LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Vamsi

Country flag
I really underestimated the modernity of the manufacture and design of the LCA, under its skin it's a thoroughly modern piece of equipment.

Quadruplex FBW was known but it has Quadruplex redundancy for even the hydraulics and electrical systems

Brake and nose wheel steering by wire! I always assumed it was a hydraulic link between the pedals and the landing gear.

It's not worthy of mention but it's the way this game is played- compared to the JF-17, LCA is totally in a different class. JF-17 is made and designed to methodology from the 1970s (and earlier), it is a souped up MiG-21 at most. LCA from the ground up has been designed as a 21st century machine and ADA/HAL having mastery of these design elements puts them on a very strong base for future projects.
After watching this , I only thought, how can our own country men put down the hardwork of thousands of our own scientists and engineers. The babus ,jernails, air marshals & admirals who conspire and plot against indigenous weapons must be skinned and roasted alive :mad2:

Trololo

Country flag
I've said for a while that the LCA is the most advanced fighter in the IAF's inventory after the Rafale
LCA used Mirage 2000 as benchmark and designers must have thoroughly studied the strengths and weaknesses of it while doing the work for the LCA. I believe our aircraft design philosophy is very European in that aspect.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

This week’s episode looks very promising
I really underestimated the modernity of the manufacture and design of the LCA, under its skin it's a thoroughly modern piece of equipment.

Quadruplex FBW was known but it has Quadruplex redundancy for even the hydraulics and electrical systems

Brake and nose wheel steering by wire! I always assumed it was a hydraulic link between the pedals and the landing gear.

It's not worthy of mention but it's the way this game is played- compared to the JF-17, LCA is totally in a different class. JF-17 is made and designed to methodology from the 1970s (and earlier), it is a souped up MiG-21 at most. LCA from the ground up has been designed as a 21st century machine and ADA/HAL having mastery of these design elements puts them on a very strong base for future projects.
I was right when I said this week’s episode is going to be very promising. It has provided the most insight into the challenging behind the scene works undertaken to bring the Tejas to where it is now and for its future variants as well as other IAF aircraft which have benefited from the research done for the Tejas program😁. This is exactly what we wanted from AKM and Dr Kota when they launched this series.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Sure but what I meant was that there was not a NATO task force actively opposing the invasion.

Of course, the objective is for Indian aircraft to become Indian. A major problem is the engine, a minor one the ejection seat.

I recall when I was a kid reading a book written by MB's chief test victim. Astonishing that the guy was not crippled when they started testing rocket powered seats running along rails on the ground.
Ejection seat could be easily replaced .

Regarding engine that's where understanding with usa comes into being.

Either usa allows indian jet with us engine or it throws argentina into arms of Russia and China. Former is inconvenient but later is downright stupid.

IndianHawk

Country flag
You know, i have a bit of a doubt/suspicion behind the "50 components replacement", is it just a replacement of all British made components or just a list of choices for the FAA to pick from?
I think it's overall British components. Most important of them is ejection seat. Rest are smaller parts.

SUPERPOWER

Country flag

rohit b3

Country flag
After watching this , I only thought, how can our own country men put down the hardwork of thousands of our own scientists and engineers. The babus ,jernails, air marshals & admirals who conspire and plot against indigenous weapons must be skinned and roasted alive :mad2:

Look at this video at 4.45. What would you say about that guy?

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag

Look at this video at 4.45. What would you say about that guy?
Forget that guy, look at what (never thought I'd say this) Ajai Shukla said. He hit the nail on the bloody head. He is exactly 1000% correct.
See from 27:33 onwards:-

Look at what he says about Arjun tank (at 28:09), its the single most important line said in this entire debate:-
"After some time of DRDO consistently overpromising and underdelivering, there comes a point of time in the project (the inflection point) where things change. The Arjun tank changed from a complete white elephant to a functional tank. But the mindset of the military was not able to recognize the change because they had been fighting with DRDO for so long."
^Absolutely correct. Even some forum members fail to realize this. @Bhadra sir?

Another point was made in the debate at 31:18 - "The Minister of Defence is the Minister of Air Force, and the minister of defence production and the minister of DRDO and he also needs to worry about the balance sheet of HAL. So he simply sits back and says "let these guys fight, I'll just wait for my tenure to be over".
^ This shows how important political leadership is in making or breaking a project when the departments below him are run by ineffective bureaucrats. We can see how instrumental the leadership of Shri Parrikar ji was in salvaging Tejas. Before him, the Ministry was in autodrive, all the departments were infighting and the only person with the authority and responsibility to ensure these departments cooperate was an empty chair. Its in these situations that foreign lobbies manage to find footholds in our governance structures and manage to use the internal divisions to their benefit, colonial divide and rule style.

Now the million dollar question is, did the Air Force now take responsibility of HAL and of the entire AMCA project like the Navy does for its own projects? As Shuklaji said, at 29:18, a Naval Officer is chosen for the task, made to retire prematurely and made to go take over the shipyards where he can lead the projects. I don't think Air Force is doing that even for AMCA.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Because the IAF doesn’t want it to happen, they want their foreign toys and all the bonuses that go along with them (personally)
If India executed people in the forces who pocketed the bonuses that go along with procurements, would they be so keen to buy shiny foreign toys? Same for politicians and bureaucrats who like their bonuses, too.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles