LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

WarriorIndian

Country flag
Dont you think we are getting a little too over excited for just an RFI? Its not even an RFP. These replacements arent gonna happen before 2028 and that is a more than enough timeframe to develop a new platform for local companies like Boing and LM. LCA Tejas will have absolutely no chance unless it outperforms them all by a good margin by both cost and performance.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Dont you think we are getting a little too over excited for just an RFI? Its not even an RFP. These replacements arent gonna happen before 2028 and that is a more than enough timeframe to develop a new platform for local companies like Boing and LM. LCA Tejas will have absolutely no chance unless it outperforms them all by a good margin by both cost and performance.
Is there a tax on excitement, that I don't know about? :scared1:

The question is, why is the IAF or the Navy not going for LIFT? Is it because of the Hawks?
Partially. They don't need LIFT, but AJT.

Last edited:

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
HAL alone can't speed up the process. Sh*tloads of sub -contracts and supply chains. Even if they want to scale up, it's not easy to scale up the whole supply chain.

Which component is homemade or under our control?(related to only operational aircrafts)
Right ! Then why compete for a foriegn order when you can't fulfill our own orders in time ?

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
Noob question.....
If they produce the LCA LIFT Locally in the US
Can we also produce our aircrafts there after their done, using the resources and manpower already in place

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
basant wrote:
Indranil wrote:The delay in delivering the SPs is not because of production rate. Initially, The Tejas squadrons were placed near Bangalore so HAL could handle initial serviceability issues. That umbilical cord is being cut.
Indranil, with my limited understanding I fail to grasp the connection. How is this issue influencing first flight of SP-23? Are they going to replace LRUs with those supplied from some other vendor(s)? In such a case it can be anybody's guess as to how long FOCs will take to have even first flight.
It means that SP23, 24 .... are not waiting in an assembly line. But, IAF & HAL have agreed that IAF will not accept and HAL will not deliver a Tejas which is not fully serviceable at IAF's BRD without any of HAL's interventions. And that this serviceability leads to a minimum level of availability.

So giving you an example, At Gaganshakti, Tejas's availability was higher than pilot availability, but that was ensured with HAL's team traveling with the squadron. Henceforth, this will not be the case

Ok just copied from brf.....for those who are asking about delay in delivery

N4tsula67

Country flag
India should go for F 16 instead of Tejas in my opinion. Imagine the look on paki face. F 16 can do all the functions of tejas + more.
Before commenting something like this think twice shrimaan. Tejas Mk1(not Mk1a or Mk2) is comparable to F16 in many ways. Simple answer to your question F16 are outdated and we will have to dependent on foriegn power. Tejas is what kick started our Aircraft manufacturing what our engineer has learn from this will be implemented in AMCA,TEDBF. You see we have total control over Tejas it will always cheaper and easier for us to maintain and modify our own indigenous Aircraft over an imported tech. Tejas Mk2 will be comparable to gripen in many way & can be even better. Simple answer Tejas is indigenous,cheaper,we have total control over it,we can export this aircraft and biggest reason this kind projects further strengthen our defence manufacturing sector.
And shrimaan on paki f16 we have Rafale shrimaan we can easily import more Rafale but will that boost our indigenous manufacturing sector? Nope.

Swiftfarts

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Before commenting something like this think twice shrimaan. Tejas Mk1(not Mk1a or Mk2) is comparable to F16 in many ways. Simple answer to your question F16 are outdated and we will have to dependent on foriegn power. Tejas is what kick started our Aircraft manufacturing what our engineer has learn from this will be implemented in AMCA,TEDBF. You see we have total control over Tejas it will always cheaper and easier for us to maintain and modify our own indigenous Aircraft over an imported tech. Tejas Mk2 will be comparable to gripen in many way & can be even better. Simple answer Tejas is indigenous,cheaper,we have total control over it,we can export this aircraft and biggest reason this kind projects further strengthen our defence manufacturing sector.
And shrimaan on paki f16 we have Rafale shrimaan we can easily import more Rafale but will that boost our indigenous manufacturing sector? Nope.
Tejas is technologically , physically confined and has no future potential growth. Tejas MK 2 etc etc are just that paper design and will never be inducted. we are late already better spend money on AMCA and order rafale, F 21, F 18 in bulk.....until stealth options come around.

Arihant Roy

Country flag
Ok LCA Tejas life time is 3000 flying hours
They are playing it safe. Service life will be much more than this figure. The age old 21 had a 2600+ hrs service life ..

"In these additional structures being built, one of the airframe structures will be dedicated for MAFT (Main Air-frame Fatigue Test Specimen), which will be used for testing to extend the life of aircraft to minimum 3000 hours of flying. Fabrication of this test specimen will be completed by March 2020," the official adds.
A FOC airframe ,one among SP-25 to 28 will be used a fatigue test vehicle to determine the TTSL of the airframe and other major modules.

My estimate will be a 7000+ hr service life .

Last edited:

N4tsula67

Country flag
Tejas is technologically , physically confined and has no future potential growth. Tejas MK 2 etc etc are just that paper design and will never be inducted. we are late already better spend money on AMCA and order rafale, F 21, F 18 in bulk.....until stealth options come around.
Its your opinion your entitled to your opinion. To me Tejas has potential.

Tridev123

Country flag
India should go for F 16 instead of Tejas in my opinion. Imagine the look on paki face. F 16 can do all the functions of tejas + more.
A post like this gives a very misleading picture. It suggests that you are pushing someone else's agenda and trying to sabotage our indigenous efforts in creating an aerospace ecosystem.

I am sure you are not a lobbyist of the US. But if you really want India to become technologically self sufficient you would realise that promoting imports for ever is counter productive. In an ideal scenario I want neither American or Russian planes but only Indian designed and manufactured planes. I realise that is presently not possible as we still need to depend on imports in many areas. But at a minimum we have to start the process of becoming independent in aerospace technology.

The LCA Tejas programme gives us precisely such an opportunity. To learn. To improve.

I acknowledge that a good percentage of the systems and subsystems in the Tejas are imported. But that's OK as even the US after the Second World War took the help of German/Nazi scientists. So we will try to indigenise the imported components over a period of time.

The F16 will be the biggest mistake if we buy it. Simply because the Pakistanis have been using it for decades and know everything about its strengths and weaknesses. If you had pushed the F18 Super Hornet it would have made more sense. And why did you not suggest the F35?. It would have found many supporters as presently it has no competition.

India could consider an F35 buy but not an F16 buy.

We cannot leapfrog to the 5th generation AMCA without mastering the technologies needed for a 4.0/4.5 generation aircraft. The LCA, MWF, TEDBF/ORCA provide the steps required to climb the aerospace ladder. Gradually progressing is more risk free than jumping straight into 5th generation technology.

The path to self sufficiency is not easy. There will be setbacks and disappointments but we must persist. Success will come.Hard does not go unrewarded.

Good day to you.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Lol i think contract of 83MK1A will be singed when wars of Pakistan and china is all over and they will make few relic pieces just like marut 🙃.
I have waited for tejas more than i have waited to find a girl but i ended with nothing 🙃.
Bhai Dont be upset.,I can tell you. Hal has already ordered raw material in advance for mk1a....
And there is nothing with war with china pak......as the jet is going to delivered in 2024

Arihant Roy

Country flag
F16 has 4000 flying hours
Nope.

F-16 had an original technical service life of 8000 hrs which is now being extended to 12000 hrs.

The program combines a dozen structural modifications into one repeatable package – from bulkheads to wings and canopy. The jets, which became operational in 1979, and were originally deemed air worthy for up to 8,000 flight hours, will have their life extended up to 12,000 flying hours – possibly more, said Capt. Randy Nemerson, F-16 SLEP acquisition manager.
https://www.afmc.af.mil/News/Articl...-a-great-deal-for-department-of-defense-taxp/

https://news.lockheedmartin.com/201...38.1296770080.1607834185-378605052.1607834185

Lockheed believes the TTSL can be extended much beyond 12000 hrs though. They have fatigue tested one airframe fr 27000 hrs.

I am pretty sure HAL and ADA would certify Tejas for atleast 7000 hrs initially followed by supplemental Life extension certificates . Tejas can reach 8000 hrs comfortably without any structural changes or strengthening .

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles