Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Gessler

Country flag
Multicam is hands down the best pattern in active usage on the planet right now which is suitable across a wide variety of terrain conditions ranging from foliage all the way to semi-arid conditions, which makes it an ideal platform for usage across multiple theatres.

Do note that pattern & colours are not the same thing. You can get multiple colour combinations (as stipulated by needs) arranged into the same overall pattern or concept of pattern. There are 5 official variations of the Multicam colours:

The MTP worn by British troops is also a variation of Multicam concepts though it is has slight changes to the pattern itself, though the colour pallet remains mostly the same:

And its high time IA moves toward theatre-specific camos which are far more suited to their respective AOs than what exists now in the form of the PC Disruptive camo.

If at all a new camo is to be brought in, I wholeheartedly support the adoption of Multicam (we don't have to license the official design, an 'edited' home-made version with some changes to colour pallet if necessary can be good enough).

The last time the need for a new fatigue became painfully evident to me personally was when I saw pictures of the Indo-Kazakh exercise Prabal Dostyk in Himachal Pradesh last year, when the uniforms worn by the visiting contingent (which use a Multicam variant) were evidently far more suited to the terrain than what the local Indian contingent was sporting -

The regular Multicam can be a very good pattern for the bulk of IA, whereas those personnel serving in Rajasthan/arid regions do indeed need to adopt Multicam Arid or some such...the current practice of using green-accented uniforms in a farking desert needs to end ASAP.

The Alpine variant may be a better alternative to using plain white which is what troops in areas such as Siachen currently use.

sthf

Country flag
Not really. .... Germans have not sent troops outside its borders for the last 80 years. Their experience is not a role model.

As you say the Vietnam War camo is too old. I say it is not bad as it saw field experience for 15 years in Jungle warfare.
Germans served in Afghanistan and are doing god knows what in Syria.

PS: I stumbled upon a letter that you have written to Defence Journal Pakistan in early 2000s. You have been at this game for a long time. Unless that was a different Hari Sud from Canada, then forgive me.:biggrin2:

MuzzleVelocity

Why Indian Army Eastern Command in kolkata?
It should shift in any North Eastern States.
Kolkata is the nerve centre of the eastern region. Everything in the East goes through Kolkata. It's very well connected to the North East States.
Moreover the East Command is a head office of sorts, you can't place something like that in a border area.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
India`s chicken neck area, too close for PLA and PLAAF long range cruise missile zone..
Sir, if I am not wrong most of india is within their missiles range.
I say let's put BMD-1 for only showpiece there just to let them see.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That is true, they can attack deep inside our territory but the missile has to travel a long way after launched within our territory, that is where we engage these cruise missiles, placing our HQ being too close to border does not give us advantage to engage these cruise missiles while they are flying inside our territory.

OSA-AK, SA-3, Akash ( specially ), all sort of AAA, SAMs, crew are trained to engage cruise missile and fast drones size targets, future and near future air defense assets will do the same.

Sir, if I am not wrong most of india is within their missiles range.

I say let's put BMD-1 for only showpiece there just to let them see.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
That is true, they can attack deep inside our territory but the missile has to travel a long way after launched within our territory, that is where we engage these cruise missiles, placing our HQ being too close to border does not give us advantage to engage these cruise missiles while they are flying inside our territory.

OSA-AK, SA-3, Akash ( specially ), all sort of AAA, SAMs, crew are trained to engage cruise missile and fast drones size targets, future and near future air defense assets will do the same.
I was talking about like GUN BOAT DIPLOMACY type of thing, they always try to bully others never fight the only way I think we can show china some guys is by displaying AGNI-5 AND BMDs from time to time to their satellites.
Anyway REPUBLIC DAY parade will be better platform for BMD missiles.

jik60

Country flag
Hello all,
I always wonder, even after being the front-line soldiers, why the infantry of all IA strikes crops, are so badly equipped?

Is it because they do operate under the preview of some of the biggest weapons in IA ? and also is it because the strikes crops are always being filled with the reserve weapons, especially for the infantry. I have attached below some of the latest videos of "Sindhu Sudarshan exercises" and also attached some strike corps exercise from 2011 and 2016. You will notice no difference in the infantry standard

Even though there are some good improvements in terms of bigger support in recent times, such as K9, Rudra, Akash and probably Dhanush, LCH and ATAGS in the future, but look at the personal gear and firepower of common infantry. No matter which stike crops you pick, all of them (1,2 21 or even the new mountain one )have the same story.

All got impressive firepower like BM-21, Pinaka, Smearch, T90, T72, Arjun, Tanguska, Shilka, but infantry is a no-no zone, just wanted to spearhead some discussion on it.

@Kunal Biswas Sir as a veteran, your views are very essential in this case. Other gurus can also dig into it
@Unknowncommando 2 @vampyrbladez @sorcerer @bhramos @abingdonboy @rkhanna

These are from latest exercises:

and these are from some years back such as in 2011

and from 2016

But when it comes to the LOC, everything are glittering
Look at the new "Toys" of the "Boys" (Ending part is very important of the Vid) :

Last edited:

Ghost68

Hello all,
I always wonder, even after being the front-line soldiers, why the infantry of all IA strikes crops, are so badly equipped?

Is it because they do operate under the preview of some of the biggest weapons in IA ? and also is it because the strikes crops are always being filled with the reserve weapons, especially for the infantry. I have attached below some of the latest videos of "Sindhu Sudarshan exercises" and also attached some strike corps exercise from 2011 and 2016. You will notice no difference in the infantry standard

Even though there are some good improvements in terms of bigger support in recent times, such as K9, Rudra, Akash and probably Dhanush, LCH and ATAGS in the future, but look at the personal gear and firepower of common infantry. No matter which stike crops you pick, all of them (1,2 21 or even the new mountain one )have the same story.

All got impressive firepower like BM-21, Pinaka, Smearch, T90, T72, Arjun, Tanguska, Shilka, but infantry is a no-no zone, just wanted to spearhead some discussion on it.

@Kunal Biswas Sir as a veteran, your views are very essential in this case. Other gurus can also dig into it

and from 2016

Look at the new "Toys" of the "Boys" (Ending part is very important of the Vid) :

The reason is simple infantry modernization has started for past 1-2 years is picking up pace, there have been orders like BPJ, helmets and guns like(SIG 716, few snipers etc) these all first will be handed to troops engaging the enemy and then the rest. It requires minimum 5 years for all infantry to equipped properly.

Unknowncommando 2

Country flag
Hello all,

and from 2016

It takes time to modernize whole Infantry. Helmets, BPJs, Snipers, Assault Rifles & Thermal/Night Vision devices are being issued currently in phases. But priority is being given to LOC, LAC, UN Peacekeepers & RR Battalions in the valley. Rest of the reserved infantry will start getting stuff once requirements of front line troops are fulfilled. Plus some of the equipment with Infantry & RR Battalions posted along LOC are procured by Northern Commanders' financial powers which are in limited numbers.
There are very few things which are explored at LOC. Every battalion of every regiment is getting good stuff and there is very little we know about.

Unknowncommando 2

Country flag

1) Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) Passive Night Vision Single Tube Full Field Binocular System
2) MKU Ballistic Helmet
3) TONBO EK Uncooled Smart Thermal Weapon Sight (SWTS)

1) BEL Night Vision Binoculars
2) TONBO ARJUN Thermal Sight
3) BEL Hand Held Thermal Imager and ofcourse the MKU Ballistic Helmet

BEL Passive Night Vision Sights on AKM Clones

Some other foreign equipment
Brugger and Thomet Mp9 with suppressor

East German MPI KMS 72 with FAB DEFENSE Modifications & BEL Holographic Sight

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS
Our soldiers still look as if its 1970s ........ seriously need to mordernize the army personnel. First trim the strength and then mordernize it
First Things that we need is a better looking Uniform and Modern Looking Camo. This is for all our Armed Forces including Police Special Units, Paramilitary and CAPFs. Our Army and other forces looks like they are still stuck back in 1980s and 1990s with there current Uniform which is at least better than the Uniform and Camo that we used during Kargil War and some time after which looked like it’s from 1950s and 1960s. A uniform and Camo of a Army Symbolizes Both The Army and Country it Serves. Indian Army Must Change it’s uniform and Especially the Camo to a Modern One. If your Enemy State or Your friendly Neighbors States want take your state and it’s Army Seriously than your must have Aesthetics and Skill. US Army is one of the most Recognizable Army in the world. This is because they have a certain type Style and Aesthetics that they maintain along with there Skill and Prowess.

MIDKNIGHT FENERIR-00

VICTORIOUM AUT MORS
Our soldiers still look as if its 1970s ........ seriously need to mordernize the army personnel. First trim the strength and then mordernize it
First Things that we need is a better looking Uniform and Modern Looking Camo. This is for all our Armed Forces including Police Special Units, Paramilitary and CAPFs. Our Army and other forces looks like they are still stuck back in 1980s and 1990s with there current Uniform which is at least better than the Uniform and Camo that we used during Kargil War and some time after which looked like it’s from 1950s and 1960s. A uniform and Camo of a Army Symbolizes Both The Army and Country it Serves. Indian Army Must Change it’s uniform and Especially the Camo to a Modern One. If your Enemy State or Your friendly Neighbors States want take your state and it’s Army Seriously than your must have Aesthetics and Skill. US Army is one of the most Recognizable Army in the world. This is because they have a certain type Style and Aesthetics that they maintain along with there Skill and Prowess.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Modernization of Frontline Infantry Jawan with desi equipment 1) Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) Passive Night Vision Single Tube Full Field Binocular System 2) MKU Ballistic Helmet 3) TONBO EK Uncooled Smart Thermal Weapon Sight (SWTS)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If we modernize training of infantry with evolving technology then only Indian infantry gear will improve, for example we have rails on every INSAS 1B1 but no red dot for regular infantry in last 20 years or so even its being mass produce locally now.

Mordenising does not meant merely copying foreign origin, This includes experienced we gained during our conflicts both conventional and unconventional fronts, for example two Airforce special force men lost their lives due to head-shots ( Forehead ) while wearing new Kevlar helmets they used to wear patkas, In past Patkas saved many lives in very similar situations.

Hello all,

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles