LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

vishnugupt

Country flag
As far as I know, IAF has given exact numbers for both MWF and AMCA (with riders ofcourse that these jets come at the advertised time).
For MWF they said upto 200.
For AMCA Mk1: 4 squadrons, AMCA Mk2 thereafter.
IAF is currently being headed by ACM Bhadauria who was part of Tejas program. Under him, we've seem IAF take more interest in indigenous systems.
What if these 200 MWF also include 114 imaginary F-21 jets? Hain? Don't forget MMRCA 2.0 is still alive.

Our IA also gave 1580 artillery requirements in the past and promised a large order for Dhanush and ATAGs ( No exact number ) and now you can see where these two guns are heading? right towards their grave. that too, when MOD/DRDO/Experts are fully supporting indigenous guns.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
What if these 200 MWF also include 114 imaginary F-21 jets? Hain? Don't forget MMRCA 2.0 is still alive.

Our IA also gave 1580 artillery requirements in the past and promised a large order for Dhanush and ATAGs ( No exact number ) and now you can see where these two guns are heading? right towards their grave. that too, when MOD/DRDO/Experts are fully supporting indigenous guns.
I'll reserve judgement till it actually happens. Right now, all I hear is foreign dalals trying to confuse us.

The Maverick

Country flag
This,mark 2 lca v Amca numbers will mushroom into a huge problem and debate next 5 years you watch.
the reason is simple
Amca and Tejas 2 are being developed at the same time and although the mark 2 in theory is suppose to be quicker leaning on part existing tech from.mark1a it will.drag .on

the world by 2030 will be receiving new 5th technology and iaf will be saying reduce mark 2 numbers,for more Amca.
but Amca will be decade away

Iaf will then shout 2 front war we need su57 or f35

indengious India will just carry on confused and snails pace

Spitfire9

Country flag
imo we should drop mark 2
build more mark1a
buy more Rafale
and get France on Amca or usa on board get it in by 2030
Why do you want to drop MWF? Compared to the giant leap required to produce Tejas, MWF is a small challenge airframewise.

I think it would be sensible to order more Mk1A whatever due to low fighter numbers in IAF. In addition it would mitigate delays in producing MWF and mitigate the late arrival of MMRCA 2.0 aircraft if that proposal ever gets off the ground.

More Rafale? Isn't it just a question of when? And when they would be available has not been pushed back a year or two by an order from Switzerland since F-35 was selected for the Swiss air force F-18 replacement.

warriorextreme

Country flag
build more mark1a
buy more Rafale
5th Gen fighters are definitely needed but not at the cost of 4th or 4.5th Generation fighters.

Aniruddha Mulay

build more mark1a
buy more Rafale
That is not going to be possible.
Tejas Mk1A will be a replacement for Mig-21.
Mk1A is a light fighter and can carry a max payload of 4.3 tons and hence it cannot replace the Mig 29, Mirage 2000 and Jaguar in their respective roles as its design, load carrying capacity, engine thrust, number of hardpoints would not allow it to do so.
For that a 4.5gen medium weight category fighter which can carry a payload in excess of 6 tons is needed and that is where Tejas Mk2 comes in.
Also the avionics meant for AMCA are to be introduced in the Tejas Mk2 first and mature over time before they are integrated onto AMCA.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag

JBH22

JF-17 isn't as good as Gripen E
Tejas Mk1 isn't as good as Gripen E
Tejas Mk1A isn't as good as Gripen E
Tejas Mk2 might be better than Gripen E

In my opinion.
Who cares about Gripen E. We are going against JF 17, Chinese copy of MIG 21 or old Mirage 3 for that the Tejas is fine for that task.
Can use Rafale or Su 30mki to swat those flies.

Sir pe tapla

Country flag
Take your pick:-
1) My Maid's husband's forth cousin's friend is watchman of Raksha Mantri
2) Very famous and reliable astrologer.
3) Trust me vro!
/Sorry could not resist, that decode guy post a lot of garbage.
News about N LCA is on idrw site also. If it happens, I would like to see what you all have to say then.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Take your pick:-
1) My Maid's husband's forth cousin's friend is watchman of Raksha Mantri
2) Very famous and reliable astrologer.
3) Trust me vro!
/Sorry could not resist, that decode guy post a lot of garbage.

Well bro there are certain degrees upto which you take a chatter seriously or not.... especially past rumours, ongoing possibilities & technical impossibilities (like in this case how we figured it could be in NLCA twin-seater instead of twin-engined, because we know Teddy will fully replace Mig-29).

It is a good way to predict & have worked for me well, sometimes...

MirageBlue

Country flag
16 extra F404s ordered, 99 not 83.. Yea baby :hat:

@The Shrike see? That's how you do the deduction
Those 16 are more likely to be related to the Tejas Mk1A contract itself. Every contract has the provision for spare engines to be ordered which are needed for those that are pulled out of in-service jets for repair and overhaul.

I don't think this is in any way related to any separate contract with the IN for LCA Navy Mk1 trainers.

I have been hankering for the IN to buy at least 1 squadron of LCA Navy Mk1 trainers, since they are proven on the aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya. Most of the time, the dual seat trainers will be operating from INS Hansa's SBTF on land, but when they do embark with INS Vikramaditya, it'll be priceless experience for IN aviators who will be flying the MiG-29K and later on the TEDBF as well. The IN can conserve the MiG-29KUB's life by using the LCA Navy to train rookies while using the fully combat capable MiG-29KUB as fighters and not trainers.

Also remember, there is no 2 seat TEDBF variant planned, nor a 2 seat Tejas Mk2 from what Grp Cpt HV Thakur said on Twitter. Hence, the Tejas LIFT and LCA Navy Mk1 trainers will have to be used to fill in as the dual seat conversion types for Tejas Mk1A, Tejas Mk2 and TEDBF.

MiG-29KUB is not going to be useful to train TEDBF aviators since it doesn't have the provision to set up the cockpit as per the TEDBF or any other fighter. That is however the plan for the Tejas LIFT - to allow the cockpit displays to be modified (since anyway they are digital on the Large Area Display) to mimick any other IAF type. the IN can ask for similar functionality to be added to the LCA Navy Mk1 trainers and use them to configure the cockpit displays to mimick MiG-29K and TEDBF.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles