Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Damian

This is drawing for basic M1 Abrams. There are some mistakes so Militarysta fter weekend will post version with corrections. Later maybe more drawings for M1A1/M1A2 where armor is thicker will be done, but good photos need to be found to do so.

Damian

This is interim drawing for M1A1/M1A2, also explaining where are placed 4 from 6 fuel tanks in M1 series.

This is IMHO most accurate drawing showing Arjun Mk1 composite armor placement. I will later try to add T-90S and T-80UD (Pakistan).

If someone have any suggestions how to make it more accurate, please just say. :)

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

This is IMHO most accurate drawing showing Arjun Mk1 composite armor placement. I will later try to add T-90S and T-80UD (Pakistan).

If someone have any suggestions how to make it more accurate, please just say. :)
Left module is larger in length same as the right one, Front Side protection over chassis is very thick composite can be..

Inner layer is 7-8cam thick, Outer Layer nearly 14cm thick..

Damian

Left module is larger in length same as the right one,
How much, how it interfere with internal components of vehicle?

Front Side protection over chassis is very thick composite can be..
It is allready very thick on my drawing, copy the image and in paint draw a strict line through glacis plate that I marked, it's LOS thickness will be very big. I doubt it is thicker, if yes then how in Your opinion hull ammunition rack would fit there? It is doubtfull that it is thicker simply because many internal components would not fit inside.

You see, it is even possible that on my drawing glacis plate is too thick compared to photo showing height and placement of glacis plate. Also open hatch on that upper photo shows glacis plate thickness in the driver hatch area.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
How much, how it interfere with internal components of vehicle?

It is allready very thick on my drawing, copy the image and in paint draw a strict line through glacis plate that I marked, it's LOS thickness will be very big. I doubt it is thicker, if yes then how in Your opinion hull ammunition rack would fit there? It is doubtfull that it is thicker simply because many internal components would not fit inside.

You see, it is even possible that on my drawing glacis plate is too thick compared to photo showing height and placement of glacis plate. Also open hatch on that upper photo shows glacis plate thickness in the driver hatch area.

There is a gunner periscope, from there to straight down..

militarysta

Ok, last versions about M1 and Leo2A0-A4:

Leopard2A4 LOS armour thickness:

M1 Abrams LOS armour thickness:

I'll hope that this images will be helpfull and clarify many doubts.

methos

Country flag
The heavy side skirts are not made of RHA, at least the Abrams' ones include rubber.

Damian

From what I have seen M1 side skirts are some sort of layered construction with something between steel outerplates that is not rubber. It's some sort of composite.

Leclerc side skirts are sort of spaced armor from what can be seen on photos.

Damian

There is a gunner periscope, from there to straight down..

I think You made wrong messure of side skirts. The only part that is actuall side skirt is that 140mm thick part, that 70-80mm thick part is just mudflap. ;)

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I think You made wrong messure of side skirts. The only part that is actuall side skirt is that 140mm thick part, that 70-80mm thick part is just mudflap. ;)
:frusty:
140 mm is tin plate. you have no idea about arjun tank.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Its metal, Pure metal there is no sign of Rubber like on T-72 / 90s .. :)

Damian

140 mm is tin plate. you have no idea about arjun tank.
Yeah right... it is a side skirt, how do expect it should be thick and how much weight it should add eh? Basic side hull armor is even thinner, it ranges from 30mm to 80mm max in all modern tanks.

You know, there is phrase in my country : don't teach father how to make children.

140mm of Arjun side skirt is similiar if not the same to Leopard 2 side skirt thickness.

Its metal, Pure metal there is no sign of Rubber like on T-72 / 90s ..
I'am not saying anything about non ballistic side skirt that is very thin, 10mm perhaps?

It is just on all tanks, that there is frontal section of side skirts called ballistic, and there are mid to rear section of so called non ballistic skirts made from very thin metal or rubber, or both.

we (means me and other member here) actually measure it with arjun.
Show us the photos then. You claims something, try to proove it.

Damian

Leclerc glacis plate armor design, made by Leclerc tank crew member, from TankNet forums.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Yeah right... it is a side skirt, how do expect it should be thick and how much weight it should add eh? Basic side hull armor is even thinner, it ranges from 30mm to 80mm max in all modern tanks.

You know, there is phrase in my country : don't teach father how to make children.

140mm of Arjun side skirt is similiar if not the same to Leopard 2 side skirt thickness.

I'am not saying anything about non ballistic side skirt that is very thin, 10mm perhaps?

It is just on all tanks, that there is frontal section of side skirts called ballistic, and there are mid to rear section of so called non ballistic skirts made from very thin metal or rubber, or both.

Show us the photos then. You claims something, try to proove it.

Shekh Chilli Ki Aulad Pehle Dahi Jamana Sekh Pher Bachche Jamayi
(singh is king, movie)

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Damian,

You are talking with someone Was there ( Me & Saya Sir ), looking it, inspecting it and have a 30cm scale with me right now, I am correct with my given data and what i told, Is it different from something which i am not getting ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles