Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

mamamia12

The US has entire units dedicated to providing OPFOR, India doesn’t have even 1 in any service, after even the slightest engagement the response is always to run to emergency procurements- that tells you all you need to know about preparedness and the seriousness they are taking
I don't think any Tier-1 Forces take Indian Army seriously. They probably laugh at our forces not even having simple basic goggles to prevent shrapnel and dust much less NVG. The Army guys imported Apache maal worth some 900M$ tax payer money. Even if we could take the most expensive quad NVG at some 45,000$ a piece, we can get some 20,000 pieces which i think is more than enough much less the basic monocular ones. Since genrols get kickbacks more from foreign maal than equipping your soldiers with NVGs and Scopes. After all only when India faces population crunch and recruiting becomes harder and every soldier life is valuable , then the genrols gonna face heat with casualties who will then equip them more. I simply don't understand about an Army with such budget and size who can't even get basics right, Who is incharge of procurement?. don't they know what equipment is standard compared to other armies and what is lacking among yours. Are those genrols get to spend the money given by Mod as they like?. Is there no mechanism to prevent this. Isn't there like a body or committee overseeing whether purchasements made by them are realistic and necessary and not out of kickbacks or does soldiers have basic gear.

Kumaoni

I don't think any Tier-1 Forces take Indian Army seriously. They probably laugh at our forces not even having simple basic goggles to prevent shrapnel and dust much less NVG. The Army guys imported Apache maal worth some 900M$ tax payer money. Even if we could take the most expensive quad NVG at some 45,000$ a piece, we can get some 20,000 pieces which i think is more than enough much less the basic monocular ones. Since genrols get kickbacks more from foreign maal than equipping your soldiers with NVGs and Scopes. After all only when India faces population crunch and recruiting becomes harder and every soldier life is valuable , then the genrols gonna face heat with casualties who will then equip them more. I simply don't understand about an Army with such budget and size who can't even get basics right, Who is incharge of procurement?. don't they know what equipment is standard compared to other armies and what is lacking among yours. Are those genrols get to spend the money given by Mod as they like?. Is there no mechanism to prevent this. Isn't there like a body or committee overseeing whether purchasements made by them are realistic and necessary and not out of kickbacks or does soldiers have basic gear.
Idk why indians think they care enough to laugh.

They don’t care about your forces, your just another third world country to them.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
So, how effective is Indian Army really, do they have any effectiveness like the western armies. Keeping the equipment gap aside do they even have any chance of retaliation. I know generally Navy is punching above its weight and don't know much about IAF, who cant do much with their inventory full of soviet maal. I fear the army don't even know how to fight a modern war relying on all spectrum capabilities. They probably think its still like an attack helicopter versus attack helicopter or tank versus tank or infantry soldier versus soldier battle on a fair battle ground. Can anyone tell em does army has complete all unit cooperative battle plan truly maximizing everything in their inventory or it will turn out like the russian onslaught without corruption.
They're good at artillery and logistics. They should be fairly good at armored warfare given their experience. But if we're expecting a gulf War style slaughter of pakis with minimal losses on our side, we're in for disappointment. The Army can win against pakis and defend against China, but probably with very heavy and unnecessary losses due to outdated tactics and infantry gear.

Kumaoni

They're good at artillery and logistics. They should be fairly good at armored warfare given their experience. But if we're expecting a gulf War style slaughter of pakis with minimal losses on our side, we're in for disappointment. The Army can win against pakis and defend against China, but probably with very heavy and unnecessary losses due to outdated tactics and infantry gear.
Fair assessment.

Blood+

Country flag
Hmm... so basically the Iron Warriors.

DumbPilot

Country flag
I wonder if someone can actually wargame a scenario like that using US wargaming manuals or something from the War College subreddit(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ygPXK3GJH3YMrzkFwjGZWS8ucmSSo64VcExd-_kdLdA/edit).

Scenario based, say, for the first 48 or 72h, in the event of Pakistani ingress or attempt of ingress into Indian territory following something like a 2002 mobilization 🤔

I guess key outcomes would be how fast our logistics could work, how fast we could support any offensive thrust and generally what could unfold in terms of a land and air-based scenario(an abstract limit of either side using only airbases up to 400km out)

DumbPilot

Country flag
I wonder if someone can actually wargame a scenario like that using US wargaming manuals or something from the War College subreddit(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ygPXK3GJH3YMrzkFwjGZWS8ucmSSo64VcExd-_kdLdA/edit).

Scenario based, say, for the first 48 or 72h, in the event of Pakistani ingress or attempt of ingress into Indian territory following something like a 2002 mobilization 🤔

I guess key outcomes would be how fast our logistics could work, how fast we could support any offensive thrust and generally what could unfold in terms of a land and air-based scenario(an abstract limit of either side using only airbases up to 400km out)
In the end I think it will be just for educational purposes for the members of this forum rather than any actual practical application. Could probably use an engine like CMANO that the umpires can move the units and dictate the outcome as per the orders given by the players, or just mapping units on map.army and manually doing combat with dice rolls and combat outcome tables. Could be a fun activity

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
If there were no Himalayas the Chinese would roll their way to Delhi and i would be saying…

Niiii Haaaoooooo

prateikf

Country flag
By winning against Pakistan would mean defeating a Pakistani Offensive or capturing POK / Lahore / Islamabad or Peshawar ? What are our war objectives on the western front ? Maharaja Ranjith Singh and the British wanted Peshawar thus securing the Khyber pass and blocking invaders from the North West.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
By winning against Pakistan would mean defeating a Pakistani Offensive or capturing POK / Lahore / Islamabad or Peshawar ? What are our war objectives on the western front ? Maharaja Ranjith Singh and the British wanted Peshawar thus securing the Khyber pass and blocking invaders from the North West.
I am even more skeptical about any offensive Ops in the mountains. By winning against pakistan I mean destroying most of their air and naval assets, while making progress in the plains of Punjab and Thar. We can probably take Lahore and then bomb it to oblivion with artillery.

Defeating any offensive they launch will be much easier as we will be on the defending side against a smaller enemy with much worse logistics, and with inferior air power, particularly air to ground ability.

mamamia12

Once i used to admire drdo during my childhood for all the Missiles they indigenously developed and manufactured. Later, I got to know that any gutter rat countries like NK or Iran can make them even with sanctions.

Kumaoni

I am even more skeptical about any offensive Ops in the mountains. By winning against pakistan I mean destroying most of their air and naval assets, while making progress in the plains of Punjab and Thar. We can probably take Lahore and then bomb it to oblivion with artillery.

Defeating any offensive they launch will be much easier as we will be on the defending side against a smaller enemy with much worse logistics, and with inferior air power, particularly air to ground ability.
I’m more optimistic about mountain ops actually. India historically has peformed the best here

nongaddarliberal

Country flag

US wargaming has always been unreliable. They thought they would lose 50,000+ of their own troops in the Gulf war in their war games. Then they thought that Russia would take all of Ukraine in a month.

There's a wargame where one of their admirals played the Iranian navy and defeated the US Navy (LOL).

They're bad at accounting for training differences and technological differences in their wargames.

mamamia12

US wargaming has always been unreliable. They thought they would lose 50,000+ of their own troops in the Gulf war in their war games. Then they thought that Russia would take all of Ukraine in a month.

There's a wargame where one of their admirals played the Iranian navy and defeated the US Navy (LOL).

They're bad at accounting for training differences and technological differences in their wargames.
The Gulf war is just US rolling through both qualitative and quantitative advantage against an enemy with soviet maal. If both sides have equal equipment then we can see the actual result but that is mere fantasy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles