RFP issued for India navy amphibious vessels (LHD or LPD type)

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

197 LUH Deal,
MRH Program and the
LPD/LHD deal Never Ending Game

Zebra

Country flag
Any amphibious assault ship of 40000 tonne, LPD exists as of today?

OR

They have to design all new!

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The America class of amphibious assault ships come to mind, 44000 tonnes of muscle on the high seas. Basically mini carriers built for amphibious landings.

Last edited:

Ajeesh Kumar S

IF FRANCE FAILED TO DELIVER MISTRAL TO RUSSIA THEN WHY WE GOES FOR THAT ALREADY CONSTRUCTED TWO SHIPS FOR OUR NAVY..?THAT WILL IMPROVE INDIA FRANCE RELATION...SIMILARLY IT WILL AFFECT EUROPE-RUSSIA RELATION THAT WILL ALSO NATURALLY IMPLIMENT MORE BUSINESS WITH INDIA AND RUSSIA..

Zebra

Country flag
IF FRANCE FAILED TO DELIVER MISTRAL TO RUSSIA THEN WHY WE GOES FOR THAT ALREADY CONSTRUCTED TWO SHIPS FOR OUR NAVY..?THAT WILL IMPROVE INDIA FRANCE RELATION...SIMILARLY IT WILL AFFECT EUROPE-RUSSIA RELATION THAT WILL ALSO NATURALLY IMPLIMENT MORE BUSINESS WITH INDIA AND RUSSIA..
Sir, they wants 40,000-tonne landing platform docks (LPDs).

Please, check the link posted in post #361.

Ajeesh Kumar S

thats correct casper, but it takes lot of time..metal cutting..keel laying...superstructure building...island rising...etc.so why we go for mistral?already two of them are build..and waiting for export permission..

Zebra

Country flag
Last edited:

Prometheus

The America class of amphibious assault ships come to mind, 44000 tonnes of muscle on the high seas. Basically mini carriers built for amphibious landings.
Guys don't get too carried away, I think what they mean by 40,000 tonnes is, that the TOTAL tonnage of all four ships should be 40k, i.e. 10K each. Indian Genral's, Neta's and Babu's always think small. These are the same guys who wanted Mirage 2000's, back when their assembly lines were being dismantled, and it was France that had to coax them into going for the Rafael. I think they are thinking about acquiring LPD/LHD in the range of INS Jalashwa.

Having said that, I think they will eventually settle for Mistrals, if they are readily available from the Russian cancellation

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
No.

It is 40,000 tons displacement loaded each. Could be 15,000 tons displacement empty.

Guys don't get too carried away, I think what they mean by 40,000 tonnes is, that the TOTAL tonnage of all four ships should be 40k, i.e. 10K each. Indian Genral's, Neta's and Babu's always think small. These are the same guys who wanted Mirage 2000's, back when their assembly lines were being dismantled, and it was France that had to coax them into going for the Rafael. I think they are thinking about acquiring LPD/LHD in the range of INS Jalashwa.

Having said that, I think they will eventually settle for Mistrals, if they are readily available from the Russian cancellation

Prometheus

No.

It is 40,000 tons displacement loaded each. Could be 15,000 tons displacement empty.
Mistral is 16,500 tonnes (empty) and 21,300 tonnes (full load), Juan Carlos is 26,000 tonnes loaded, if that's true, Most or all of the other proposals would be cut out, except for the Americans. RFP generally indicate minimum system requirements, I doubt the IN will aim that high, and blow the competition out!. Also Russia had to update its docks to accommodate the Mistral, as they had never dealt with a ship that big. I have no clue as to how the Indian shipyards would accommodate a 40k toner.

INS Jalashwa is:
Light: 8,900 tonnes
Standard: 12,000 tonnes
Full load: 16,600 tonnes
assuming they are referring to standard load, 12k it will fit the bill, if their minimum requirement is of 10k. Also at 12k , Jalashwa is one of the largest ships of the IN, coming second only to the carriers, so its not a small ship by any means

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Western Command: INS Kadamba
Eastern Command: INS Varsha

Both can handle 45,000 ton+ displacement vessels.

The RFP has been re-issued. Now all vessels would be made in India, would be of much larger dimensions, and would be an exclusive design (not just tweaking any existing design).

Mistral is 16,500 tonnes (empty) and 21,300 tonnes (full load), Juan Carlos is 26,000 tonnes loaded, if that's true, Most or all of the other proposals would be cut out, except for the Americans. RFP generally indicate minimum system requirements, I doubt the IN will aim that high, and blow the competition out!. Also Russia had to update its docks to accommodate the Mistral, as they had never dealt with a ship that big. I have no clue as to how the Indian shipyards would accommodate a 40k toner.

INS Jalashwa is:
assuming they are referring to standard load, 12k it will fit the bill.

Prometheus

Western Command: INS Kadamba
Eastern Command: INS Varsha

Both can handle 45,000 ton+ displacement vessels.

The RFP has been re-issued. Now all vessels would be made in India, would be of much larger dimensions, and would be an exclusive design (not just tweaking any existing design).
Well the bigger the better!! I will be very happy if this be true, considering our main opponent is China, and we will need to deploy in large numbers. A small deployment ain't gonna do the trick .

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

INS Jalashwa is:
assuming they are referring to standard load, 12k it will fit the bill, if their minimum requirement is of 10k. Also at 12k , Jalashwa is one of the largest ships of the IN, coming second only to the carriers, so its not a small ship by any means
What's the displacement of Adm. Gorkshkov ? Russian docs did harbour that vessel.

Prometheus

well I don't know about the erstwhile Adm. Gorkshkov, but Vikramaditya is about 45,400 tonnes.

But yes, the Russian dockyards had to be modified to accommodate the Mitrals, infact they are already in the process.... I can't recollect where I read that, but I did read that. Also part of the problem was the breakup of the USSR, with Russia left with limited options.

Kranthi

How can an RFP be issued with the tonnage mentioned as a sum of all for vessels.. ?? That's pretty odd isn't it ?

That way you might want to say the 8 meter draft limitation is for all the four vessels combined.. and that each vessel shouldn't exceed a draft of 2 meters..

It is for sure the full load displacement of each vessel..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles