Russia Ukraine War 2022

Who will win this war?.

• Total voters

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Material cost ALSO has labour cost inputs into it. You see that hunk of steel ? Built in USA is $30/hr labour cost, built in China is $5/hr labour cost.
No, Material cost and labor cost are two different entities in manufacturing and budgeting.
As for your steel example cost depend on lost of factor like specification of steel, brand name, QC/QA analysis, etc. You can't compare apple to oranges.
For continuous manufacturing, labour costs are 30-50% of the pie, depending on the industry - when you get into high tech industry like semiconductor fab, after initial startup cost, the cost of labour is consistently 50-60% of the pie.
No business dealing in hardware will succeed if labor cost is 50-60% of the final price.
Generally manufacturing costing goes the following way
  1. Infrastructure Cost : 30-40%
  2. Material Cost : 40-50%
  3. Labor Cost : 10-20%
  4. Warehousing Cost : 5-10%
BTW high tech industry tend to have lower labor cost due to high degree of automation.
Also note manufacturing cost is 5-25% of the final selling price.
Material cost is never the highest in developed world. Its always the labour cost.
Factually incorrect statement. Depends on type of material as we are talking about defense production we are talking about niche segment. Here the infrastructure cost is the greatest during production followed by material cost.

Last edited:

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
They have vast stockpiles of both. Manpower and not artillery is what ails the Russians.
Russians have/had storage problem. Propellant had/has not been stored properly and is not available for immediate use.
At the beginning of the war Russian were firing around 10,000-50,000 daily (depending on the sources) along with Ukrainians targeting Russians stores which caused sudden massive dearth in front-line stocks that had to be replenished quickly from their primary ammunition storage depot.
Russians are not able to use their old stocks.
Be it corruption, negligence or political in-fighting Russians lost lot of propellant in storage (lost doesn't mean exploded, it means not available to use). Hence Russians are importing propellant .

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
1. Actual combat accuracy of HIMARS might be less as co-ordinates have to be calculated not only for the rocket but also for the launcher and the target.
GMRLS used HIMARS are highly automated.
The FCS generally auto-calculates the point of origin, flight-path, etc. once target co-ordinates and type of target is provided.

GaudaNaresh

Country flag
No, Material cost and labor cost are two different entities in manufacturing and budgeting.
As for your steel example cost depend on lost of factor like specification of steel, brand name, QC/QA analysis, etc. You can't compare apple to oranges.
Irrelevant to the purchaser. If you are selling steel at 1 dollar a tonne, making 5% profit and 50% of your cost input is the steel mill workers then your labour costs 50%. Its just that simple.

No business dealing in hardware will succeed if labor cost is 50-60% of the final price.
Generally manufacturing costing goes the following way
  1. Infrastructure Cost : 30-40%
  2. Material Cost : 40-50%
  3. Labor Cost : 10-20%
  4. Warehousing Cost : 5-10%
And every single one of the three have labour costs - fyi many years ago my company worked subcontracting for BCLDB - they are a massive warehouse & retail entity, who's 40% of the budget was dedicted at - you guessed it- labour cost.

You have to look at every level of the industry- and the more layers you add, the more layers of labour processing you add. All of which are at 3000% rate of Russia or India.

Factually incorrect statement. Depends on type of material as we are talking about defense production we are talking about niche segment. Here the infrastructure cost is the greatest during production followed by material cost.
See above. Your material cost as the final purchaser ( lockheed martin) has about 5 steps of built in labour cost- from harvesting the ore, to processing the metal, to shipping, handling, to making a component, more shipping & handling, then to build your radar at rayethon, then more shipping and handling to you- LM. You see it as 'i bought a million dollar radar that 4 guys i pay 100K a year will install in 2 weeks, so my labour cost is under 20K and thus, 2% of my price tag, while ignoring the fact that your million dollar radar unit, has an in built labour cost of 30-40% to begin with.

GaudaNaresh

Country flag
I do lot of R&D on memes, stay tuned for custom memes on pooty-gang.

View attachment 167938
LOL @ the bolded part. Useless degree gets you that i guess.

ancient history.
lets see russian casaulty list on day 150 vs US/NATO in iraq & afghanistan.

you also ran away once i mentioned the native indegenous of Siberia & northern Russia vs native indegenous of USA.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Russians have/had storage problem. Propellant had/has not been stored properly and is not available for immediate use.
At the beginning of the war Russian were firing around 10,000-50,000 daily (depending on the sources) along with Ukrainians targeting Russians stores which caused sudden massive dearth in front-line stocks that had to be replenished quickly from their primary ammunition storage depot.
Russians are not able to use their old stocks.
Be it corruption, negligence or political in-fighting Russians lost lot of propellant in storage (lost doesn't mean exploded, it means not available to use). Hence Russians are importing propellant .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles