Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Damian

What version, what source.. what construction ?
So you are not capable to read and do not understand a codename AGM-114A?

As for penetration, it is classified but it is not a problem to assume such for a 170+mm diameter warhead to be around ~1,000mm for the basic variant.

I did not say that anywhere. At the contrary, it is necessary to discuss claims with arguments.
Yes you said it, many times.

militarysta

AGDUS mostly represents 80s ATGM with simple warhead configuration
And those sentence is based on what acually? :)
AGDUS had many improvment, and version. I had acess to damage model only for "bule on blue" scenario and for version developed for Leo-2A4 in late 1980s. And for you knwoledges ADGUS included (in that version) TOW-2A so 1000mm RHA and tandem warhed, and HOT-2 whit warhed on perforation 900mm RHA. Both very modern and definetly not whorse then Soviet analogs in 1980s. HOT-2 is 150mm diamaeter, TOW-2A 152mm.
Ask Damian - I had shown him part of this.

and it is in no way indicative of protection,
Of course it can be some indicative becouse it clearly shown assumed by developers protection level on tank.
For Leo-2A4 and AGDUS developers where sure that HOT/TOW warhed is unable to destroy tank during frontal turret hit. The maks damage is turret faliture mode and swipped in to manual FCS function.

It also wouldn't make sense to simulate defeat under all conditions.
But it's not that. AGDUS values and damage system is more harsh then propably life.
For example in AGDUS no matter what 3 hits (ATGM, APFSDS) during 30s time give "destroyed tank" as result.
So suggesting that tank have any "a head start" is nonsense. It's even opposite.

There is no information on condition of that hit as well as of characteristics of the missile,
M1A1HA, 1991, frontal turret hit, whit very small angle (5degree circa). Armour was penetrate by more then 70cm deep.
AGM-114 was unable to perforate that armour whit SC warhed whit penetration circa 1100mm RHA

Only one simplification in AGDUS is based on sensor placment.

This was posted by one guy on polish forum, about simplified Agdus modell when are used only choosen factors (less laser indicators etc). Generally -for simplest, more primitive AGDUS version.

values for 120mm KE (DM33A1)
blue - "observe" (beobachten )
orange - immobile
pink - partial destroyed
green - "turret damage" ("turm aus" -in Leo-2A4 on of the faliture mode when are using reserve drivers or FCS elements)
red - destroyed (totall)

Cone angle is one factor,
Oh, so firstly you bigger argument was about "innefective construction with 60 degree cone angle" when I had shown that in late 1980s Cobra GLATGM had still construction with 60 degree cone angle You are starting to escape from this to other fators.

other factors affecting the jet speed can be for example, amount, energy of explosive. Kobra was improved (...)
The warhead differed in material and explosive, thus in higher efficiency.
And it had still 125mm SC diameter warhed, when I was talking about used 152mm diamaeter warhed.
More or less Kobra warhed in late 1980s still didn't achive 1968 152mm SC diameter RHA penetration level.

ERA resembles bulging plate on this aspect, but main difference is that the velocity of it's plate does not depend on the characteristics of the stream. Howewer this is not the point here.(...)About lenght, it is not correct. "Main objective of the separation is to provide enought space for the bulge effect to be ralised, as well as to the affected elements to spare and not pass throught the crater frormed by the leading part of the stream. Further increase in lenght weakly alters the penetration ability."

What will greater speed do is increase the part of the stream which would pass without being affected, under similar energy it will result in greater penetration.
It's not exatly the truth :) Burlinghton evolved many times. Example from used in 1990s "innefective construction" in Germany:
For all tests, a shaped charge calibre 136 mm with a 60 degree copper cone and wave shaping was used. The maximum
penetration of this charge is 950 mm in RHA at astandoff of 6 calibre. The jet tip velocity is 8250 m/s.

The results:
the calculation has the fastest particles in the velocity interval 5500-
5750 m/s.

What killer construction made sucht speed decrease? Double layers NERA.
What was the biggest residual penetration?
PES: Measured residual jet penetration in the witness plate: 70-100mm RHA for 5500km/s jet after NERA for simple Elastomer used in NERA And that was the worst scenario..

BTW: You had misunderstood tekst in part:
"Analysis of the results has shown that the main factors on which the character and interval of the interaction of the bulge with the stream depend, are the angle of incidence, the thickness of the plate and the speed of the leading part of the stream"

About lenght, it is not correct. "Main objective of the separation is to provide enought space for the bulge effect to be ralised, as well as to the affected elements to spare and not pass throught the crater frormed by the leading part of the stream. Further increase in lenght weakly alters the penetration ability."

What will greater speed do is increase the part of the stream which would pass without being affected, under similar energy it will result in greater penetration.
spaciation jet result drasticly decrease in penetration, even if velocity is big enought after NERA:

Vres[km/s]: (Measured velocity of the fastest jet particle behind) // Measured residual jet penetration in the witness plate
6110 - 22mm
5180 - 15mm
6170 - 24mm
5960 - 14mm
6090 - 107mm
5250 - 70mm
5820 - 57mm
5500 - 62mm

More or less you had take false conclusion : there is no interacion between how fast is jet after moving plates. SC jet will be spaced and even if velocity will be bigger then 6km/s the penetration can be small. Really smal -exaple 24mm.

What more -You completly ignore fact that there is bog difrence between ERA and dozen layers in NERA/Burlinghton armour. I had wroter about this: Look how many semi-active layers included both Burlinghton clones armour models - 8-9 on first erly model (so at least 16-19 moving plates) , and at lest 4 normal and maybe 3 aditional and M1A1HA model (between 8 and 14 moving plates). It's situation completly diffent then ERA casette whit only 1-2 explosive layers and 2-4 moving plates.
-

The stream speed is differential in lenght, the elongation of the stream and it's speed difference depends on the cone angle. I am talking about copper jet, the leading part is normally between 7-9 m/s depending on angle, but also on explosive energy (and other factors..) For example with same detonating speed, velocity of the leading part (copper) can vary from 10 to 6 km/s depending on cone angle, the greater, the less.
On test in 1990s a shaped charge calibre 136 mm with a 60 degree copper cone and wave shaping was used. The maximum
penetration of this charge is 950 mm in RHA at astandoff of 6 calibre. The jet tip velocity is 8250 m/s

So maybe they had used "obsolate 60 degree copper" SC warhed whit "only" 950mm RHA penetration and jet tip velocity is 8250 m/s?

But agian - You didn't answer:
How big is Kobra and Refleks jet tip velocity?
In fact both will be in "safe" range for Burlinghton and NERA working.
Other words: You don;t have any evidence that late Kobra and Refleks warhed can use "super-duper fast jet" to overpas Burlinghton armour.

Cobra for sure will have better performance due to advancement in material and explosive,
And the same Kobra was describve by Vasiliy Fofanov. He had claimed that typical it was between 550-600mm RHA. He was writing aboiut this on otvaga sevral times. It's really consist whit 1968 Burlinghton tests and 127mm warhed: 23 inches (584 mm RHA) for the 127 mm charge. That level was avaible for 1970s and erly 1980s 9К112 "Кобра".
And still there is no single evidence that even late Kobra overpas those 152mm SC warhed used on Burlinghton tests.

More or less there is only one conclusion: Burlinghton tested in 1968 survive multiple hits from 127 and 152mm SC whit 584 mm RHA and 711mm RHA penetration. And during whole 1970s and erly 1980s there was no better warhed avaible in both blocks (WarPac and NATO).
Kobra SC was imposible to overpas those 152mm SC performance. GLATGM was uneffective.

Last edited:

Damian

Meanwhile.

This is photo from Benet Laboratory in USA, among many it shows the XM360 120mm smoothbore gun and something very interesting, notice that 120mm APFSDS round mockup. US Armed Forces use such mockups for training, and these mockups are identical copies of real rounds, however this APFSDS is completely unknown to me... perhaps it is M829A4?

Damian

Meanwhile.

This is photo from Benet Laboratory in USA, among many it shows the XM360 120mm smoothbore gun and something very interesting, notice that 120mm APFSDS round mockup. US Armed Forces use such mockups for training, and these mockups are identical copies of real rounds, however this APFSDS is completely unknown to me... perhaps it is M829A4?

hest

Of course it can be some indicative becouse it clearly shown assumed by developers protection level on tank.
For Leo-2A4 and AGDUS developers where sure that HOT/TOW warhed is unable to destroy tank during frontal turret hit. The maks damage is turret faliture mode and swipped in to manual FCS function.
It wouldn't make sense otherwise for training system.

But it's not that. AGDUS values and damage system is more harsh then propably life.
For example in AGDUS no matter what 3 hits (ATGM, APFSDS) during 30s time give "destroyed tank" as result.
So suggesting that tank have any "a head start" is nonsense. It's even opposite.
A training system has other objective and it is never exact representation of penetration or protection value. Same as when on manual penetration of sabot is highened by 20% or lowered, random.

It also shows that hull is relatively vulnerable, so is hull ammunition then.

M1A1HA, 1991, frontal turret hit, whit very small angle (5degree circa). Armour was penetrate by more then 70cm deep.
AGM-114 was unable to perforate that armour whit SC warhed whit penetration circa 1100mm RHA
What version, what source.. I see the value is no more than random estimate.

Oh, so firstly you bigger argument was about "innefective construction with 60 degree cone angle" when I had shown that in late 1980s Cobra GLATGM had still construction with 60 degree cone angle You are starting to escape from this to other fators.
I do not, I know Cobra is also 60 degree, and that latter ATGM changed. It does not change fact that it is one factor. The main point is:

- Velocity characteristics do matter to deal against composite armour, as well as construction features which do not reflect performance against steel. ATGM is not designed to deal against steel.

- Angle matters, construction quality and explosive material, and ATGM of more than decade advancement can well have better performance than older warhead, different interaction with composite armour.

So caliber alone is not a factor.

And it had still 125mm SC diameter warhed, when I was talking about used 152mm diamaeter warhed.
More or less Kobra warhed in late 1980s still didn't achive 1968 152mm SC diameter RHA penetration level.
Kobra stream could well have different interaction with Burlington, not steel, which you do not account.

It's not exatly the truth :) Burlinghton evolved many times. Example from used in 1990s "innefective construction" in Germany:
For all tests, a shaped charge calibre 136 mm with a 60 degree copper cone and wave shaping was used. The maximum
penetration of this charge is 950 mm in RHA at astandoff of 6 calibre. The jet tip velocity is 8250 m/s.

The results:
the calculation has the fastest particles in the velocity interval 5500-
5750 m/s.

What killer construction made sucht speed decrease? Double layers NERA.
What was the biggest residual penetration?
PES: Measured residual jet penetration in the witness plate: 70-100mm RHA for 5500km/s jet after NERA for simple Elastomer used in NERA And that was the worst scenario..

Vres[km/s]: (Measured velocity of the fastest jet particle behind) // Measured residual jet penetration in the witness plate
6110 - 22mm
5180 - 15mm
6170 - 24mm
5960 - 14mm
6090 - 107mm
5250 - 70mm
5820 - 57mm
5500 - 62mm
The cone angle alters the elongation and the velocity gradient, so there can be greater part of stream with faster velocity, unnafected by bulge, than of the one with cone of greater angle (tip is only part of stream).

I have the relation between decrease of velocity of the stream elements and the efficiency of armour, left graphic:

Here it is shown in left, penetration in function of plate thickness, medium and maximum. The reason why efficiency decreases is the reduction in velocity of stream elements after each plate, and lower energy transmited to deformation, so what you show is the opposite :)

Howewer, this shows effect for a given velocity gradient. If velocity is in general greater from the start, the effectiveness of such armour diminishes.

BTW: You had misunderstood tekst in part:

spaciation jet result drasticly decrease in penetration, even if velocity is big enought after NERA:
Space is only for deformation and dispersion of affected stream elements, beyond that it does not offer significant increase in protection.

What more -You completly ignore fact that there is bog difrence between ERA and dozen layers in NERA/Burlinghton armour. I had wroter about this: Look how many semi-active layers included both Burlinghton clones armour models - 8-9 on first erly model (so at least 16-19 moving plates) , and at lest 4 normal and maybe 3 aditional and M1A1HA model (between 8 and 14 moving plates). It's situation completly diffent then ERA casette whit only 1-2 explosive layers and 2-4 moving plates.
-
I am talking only about multiple bulging plates.

But agian - You didn't answer:
How big is Kobra and Refleks jet tip velocity?
In fact both will be in "safe" range for Burlinghton and NERA working.
Other words: You don;t have any evidence that late Kobra and Refleks warhed can use "super-duper fast jet" to overpas Burlinghton armour.
The position is that Kobra can have different characteristics than test warhead, and different interaction. With advancement in quality and explosive material, fully possible, also reflected in greater caliber effectiveness. Wether Kobra will penetrate Burlington or not, cannot really be said, can it have better efficiency ? Fully possible, and very likely in view of all this. Can you assure after test with older 152 mm warhed, that it will defeat Kobra as well ? No.

And the same Kobra was describve by Vasiliy Fofanov. He had claimed that typical it was between 550-600mm RHA. He was writing aboiut this on otvaga sevral times. It's really consist whit 1968 Burlinghton tests and 127mm warhed: 23 inches (584 mm RHA) for the 127 mm charge. That level was avaible for 1970s and erly 1980s 9К112 "Кобра".
And still there is no single evidence that even late Kobra overpas those 152mm SC warhed used on Burlinghton tests.
I don't know what did he say, but there is no single value if there are different versions.

Neither there is evidence that Burlington could protect against Kobra, or for the opposite.

Last edited:

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

any please explain the function of the square shaped object to the right side of the solder on the turrent

Damian

any please explain the function of the square shaped object to the right side of the solder on the turrent
It is IR Dazzler, it's purpose is to jamm SACLOS ATGM's guidance system.

Secondary purpose is that it can be used as IR Searchlight for active nightvision devices.

It is part of Shtora-1 system.

collegeboy16

Meanwhile.

@Damian what is the flange diameter of 120 mm smoothbore rounds?

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

@Damian what is the flange diameter of 120 mm smoothbore rounds?
You mean the propelant charge case? For NATO 120mm smoothbore guns, propelant charge case diameter is not know to me, probably around 130-140mm in diameter.

Last edited by a moderator:

militarysta

It wouldn't make sense otherwise for training system.
Meybe in Russia...

AGDUS was developed to made normal (close to the reality as it's possible) fight on field. And damage model is realistic as it's possible. The only simplifiaction is palcment of laser indicators - to many numbers is to heavy to place on tank. So there is some simplifiaction about areas (for example - gun mantled mask is not excluded). But generally tank have sevral zones and there is 7 class of thread.

And AGDUS developers where sure that frontal turret hit by TOW-2A and HOT-2 will not destroyed tank, or even heavy damage.

A training system has other objective and it is never exact representation of penetration or protection value. Same as when on manual penetration of sabot is highened by 20% or lowered, random.
I understand that AGUDS and , MILES are not present in Russia and wasn't present during Soviet times, but the aim to use sucht sytems is make close to reality traning as it's possible. And damage model just MUST be realistic. And that realistic model is present in AGDUS.

It also shows that hull is relatively vulnerable, so is hull ammunition then.
Those picture was about APFSDS. But, yes - you can see that ammo rack in hull is placed as area when hit makes "destroyed tank". But rest of the hull means "immobilised" or other word - wounded.

What version, what source.. I see the value is no more than random estimate.
Bla bla bla
You had version: M1A1HA, AGM-114 was used in one version in ODS. Caliber of SC is known - 170mm, perforation is calimed as bigger then 1100mm RHA for sucht big SC. Front turret hit, circa 70cm depth penetration. No more details.
Sources was given sevral times here - those acciden is mentioned quite offen in literature, but I had few more details from polish soilders whos wents to For Knox and Bennig for trening at M1. It was typical "exchange in order to acquire experience" when sevral polish NCOs went to USA to known M1 Tank and compare it whit Leo-2A4 used in Polish Army. Of course for you it will be "not enought" "funny source" "misinforamtion" etc. For my those guys haven't resons to lie, and if in 1968 Burlinghton windstand 711mm RHA 152mm SC co in 1991 it's really posible that armour windstand 170mm SC whit >1100mm RHA penetration.

I do not, I know Cobra is also 60 degree, and that latter ATGM changed. It does not change fact that it is one factor. The main point is:

- Velocity characteristics do matter to deal against composite armour, as well as construction features which do not reflect performance against steel. ATGM is not designed to deal against steel.

- Angle matters, construction quality and explosive material, and ATGM of more than decade advancement can well have better performance than older warhead, different interaction with composite armour.
But compare to the penetartion level and cone angle, jet tip velocity and other factor give conclusion that in 1980s it was unposible to "catch up the difference" between new 125mm SC warhed and older 152mm warhed. And I would to remind that hight presicion SC went to service in second half of the 1980 when was possible to use numerical modeling based on research on nuclear weapons.
Just compare posibilites BK rounds in Soviets, or difrences betwen nex ATGMs generation. Before circa 1986-1988 it was unable to catch up the difference.
And you don't known how ast was jet tip in 1968 152mm SC, what more - You are unable to give how wast is jet tip in Cobra warhed.
So from two unknown values you automaticly generated that in Cobra must be used super speed jet. While there was used normlan ones -typical for that yers on west and east.

Kobra stream could well have different interaction with Burlington, not steel, which you do not account.
it will have interaction whit 8-9 layers whit at least 16-18 moving plates. It's bigg difrence. What more - those layers can be separated by ceramisc and others. And wehat more -there is no evidence that Kobra warhed jest was faster then typical rest of SC warheds.

so there can be greater part of stream with faster velocity, unnafected by bulge, than of the one with cone of greater angle (tip is only part of stream).
(...)
Space is only for deformation and dispersion of affected stream elements, beyond that it does not offer significant increase in protection.
But in most NERA/NxRA, Bulging armour test it's obvious that jet tip velocity is not scalable whit greater penetration. They are other factors. More or less "dedly for Burlinghton jet velocity from Cobra warhed theory" is inconsistent whit known NERA/NxRA/Bulging armour tests. Jet can be fast aven after passed double layer (not even mentioned about typical 7-9 layers as in known Burlinghton moddels) but it still is not scalable whit greater penetration.

The position is that Kobra can have different characteristics than test warhead, and different interaction.
It's obvious, but the questions are:
a) Is Kobra warhed quality mucht better in penetration mehanism then 152mm SC warhed?
b) it's obvius that 1975 Kobra warhed can't be better then 7 yers erlier mucht bigger 152mm SC test warhed, after that we have in half of the 1980s next warhed - so question is only about this warhed from half of the 1980s. Becouse erlier (1975) just must be whorse.
c) how 7-9 lauers of the Burlinghton armour responde on jet. IMHO without any problem becouse there is no evidence that warhed from circa 1985 have some smart solutions to overpass ERA/others. It has precursor and it was enought in most cases.

Neither there is evidence that Burlington could protect against Kobra, or for the opposite.
They are:
a) known erly Burlinghton performacens (ability to windstand sevral 152mm SC)
b) AGDUS developers where sure that frontal turret hit by TOW-2A and HOT-2 will not destroyed tank, or even heavy damage and those 150mm SC warhed just most be slighty better then 125mm SC warhed from simmilar years...
c) life test from 1991 when those M1A1 survive frontall hit by AGM-114

The last but not least:

d) The 152mm SC tests against Burlinghton armour where made in:
july 1970
in 1975

So in case the last test we have the same year as Kobra came to servise, but 152mm diameter not, 125mm.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

And tested 152mm SC in 1975 was equivalent of the expected level of the threats in 1980s. (in ATGMs not GLATGMs)

militarysta

The claim about Soviet army being unable to interact forces with support means, aviation, artillery, infantry, as well as regimental air defense (Tunguska, Tor..) is very ignorant.
Ant Soviet/Russian army was able in Chechenia first war? No. In second war? No. In Georgia war? Again no.

In theory Soviets forces trained sucht action. In reality they where unable. Cooperation whit air assult, artilery, etc was posible only to FEBA area, after that - impossible. And serious problems in 1994-1995, 1999, 2008 agains really weak enemy (and whit full air domination, unlimited artilery support, etc) only cleraly shown this what was obvious erlyier.
Possible support was able only when Soviet/Russian army had attacked previous well known position after weeks of prepering, or on micro-level - tank platoon. It's looks not wery good acually.

Leo-2 in has only 15 main rounds, T-72 22, T-80 29, it is more than notable (...) The reason why Leo-2 (and not rest of NATO tanks) was such poor support, was because of low capacity of 15 main rounds and at same time need to act as anti-armour weapon in defensive doctrine.
And M1 had 17 rounds, and? 12 Sabots and 5x HEAT
Both: Leo-2 and M1 don't carry HE-FRAG only AT munition couse act as anti-armour weapon in highly maneuver but defensive action.
It was not neccery in opinion M1 and Leo-2 developers. And both have simmilar first use load of the ammo (15 and 17 rounds).

And in fact carry of AT munition was notable higher then typical carry of autoloader in T-72.

Further, these 15 rounds are insufficient for irregular warfare,
Give me ONE evidence that 15 round is not enought in irregular warfare.
Give me sucht tactisc situation :)
Fight in Al Falujach or in A-stan is not using T-72B as mobile artielry who is firing villages without recognize targets (Komsomolskoje when T-72B where shootin from "application" in to houses. )

Leo-2 will not do that in combat as turret must be rotated, engagement broken, and vehicle is left vulnerable with lenghty reload. T-72 or T-80 will not need to perform manual loading as frequently because they have greater capacity of ready ammunition.
Still Leo-2 takes notable more AT munition then caroussel in T-72 :) So in T-72 it will be ended faster.
And fater use sucht rounds T-72 is defenceless couse 20-25min neede time to reload autoloader.
In Leo-2 it's takes <3min (under 3minutes).

It will do shit against tandem RPG and it's main warhead.
And that "statsment" is based on what acually? :rofl:

About blast pressure, you continue to ignore:

"Paradoxically, as the threat of fragment and burn injuries lessens, effect of blast and other ancillary effects of armor penetration becomes more significant.
Many Israeli armor casualties in the 1967 War were inside armored vehicles that were penetrated by antitank guided missiles (ATGMs) equipped with shaped-charge warheads (see Chapter One). These soldiers suffered from respiratory failure and extensive (but superficial) burns, a combination of symptoms that became known as the ATGM Syndrome.
The pulmonary component was attributed to a combination of PBI and toxic-fume inhalation."
And you are taking infos from 1967 when where was unable to mesure blast effect, or quantifiacted it. They suspected some blast effect but they havent posibilities to accurate mesure them, or even quantificated into scalable research results. So they made assumpsions about blast effect based on non existing good enought research methods.
And only this "state of the art" is present in yours "source" about 1967 in this time.

What more important - in 1967 It was common practice to had open hatches -now it's clerly observe in reserches that open hatches coud serious strengthen of the blast effect.
hole made in armour by something thats a reson why blast effect is serious thread in EFP penetration case, medium in APFSDS penetration and almoust not relevant minor problem in case of the SC perforation. While EFP can made 20cm diameter hole in armour, APFSDS circa 5-10cm then SC jet ussaly made between 5 and 25mm hole in armour. And blast can be taken only from sucht diameter combined whit mass of residual smth. EFP have big mass residual, APFSDS too, SC jet - very very small mass trought very small dimaeter of hole in armour. Extarnal blast cant be transfered by sucht small hole (5-15mm) into tank. That reson why overpressure almoust non existing and blastis minnor problem in SC behind armour effect.
Ударная волна НЕ МОЖЕТ проникнуть за толстобронную преграду через отверстие, пробитое кумулятивной струей, потому что диаметр такого отверстия ничтожен, какого-либо значимого импульса через него передать невозможно. Соответственно, не может создаваться избыточное давление внутри бронеобъекта.
Open hatches (as in 1967 war, and Yom kippur ) resulting in an additional hazard,and appearance overpressure in tank:

Механизм формирования ударной волны при подрыве заряда ВВ на поверхностях отличается тем, что дополнительно к основной ударной волне формируется отражённая от поверхности ударная волна, совмещающаяся с основной. При этом давление в совмещённом фронте ударной волны в некоторых случаях почти удваивается. Например, при подрыве на стальной поверхности давление на фронте ударной волны составит 1,8-1,9 по сравнению с детонацией такого же заряда в воздухе[9]. Именно такой эффект происходит при детонации кумулятивных зарядов противотанковых средств на броне танков и другой техники.(...)

Рис. 4. Пример зоны поражения фугасным действием кумулятивного боеприпаса приведённой массой 2 кг при попадании в центр правой боковой проекции башни. Красным цветом показана зона летального поражения, жёлтым – зона травматического поражения. Расчёт проведён согласно общепринятой методике[11] (без учёта эффектов затекания ударной волны в проёмы люков)
Ð’ силу небольших габаритов танков и других бронеобъектов, а также детонации кумулятивных зарядов на поверхности брони, фугасное действие на экипаж в случае ОТКРЫТЫХ ЛЮКОВ машины обеспечивается сравнительно небольшими зарядами кумулятивных боеприпасов. Например, при попадании в центр бортовой проекции башни танка путь ударной волны от точки детонации до проёма люка составит около метра, при попадании в лобовую часть башни менее 2 м, в кормовую часть – менее метра. Ð’ случае попадания кумулятивной струи в элементы динамической защиты возникают вторичные детонационные и ударные волны, способные нанести дополнительные повреждения экипажу через проёмы открытых люков.

Таким образом, теория не подтверждает гипотезу об уничтожающем действии избыточного давления кумулятивного боеприпаса внутри танка. Ударная волна кумулятивного боеприпаса образуется при взрыве заряда ВВ и может проникнуть внутрь танка только через отверстия люков. Поэтому люки СЛЕДУЕТ ДЕРЖАТЬ ЗАКРЫТЫМИ. Кто этого не делает, рискует получить сильную контузию, а то и погибнуть от фугасного действия при подрыве кумулятивного заряда.
More or les - SC warhed detonation and blast outside armour cant get in to the vehicle by hole in armour cause it's to small (5-25mm) - so only blast and pressure can be takes from jet tip passing the armour -grate speed but very small mass. Thats the reson why there is no obverpressure and blast as dadly facotrs in SC behind armour effect. They are minnor problems.
In case when hatches are open the outside blast prassure penetrates into the center of the vehicle by this open hatches and made serious overpressure and damages.
In 1967 and 1973 it was common practise, now it's known thats is shoud be forbiden. This plus inability to mesure blast effect, or quantifiacted it and we have next poor source, in fact now (whit the present state of knowledge) its disinformation.

Damian

And M1 had 17 rounds, and? 12 Sabots and 5x HEAT
Both: Leo-2 and M1 don't carry HE-FRAG only AT munition couse act as anti-armour weapon in highly maneuver but defensive action.
It was not neccery in opinion M1 and Leo-2 developers. And both have simmilar first use load of the ammo (15 and 17 rounds).
Not exactly.

M1 series have 5 types of ammo racks in ammunition magazines.

The 105mm variants hold 22 rounds in ready rack and semi-ready rack.
120mm variants have 3 types of ammo racks, original one that holded 17 rounds in ready and semi-ready racks, newer variant from 1990's that holds 18 in ready and semi-ready and newest ammo rack type that holds also 18 in ready and semi-ready but provides better protection to each individual round.

Also even if not desired and difficult, it is possible to use ammunition directly from semi-ready rack without realoding ammunition to ready rack, I confirmed this talking with two US Army M1 crew members.

militarysta

And again KO against "dedly blast" theory inside tank after SC perforation.

Chapter 2
WEAPONS EFFECTS
Contributing Authors
Sidney B. Brevard, MD, MPH, FACS, COL, US Air Force
Howard Champion, MD, FRCS, FACS
Dan Katz, MD
Easy to find in google. Many about blast, interesting part about IED, abut blast from bombs, IED, mines, etc. Good photos.

chapter:
Devices ---> Shaped-Charge

I quote this:
Antitank Munitions
In Iraq, there has been a trend away from small bombs (e.g., concealed in containers such as soft drink cans)
to large rocket propellant or shaped-charges with armor-piercing capability.
Heavily armored vehicles are
less susceptible to smaller, home-made roadside IEDs, and newer vehicle designs such as the MRAP provide
enhanced protection to occupants from even larger IEDs. Antitank munitions are categorized as: (1) shaped-
charges; (2) kinetic energy rounds; and (3) antitank landmines.
Shaped-Charge
Shaped-charges have various degrees of armor-piercing capability (Fig. 11). High-explosive antitank (HEAT)
rounds are composed of explosive charges packed around a reverse cone (this is the concept behind the
anti-armor warhead of an RPG) (Fig. 12). If the charge is able to defeat the armor of the vehicle, injury
to the occupants occurs via two methods. The initial potentially catastrophic injuries (including burns) are
caused by the jet of the shaped-charge after it penetrates the vehicle's armor. Next, as the weapon strikes
the armor, small pieces of irregularly shaped debris (spall) break away from the interior of the vehicle and
are propelled into the occupants.
No single word about blast effect in case SC behind armour effect. Think why.

A commonly used shaped-charge variant is the explosively formed projectile (EFP) (Figs. 13 and 14). This
IED variant consists of a cylindrical casing, such as a metal pipe. The side facing the target is closed with a
concave-shaped metal plate facing inward, and the explosive charge is placed behind the metal plate.
On
detonation, the concave plate is propelled out of the casing, becoming a high-speed aerodynamic penetrator
(velocity can exceed 1,500 m/sec). This bullet or rod-shaped projectile easily pierces vehicle armor, causing
catastrophic damage to vehicle occupants and other personnel in its path.
Weapons Effects
The increased use and effects of EFPs are illustrated in a review of IED injuries seen in a British field
hospital in 2006.
All casualties had injuries from roadside bombs directed at Coalition vehicles. Almost
all (91 percent) of the explosions were caused by an EFP, and EFPs were responsible for all deaths. Main
findings included the following:

Most casualties (87 percent in survivors and nonsurvivors) had extremity injuries

Most casualties had injuries to several regions of the body (e.g., 2.6 mean areas injured in survivors
and 4.7 in nonsurvivors)

All casualties had open wounds

More than half of casualties (53 percent) had fractures

There was little primary blast injury; only two casualties were thought to have died directly from a
primary blast mechanism (blast lung)

Only 15 percent of casualties had burns; no burns covered more than five percent total body surface
area (TBSA)

Approximately half of the survivors required immediate operative intervention at the field hospital

|
Weapons Effects
Explosively formed projectiles (EFPs) generate "all or nothing" wounding patterns whereby casualties
experience either catastrophic injuries or relatively minor wounds.
Significant EFP attacks cause multiple
injuries in each survivor, including a high incidence of open wounds, extremity injuries, and fractures.
Kinetic Energy Rounds
Kinetic energy rounds are shaped like darts and are made from hard metals such as depleted uranium. Like
shaped-charges, these weapons inflict damage by direct penetration of the vehicle or by generating spall.
Warfighters with wounds caused by depleted uranium fragments should undergo standard wound care.
Although there is a potential long-term risk from chronic exposure to depleted uranium, it does not justify
extensive procedures to remove the fragments.
Antitank Landmines
Antitank landmines are being modified and used as buried IEDs in OEF and OIF. Often, as described
previously, more than one mine will be linked together to enhance the level of destruction.
Blast effect and overpressure is mentioned only in IED cases and EFP penetration. In SC perforation - no single mentioned. Meybe becouse it's fresh sources (2012) and research.

oh, I forgot, this chapter 2 and part about SC is part of the:
Lessons Learned from OEF and OIF Combat Casualty Care
Edited by
Eric Savitsky, MD
Colonel Brian Eastridge, MD
Pelagique, LLC
Los Angeles, California
University of California at Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
Office of The Surgeon General
United States Army, Falls Church, Virginia
AMEDD Center & School
Fort Sam Houston, Texas
Borden Institute
Fort Detrick, Maryland

Weapons Effects | iii
Office of The Surgeon General
United States Army
Falls Church, Virginia
AMEDD Center & School
Fort Sam Houston, Texas
Borden Institute
Fort Detrick, Maryland
written for:
Lessons Learned from OEF and OIF
Combat Casualty Care
Pub
lished by the
Office of the Surgeon General
Department of the Army, United States of America

Editor in Chief
Martha K. Lenhart, MD, PhD
Colonel, MC, US Army
Director, Borden Institute
Assistant Professor of Surgery
F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
Medical Content Editor
Eric Savitsky, MD
UCLA Professor of Emergency Medicine/Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Executive Director, UCLA Center for International Medicine
Director, UCLA EMC Trauma Services and Education
Military Editor
Brian Eastridge, MD, FACS
Colonel, MC, US Army
Trauma and Surgical Critical Care
Director, Joint Trauma System Program
Trauma Consultant, US Army Surgeon General

No single word about blast effect in case SC behind armour effect. Becouse it's not relevant, minor in that case.

Last edited:

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
USSR was developing Hovercraft Tanks for the Soviet Army during the 1930's. It was an exotic concept where speed and amphibious capabilities were its major advantages. At that time the technology was not that advanced enough so the project was shut down. Is it possible to develop this kind of tank in this age?

See Wikipedia Hovercraft Tank

Damian

USSR was developing Hovercraft Tanks for the Soviet Army during the 1930's. It was an exotic concept where speed and amphibious capabilities were its major advantages. At that time the technology was not that advanced enough so the project was shut down. Is it possible to develop this kind of tank in this age?

See Wikipedia Hovercraft Tank
Useless idea, such vehicle would have paper armor...

hest

AGDUS was developed to made normal (close to the reality as it's possible) fight on field. And damage model is realistic as it's possible. The only simplifiaction is palcment of laser indicators - to many numbers is to heavy to place on tank. So there is some simplifiaction about areas (for example - gun mantled mask is not excluded). But generally tank have sevral zones and there is 7 class of thread.
It is a representation of engagement, flying path and hit, with different threat levels, but it is by no means a measure to estimate actual penetration or composite armour. The main objective, to train tank crew for manouver and exposure of "safe" front, and for gunner, missile operator to aim at more vulnerable zone when range allows it, programmer made it that way. In view of that, estimating actual protection or missile weapon performance is nosense.

Even with that, I do not see any strong protection of main armour with that hull vulnerability.

Bla bla bla
You had version: M1A1HA, AGM-114 was used in one version in ODS. Caliber of SC is known - 170mm, perforation is calimed as bigger then 1100mm RHA for sucht big SC. Front turret hit, circa 70cm depth penetration. No more details.
Sources was given sevral times here - those acciden is mentioned quite offen in literature, but I had few more details from polish soilders whos wents to For Knox and Bennig for trening at M1. It was typical "exchange in order to acquire experience" when sevral polish NCOs went to USA to known M1 Tank and compare it whit Leo-2A4 used in Polish Army. Of course for you it will be "not enought" "funny source" "misinforamtion" etc. For my those guys haven't resons to lie, and if in 1968 Burlinghton windstand 711mm RHA 152mm SC co in 1991 it's really posible that armour windstand 170mm SC whit >1100mm RHA penetration.
You are the "quack" with such claims :) .

There are different versions of Hellfire warhead

- Basic Hellfire
- Interim Hellfire, improved warhead, small precursor
- Optimised Hellfire, or Hellfire II, improved tandem warhead design.

The first two had innefective performance against latter armour. In Desert Storm only basic Hellfire was available http://www.gao.gov/assets/220/215705.pdf
This was plain monoblock design which started production in 1982 and was seen as innefective against latter armour, no talk about any "1000 mm" because that value is for the third, tandem design produced in 1992. http://www.gao.gov/assets/220/214851.pdf it was outdated missile against M1HA and it's composite armour deployed in 1989 or 1990.

But compare to the penetartion level and cone angle, jet tip velocity and other factor give conclusion that in 1980s it was unposible to "catch up the difference" between new 125mm SC warhed and older 152mm warhed. And I would to remind that hight presicion SC went to service in second half of the 1980 when was possible to use numerical modeling based on research on nuclear weapons.
Just compare posibilites BK rounds in Soviets, or difrences betwen nex ATGMs generation. Before circa 1986-1988 it was unable to catch up the difference.
And you don't known how ast was jet tip in 1968 152mm SC, what more - You are unable to give how wast is jet tip in Cobra warhed.
So from two unknown values you automaticly generated that in Cobra must be used super speed jet. While there was used normlan ones -typical for that yers on west and east.
The characteristics do matter, depending on design. You know, the penetration of steel is increased in proportional, almost linear way to caliber (from given construction, explosive..) because the velocity gradient to diameter and elongation is maintained. You ignore howewer, the fact that relation in penetration to caliber of that 152 mm warhead, to Kobra, is worse, reflects less effective design, and different stream elongation and velocity characteristics which reflect in interaction with semi-active armour. For example, not significant increase in steel mm penetration, but increased energy which increases deformation velocity, while at same time having the stream lower velocity characteristics.

Nobody says Kobra is "super design", what is being said, is that that 152 mm warhead stream characteristics, do not have to correspond to Kobra, neither does it's interaction with Burlington, so saying Burlington must protect against it is empty claim, the same applies to the opposite, of course, but there well could be such possibility.

Further, warhead quality as well as of explosive did improve in Kobra, even between it's different versions as was shown (improvement in warhead material, and explosive material).

it will have interaction whit 8-9 layers whit at least 16-18 moving plates. It's bigg difrence. What more - those layers can be separated by ceramisc and others. And wehat more -there is no evidence that Kobra warhed jest was faster then typical rest of SC warheds.
I have explained the interaction, and shown the relation against multiple bulging plates, where penetration is accounted as the summ of metallic plate thickness plus the penetration in back plate, and the most important factor, is the velocity of the stream elements and the velocity of the deformantion, the problem is maintained, that is the reason why bulging plates are never protection by themselves, but need good back plate.

Burlington design was not anything special or uknown for it's time, being thin bulging plate mechanism now well described. In fact what did I describe is more advanced construction with better understanding (of decades later, and was tested against the real 125 mm warheads Burlington tried to protect against).

But in most NERA/NxRA, Bulging armour test it's obvious that jet tip velocity is not scalable whit greater penetration. They are other factors. More or less "dedly for Burlinghton jet velocity from Cobra warhed theory" is inconsistent whit known NERA/NxRA/Bulging armour tests. Jet can be fast aven after passed double layer (not even mentioned about typical 7-9 layers as in known Burlinghton moddels) but it still is not scalable whit greater penetration.
The factor for whole array, including back plate, is velocity gradient in relation to the energy which causes deformation, as was shown in graphic. If you have worse relation between diameter and velocity gradient but similar penetration, as could be a less effective, but greater caliber warhead, it will reflect in bigger effectiveness of composite armour. You do not see the consequence, of having lower warhead efficiency, but making it up with caliber as was done in 1968.

It's obvious, but the questions are:
a) Is Kobra warhed quality mucht better in penetration mehanism then 152mm SC warhed?
b) it's obvius that 1975 Kobra warhed can't be better then 7 yers erlier mucht bigger 152mm SC test warhed, after that we have in half of the 1980s next warhed - so question is only about this warhed from half of the 1980s. Becouse erlier (1975) just must be whorse.
c) how 7-9 lauers of the Burlinghton armour responde on jet. IMHO without any problem becouse there is no evidence that warhed from circa 1985 have some smart solutions to overpass ERA/others. It has precursor and it was enought in most cases.
a) Relation between diameter and penetration is better in Kobra and worse in that 152 mm, thus relation between velocity gradient and diameter is different, this, as explained with armour working mechanism, has it's consequence.
b) 1 It is more efficient, because of already shown calliber effectiveness. 2 Kobra warhead was also improved in different versions with material and explosive
c) It was explained, depending on stream diameter and velocity of the elements, it can have improved effectiveness, relative. It can be due to inherent design, but also to intention of the designers, after improved knowledge of armour and weapon, which optimise the design, explosive energy, cone angle, precursor warhead (important against semi-active armour, plates, glass, composite and ERA).

Damian

Burlington design was not anything special or uknown for it's time, being thin bulging plate mechanism now well described. In fact what did I describe is more advanced construction with better understanding (of decades later, and was tested against the real 125 mm warheads Burlington tried to protect against).
Oh yeah, right... it was that knowledge that Burlington is a ceramics encased in honeycomb structure? :)

And still you do not understand that Burlington is only a codename for R&D program focused on developing new types of protection, so all in all, you don't know anything about Burlington, neither did anyone in Soviet Union.

Burlington = several different types of armor in 1960's and 1970's, and further development in 1980's.

hest

And again KO against "dedly blast" theory inside tank after SC perforation.

If the charge is able to defeat the armor of the vehicle, injury
to the occupants occurs via two methods. The initial potentially catastrophic injuries (including burns) are
caused by the jet of the shaped-charge after it penetrates the vehicle's armor. Next, as the weapon strikes
the armor, small pieces of irregularly shaped debris (spall) break away from the interior of the vehicle and
are propelled into the occupants.
This are the main effects which overlap the rest, there is no contradiction. In the other document it was specifically stated, that as penetration power is reduced, so does the main effect, the fragments, and additional consequences, including overpressure blast, gain importance.

A commonly used shaped-charge variant is the explosively formed projectile (EFP) (Figs. 13 and 14). This
IED variant consists of a cylindrical casing, such as a metal pipe. The side facing the target is closed with a
concave-shaped metal plate facing inward, and the explosive charge is placed behind the metal plate.
On
detonation, the concave plate is propelled out of the casing, becoming a high-speed aerodynamic penetrator
(velocity can exceed 1,500 m/sec). This bullet or rod-shaped projectile easily pierces vehicle armor, causing
catastrophic damage to vehicle occupants and other personnel in its path.
This is about IED and not cumulative stream.

More or les - SC warhed detonation and blast outside armour cant get in to the vehicle by hole in armour cause it's to small (5-25mm) - so only blast and pressure can be takes from jet tip passing the armour -grate speed but very small mass. Thats the reson why there is no obverpressure and blast as dadly facotrs in SC behind armour effect. They are minnor problems.
There is no contradiction. The effect is increased with open hatch, howewer the damage, as describe, "serious or nothing" is because the effect is local, in proximity of the stream, from it, danger is reduced, and due to this it is also more diffcult to detect general pressure increase in all volume of vehicle: Translate

В качестве подопытных животных были использованы кролики. При этом они помещались в мешки и размещались на рабочих местах экипажа. Крепление этих мешков было чисто «условное», то есть, при наличии ударной волны их обязательно бы сорвало с мест крепления. Само значение повышения давления (в цифровом выражении) не фиксировалось.

- фактов срыва мешков с рабочих мест экипажа не зафиксировано;
- при прохождении струи ближе 80 сантиметров от подопытных кроликов наблюдалось разрушение барабанных перепонок.
Вывод: кумулятивная струя может поразить экипаж избыточным давлением при прохождении в опасной близости от мест его расположения.»
при проникновении в бронеобъект кумулятивная струя создает впереди себя избыточное давление, уплотняя воздух по типу наличия зоны повышенного давления на передней кромке крыла реактивного самолета;

And much depends on conditions, armour as well as angle of incidence, as said http://s002.radikal.ru/i197/1103/0e/8302dc3788a3.jpg

Oh yeah, right... it was that knowledge that Burlington is a ceramics encased in honeycomb structure?

And still you do not understand that Burlington is only a codename for R&D program focused on developing new types of protection, so all in all, you don't know anything about Burlington, neither did anyone in Soviet Union.

Burlington = several different types of armor in 1960's and 1970's, and further development in 1980's
The Burlington we are talking about is the one of 1968 as improvement of Chieftain, it is based on layered structure. I don't know where have you seen composite. http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/andrei_bt/18425682/73569/73569_original.jpg

Last edited:

Damian

The Burlington we are talking about is the one of 1968 as improvement of Chieftain, it is based on layered structure. I don't know where have you seen composite. http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/andre...9_original.jpg
In 1968 there were at least several different configurations, and there was further development, talking only about a single variant as upgrade for Chieftain is not reasonable to say it gently.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles