Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Damian

Anyone remember this pic from 2009-2010? Back then it was claimed that this is Type-99A2 turret, but it doesn't look like it and none of the current Chinese tanks have RCWS installed... perhaps something for export. It reminds me of that one tank from way back in Norinco ad.

Edit here is the older pic.
It is ZTZ-99A2 tank turret, it only seems that Chinese tested this turret on different tank chassis, probably also with intentions for exports.

Dazzler

It is ZTZ-99A2 tank turret, it only seems that Chinese tested this turret on different tank chassis, probably also with intentions for exports.
turret was tested on two chassis, standard mbt 2000 chassis, type-99 chassis, finally selected the mbt 2000 chassis for A2 version.
However, type-99 was not intended for exports, rather mbt 2000/ vt-1a and recently unveiled mbt 3000.

type-99 scheme

rare pic of a t-80U being examined by Chinese

Last edited:

Dazzler

More on type-99, turret roof cut open, layers can be seen, also the turret front composite cavity highlighted in red

front without ERA

Country flag
its composite plate, Aorak ERA has bolts around edges
Both seems ERA (welded and bolted) no point in having such thing composite plate-- also I don't understand what good such thin composite filling would do-

Dazzler

Both seems ERA (welded and bolted) no point in having such thing composite plate-- also I don't understand what good such thin composite filling would do-
Its for peace time, Aorak ERA has a shelf life of ten years so they dont fit it unless it is required.

Damian

By the way @Damian,is it even possible without the ammunition container being isolated by a sliding blast door like what has been illustrated in this poster??
Yes it is, and must be, other wise loading process would be longer and more complex. Loader would have to open sliding blast door, then open container, take out round, load in to gun, close container and then close sliding door.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blood+

Country flag
Yes it is, and must be, other wise loading process would be longer and more complex. Loader would have to open sliding blast door, then open container, take out round, load in to gun, close container and then close sliding door.
Uhh..uhh..uhh.You didn't get what I was trying to ask.Let me explain myself more clearly this time.

From to the above poster,it seems that the propelant charges in the ammunitions compartment were cooked-off and deflagerating and the resulting burning gas forced open the blow-out panels and vented out.But the Arjun turret seems to be quite unaffected.So it seemed to me that the ammo caps actually did their work.
But I wanted to ask how come those ammo caps could prevent the super heated propelant gas from coming into crew compartment??Ofcourse these ammo caps are not as sturdy as a solid blast door would be!!

Damian

You know, it is hard to make conclusions looking at single photo showing only a single stage of ammunition cook off. Ammunition cook off might be very long process, I believe that in US Military, have manual that says crew needs to stay inside a tank in case of propelant charge cook off for minimum 30 minutes before it will be safe to leave the tank.

Soviet Sniper 762

Anybody know something about the new T-99 Armata?
It's very interesting for its design, that will be the standard for the next gen. of tanks:
- automatic loader
- unnamed turret
- crew in the hull
- engine in front
- electric drive

LaVictoireEstLaVie

Quick question for Damian, do you happen to know how many Abrams tanks were deployed during the second gulf war ?

I am trying to convince someone that the only reason the Challenger 2 suffered less losses during the war was because only 120 had been deployed in a far less combat intensive zone (Basra area). I do agree that the uparmored "Telic" Challenger 2 offeres superior side hull protection compared to a typical Abrams without a TUSK kit, but that the front hull armor scheme is simply inferior. The lower glacis , even with the ROMORA-(A?) armor, was unable to cope with an RPG-29 whereas the Abrams had no major issues defeating this weapon. Feel free to correct me. Thanks !

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles