Mil Mi-26T2 Halo vs Boeing CH47F Chinook

Blackwater

Aaah, everytime someone's points are proven wrong, out comes the expletives. :lol:

Tsk, tsk, tsk, sorry, I have to call out bluffs whenever I see something like a sales pitch!

Kya kare yaar, aadat hi aisa hai. ;)
truth is bitter. but truth is truth. iam from Chandigarh. and these fat ass are based in Chd. My uncle was in 3BRD depot. He himself admitted that Mi-26 is white elephant. it has more maintenance issue than efficiency.

and IAF could not used this fat ass fully for this shit was bought.

Adux

Country flag
Adux,

I am not trying to antoganize you man. I am pointing out the shortcomings of the Chinook. It just cannot carry heavy equipment like the Mi 26. On the other hand there are other helos that can carry troops and are as versatile as the Chinook.

The question is what is the IA looking at airlifting. If the answer is heavy equipment, like tanks, APV's etc, the Chinook just does match up the Mi 26's abilities.

The Mi 17 can carry 30 troops, the Mi 8 can carry 25. These are excellent copters that also have altitude advantage when compared to the Chinook. And we have these in huge numbers. Most of the Chinooks advantages that you have highlighted pertain to troop deployment. I am just saying that those attributes are well met by other choppers which we have. The one attribute that distinguishes these two choppers is equipment lift and in that aspect, the Chinook is outperformed. Please note, we will never need the ability to land a tank or APV on top of a mountain.

You are not thinking at all, and you are totally wrong here.
You are still stuck up on payload, but you are not looking at payload to what effect and where? Think like Military men, not like common courier man.
What is the use of all that payload, when we cant get that payload where we want it go?
You dont understand that IAF has other options to carry large payloads, but IAF dont have any options to reach their boys in the mountains manning those M 777's in the 5-12 ton category. Our ALG's are located above the service celings of the Mi-26, while our M 777 guns are going to be located above those airfeilds in the mountains.

With ope rationalization and forward deployment (cold start after effects), our BMP's etc will be placed along the border's in peace time itself, also with opening of new ALG's, all the BMP's, Tanks will be transported by C-17 and C-130, not in juggad unplanned fashion last time we did it.

You are not even wondering why the Americans who have machine's of Mi-26 category is not pitching that product? MH-53K. Or is it difficult for you to accept that you were wrong, and you have issues learning from others? If so, I will decline to comment further and make peace.

Indian Army has changed, unfortunate that you havent.

pmaitra

Ok, I will make a tabular representation later on, comparing the two aircrafts.

All of you, please post the advantages and disadvantages of both these aricrafts. Measurable values are preferred, like X can carry x kg and Y can carry y kg, so that we can compare the values and do an objective evaluation.

pmaitra

truth is bitter. but truth is truth. iam from Chandigarh. and these fat ass are based in Chd. My uncle was in 3BRD depot. He himself admitted that Mi-26 is white elephant. it has more maintenance issue than efficiency.

and IAF could not used this fat ass fully for this shit was bought.
Mil-26 has issues with spares (this also I have said in this thread, just go back and check). My BiL is in IAF and is an aircraft engineer in Chandigarh. :) But that is prima facie.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Hey are we speaking about a Tactilcal heavy lift heli or a strategic heavy lift heli- because for Tactical operations this MI-26 looks like a big no no :nono:

Blackwater

Mil-26 has issues with spares (this also I have said in this thread, just go back and check). My BiL is in IAF and is an aircraft engineer in Chandigarh. :) But that is prima facie.
is he in 3BRD???? coz they repair all choppers

Adux

Country flag
What did the special needs class prefect prove with his two pictures, NOTHING. Just that in uneven , diffcult angles and where there is no more to maneover , the damn tail rotor design cant even put the ----ing 'goods unload ramp' on the ground. all it can do is hover around, imagine that in crosswinds. Also, his argument about service ceilings fell flat about china sector not being above 15,000, all the while all our ALG's itself are above it. What a useless oxygen thief.

pmaitra

Hey are we speaking about a Tactilcal heavy lift heli or a strategic heavy lift heli- because for Tactical operations this MI-26 looks like a big no no :nono:
In Tactial Operations, Chinook scores over Mil-26, but for Strategic Operations, Mil-26 scores over Chinook. For Tactical Operations, we already have Mil-17, which is more than capable, but the only disadvantage is, a single rotor will be less stable in crosswinds than a twin rotor helo.

Very good question BTW.

pmaitra

is he in 3BRD???? coz they repair all choppers
He said he worked on most of transport aircraft that fighters that flew from Chandigarh during Kargil War. Not sure if he works on Helos, but he is trained in most crafts.

Adux

Country flag
The moron keeps on harping his idiotic musings, he figures the difference between strategic and tactical now, at this juncture after 17 pages. All the while he has no clue that IAF has absolutely no way to transport the guns which will weigh more than 7 tons with all the bells and whistles to above 15,000 feet where all the guns are going to be positioned. How are Mi26's going to get here? CRAWL after 15000 ft? Can the Mi26 bring tanks or BMP's to Daluat Beg oldie, Fukche, Nyoma, Thoise? It cant, even because they are ALL ABOVE 15000 ft.

Do you know how IAF is going to do it? C-17 and C-130

He doesnt even have a clue on how a future indian M-777 gun position is going to comprise, and how the Army intends to fight. He keeps on talking about payload, maybe after 15,000 he will arrange for donkey's to carry to even further up, all the while boys get run over by the chinese.

What a moron.

Blackwater

He said he worked on most of transport aircraft that fighters that flew from Chandigarh during Kargil War. Not sure if he works on Helos, but he is trained in most crafts.
3BRD is repair depot of choppers like MI-8,17,26

Adux

Country flag
3BRD is repair depot of choppers like MI-8,17,26
He is just farting, blackwater. You said, you had first hand info, all of a sudden he throws in a name, Flt.Engg's of Helicopters and Airplanes are not the same.

Blackwater

He is just farting, blackwater. You said, you had first hand info, all of a sudden he throws in a name, Flt.Engg's of Helicopters and Airplanes are not the same.

well iam not in mood of farting especially after 5 pegs of vodka...

Adux

Country flag
All of you, please post the advantages and disadvantages of both these aricrafts. Measurable values are preferred, like X can carry x kg and Y can carry y kg, so that we can compare the values and do an objective evaluation
Oo saar is going to come with 'objective evaluation in tabular format, is that paukii wonderfoool blisss on who carries more vegetables, what a great way to acquire military understanding, Who the ---- cares about the doctrine, geography, military requirement and logistics, its all about who carry's more kilos of vegetables. Special needs prefect continues his musings of foolishness, what is this, the military of Suppandi?

Last edited:

pmaitra

Leave all this prima facie talk. Let's have some raw data and compare, other than what has already been posted.

pmaitra

Also, if anyone is suffering from an epileptic fit is requested to get medical help.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Adux

Country flag
So who is going to moderate the moderator ? As usual seen quite lacking to the position he has been appointed to, carrying on with his prejudices

pmaitra

Comparing Mil Mi-26T2 'Halo' and Boeing CH47F 'Chinook' for the role of a heavy lift helicopter and/or strategic lifter.

Mil Mi-26T2 'Halo'Boeing CH47F 'Chinook'
crew3
(+2 for older versions)
range800 km741 km
empty weight28,200 kg10,185 kg
loaded weight49,600 kg12,100 kg
max. takeoff weight56,000 kg22,680 kg
troop capacity9055
service ceiling4,600 m6,096 m
speed255 km/h (cruise)
295 km/h (max)
240 km/h (cruise)
315 km/h (max)
sparesSpares are not available all the time. Delivery by Mil is not subject to sanctions as the Russian Federation and the erstwhile Soviet Union has not, and is not likely to, sanction India. The problem is apolotical.Spares are available as long as IAF operations do not go against US interests. Otherwise, there is possibility of sanctions. Boeing is subject to US political interests. The problem is political.
real life combatyes
(Soviet-Mujahideen War in Afghanistan)
yes
(US led NATO War on Terror in Afghanistan)
cross-windless stablemore stable
vulnerability to MANPADsyesyes

So, the two heavy lifters are compared by stats. Both have seen extensive action in Afghanistan, and also other places. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Eventually, IAF will weigh all factors and come to a conclusion.

References:
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/jsp_...s/awx/2011/03/24/awx_03_24_2011_p0-301165.xml
Mil Mi-26 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Boeing CH-47 Chinook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.rostvertolplc.ru/en/product/mi-26/version/mi-26t2/
http://www.boeing.com/rotorcraft/military/ch47d/docs/CH-47F_overview.pdf

P.S.: If you notice any errors, please let me know.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@ Pmaitra

Real life combat: Chinook participated in every major American war since the Vietnam war from the tropical jungles, to desert regions and cold high altitude regions.

pmaitra

@ Pmaitra

Real life combat: Chinook participated in every major American war since the Vietnam war from the tropical jungles, to desert regions and cold high altitude regions.
Yes, I agree. I have seen that in the links I posted. I just mentioned Afghanistan because (1) it is recent and (2) it is mountainous. I have added 'other places' to the table.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles