Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.4%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.8%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.2%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 60 17.6%

• Total voters

Damian

seems like a good design, very similar to TTB but dunno about the double autoloader. TTB autoloader was able to contain 44 ready rounds, which should be enough. also having 2 autoloaders increases complexity and cost, and with a Remote turret that should be kept to a minimum.
Yeah, perhaps it is good idea to minimize it to a single autoloading system.

dunno about coax position either, mounted internally like that it's probably going to be terribly difficult to reload.
There is a hatch in turret roof for it.

ERA on sides seems a bit redundant, with remote turret you can probably go for composite skirts, at least for the crew portion.
Well, You can use ERA or composite skirts, depends on your preferences.

also positions for turret drives, elevation motor and traverse.
It is simplified drawing, perhaps some day my friend will make it more detailed.

for the front hull armour, is it combined armour and fuel?
Only armor, fuel is stored in fuel tanks in side hull overtrack sponsons and in engine compartment. As you can see on drawing, there are also additional cavities for fuel tanks inside hull, between crew compartment and autoloader, and between autoloader and engine compartment.

And crew can be placed in 2+1 superposition -it allowed to made thicker crew comparment side armour.
Yes, but this can make hull actually longer, it is not that easy to be honest.

And below something that my friend describes as complete lack of any compromises when it comes to protection, this vehicle is a concept for heavy armored vehicle with 140mm or bigger main armament. Codenamed "Typhoon". ;)

Obviously this vehicle would be rather too heavy, more than 65 metric tons, perhaps even more than 70 metric tons, while the earlier proposal is much lighter, below 60 tons, probably around 50 metric tons without addon armor.

Later I should have some sort of projected specification for these projects.

Oh and BTW, here is second variant of the first project, this time however with 140mm gun.

Last edited:

Damian

And here the last project with manned turret, I believe this one is the heaviest one, as it is protected by massive composite armor, no ERA.

And again, these are only some concepts, of course based on real concepts of some design solutions, it is not some fantasy, some of design solutions like autoloaders of such kind were considered by some design bureaus.

Waffen SS

Of course they handed some M48's to ARVN when US started to withdraw from Vietnam. At that time M48 was also obsolete vehicle as US started to field M60 series.

And yes, exaggarated is performance of RPG's.
Infact M 60 never saw combat in Vietnam. Funny thing is here you say M 60 was good but when I say M 60 was answer to T 62 and T 64 and T 72 then you say it is not.

Neither I care about your stupid beliefes.

Tet offensive was defeated by US ground forces, not air support. And neither UH-1 was good in CAS, it was complete improvisation. And use of airborne forces proved to be ineffective, as well as tactic of quick search and destroy raids. If you don't control the ground, you can't win in such war.

And this was alone costed to many serviceman their life and health, mainly because they never had proper support on the ground in from of AFV's, and air support is worth nothing in jungle.
In fact UH 1 Huey had many many variants, and yes it was very good in CAS.
Bell UH-1 Iroquois variants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plus USAF had A 1 Sky Raiders, not to mention may times US used B 52 bombers for area bombing to halt NVA advanace.

If I use internet, I use only good sources like documents in form of PDF's. And Indian book about WW2, hilarious! :D
The site reference which I gave you including BR is very good, if you dont believe say it to other members, BR is Reliable Source in Wikipedia.

I give, the problem is that you are too primitive to understand them...
I am not primitive, I believe in fair comparisons, Army vs Army, not a professional army vs brunch of irregular insurgents.

You can't even insult me in a way that I would feal it.
Lesser beings does not have ability to understand when they are honoured or when they are dishonoured.

Well, US lost less lives in Iraq and Afghanistan, mainly because they have now better equipment. In Vietnam soldiers wear only flack jackets, today we have advanced individual ballistic protection. In Vietnam were used mainly lightly armored vehicles, today we use well protected, modern vehicles which provides better protection for troops inside. And we could speak about this whole day, I doubt you would comprehend.
Yeah bullet resistant vests play crucial role, but, I told you VC was better equipped than Iraqi insurgents, VC had SKS and Ak 47's which were first class in 1960's but they are not now. Plus you said various advantages we have. So it is quite clear that VC was better armed in perspective of 1960's than Iraqi insurgents in perspective of today. So what does it mean? What I said Iraqi insurgents cant compete against US infantry was true and therefore US battle assessment about Tanks in Modern combat based from Iraq war is not acceptable. So you see here I am again proved right. And you said Iraqi insurgents can compete with US infantry is false.

I do not see there destroyed tanks, what I see captured.
Yes, many were captured it again proves me right, I previously said Tanks can be captured by enemy then enemy will use it against you. Such as

As you see here Iranian T 55 Tanks during Iraq-Iran war, these Tanks were actually Iraqi but captured by Iran.

Destroyed M 84.

M60 was not the best tank in 1973. The best tanks used then were Soviet T-64's designed in 1960's, and now, T-72 was not designed to counter M60... you moron, you don't even know history of soviet tanks.

Rest of this babble talk is just... ah, I will left this without a comment, it is pointless to discuss with idiot.
Okay dude then I agree M 60 was not best, then what was West's counter weapon to match against new Soviet Tank such as T 64 and T 72? So Do you mean US had no tank comparable to T 64 and T 72 as you claim M 60 was no match against T 72 and T 64?:facepalm:

What? Can you translate this nonsense to some human language? :D
It is written in Human language. You cant understand.

You are complete idiot!

How a main gun is not effective when it is effective, it is just uneconomical to spent it's ammunition on individual soldiers. The same with automatic cannons.

Hey then we should completely elimintate airforces by such logic, they are ineffective, because mostly they use expensive bombs and missiles against single individuals.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbKT4aEhwPfHNLAm-kecvBWfN6vR7geh83GeRj3vHGfn515v-_BA

This perfectly shows your stupidity, trying to force completely idiotic idea, just because you like these flying pieces of junk.
Air force uses Bomb and Missiles not for anti-personnal use, there are various type bombs and missiles for different use. Much like various type Tank warhead. You are saying it is just uneconomical to spend main gun's ammunition on single individuals, right? But infact most targets in combat will be individual soldiers, that's why I said autocannon supported by .50 cals for infantry and ATGMs for enemy armour.

No, saying that nothing is immposible, shows that you are just a fantasy boy.

ATGM's are near end of their efficency against modern armor and protection solutions. Besides this, ATGM's are slow, easy to interpect by APS, platform from which ATGM is fired, can be much quicker destroyed by a tank round. ATGM's are mostly subsonic, while tank gun projectiles are supersonic. And automatic cannons are also less effective than big calliber tanks gun.
Yes there are some counter measures against ATGM but Russians are working on it, besides we still have unguided RPGs for which Tanks have no answer. MILAN ATGM's muzzle velocity is 200 M/S where as RPG 7's muzzle velocity is only 115 M/S.

Iraqis fired combat ammunition of different types. It was old ammunition, but only complete idiot would call it not dangerous. And yes, M1 can survive a hit from Challenger 2 gun and vice versa.
Where the heck I said it was not dangerous? Iraqis would have better result if they had proper ammunition. As for M1 vs C 2 will the M1 be battle worthy still?

No modern army is interested in light vehicles. Listen you arrogant piece of shit. Modern armies, the real armies not plastic soldiers you play with, have their own experiences from real battles, and these armies sees light vehicles as dangerous to their own forces, as they are not designed per force protection requirements, where own forces receive the best protection and survivability as possible.

And by hitting tracks, yeah right, try to hit a track from more than 500m, good luck!
That's why perhaps now they concentrate more on Attack Helicopters? Then why now militaries are decreasing their Tank number and instead increasing Attack Helicopter number? West Germany had over 2500 tanks in cold war, now they have only about 500 as active.

German and Nazi was the same at that time. Sorry Geronimo, I am not that political correctness guy.

As for bombardment, well, it did not stop Nazi war machine.
Nazisim is an idealism, should we say all WW2 Russian soldiers as Communist just because they were under Communist role? We call US soldiers through their nationality, British soldiers through their nationality then only Germans will be called through their political idea? German XX1 Type submarine which could have changed Battle of Atlantic was delayed due to bombing, plus I gave you Albert Speers and some documents all saying bombing hampered War machine, if you dont accept then dont.

Data from Iraq shows that A-10's and AH-64's destroyed minority of enemy AFV's. Majority was destroyed by coalition tanks. Besides this Iraq did not have modern air defence, If Iraq would have such AD systems like Russia, coalition losses in aircrafts would be very high.
Actually Iraq had modern air defence system, CIA inserted virus in their computers Iraqis were poorly trained, their pilots knew nothing compared to US pilots, same goes to Tankers also. Poor training was 1 of main reason Iraq lost.

The Air University 404 Page

Oh really, CAS do not cause civilian casualties? Tell this to Iraq and Afghanistan citizens wise guy.
Most causalities are indeed by suicide bombing, or by Fighter Bombers, these are not for CAS.

Unfair comparisions? :pound: Life is generally unfair kid, war is unfair, everything is unfair. And you don't even have any theory, to have theory first you need to be sentient being, not ape who just tries to look like human.
:facepalm: You are telling from Iraq war experience, let the war to happen between US-Iran(I hope not) US analysis will change.

You provided? It is funny to observe a chimp trying to be smart.

It is even more funny when you try, well there is old proverb in my country, "don't teach father how to make kids". This is exactly your behavior, you try to discuss with adults. Which is annoying.

Ok I do not have time to talk with something as useless and boring like you, there are more interesting things to do. So from now on, You are ignored little troll.
There is a proverb in my country "Jatota Garjay toto ta barshay na" meaning those who make warcry more they cant fight war according to that. Same is true for Tanks. When Tanks can give higher protection, then it is ineffective. It is waste of time to argue with you.

I told you Tanks alone cant beat infantry, Tanks are extremely vulnerable with out infantry cover and it is proved or CAS(battle of Longewala) you dont accept then dont.

My last message instead of studying Tanks read about Social theories regarding how immigration kills Native culture, and kick immigrants out of Europe, leave the war fare to us. :pray:

Damian

Infact M 60 never saw combat in Vietnam. Funny thing is here you say M 60 was good but when I say M 60 was answer to T 62 and T 64 and T 72 then you say it is not.
Where did I say that M60 seen combat in Vietnam? Are you incapable to read a simple text in english? And I said that M60 was more advanced tank than M48, simple as that. And no, M60 was not an answer to T-62, in fact T-62 was answer to the L7 gun really, not new NATO tanks, and T-64 was a revolutionary design which was designed to be best tank at that time. T-72 history is a bit more complicated, and I do not have time to lecture you about history of it's development.

I am not primitive, I believe in fair comparisons, Army vs Army, not a professional army vs brunch of irregular insurgents.
Then you are primitive, and naive. There is no such thing as being fair in real life.

Lesser beings does not have ability to understand when they are honoured or when they are dishonoured.
Nah, it is just that it is difficult for lesser being to insult me. I could feel insulted when someone like Richard Hunnicutt, Milton Friedman etc. would call me that, because these people are or rather were credible, they were great figures, scientists in their respective disciplines.

Why should I care about your insults, children like I eat on breakfest.

Yeah bullet resistant vests play crucial role, but, I told you VC was better equipped than Iraqi insurgents, VC had SKS and Ak 47's which were first class in 1960's but they are not now. Plus you said various advantages we have. So it is quite clear that VC was better armed in perspective of 1960's than Iraqi insurgents in perspective of today. So what does it mean? What I said Iraqi insurgents cant compete against US infantry was true and therefore US battle assessment about Tanks in Modern combat based from Iraq war is not acceptable. So you see here I am again proved right. And you said Iraqi insurgents can compete with US infantry is false.
You prove only how stupid you are. But you know what. Do me this pleassure and destroy your own armed forces by forcing on them your stupid ideas. And leave us, this means west and east alone, we know better how to fight wars, afterall we designed all these weapons and we know better for what we design them and how to use them.

Yes, many were captured it again proves me right, I previously said Tanks can be captured by enemy then enemy will use it against you. Such as
Islamic Republic of Iran Army T 55s

As you see here Iranian T 55 Tanks during Iraq-Iran war, these Tanks were actually Iraqi but captured by Iran.
So what?! I can capture enemy small arms, this means we should throw away small arms and use sticks? But hey sticks can also be captured by enemy.

Your "logic" is complete absurd. Soon I should stop using car because someone can steal it from me?

Jesus ----ing Christ, you are a complete moron!

Destroyed M 84.
Where? I see only damaged track, from a mine most likely.

Okay dude then I agree M 60 was not best, then what was West's counter weapon to match against new Soviet Tank such as T 64 and T 72? So Do you mean US had no tank comparable to T 64 and T 72 as you claim M 60 was no match against T 72 and T 64?
The thing is that NATO didn't had anything comparable to T-64, T-72 and T-80 up to 1979 when first Leopard 2 was fielded and 1980 when first M1 was fielded.

Yes, NATO was in disadvantage, had only obsolete tanks and weapon systems that could not match newest Soviet T tanks.

When T-64, T-72 and T-80 had composite armor in 1960's and 1970's, NATO tanks still used obsolete steel homogeneus armor.

If not nuclear weapons deterent, Soviets without a problem would conquer whole Europe, because NATO did not had anything that could reliably stop their newest tanks.

Hello in real world!

It is written in Human language. You cant understand.
No, it is not human language, afterall I don't talk with human, but with... something.

Air force uses Bomb and Missiles not for anti-personnal use, there are various type bombs and missiles for different use. Much like various type Tank warhead. You are saying it is just uneconomical to spend main gun's ammunition on single individuals, right? But infact most targets in combat will be individual soldiers, that's why I said autocannon supported by .50 cals for infantry and ATGMs for enemy armour.
God, if you exist, please help me with this moron... Infantry fights in formations, sometimes you can hit multiple soldiers in formation with use of area weapons, like artillery, tank gun ammunition, automatic cannons ammunition. However sometimes, there are only indiidual soldiers as a targets, there is nobody near them, then you use small arms, because firing area type weapon is not economical... what is so difficult to understand here?

Yes there are some counter measures against ATGM but Russians are working on it, besides we still have unguided RPGs for which Tanks have no answer. MILAN ATGM's muzzle velocity is 200 M/S where as RPG 7's muzzle velocity is only 115 M/S.
Unguided RPG's which tanks have no answer? :D

Again, you want to lie in front of facts? :D

Where the heck I said it was not dangerous? Iraqis would have better result if they had proper ammunition. As for M1 vs C 2 will the M1 be battle worthy still?
Even if Iraqis would have better ammunition, results would be the same. And yes, M1 would be operational, there was even one incident where M1 fired accidentialy in to Challenger 2 front turret armor, nothing happened, and M1 had better gun and ammunition than Challenger 2, their armor is comparable.

That's why perhaps now they concentrate more on Attack Helicopters? Then why now militaries are decreasing their Tank number and instead increasing Attack Helicopter number? West Germany had over 2500 tanks in cold war, now they have only about 500 as active.
Who concentrate on attack helicopters? :D You don't even know what happens over the world do you?

USA have 8000 tanks, from which 4000 is in active service, and less than 1000 attack helicopters.
Israel have around 4000 tanks total, and 1840 in active service, and 70 attach helicopters.
Germany will have 225 tanks total and 21 attack helicopters.
UK will have around 200-250 tanks total and only around 60-70 attack helicopters.
France will have also around 200-300 tanks total and 34 attack helicopters.

Which is more? Tanks or attack helicopters? :D

Nazisim is an idealism, should we say all WW2 Russian soldiers as Communist just because they were under Communist role? We call US soldiers through their nationality, British soldiers through their nationality then only Germans will be called through their political idea?
Ah, here it is your pain? You little Nazi lover. :D

Actually Iraq had modern air defence system, CIA inserted virus in their computers Iraqis were poorly trained, their pilots knew nothing compared to US pilots, same goes to Tankers also. Poor training was 1 of main reason Iraq lost.
Calling Iraqi air defence as modern is like having a date with moose.

You are telling from Iraq war experience, let the war to happen between US-Iran(I hope not) US analysis will change.
Why should US analisis change, their view is right now very clear, over reliance on air forces is a mistake, a bloody mistake.

There is a proverb in my country "Jatota Garjay toto ta barshay na" meaning those who make warcry more they cant fight war according to that. Same is true for Tanks. When Tanks can give higher protection, then it is ineffective. It is waste of time to argue with you.
Complete nonsense and contraditicion. How a better protection means it is ineffective, so no protection is effective, when a single hit can kill you?

Can I ask, are you feel alright? perhaps you need to go to psychiatrist?

I told you Tanks alone cant beat infantry, Tanks are extremely vulnerable with out infantry cover and it is proved or CAS(battle of Longewala) you dont accept then dont.
I just don't accept opinions made by morons, idiots and lunatics. And of course I don't accept also lies.

My last message instead of studying Tanks read about Social theories regarding how immigration kills Native culture, and kick immigrants out of Europe, leave the war fare to us.
?? I don't have problems with immigrants in my country, this is first thing, second, leave these things to people like, that actually study these security matters in reality, on real academy, and discuss these things with real doctors and profesors, real scientists in their discipline.

I do not need to listen some idiot like you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Waffen SS

Where did I say that M60 seen combat in Vietnam? Are you incapable to read a simple text in english? And I said that M60 was more advanced tank than M48, simple as that. And no, M60 was not an answer to T-62, in fact T-62 was answer to the L7 gun really, not new NATO tanks, and T-64 was a revolutionary design which was designed to be best tank at that time. T-72 history is a bit more complicated, and I do not have time to lecture you about history of it's development.
Okay, if M 60 was not an advanced tank of that time, then why US replaced M 48? What was US's answer to Soviet T 64 and T 72? T 72 is a simple version basically of T 64. Do you think L 7 guns can work properly with out tank? Listen moron L 7 was main gun of M 60 also. Get your facts right. So How and why T 62 would not be counted as M 60's competitor?

T 64 was revolutionary because it had auto loader, 125 mm gun, how ever Auto loading system was faulty, so T 72 was made, an improved version of T 64.

Then you are primitive, and naive. There is no such thing as being fair in real life.
If there was no such thing as fair then how that word come? For me results from Professional army vs Professional army is more accetable than Professional army vs insurgents.

Nah, it is just that it is difficult for lesser being to insult me. I could feel insulted when someone like Richard Hunnicutt, Milton Friedman etc. would call me that, because these people are or rather were credible, they were great figures, scientists in their respective disciplines.

Why should I care about your insults, children like I eat on breakfest.
Richard Hunnicutt was from 2o th century, we are living in 21st century. Milton Friedman was economist, well if so then I can tell you I can be only insulted Alexanader The Great, Chandragupta Maurya? There were greatest figures. :troll:

At lest dogs also cry when they are sad but you are robot.

You prove only how stupid you are. But you know what. Do me this pleassure and destroy your own armed forces by forcing on them your stupid ideas. And leave us, this means west and east alone, we know better how to fight wars, afterall we designed all these weapons and we know better for what we design them and how to use them.
Was my theory ever used in combat? I already have shown you many cases when Tanks were decimated by air attack or RPGs. You dont design those things. Get rid of from Cold war hang over.

So what?! I can capture enemy small arms, this means we should throw away small arms and use sticks? But hey sticks can also be captured by enemy.

Your "logic" is complete absurd. Soon I should stop using car because someone can steal it from me?

Jesus ----ing Christ, you are a complete moron!
Okay, how many countries can produce tanks? Tanks has more devastating fire power than small arms, besides all country has enough small arms. You know dude during Iraq-Iran war, Iran was under arms embargo, but still they managed to fighht for 8 with small arm equipped infantry and captured tanks from Iraq. In India-Pakistan war do you think India would use G 3 rifles left behind by Pakistan? No we have enough rifles, but if Pakistan leaves Al Khalid tanks then surely India will use them.

Where? I see only damaged track, from a mine most likely.
Here it again proves I am right, I previously said you some times your tanks got disabled not destroyed completely then crews will be forced to abandon their tanks, which could be still operational, then enemy can use them against you. I provided you how Pakistani Patton tanks were struck in mud and then crews abandoned them.

The thing is that NATO didn't had anything comparable to T-64, T-72 and T-80 up to 1979 when first Leopard 2 was fielded and 1980 when first M1 was fielded.

Yes, NATO was in disadvantage, had only obsolete tanks and weapon systems that could not match newest Soviet T tanks.

When T-64, T-72 and T-80 had composite armor in 1960's and 1970's, NATO tanks still used obsolete steel homogeneus armor.

If not nuclear weapons deterent, Soviets without a problem would conquer whole Europe, because NATO did not had anything that could reliably stop their newest tanks.

Hello in real world!
Yes, in armour NATO tanks were obsolete, but not in main gun. British Chieftain had 120 mm rifled gun, can T 72, T 80's armour's survive from 105 mm hit by M 60? Of course not. So having superior protection of Soviet Tanks would not work here. After all no matter how much armour you have if it gets penetrated by enemy weapon, then having protection does not matter after all.

No, it is not human language, afterall I don't talk with human, but with... something.
:facepalm: your arrogance knows no limit.

God, if you exist, please help me with this moron... Infantry fights in formations, sometimes you can hit multiple soldiers in formation with use of area weapons, like artillery, tank gun ammunition, automatic cannons ammunition. However sometimes, there are only indiidual soldiers as a targets, there is nobody near them, then you use small arms, because firing area type weapon is not economical... what is so difficult to understand here?
That's why Tankers use then .50 Cal not main gun, and spending 1 main gun round on individual soldiers is also waste of ammunition, in addition we today no longer engage in country vs country fight, US will no longer engage in Europe against Russians, both India-Pak have atomic bombs, so no more war, can you understand this perspective of XXI century? And in case of non-nuke countries I provided you how Croatian infantry repulsed Yugoslav attack.

Unguided RPG's which tanks have no answer? :D

You may call them old tanks, but what about M1 Abrams getting disabled by RPG 29?

Even if Iraqis would have better ammunition, results would be the same. And yes, M1 would be operational, there was even one incident where M1 fired accidentialy in to Challenger 2 front turret armor, nothing happened, and M1 had better gun and ammunition than Challenger 2, their armor is comparable.
Challenger 1 not 2.

Who concentrate on attack helicopters? You don't even know what happens over the world do you?

USA have 8000 tanks, from which 4000 is in active service, and less than 1000 attack helicopters.
Israel have around 4000 tanks total, and 1840 in active service, and 70 attach helicopters.
Germany will have 225 tanks total and 21 attack helicopters.
UK will have around 200-250 tanks total and only around 60-70 attack helicopters.
France will have also around 200-300 tanks total and 34 attack helicopters.

Which is more? Tanks or attack helicopters?
You forgot Panavia Tornados and other ground attack aircrafts? And

BBC News - Libya: RAF Tornados destroy seven Libyan tanks

Ah, here it is your pain? You little Nazi lover. :D
I am not Nazi lover, I am clear hence we are calling other soldiers through their nationality so we should also call Germans as Germans. They were fighting under Nazi government, Wehrmacht was not Nazi, it was Waffen SS and Gestapo. if you want to refer WW2 soldiers by their Government ideology use ideological term in case of all soldiers not German=Nazi, if you use nationality to mention use only nationality terms such as Soldiers of Britain as British Soldiers, soldiers from Japan as Japanese soldiers

Calling Iraqi air defence as modern is like having a date with moose.
Take a look here. List of Gulf War military equipment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Air defense system. They also has 9K38 Igla, and many others.

If they are not ideal AA system in 1991 then what do you propose to use? Laser beams?:facepalm:

Why should US analisis change, their view is right now very clear, over reliance on air forces is a mistake, a bloody mistake.
USAF view needs to be changed, instead of using F 35B they should continue with A 10.

Complete nonsense and contraditicion. How a better protection means it is ineffective, so no protection is effective, when a single hit can kill you?

Can I ask, are you feel alright? perhaps you need to go to psychiatrist?
Well, dude Germans placed very good armour in Tiger 1, it was only effective until Allies upgrade their weaponry. This race will continue, more you upgrade your armour, I will just simply add bigger guns, rendering your heavy armour useless. So how much heavy armour will you add? Always take a note adding armour means increase of weight, which might be a problem. So is theory better or light vehicle with high fire power with great mobility is better?

Did German's Tiger Tank's super heavy amour work when British used their QF 17 Poundar and US 76 mm? No. In fact hence both Sherman and Tiger had protection against small arms, so once Sherman was able to penetrate Tiger's armour, since then Sherman became better due it's speed. Please read it slowly again and again.

Heavy armour will be only useful until enemy's shell cant penetrate it, once enemy upgrade their cannon(upgrading gun is much cheaper than upgrading armour) your armour will be rendered useless, now who has greater mobility they will win hence now each other's round penetrate each other's armour.

I just don't accept opinions made by morons, idiots and lunatics. And of course I don't accept also lies.
Who is exactly idiot here dude? I gave you examples where Tanks with out infantry cover were slaughtered. How it can be lie? Does it mean only those events which matches with your theory are right others all false?:facepalm:

?? I don't have problems with immigrants in my country, this is first thing, second, leave these things to people like, that actually study these security matters in reality, on real academy, and discuss these things with real doctors and profesors, real scientists in their discipline.

I do not need to listen some idiot like you.
You dont need to listen to me.

Immigration Is Killing Sweden's Welfare State

Thilo Sarrazin, and the Germans' Great Mistake - Taki's Magazine

A fifth of all suspected rapists and murderers in Britain are immigrants | Mail Online

You see? Even experts agree with my view point. Only opposition comes from Political correctness and ultra-liberalism.

You may know well than me about Tank's configuration, I know much well about surroundings and I am not egoistic, dogmatic like you. There is a life beside tanks, go and enjoy it.

You better immigrate to US for greater carrier with Tanks, only my suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dejawolf

Yeah, perhaps it is good idea to minimize it to a single autoloading system.

There is a hatch in turret roof for it.
right, but there doesn't seem to be much room at all for the ammunition box. either it would have to be a belt going down the side of the gun, with the box underneath the gun, or the ammobox would be very small.

It is simplified drawing, perhaps some day my friend will make it more detailed.
seems to be hard putting the elevation motor in there though. for leopard and abrams, the elevation motor is located directly underneath the gun,
here, the autoloader carousel might obstruct the placement of the elevation motor.

Only armor, fuel is stored in fuel tanks in side hull overtrack sponsons and in engine compartment. As you can see on drawing, there are also additional cavities for fuel tanks inside hull, between crew compartment and autoloader, and between autoloader and engine compartment.
aye. i think the TTB had the fuel tank in front of the crew, as armour.

Damian

Today Minister of Defence, mr. Tomasz Siemoniak, will sign agreement with his German partners, to purchase 119 Leopard 2 tanks (105 Leopard 2A5 and 14 Leopard 2A4).

Some news in polish, for non polish speakers, translator use advised.

Polska kupuje kolejne Leopardy
Druga brygada pancerna z Niemiec - DziennikZbrojny.pl
Niemieckie Leopardy dla polskiej armii | DEFENCE24
After this agreement signed and tanks sended through border, Poland will be user of one of the largets Leopard 2 tanks fleet in Europe and world. We will have 247 of these tanks.

Also there is prepared modernization of these tanks to new standard, codenamed Leopard 2PL.

Pierwsze polskie czołgi Leopard idą do remontu

From presentation it looks like tanks will be modernized to standard similiar to Leopard 2S.

Damian

right, but there doesn't seem to be much room at all for the ammunition box. either it would have to be a belt going down the side of the gun, with the box underneath the gun, or the ammobox would be very small.
Yeah, probably rethinking some solutions is nececary.

aye. i think the TTB had the fuel tank in front of the crew, as armour.
I don't think so, at least looking at avaiable materials. IMHO fuel tanks were relocated to the side hull overtrack sponsons for better side protection, while at front, there was only armor, not armor + fuel tank.

Sovngard

And, now, getting back to more interesting things than discussion with lesser beings.

My friend is still working on his tank projects. Here we have one made per my specifications for a very balanced design with as best possible protection at most minimal weight and within as compact design as possible.
:cereal: The hull seems incredibly long with the additonal ammunition magazine.

there was even one incident where M1 fired accidentialy in to Challenger 2 front turret armor, nothing happened, and M1 had better gun and ammunition than Challenger 2, their armor is comparable.
:wtfcat: Source ?

Last edited:

Damian

The hull seems incredibly long with the additonal ammunition magazine.
Eliminate it, and it will be shorter, it is just option.

I believe it was mentioned few years ago somewhere, I just remebered it. Might not be true, however there were friendly fire incidents both in 1991 and 2003, so it might be possible.

Sovngard

Eliminate it, and it will be shorter, it is just option.
...and then, a wild TTB appears ! :herp:

I believe it was mentioned few years ago somewhere, I just remebered it. Might not be true, however there were friendly fire incidents both in 1991 and 2003, so it might be possible.
For my part, I have only this :

« The front turret thickness of the Challenger-2 seems 870mm along side thegun, narrowing to ~740mm at the turret corner. Its been reported "Dorchester" is "dU nuggets" probably suspended in a elastic medium, and 12 inches of this armor stopped the M-829. »

Source : Armor Technology by Paul Lakowski

Last edited:

Damian

...and then, a wild TTB appears !
Well, TTB shows the general direction of MBT evolution. It is just good and logical idea. No need to reinvent the wheel/

Dejawolf

quick video of an autoloader design i've toyed around with. obvious flaws are vulnerability to small arms fire and such.

autoloader - YouTube

turret is manned, unlike TTB design, and AL only holds 16 rounds in a conveyor belt config.

Damian

Seem slightly similiar to some ideas connected to Aleksander Morozov Object 450.

collegeboy16

I have a question: with all the hardkill systems and next-gen reactive armor how will APFSDS fare? will we see a return to HEAT (albeit now guided and with top-attack + countermeasures; HEAT rounds have a lot of space to spare). IMO apfsds future will mostly decided by gun power and materials. With ETC tech/ Liquid propellants, apfsds would be able to reach the optimum impact velocity (2.5km for W afaik) and reduce reaction time for hard kill countermeasure and also interaction time for reactive armor + putting a lot more energy once it breaks through the armor. With materials advancement, ultra-light weight composite sabots, super new alloys and even scramjet rounds are possible.

Damian

I have a question: with all the hardkill systems and next-gen reactive armor how will APFSDS fare?
APFSDS will fare the best, it is the most difficult type of ammunition to counter.

will we see a return to HEAT (albeit now guided and with top-attack + countermeasures; HEAT rounds have a lot of space to spare).
No, actually nobody even thinks about designing new HEAT rounds for tanks guns, there is no point.

it's actually inspired by the stryker MGS, and leclerc.
Hmmm, but then again, I believe that TTB style autoloader is better idea, it does not expose ammunition, store more rounds and so on.

collegeboy16

No, actually nobody even thinks about designing new HEAT rounds for tanks guns, there is no point.
/QUOTE]
youre prolly right, kornet is better than the best 125mm HEAT round, best to leave HEAT to infantry, IFVs and helos.

Dejawolf

US army was developing MRM-CE up until fairly recently:
XM111 120mm MRM Mid Range Munition) CE Live Fire - YouTube
but dunno if it was cancelled.

Hmmm, but then again, I believe that TTB style autoloader is better idea, it does not expose ammunition, store more rounds and so on.
possibly, although it has some flaws of itself, such as larger side profile, and post-penetration spalling causing ammunition cook-off, and disabling the tanks fighting ability. also with the ammunition horizontally stored instead of vertically, it could be possible to load the rounds faster.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles