LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Satish Sharma

Country flag
The current PESA radar is equally power intensive. AESA, even GAAs is not overly power intensive as it just switches frequencies but does not do increase intensity or range that makes it use extra power. Moreover, with 250kN power available, it should have more power than F35 for diversion to electricity
Dude the uttam variants we have made is based on gallium nitride. Not on gallium arsenite.
The GaN based radars consume less power than mostly used GaA based radars. But its expensive.
For same power GaN based radars can give more range & better performance compared to GaA based radars. They are not as efficient as GaN...
new modern jet have GaN based radars now f35 has it now gripen is testing same radar used before but based on GaN. Tejas mk2 is going to have GaN based radars.
This will helps us match the Chinese flanker it's performance is going to be significantly boosted and with missiles like astra mk2 it will be a very deadly combination.

spacemarine2023

Country flag
Dude the uttam variants we have made is based on gallium nitride. Not on gallium arsenite.
The GaN based radars consume less power than mostly used GaA based radars. But its expensive.
For same power GaN based radars can give more range & better performance compared to GaA based radars. They are not as efficient as GaN...
new modern jet have GaN based radars now f35 has it now gripen is testing same radar used before but based on GaN. Tejas mk2 is going to have GaN based radars.
This will helps us match the Chinese flanker it's performance is going to be significantly boosted and with missiles like astra mk2 it will be a very deadly combination.
can you share the source GaN is indeed surprising…
I was thinking it might take at least a decade to jump production line to same…
We in India as far as I have read from Open source has no GAN supplier … nor from abroad we have any contracts

Satish Sharma

Country flag
can you share the source GaN is indeed surprising…
I was thinking it might take at least a decade to jump production line to same…
We in India as far as I have read from Open source has no GAN supplier … nor from abroad we have any contracts
Hyderabad based company astra microwaves. Who is manufacturer of uttam and many other radars and a well know AAAU used by india navy..
Will manufacture GaN based radars

The managing director gurunathan reddy of the company said we re ready to manufacture it..
Gan based radar is cutting edge technology which we have mastered it increases performance by many folds

Just scroll the article you will find image of uttam above that is all important to read

Last edited:

spacemarine2023

Country flag
Hyderabad based company astra microwaves. Who is manufacturer of uttam and many other radars and a well know AAAU used by india navy..
Will manufacture GaN based radars

The managing director gurunathan reddy of the company said we re ready to manufacture it..
Gan based radar is cutting edge technology which we have mastered it increases performance by many folds

Just scroll the article you will find image of uttam above that is all important to read
Article is behind paywall and no where GaN is mentioned …
GaN suppliers are mostly from semiconductor manufacturers… for now no one is providing GaN to India inhouse or abroad ASTRA Microwave has GaS no GaN

Satish Sharma

Country flag
GaN suppliers are mostly from semiconductor manufacturers… for now no one is providing GaN to India inhouse or abroad ASTRA Microwave has GaS no GaN
Read carefully. And also the the drdo chief s. Christopher who served from 2015-18 also said that fabrication plant has been established to make make GaN based TR modules.

Screenshot_2023-12-05-11-21-43-43_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Satish Sharma

Country flag
question is they are ready to produce but who is going to supply GaN…
I dont see this info anywhere …
We have tech & facilities to make it. Super Sukhoi will have gan based radar that's it if drdo chief & managing director of Astra microwave is saying it. Then what's the problem .even the seeker of astra mk1 has Gan based modules.
I don't have answer to your questions.

spacemarine2023

Country flag
We have tech & facilities to make it. Super Sukhoi will have gan based radar that's it if drdo chief & managing director of Astra microwave is saying it. Then what's the problem .even the seeker of astra mk1 has Gan based modules.
I don't have answer to your questions.
As far as I have read of net, no public sector entity is working on manufacturing GaN,
I see few start ups working on wafer designing in private space…
Hopefully MOD has plans for it and not yet shared.. as GaN is a must

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
As far as I have read of net, no public sector entity is working on manufacturing GaN,
I see few start ups working on wafer designing in private space…
Hopefully MOD has plans for it and not yet shared.. as GaN is a must
2018 article
Gallium Nitride developments in India

spacemarine2023

Country flag
2018 article
Gallium Nitride developments in India
so a science project a sample created and rest info. Gathered from plenty of published papers…
Another DRDO we r busy facade…

India can create plenty of things in lab nothing goes into production, production requires mass which requires localisation…

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
so a science project a sample created and rest info. Gathered from plenty of published papers…
Another DRDO we r busy facade…

India can create plenty of things in lab nothing goes into production, production requires mass which requires localisation…
sure, if this is an area of interest for you, you may create a new thread on GaN developments and put together all publicly available information, so that you can see for yourself whether others agree with you.

Satish Sharma

Country flag

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag

Samej Jangir

Country flag
You are quite wrong. Please review the countless articles of how long it takes HAL to manufacture the LCA planes and how they need advanced notice to be able to deliver the planes on time and advanced deposits to pay for the manufacturing of the long lead items.
Most of the work is because of peacetime Quality assurance, imported parts, "healthy work atmosphere" etc. In wartime, all of this will go to a toss. If everything is indigenous and workhours & conditions are harsh and quality control is not unusually tight, Tejas can be made pretty quickly. Also, huge number of assembly lines can be set up too. During peacetime, even making rifles take long time. In war times, thousands of rifles are made in a day

For scale, understand that India makes 2+ crore 2 wheelers, 50 lakh cars and another 10-15 lakh tractors, buses, rickshaws, trucks & other vehicles. This is the scale at which defence equipments will be produced.

Samej Jangir

Country flag
India has GAETEC and other DRDO labs which make semiconductors for radars. Even GaAs is made in foundries, although different from Silicon chip foundries. Unlike silicon chips, I don't think GaN has extreme miniaturisation that makes it so difficult to make considering India has already made 65nm silicon chips for ISRO and experience GaAs foundries of over 10-15 years

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles