Liaoning (Varyag) - Chinese Aircraft Carrier

bhramos

Country flag
Re: INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

^^^ Has anybody seen that much of smoke emanating from Varyag? i have not seen in the pics of varyag....i have seen black smoke akin to that of diesel engines from one of the varyag videos..that too the smoke is quite low ,thats almost undetectable....

bhramos

Country flag

^^^ Has anybody seen that much of smoke emanating from Varyag? i have not seen in the pics of varyag....i have seen black smoke akin to that of diesel engines from one of the varyag videos..that too the smoke is quite low ,thats almost undetectable....

Tolaha

Russia's Press Freedom Ranking Upgraded – Report | Russia | RIA Novosti

Doubt? I have no doubt what so ever about the fact that they dont have press freedom.

The country however retained its "Not Free" category with "the use of a pliant judiciary to prosecute independent journalists, impunity for the physical harassment and murder of journalists, and continued state control or influence over almost all traditional media outlets."

Russia jumped one position in the 2012 Press Freedom report by the Washington-based Freedom House think tank, from 173th in 2011, but is still ranked on par with Azerbaijan and Zimbabwe.

Who is ignorant here?

Press Freedom Index 2011-2012 - Reporters Without Borders

142 Russia

174 China

:rolleyes:

Tolaha

And none of them have a free media. Learn to read first? In this case post #1800.

None of the links show they have a free media.

Proved my point, have fun with the thread.
The ranking suggests that the media in Russia is more "free" than in China. With China in the lowest of the low category.

J20!

Country flag
The Ship have similar config as the Russian CV, Its a Steam turbine ship with 8 boilers to run...

When inside dock it is towed by tug boats, To start a steam turbine ship it takes hours..
Source? Liaoning uses 8 DIESEL FED boilers, similar in configuration to Vikramaditya and what Kuznetsov will get during his refit.

nimo_cn

Country flag
The ranking suggests that the media in Russia is more "free" than in China. With China in the lowest of the low category.
So China becomes the benchmark this time, that is surprise.

Sent from my T8830 using Tapatalk 2

badguy2000

Respected Member
I don't disagree. My point is the 2nd carrier is still some time away from seeing operational induction. That's why I said that comment on no carrier competition with India.

A second carrier is expected and the spokesman dismissed reports about it being as early as a launch next year, so it will come much later.

The number of prototypes being made is very similar to what France, India and UK are working on too. Carrier AEWC, fighters (one or two variants), trainers etc. What we really need is the numbers being made. This is a better way of knowing how many carriers will be planned eventually, like how we know UK is planning for two while France may have one more apart from CdG. India will have 2 with plans for 1 more.

If we know PLAN has ordered 24-30 J-15s(12-16 each on the two carriers), or some 45-60 J-31s (like IN's plans for 45 Mig-29Ks on 2 carriers), well you get the idea.

For all we know China will have the first home made 65kT carrier two or 3 years before we do. Like that 2020 figure iceberg posted. A similar timeline, perhaps. Maybe France will be first.

I guess we will know when it happens... but it will happen.
well, I do think that PLAN's plan of AC is much more ambitionous than UK's ,France's and India's.

maybe before 2015,PLAN will have 3 AC and 6 AC before 2020,including 1-3 nuke super AC...
perhaps,2 conventioal AC are being built somewhere in CHina now..
let's wait and see.

Hindustani brains never catch up with the rhythm of China's modernization.

Last edited:

GromHellscream

That's a little exaggerated, imo. One on duty (that's LiaoNing), one being tested and another being built by the time of 2020 is more reasonable. If India wants to keep the pace with China, they don't need to hasten their plans assumed that those plans can be fulfilled on time.

But after 2020, no one knows what will happens in the mind of PLAN, which is mainly influenced by the reactions of US. To follow the USN's path by introducing nuclear carriers seems to be an attractive choice, but what kind of scale of fleets is necessary to meet what kind of strategy requirements is still an unsolved question.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The cost of Shi Lang has made Dalian shipyard as one of the few profitable yards in the country. The costs for her refit were exorbitant needing components from across the FSU to complete it. Did China gain the knowledge needed to clone a failed Kuznetsov design... perhaps. The Shi Lang will likely have a sister ship that clones Varyag like a Xerox. That will take as long as the decade it took to learn how to refit Shi Lang. It is not a strike carrier. Don't be expecting any Super Power fleet from China in the next generation. If they can rebalance the economy for stable growth, it might be possible to see China rival the US by 2050.

badguy2000

Respected Member
The cost of Shi Lang has made Dalian shipyard as one of the few profitable yards in the country. The costs for her refit were exorbitant needing components from across the FSU to complete it. Did China gain the knowledge needed to clone a failed Kuznetsov design... perhaps. The Shi Lang will likely have a sister ship that clones Varyag like a Xerox. That will take as long as the decade it took to learn how to refit Shi Lang. It is not a strike carrier. Don't be expecting any Super Power fleet from China in the next generation. If they can rebalance the economy for stable growth, it might be possible to see China rival the US by 2050.
not long ago, you still insisted that LIaoning would have not engine and checking wire.....have you changed you idea?

and now,you still insist Liaoning is not a "strike carrier". how long will your idea be changed?

rockdog

Country flag
not long ago, you still insisted that LIaoning would have not engine and checking wire.....have you changed you idea?

and now,you still insist Liaoning is not a "strike carrier". how long will your idea be changed?
In his mind, J20 is still a mockup, i cited his "foot in mouth" story about J20 in Chinese forum, and became a laugh stock there ^_^

p2prada

Any idea how long before actual test flights take place?

J20!

Country flag
two pix from newspaper ...by FYJS

Judging from her deck markings in the first pic, these were taken during one of Liaoning's sea trials as they have since been changed.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles