Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Damian

Hmmm, strange, UVZ designers still dod not fully cover glacis plate with ERA modules, look at upper part of glacis.

plugwater

September 8-11, will be held in Nizhny Tagil VIII International exhibition of arms. Its main novelty will be the premiere deeply modernized tank T-90S. It was created under the development activities (R & D) "Break 2".

New armor
E is the machine - not just another lineup upgrade T-90 tank. It seems that soon we will see really a breakthrough model. Initially, the tank was known as the T-90M . According to the latest information, it will change its name and will be presented as T-90MS . Option for the Russian army seems to be called T-90MA . Moreover, it will be a tank and a proper name (as of this writing it is still unknown). Earlier versions were offered - "Warrior," "breakthrough," "Tyrannosaurus" and "Tagil."
According to the latest information, the tank has an entirely new tower with enhanced protection frontal projection, roof and sides. Recycled again and filling in a multilayer structure of the tank armor.
Loeb case, a tower, walls covered with the new ERA "Relict" . It has an improved ability to withstand modern sabot projectiles and ammunition cumulative.
In general, the tank can withstand almost any current and future projectiles and antitank weapons. And he, unlike the previous version of the T-90, well protected and with the boards, and from the stern. The level of protection of the new tank exceeds any competitor and give in, except that only an experienced "Object 195" , and not born yet , "Armata" . It is also important that the sharp increase in vehicle weight defense grew by less than 2 tons . According to the "Academy", he is just over 48 tons .
Armament and Control System
T ank has improved warning system laser irradiation. It covers the entire range of modern range finders and target acquisition channels. The T-90MS new fire control system "Kalina" , which is no worse than the best world samples. In particular, the implemented automatic tracking of targets. The gunner has a combined sight with thermal vision, laser and optical channels . The commander has a panoramic multi-channel scope.
Equipped with a tank and a single automated control system at the tactical level . With it, he is able to exchange information and receive indication from other machines Battalion. There is also a satellite navigation system GLONASS-GPS and modern means of communication.
The new tank can be fitted with 125 mm smoothbore gun of the same modification that is installed on the predecessor. The variant of its replacement by a new 125 mm gun high power. His ammunition is 40 rounds and placed in a secure autoloader and zabashennom department, where in case of explosion hazard to the crew below. T-90MS has a new, bang up to 1130 horsepower engine, an electronic automatic gear change and motion control using the steering wheel.
The question of price
M inoborony already introduced a number of additional requirements on the machine, which is why it is finalized. On UVZ hope that the new tank will be able to see the troops in a year and a half. It will happen, of course, if the parties agree on prices. It is this machine has caused outrage at the time commander Army Gen. Postnikov its high cost.

Gur Khan attacks!: «Ð¢Ð¸Ñ€Ð°Ð½Ð½Ð¾Ð·Ð°Ð²Ñ€» идет на «ÐŸÑ€Ð¾Ñ€Ñ‹Ð²»

p2prada

Hmmm, strange, UVZ designers still dod not fully cover glacis plate with ERA modules, look at upper part of glacis.
In my opinion the ERA is under the steel panels on the glacis. I have seen a Russian video 2 years ago which shows how they place the ERA plates and cover it up with steel plates for better use of the armour. Had posted this video on DFI.

p2prada

In my discussions with Archer on the Arjun thread, when I mentioned the new version of the T-90 will be unveiled in September this year, he said, "Where is it?" in a sarcastic way. Funny how Putin squashed his retort in a second.

Anyway, the above article claims enhanced frontal armour and 40 rounds in the autoloader, killer set up.

p2prada

The T-90MS designation indicates the tank is meant for India. That and the Sardarji indicates the tank is coming here for sure. Cool.

p2prada

This would mean less orders for arjun mk2 too!!
Only 124 have been ordered as of today. The 248 mentioned by DRDO chief is from possible orders that may happen once the MK2 has been fully tested.

It is something like IAF's 20 MK2 orders and a potential orders of 83 more. The 248 are potential orders. Depending on how FMBT has progressed, the Arjun orders may increase or decrease.

The army knew T-90MS was coming. So, their decisions for Arjun Mk2 order will already have considered this.

Damian

In my opinion the ERA is under the steel panels on the glacis. I have seen a Russian video 2 years ago which shows how they place the ERA plates and cover it up with steel plates for better use of the armour. Had posted this video on DFI.
No no, You did not understand. I know where ERA is placed, I mean that upper part of glacis is not covered by ERA, it is different to Ukrainian solutions where whole glacis is covered by ERA.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/9443/50824524.jpg

Firts tank is Ukrainian, second Russian, we can see that in Ukrainian designs ERA cover is better, of course in T-90MS turret cover is as good as in Ukrainian designs, but still upper part of glacis is not covered by ERA.

The T-90MS designation indicates the tank is meant for India.
No, T-90MS means something different, it means - M - Modernized, S - For Export.

Russian version will be designated T-90M.

So T-90MS can be purchased by India and any other country with deep enough pocket.

By the way, alternative designation system can be T-90AM for Russian Army and T-90SM for export.

Attachments

Last edited:

Damian

I made some drawing, basing on Russian and Ukrainian ERA protection I made simple drawing showing how similiar kit can be designed for wester type designs.

Color explanation:

Red - Front turret and hull composite armor.
Blue/Green - Side turret composite armor.
Black - ERA/Composite modules/cassettes.
Brown - Slat armor.

Only question is how much heavier such vehicle would be.

Global Defence

Articles