LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
When Malaysia can get 3 sukhoi or 3 f16s including political milage of USA or Russia, why will they buy tejas costing 150 m dollar for 2 planes...
Are you mad or what ,who gave this figure , tejas is just 41 million at max ,for foreign customer , iaf version is cheaper , you are highly misinformed dude

Narasimh

Country flag
As an export customer planning to retire a type, I would want certainty in supply from a vendor. I would not buy on the basis that if I ordered, the supplier first needed to build the industrial capacity to supply me before starting to build my order. Too long. Too risky.

If I was told that the existing production line would be used to supply me, that would be different. IAF orders would suffer any delays in a new production plant being commissioned and consequential delays in aircraft deliveries.

Again, why not expand production capacity?
HAL said figure of 16/yr is decided to keep running the production line long enough. IAF order is also not very big, so this 16/yr rate would help keep line active. There is still time before mk1A manufacturing starts, so in the interim if they can gather orders they can increase the assembly line. They cant do the other way round for a budding MIC like ours.
If customers are smart enough they will go for the Tejas as it gives more bang for the buck but may be tolerate some teething issues. If not they can go for the cheap chinese jet and suffer in the long run.

Ashok84

Country flag
Are you mad or what ,who gave this figure , tejas is just 41 million at max ,for foreign customer , iaf version is cheaper , you are highly misinformed dude
I may be.... Is it including taxes and weapons or excluding....

KurtisBrian

Country flag
French won't have any problem , they have elite customer ,not everyone can afford their product , all their offering is a medium category one , russia too don't offer anything special in light category , usa certainly f 16 , so what usa is always pissed off from everyone
there is that customer thing again. :) Here we have one customer thinking he has money and is important but considering another customer who also has money to not be important. strange.

Spitfire9

Country flag
So max export value 500 m dollars.... We may get max 50 m dollars profit.... Waisting precious time, man, machinary of our country... Better we should wait another 10 years before offering tejas to anyone... No one will buy something non existent...
Sure, max export value 500 m dollars - if the buyer never used the aircraft purchased. To use them in an air force you need spares, weapons, training of mechanics/engineers, ground handling equipment, possibly simulator(s)... and more. That is where a lot of the profit lies in a deal.

Wait 10 years? There are replacement cycles for types in service. If your fighters are reaching max hours, you can't wait 10 years to replace them. You will have bought something else by the time Tejas Mk1A is available. If it is available at all. Might be out of production by 2031.

Ashok84

Country flag
F
Sure, max export value 500 m dollars - if the buyer never used the aircraft purchased. To use them in an air force you need spares, weapons, training of mechanics/engineers, ground handling equipment, possibly simulator(s)... and more. That is where a lot of the profit lies in a deal.

Wait 10 years? There are replacement cycles for types in service. If your fighters are reaching max hours, you can't wait 10 years to replace them. You will have bought something else by the time Tejas Mk1A is available. If it is available at all. Might be out of production by 2031.
First mk1 A will fly or handed over to iaf in year 2024 first quarter.. . Will Malaysia wait till 2028 to get 12 planes or India will give away from its own orders of 83???

Spitfire9

Country flag
F

First mk1 A will fly or handed over to iaf in year 2024 first quarter.. . Will Malaysia wait till 2028 to get 12 planes or India will give away from its own orders of 83???
That is one reason why I suggest expanding production capacity. 16 a year is not enough to supply IAF at the speed it needs to maintain squadron strength and retire MiG-21's, let alone to meet any export orders.

I believe that HAL has said that Nashik could be used for export orders but I believe the production capacity is 4 a year. If I was considering ordering 20 Mk1A's, what are the chances I would be prepared to wait 6+ years to get enough aircraft for a squadron?

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
How much can we earn with tejas export while 70 percent of its equipment are imported
20% imported in terms of number parts and 30-40% in terms of cost. Not sure where this 70% figure comes from. You better subscribe to figures than rants of internet warriors and Indian newspapers (literally illiterate on military matters). Go through the last few pages to have an overview.

In any case, exporting a value addition item earns profits.

JBH22

Im
No country buys a new fighter without knowing how it performs. Are you saying that Malaysia should not be offered an Indian-made fighter on security grounds?
I'm just saying Malaysia is not a friendly state, it has overtly made insinuation about hostile intent Vis a vis india. Mahathir did not act on its own, they are still harbouring zakir naik. Malaysia, Turkey are hostile nations if we believe giving them trade deals that will change its not going to do it.

Ashok84

Country flag
Im

I'm just saying Malaysia is not a friendly state, it has overtly made insinuation about hostile intent Vis a vis india. Mahathir did not act on its own, they are still harbouring zakir naik. Malaysia, Turkey are hostile nations if we believe giving them trade deals that will change its not going to do it.
It may be indian conditions buy tejas and you will get 5 brahmos, Astra 2 with it. Like positive offset.

Blank

Country flag
Other then increase production rate, money. One of the things that I like about exports and nobody is mentioning is the feedback that we will get. We can hear the problems other countries are facing and what unique stuff they want in their stuff to improve our own aircraft with their experience. This might seem small but it matters a lot. Like how the Russians adopted Su-30MKI specifications, or how the Chinese made their Wing Long drones battle tested and all that shit. It improves the quality of your own shit and you can improve it with the money you are earning through exports.

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
So max export value 500 m dollars.... We may get max 50 m dollars profit.... Waisting precious time, man, machinary of our country... Better we should wait another 10 years before offering tejas to anyone... No one will buy something non existent...
why so desperate to stop an export opportunity,its only at proposal stage.hmmmmm.

Global Defence

Articles