting here but didn't as this response from Russia is based mainly on the Europe region where NATO involvement is growing.
The news is about Syria and Russia helped lift the siege. Also, this news I think is from Australia, not Austria. o_O

Kshatriya87

Country flag
The news is about Syria and Russia helped lift the siege. Also, this news I think is from Australia, not Austria. o_O
Sorry, my mistake. I thought this was another post which says Russia developing missile system which can penetrate and missile shield. targeted at USA.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
One of the things I am interested to find out from Russian involvement is that if heli-gun ships are effective in urban warfare.

More interested to how will the Russian react when ISIS starts using SAM's against heli's?

gadeshi

One of the things I am interested to find out from Russian involvement is that if heli-gun ships are effective in urban warfare.
More interested to how will the Russian react when ISIS starts using SAM's against heli's?
Russians do not use Helos in city warfare, as far as it can cause unwanted collateral damage. But if it will come for it, they will use S-8KOR laser-corrected rockets and Ataka ATGMs for precision strikes.
If it will come to MANPADS usage, Russians will stop using Mi-24 and will begin using Mi-28N/NM and Ka-52 equipped with Vitebsk self defence suits.

Kshatriya87

Country flag

In addition to what @gadeshi said, IS won't use SAMs as they don't have any. To add to American troubles, Putin has issued a statement that till today IS doesn't have SAMs. If one is fired from now on it will signal a direct foreign involvement helping IS. This statement was aimed at Americans.

Sent from my HTC One_E8 dual sim using Tapatalk

pmaitra

In addition to what @gadeshi said, IS won't use SAMs as they don't have any. To add to American troubles, Putin has issued a statement that till today IS doesn't have SAMs. If one is fired from now on it will signal a direct foreign involvement helping IS. This statement was aimed at Americans.

Sent from my HTC One_E8 dual sim using Tapatalk
The Russians already destroyed one OSA which was with ISIS. It is unclear whether they have any more.

upload_2015-11-11_22-20-51.jpeg

pmaitra

US-Turkish Invasion Derailed by Syrian Army Triumph at Kuweires in Aleppo
The window for Turkish troops to enter Syria unopposed has closed. Any attempt to invade the country now will result in stiff resistance and heavy casualties

Mike Whitney | (The Unz Review) | Russia Insider

Syrian Army soldier celebrates after 3 year long siege of Kuweires airbase in Aleppo by ISIS was finally broken

Originally appeared at The Unz Review

The Syrian Arab Army (SAA) achieved its greatest victory in the four year-long war on Tuesday when it recaptured the strategic Kuweires military airbase in North Syria. Hundreds of ISIS terrorists were killed in intense fighting while hundreds more were sent fleeing eastward towards Raqqa. The victory was announced just hours after Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said in an interview with CNN’s Christiane Amanpour that Turkey would be willing to invade Syria as long as Washington agreed to provide air support, create a safe zone along the Syrian-Turkish border, and remove Syrian President Bashar al Assad.

Now that Kuweires has been liberated, Davutoğlu will have to reconsider his offer taking into consideration the fact that Russian warplanes will now be within striking distance of the border while troops and artillery will be positioned in a way that makes crossing into Syria as difficult as possible. The window for Turkish troops to enter Syria unopposed has closed. Any attempt to invade the country now will result in stiff resistance and heavy casualties.

To fully understand the significance of Kuweires, we need take a look at Amanpour’s interview with Davutoglu and see what was being planned. Here’s an excerpt:

Christiane Amanpour: Would Turkey, under the right conditions, agree to be a ground force?

PM Ahmet Davutoğlu: “A ground force is something which we have to talk [about] together. There’s a need of an integrated strategy including air campaign and ground troops. But Turkey alone cannot take all this burden. If there is a coalition and a very well designed integrated strategy, Turkey is ready to take part in all senses.”

C.A.: Including on the ground?

Davutoğlu: Yes, of course….We have to solve the Syrian crisis in a comprehensive manner.

C.A.: So I understand what you’re saying is that the condition for Turkey to be more involved would be an agreement by a coalition to also go after Assad?

Davutoğlu: Yes, and against all groups and regimes that are creating this vacuum and this problem. On many days we are assisting the coalition in (the fight) against ISIS, but it is not enough. Now we are suggesting to our allies for many months–and now we are suggesting again–to create a safe haven and to push ISIS far away from our borders.

C.A.: So what do you make of the US, Europe and especially Russia saying Assad must and can stay for a period of time?

Davutoğlu: …..The question is not how long can Assad stay, the question is when and how Assad will go. …What is the solution. The solution is very clear. It is when millions of Syrian refugees are able to return home, assuming there is peace in Syria, then this is the solution. And if Assad stays in power in Damascus, I don’t think any refugee will go back. There is a need of a step by step strategy, but what is the endgame? What is the light at the end of the tunnel, that is what is important to the refugees.

C.A.: Why is the Turkish government making it hard for the US government to arm and train and use Kurdish fighters as their ground troops?

Davutoğlu: (we are not making it hard for the US government to use the) “Kurds,” but the PYD as a wing of the PKK…

There is another Kurdish group, the Peshmerga. We allowed the Peshmerga to go through Turkey to go to Kobani in order to help Kobani to be free. If the US wants to arm Kurdish fighters on the ground against ISIS, we are ready. But not Kurdish terrorists like PKK. If they want to arm and help Barzani, or Peshmerga and help them go to Syria, we are ready to help. But everybody must understand, that today PKK is attacking our cities, our soldiers and our civilians. We will not tolerate any help to any PKK-related groups inside Syria or Iraq. If that happens, Turkey will take all measures to stop it.” (“For refugees to return, Assad must go, says Turkish PM“, CNN)

Let’s recap: Even though the Russian-led coalition is conducting major military operations in Syria, Turkey is willing to invade provided that Washington meet its demands, demands that have never changed and which (we have said in earlier columns) were part of a secret deal for the use of the Incirlik airbase so the USAF could conduct sorties over Syria.

What are Turkey’s demands:

1. A safe zone on the Syrian side of the Turkish-Syrian border
  2. A no-fly zone over areas where Turkish troops are conducting operations
  3. A commitment to remove Assad.

For a while it looked like the Obama administration might abandon their alliance with Turkey and join with the PYD (The Kurds) in their effort to create a buffer zone where they could harbor, arm and train Sunni militants to continue hostilities in Syria. In fact, Obama went so far as to air-drop pallet-loads of weapons and ammo to the Democratic Union Party (PYD) militia just 10 days ago. (Note: The US has already stopped all weapons shipments to the PYD) Whether Obama did this to force Turkey into playing a more active role in Syria, we don’t know. But what we do know is that a Turkish-US alliance is more formidable than a PYD-US alliance, which is why Washington is planning to sell out the Kurds to join-forces with Turkey.

Another sign that US-Turkish relations have begun to thaw, is the fact that Obama phoned Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to congratulate him on his party’s victory eight days after the election. The delay suggests that they were working out their differences before expressions of support. Erdogan needed the landslide victory to consolidate his power in Parliament and to persuade the military brass that he has a mandate to carry out his foreign policy. Obama’s phone call was intended to pave the way for backroom negotiations which would take place during next week’s G-20 meetings in Ankara. But now that the Russian-led coalition has retaken Kuweires, it is impossible to know how the US and Turkey will proceed. If Putin’s warplanes and artillery are able to seal the border, then Washington will have to scrap its plan for seizing the 60-miles stretch of northern Syria that’s needed to keep vital supplylines to US-backed jihadis open or to provide sanctuary for mercenaries returning from the frontlines. The changing battlescape will make a safe zone impossible to defend.

The fact is, Kuweires changes everything. ISIS is on the run, the myriad other terrorist organizations are progressively losing ground, Assad is safe in Damascus, the borders will soon be protected, and the US-Turkey plan to invade has effectively been derailed. Barring some extraordinary, unforeseeable catastrophe that could reverse the course of events; it looks like the Russian-led coalition will eventually achieve its objectives and win the war. Washington will have no choice but to return to the bargaining table and make the concessions necessary to end the hostilities.

pmaitra

Syrian Army Has Been Whopping Jihadis Bad in Recent Days
Also there has been significant progress by US-backed Kurds in Iraq
  • Have Russians turned the tide?
(Moon of Alabama) | Russia Insider

Originally appeared at Moon of Alabama

The fight against Islamic fundamentalist in Iraq ad Syria rapidly progressed today. U.S. air support in Iraq and Russian air support in Syria enabled the various ground forces to take significant amounts of ground.

Russia continues to build out its arsenal in Syria and may soon introduce more ground and air components.

After several days preparations by U.S bombing 7,000 Kurdish and Yezidi forces today attacked the Islamic State from the Sinjar mountain range southwards towards Sinjar city. Sinjar is about 50 kilometers east of the border between Syria and Iraq. Just south of the city lies the important Highway 47 which is the main transport artery between Mosul in Iraq and Raqqa in Syria.

The attackers were supported on the ground by U.S. Forward Air Controllers who called in pinpoint airstrikes whenever the attack was held up. The operation succeeded faster than expected. The city is surrounded by YPG and Peshmerga forces and a wide stretch of the highway is now under Kurdish control. First units are breaking onto the city. The main problem are now snipers, mines and booby traps and the bloody phase in the city will take a while. Counterattacks on the highway are to be expected but are unlikely to succeed over the open land as long as the U.S. air force provides cover for the Kurds.

Progress in Syria was even better. After yesterday reliefing the IS besieged Queires airport east of Aleppo, more ground around the airport was taken today. The plan seems to be to free the area between the airport east of Aleppo, which was relieved from the south, and Aleppo city in the west from all enemies. The thermal power station between the airport and the city was taken today. The airport will be rehabilitated and will allow for rapid, short distance air support for all further operations between Aleppo and the Turkish border.

South west of Aleppo the successful campaign towards the highway between Aleppo southward to Idleb, Hama, Homs and Damascus progressed fast. The al-Qaeda/Jabhat al-Nusra held town Al-Hadher was taken today surprisingly fast and the attack immediately proceeded further west towards the highway capturing Al-Eis. The highway, now only 2 kilometers away, is currently under al-Qaeda/FSA control and is an important resupply road from Turkey to the al-Qaeda occupied areas further south.

East of Damascus a military airport Marj Al-Sultan in the hands of Jaysh al-Islam was retaken by government forces after air preparations. A cordon around the insurgent held east-Ghouta area was thereby established for the first time in three years. East-Ghouta is used by the insurgents to fire mortars and rockets into Damascus. The area is now under siege and will be cleaned up in due time.

There have been sightings of new Russian weapons in Latakia near the Mediterranean coast. For the first time a T-90 main battle tank was seen in Syria (unconfirmed).

This is the most modern Russian tank in service and will have a Russian crew. The tank may belong to a new Russian ground component. At the Russian military airport in Latakia a 96L6 acquisition radar for a S-300PMU2 or S-400 air and missile defense battery was seen (confirmed).

The Russian troops will no longer depend on the sea based air defense cover provided by the missile cruiser Moskva. They now have a mobile long range air defense with a range of 300-400 km established on the ground. This can be easily moved further inland to cover all of west-Syria as needed.

Russia is working to increase the number of air sorties it can provide per day and is equipping an additional airport. Additional planes and helicopters are expected to arrive soon.

Three One suicide attacks in the Shia dominated area of Ayn al-Sikkeh in south Beirut in Lebanon killed at least 25 37 civilians and wounded some 100 180. This was likely an al-Qaeda terror attack seen as revenge for Hizbullah’s support for the Syrian government ISIS claimed to be responsible for the attack.

The official U.S. strategy in Syria was build on unicorns: a Free Syrian Army of secular Syrians and a political support group of exiles that would create the new government of Syria. What is left of the unicorn Free Syrian Army criminals is now deserting. The current head of the hotel exiles, the “Interim Governor of Syria” Ahmad Tameh, crossed into Syria from Turkey today to set up some just-for.-show government. The insurgents of the Islamist Levantine Front in Syria told him to get lost and he had to flee back to Turkey. The official U.S. strategy in Iraq was to build up a Sunni force to take on and defeat the Islamic State. It turns out that the potential leaders of such an Anbar-Awakening-version-2 force have been killed by the Islamic State or are no longer willing to take part in such a risky endeavor. Only the government supporting forces in Iraq as well as in Syria will be able to regain significant territory from the Islamic State and other terrorist forces.

pmaitra

Syrian War Military Report 12 November 2015 General Frontline information

SYRIA! Incendiary bombs used on terrorists, Idlib - Сирия! Боевиков бомбят зажигательными снарядами

Akim

Professional
Country flag
SYRIA! Incendiary bombs used on terrorists, Idlib - Сирия! Боевиков бомбят зажигательными снарядами
Why Russian TV says nothing about the "forbidden White phosphorus munitions"?

pmaitra

Why Russian TV says nothing about the "forbidden White phosphorus munitions"?
Nothing forbidden against ISIS. Thermobaric bombs, incendiary bombs, cluster bombs, you name it - everything is legit, as long as they burn. If you are so concerned about people burning, please worry about Odessa, your hometown, instead of worrying about some terrorists.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Nothing forbidden against ISIS. Thermobaric bombs, incendiary bombs, cluster bombs, you name it - everything is legit, as long as they burn. If you are so concerned about people burning, please worry about Odessa, your hometown, instead of worrying about some terrorists.
There is a decision of the UN, Putin lickspittle?

pmaitra

There is a decision of the UN, Putin lickspittle?
UN is irrelevant. They were irrelevant when the US invaded Yugoslavia. They were irrelevant when US invaded Iraq. They are irrelevant even today in Syria. They will also be irrelevant when Russia annexes the rest of Ukraine.

Even the UN report blamed the "moderate" terrorists for the chemical attack, but did that stop the western press and politicians from repeating their lies? UN is a paper tiger.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
UN is irrelevant. They were irrelevant when the US invaded Yugoslavia. They were irrelevant when US invaded Iraq. They are irrelevant even today in Syria. They will also be irrelevant when Russia annexes the rest of Ukraine.

Even the UN report blamed the "moderate" terrorists for the chemical attack, but did that stop the western press and politicians from repeating their lies? UN is a paper tiger.
Kremlin shouts that operates according to the law. However, ISIS is legally no different from the militants in Donbass.

pmaitra

Kremlin shouts that operates according to the law. However, ISIS is legally no different from the militants in Donbass.
Not at all.

Syria has a legitimate government. They are the legal authority. Kiev regime is a unelected dictatorship. They have no legal authority. Assad is legal. The Chocolate Seller is illegal. So much for your legalese.

Try again.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Not at all.

Syria has a legitimate government. They are the legal authority. Kiev regime is a unelected dictatorship. They have no legal authority. Assad is legal. The Chocolate Seller is illegal. So much for your legalese.

Try again.
Legally, even the Kremlin recognized the legitimacy of the presidential and parliamentary elections. Your cries are not heard.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles