Manga/Anime Thread

cyclops

Country flag
With Chandrayaan-3's success, I thought I'd refer these:

Planetes - Humanity is somewhat established in space and there's a developed earth-space ecosystem. The story follows your typical(only initially) misfits in the space debris clean up unit of Technora Corp. the science looks plausible enough, The tech also isn't too science fictioney and the story beats are enmeshed with the science. I would say its definitely in the hard science genre. There's even an Indian character as well but he's quite caricatured, so be aware. However, overall, I still very much enjoyed it. Takes a few episodes to take off but keeps building from there. Great character development, especially later on; is action, comedy, thriller, drama. Also has some very interesting things to say about the geopolitics of space.

There are entire story arcs on the moon as well.

Uchuu Kyodai - This one's straight up about astronauts and lunar base development. Its 2025 and we follow the journey of two brothers on their quest to go to the moon. The younger brother ends up becoming an astronaut first so we initially follow the older brother on his journey to be a JAXA astronaut. This one is mostly character based, is a proper hero's journey, has comedy, some action, some drama, slice of life and is a very well written story. This one imho, is even more realistic and hard science fictioney; not saying that makes it better since Planetes has some really cool prospective science stuff. Just saying that if you follow the ISRO threads, you will also be able to identify some of the technical elements in Space Brothers. Space Brothers is fast paced from the very first episode and keeps you hooked.

vin bharat mahan

Kumaoni, Uttarakhand
Country flag
It's hard to re-read a novel even if you are into it but i will try to read it again if I have time already have a huge ass list to finish.
Only novel I have read more than once would be second coming of gluttony.
During lock-down i was in severe depression and TSCOG updates kept me afloat I used to have anxiety attacks sometimes if a caught up with chapters and didn't have anything to read more.I don't want to experience something like that again.To stop it only way for me was to find something to keep my mind occupied which resulted in me reading the novel multiple times till it ended.
View attachment 199797View attachment 199798View attachment 199799View attachment 199800
this is just webnovel and another huge list on mtlnation and some decent ~2000 chapter CNs
which app is this???

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
How popular is anime in India? I feel that it will be difficult for anime to become popular in India in terms of cultural and social aspects. Do you have any opinions?
Anime and manga/manhua/manhwa is one of biggest growing source of entertainment in India right now very very very popular in NE India and Delhi there are regular anime/comin cons and events alot of cosplays and it's kinda big now saying that it's growing would be kind of an understatement right now it's already grown and just becoming huge especially movies alot of movies were housefull recently sold out completely but studios aren't really releasing movies that frequently in India but that's changing for better now. Gaming and Anime both are putting money in Marketing too in Indian metro cities you can see hordings of anime and games when there release on metro stations and all that.

vin bharat mahan

Kumaoni, Uttarakhand
Country flag
How popular is anime in India? I feel that it will be difficult for anime to become popular in India in terms of cultural and social aspects. Do you have any opinions?
what do u mean by cultural nd social aspects?? india nd japanese culture hv many similarities. from buddhism to hindu gods, japan take many things from india. watch this video, u gonna understand. many anime/manhuwa hv some elements of indian religion nd philosophy.

prasadr14

PrasadReddy
Anime gives makers a lot of freedom to convey their stories.
Some of the most heart touching movies are anime,
The best sports series/movies made are anime.

Haikyu still remains the best sports series ever made.
If you got young ones at home, I strongly recommend this to watch with your kids.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
in one word,

IMMENSELY

like, the basic plot of the Shingeki no Kyojin // Attack of Titan anime (manga) became part of our state board = 12th standard english exam in 2022 :shock:
1703369972346.png

in my childhood I got to witness hindi-dubbed animes like DragonBall Z, Cardcaptor Sakura (the girly anime that as a boy i was fan of because animation and magical things), Doraemon, Shinchan, Kiteretsu, Kochikame :drool: (one of my personal favourite, PLEASE FOR GOD SAKE, TELL THE MANGA GUYS TO RE-RELEASE ENGLISH PRINTOUTS OF MANGA SETS HERE IN INDIA :namaste: ), Ninja Hatorri and what not

Heck i was fortunate to even get to see some lesser known (but well stored in my memory) animes like,

Kyatto Ninden Teyandee//Samurai Pizza Cats
1703370237632.png

Kaiketsu Zorro//The Legend of Zorro
1703370283207.png

(MY PERSONAL FUCKIN' FAVOURITE FROM CHILDHOOD, I WROTE EXTENSIVELY ABOUT IT IN POSTS BEFORE)
I don't watch anime (only because i'm too lazy to make a list of animes to download,as there're thousands of them),but when i was a kid they used to telecast one on Sahara one's 'Just Kidz' segment that was my favorite and the anime i'm talking bout is THE LEGEND OF ZORRO (KAIKETSU ZORRO in Japan).

Man,I was a hardcore fan of Zorro.While every kid was itching hard to get powers of Shaktimaan,I was dreaming of becoming this dude.I remember i used to make Domino Masks out of Old Newspapers,Wearing Dadaji's blanket around my neck as a Cape and faking a stick as sword,making 'Z's on air (or sometimes,'G's as its first letter of my name :)).

Later,i found out this 'cartoon' was actually an anime,as per 'technical specifications'.

Here's the famous Intro of the anime.(It's original Japanese Intro with title theme song,Other translated versions have instrumental theme only).
Fortunately all the episodes of The Legend of Zorro are available on Youtube. Here's the link of full 52 episodes.
So, never knew legendary singer Masaaki Endoh was the one who sung both opening and closing themes for Kaiketsu Zorro!
This guy's famous among japanese metal and anime fans, because Yu-Gi-Oh!, Brave and so...

Anyway after searching around came to know about these live performance, performing full version of the opening theme song hhmm

Reading comments got full japanese lyrics (and google translated version of lyrics, likewise) that goes by

Japanese

朝焼けに染まった この空を仰ぐ町
眠らない邪悪が 色を塗り替える
その中を 情熱の疾風(かぜ)が走って
静かな自由へと 抜けて行く

どこかで誰かが 光る剣を待つ
煌めく明日を 夢見て
どこかで誰かが 笑顔取り戻す
"ZORRO" という文字を 見つめて

悲しみに染まった 心を見逃さない
優しさと強さを 両手に抱えて
その道を 情熱の疾風(かぜ)が走って
涙に濡れた火を 消しに来る

どこかで誰かが 光る剣を待つ
勇気と正義を 信じて
どこかで誰かが 未来取り戻す
"ZORRO" という文字を 見つめて

どこかで誰かが 光る剣を待つ
煌めく明日を 夢見て
どこかで誰かが 笑顔取り戻す
"ZORRO" という文字を 見つめて

Romaji

asayake ni somatta   kono sora o aogu machi
nemuranai jāku ga   iro o nurikaeru
sono naka o   jōnetsu no shippū ( kaze ) ga hashitte
shizukana jiyū e to   nuketeiku

doko ka de dare ka ga   hikaru ken o matsu
kirameku ashita o   yumemite
doko ka de dare ka ga   egao torimodosu
" ZORRO " toiu moji o   mitsumete

kanashimi ni somatta   kokoro o minogasanai
yasashi sa to tsuyo sa o   ryōte ni kakaete
sonomichi o   jōnetsu no shippū ( kaze ) ga hashitte
namida ni nureta hi o   keshi ni kuru

yūki to seigi o   shinjite
doko ka de dare ka ga   mirai torimodosu

kirameku ashita o   yumemite
doko ka de dare ka ga   egao torimodosu

English Translation

A town looking up at this sky dyed by the sunrise
The evil that never sleeps recolors
A cold of passion runs through it
Going out to quiet freedom

Somewhere someone waits for a shining sword
Dreaming of a glittering tomorrow
Somewhere someone regains a smile
Staring at the letters "ZORRO"

Don't miss your heart dyed with sadness
Holding kindness and strength in both hands
A cold of passion runs along that road
Come to extinguish the fire wet with tears

Believe in courage and justice
Somewhere someone will regain the future

Dreaming of a glittering tomorrow
Somewhere someone regains a smile

😪 Reading further also explains why we never got much hindi episodes...simply because this anime wasn't aired beyond some 10 some episodes in Japan itself, originally being a joint Italian-Japanese project and mostly aimed at western audience etc, so whatever Sahara got dubbed in Hindi mostly could have been japanese stuff i assume...rest stuff dubbed in japanese, english etc seems to have been made available later in DVD etc formats so at this age it is complete yes back in our childhood...i dunno... 😪 wish full Hindi dub was also available...

some Cinderella anime, some Christopher Columbus anime, some Mecha anime that i vaguely remember and...even some chinese CCP chinese propaganda cartoons in anime style if you could say so - like on agriculture and things like that 🤷‍♂️

Internet has boosted interest of Anime and hentai too 😏 among Indians

We Indian kids who grew up in 90s and early 2000s are so indebted to Japanese people for making our lives awesome with both anime-cartoons as well as NES games of Contra, Super Mario Bros. and all :namaste:

Gyyan

Country flag

If you got young ones at home, I strongly recommend this to watch with your kids.
Try blue lock

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag

One of best sure the best idk man yuri on ice, and hajimo no ippo exists

prasadr14

PrasadReddy
One of best sure the best idk man yuri on ice, and hajimo no ippo exists
They are good but it just could be my bias but Haikyu was in the way it explains the game very well from very minor details to complex set ups.
Have not seen any sports anime/series that educates viewers about the game in such detail.

plus side, there are no heavy themes, sticks to sports, bit of banter, sportsmanship, teamwork etc etc...It's one of those shows you can watch with your kids and enjoy it.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
They are good but it just could be my bias but Haikyu was in the way it explains the game very well from very minor details to complex set ups.
Have not seen any sports anime/series that educates viewers about the game in such detail.

plus side, there are no heavy themes, sticks to sports, bit of banter, sportsmanship, teamwork etc etc...It's one of those shows you can watch with your kids and enjoy it.
I would have voted it no. 1 but cancelling anime and planning to finish it in just 2 movies does it some serious injustice at that point I just am not looking forward to it

KaiGenji

Country flag
what do u mean by cultural nd social aspects?? india nd japanese culture hv many similarities. from buddhism to hindu gods, japan take many things from india. watch this video, u gonna understand. many anime/manhuwa hv some elements of indian religion nd philosophy.
In India, a treasure trove of unimaginable diversity, isn't it difficult to accommodate multiple languages and cultures? We believe.
I don't know if anime can handle that.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
In India, a treasure trove of unimaginable diversity, isn't it difficult to accommodate multiple languages and cultures? We believe.
Subtitles for the win yes there is an audiance for dubs and all shows used to be dub in my childhood from Hindi/tamil/Telugu and other languages now most of population speaks/understands English no matter where they are from in India so most people have no problem understanding anime plus piracy is very much a comman thing here so it's easy to get access to anime even for someone from remote area of the nation and some animes have started releasing regional language dubs too now I think Netflix does that.

vin bharat mahan

Kumaoni, Uttarakhand
Country flag
not a problem...when indian can easily understand scifi comics (DC/marveletc), norse mythology nd christian mythology inspired western contents....compaire to them japanese, korean nd chinese comics (manga, manhuwa etc) r familar for us. asian culture is very similar. i think u make ur perception of india, by western media. who mostly shows bad nd fake side of india.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles