New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

Which Contender`s Rifle has more chances of winning than others?

• Total voters

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
From my personal view, Accessories have little role to play in Regular Army..

ACE is a solid rifle too..

abingdonboy

Country flag
At the Range with the CZ 805 BREN A2 Carbine

Now this is also a very nice weapon. Interesting the guy also mentions this AR is being looked at by India- I wonder how he found that out-maybe from the manufactureres directly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Killswitch

Country flag
Beretta has already won the 9mm carbines tender for BSF, they most likely will win it for the army.

I think Beretta might win the assault rifle tender too.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One has to understand how weapons play a role on the battlefield.

Given the tactics employed, the weapon systems basically cover each yardage of the battle zone.

Then there are weapon to cover areas which are defiladed.

Each arm of the Army has its role and they are equipped with weapons that are capable of their slotting in the battlefield matrix.

It has nothing to do with weapons being 'sexy'.

There is hardly any time in war to think of sex. One has to ensure that he lives to have sex later!

As far as the infantry is concerned, it has to fight the immediate and close quarter battle and its weapons are so designed to fulfill this task.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
If what RAY SIR has said about the rifles and their usage in the battlefield is accepted then I think INSAS suits better and is also lot cheaper than what is being offered by the foreign vendors......

I think the tax-payers money is wasted again......

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I have moved most INSAS related post to dedicated INSAS thread..

Continue discussion there..

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Kunal sir, bullet casing dont exit in same angle. It is kind of dangerous for any guy standing on the side.
Is there a squad/fire team formation that would put the firer that close to the next man?

The Fox

my choice would be Beretta ARX-160 for the very simple reason that it is designed for future and very modular and that Assault Rifle can be dismantled and reassembled without any tool and highly modular and light when compared to other and i do understand that being modular and light does help the soldiers in the battle field on a personal note that i still don't like Indians buying from Italians ()

abingdonboy

Country flag
Man the ARK-160 is an insanley good weapon, watch the entire vid:

After watching this it is not hard to see why the INSAS has been discarded. The INSAS i(especially its later variants) is a good weapon but when compared to the likes of the ARX, the ARK it is just on another planet!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I wont make the same comment, till now its tacticool but not proven, I am still willing to know about its maintenance procedure and ruggedness..

If such rifle dont fire on first place, Its same as a piece of wood..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its my guess that IWI also included X-95 series, But there are no mention of 7.62x39mm of this Rifle..

But again we know, It have 9mm, 5.56x45 nato & 5.45X39mm version available and functional..

Though recently IWI chambered X-95 for Russian round 5.45 x 39mm..

X-95 in 5.56MM nato same as INSAS fires..

X-95 in 9mm
Its possible that there is version which can accept 7.62 soviet..

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
I wonder why multi caliber rifles like SCAR and AK12 didn't applied for the contract.

Mangal

Country flag
Its good to see that finally after more than 60yrs Govt. has understood the simple fact that any army needs well equiped foot soilders to hold and capture any land or position. Its a welcome step one that was long awaited but better late than never. I wonder when our solilders will get kevlar helmets and shed those cheap patkas.

Snuggy321

Its good to see that finally after more than 60yrs Govt. has understood the simple fact that any army needs well equiped foot soilders to hold and capture any land or position. Its a welcome step one that was long awaited but better late than never. I wonder when our solilders will get kevlar helmets and shed those cheap patkas.

As long as we have air superiority and we control the seas our current army is enough to defend our borders!

Global Defence

Articles