New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

Which Contender`s Rifle has more chances of winning than others?

• Total voters

Tronic

Accidentally voted for the Tavor. I don't think it's a good choice for a primary infantry rifle in a conventional subcontinental scenario. It's a good rifle for urban or CQB warfare, but for the deserts or the plains, I'd go with a longer barrel. Than again, I've never fired a bullpup so I'm not too sure if the shorter barrel on the Tavor affects the accuracy greatly with increasing distance.

t_co

Accidentally voted for the Tavor. I don't think it's a good choice for a primary infantry rifle in a conventional subcontinental scenario. It's a good rifle for urban or CQB warfare, but for the deserts or the plains, I'd go with a longer barrel. Than again, I've never fired a bullpup so I'm not too sure if the shorter barrel on the Tavor affects the accuracy greatly with increasing distance.
The Tavor is an excellent rifle for India. It's been built with desert reliability in mind--sand and grit can coat the gun and it will still fire. As for bullpup vs conventional configuration, the main disadvantage for a bullpup is that you can't switch hands with it very easily. A soldier could not shoot the Tavor or QBZ 95 from his left shoulder if he was left-handed, injured in the right arm, or peeking around the left corner of a building, since the shell ejector port would sent hot brass casings right into his cheek or his eye. That isn't an issue with conventionally oriented rifles.

Some bullpup weapons, however, have addressed that issue by pushing the ejected shells straight down (the P90) or pushing them down and forwards (the F2000). The F2000, in particular, would be another excellent choice for India.

Tronic

The Tavor is an excellent rifle for India. It's been built with desert reliability in mind--sand and grit can coat the gun and it will still fire. As for bullpup vs conventional configuration, the main disadvantage for a bullpup is that you can't switch hands with it very easily. A soldier could not shoot the Tavor or QBZ 95 from his left shoulder if he was left-handed, injured in the right arm, or peeking around the left corner of a building, since the shell ejector port would sent hot brass casings right into his cheek or his eye. That isn't an issue with conventionally oriented rifles.

Some bullpup weapons, however, have addressed that issue by pushing the ejected shells straight down (the P90) or pushing them down and forwards (the F2000). The F2000, in particular, would be another excellent choice for India.
You're probably right. I just felt that the longer barrels provide for a more stable posture while shooting, especially in the standing position. I have shot the IA issue INSAS and the longer barrel helps in properly posturing my arms resting against my body while gripping the barrel to aim. Imagining shooting a bullpup seems it would require you to squeeze in into the rifle for a stable posture, but watching some youtube videos, the posture seems quite relaxed. I just need to find someone who'll let me fire the Tavor. :lol:

kshkumsin

i was saying that arx 160 should win because it is a part of a future upgradation program like ours(futura soldato) so it should suit us but talking about tar 21.I believe that it has a advantage over others that a conversion for 5.45x45 minsas is alreay available plus it is alreay in service solves the logistic problem.the arx160 has a conventional design so good for training.but for cqb i would say tar21 is best.both look a lot sexy:namaste:

kshkumsin

hey kunal you should think of adding about the guns which have transluc:tsk:ent mag a very significant advantage as india mostly worked with translucent mag

Snuggy321

Is there a bigger caliber version of the Tavor? This is the first time I heard of this.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Lancer Systems L5 Advanced Warfighter Magazine

Since the Lancer L5 AWM is a 4179 STANAG magazine, it's compatible with multiple weapons systems (assault rifles), including, but not necessarily limited to, the AR-15/M16/M4/M4A1-platform weapons, HK416, SA80A2, FN MK16 SCAR-L (SCAR-Light), and the Beretta ARX160, TAR-21.The L5 AWM is designed to work in multiple weapon systems; M4/M16/AR, HK416, SA80, SCAR-L / Mk16, ARX160,TAR-21 and is available in 20 and 30 round capacity with a translucent or opaque polymer body.
Source :Defense Review - Lancer Systems L5 Advanced Warfighter Magazine (Lancer L5 AWM) 30-Round 5.56mm NATO Translucent Polymer AR Mag (AR-15/M16 Rifle Magazine) to Debut at SHOT Show 2011

=======================
=======================

^^ This is not a Regular issue Mag with Colt MGI / AR-15 variant Rifles or ARX-160, TAR-21, But can be used on these following Rifles, If we are looking at translucent mags, We might look into this..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Regarding AK Mag >>

Arsanal the Bulgarian company produce transperent 40-30-20 rnd magazine, If one wish to use transperent Mag for 7.62x39mm on Colt MGI, Galil ACE, ARX-160 and may be TAR-21/X95, Then this can come handly..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Though in the regular issue of the rifles, Only Bren 805 have translucent Magazine as Regular Issue..

Articles