LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

pc982449

Real capabilities of mk1 radar is classified what you see in media is a basic approximation based on size of radar and power available to it.

Don't freight much over such info.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk
Correct ,radar information classified so media group give a wrong information of tejas mk1 aircraft
Bro u know how many tejas jet can delivered by hal to air force

Sent from my Alfa L using Tapatalk

Berkut

Country flag
In what I have heard from other sources n read on this forum. Tejas is a classic case of "shifting goalposts".
So you have the IAF saying we need numbers as our squadrons are depleted severely and the Mig-21 should have retired yesterday. Based upon this the Tejas journey is embarked upon.
It takes time to set up an eco system to build a complex machine from scratch.
Everything needs to be put into a supply chain right from the paint to the fabric of the seat to the Radar n its components. So far so good.
Along the way, the goal post slowly started to be shifted, I would think the IAF would be the main culprit here. Now Tejas should no longer be a "numbers" fighter but should also fire BVR, take on a 4 plus gen fighter in combat and bake a cake while at it.
The Chinese on the other hand have a below average fighter, the JF17, which can take to the air and hold it's own for 15 minutes, BUT BUT BUT can be produced in 100s like a Maruti 800.
If it's a numbers game, which it was at outset, the IAF shifted goal posts along the way.

vishnugupt

Country flag
IAF accident rates are more or less at par with world averages
You are right but my disappointed with IAF is it always cry for decreasing squadrons and continue asking to buy foreign maal as a urgency to face two front war but it doesn't not reflect that urgency in action. How could IAF forgot to tighten screw of Pylon of an aircraft which has best safety record in the world ( if not then as par). >80% accidents in IAF and 99.99% accidents in IN caused by Humen errors.

rone

Country flag
So its mean 83 jet deal r finalized in this year

Sent from my Alfa L using Tapatalk
i heard that LCA mk1a will have widescreen display instead of 3 mfd, also side stick control in consideration maybe we can see much more potent platform for lca mk1a also this may be the reason it will have the first flight in 2022

sathya

Country flag
i heard that LCA mk1a will have widescreen display instead of 3 mfd, also side stick control in consideration maybe we can see much more potent platform for lca mk1a also this may be the reason it will have the first flight in 2022
No , they issued RFI for 40 nos. 5 inch smart display.

---------------

And we are going to make 16 mk1 for 2 years means same 8/ year.
Third year Mk1A may be integrated.

Last edited:

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
In what I have heard from other sources n read on this forum. Tejas is a classic case of "shifting goalposts".
So you have the IAF saying we need numbers as our squadrons are depleted severely and the Mig-21 should have retired yesterday. Based upon this the Tejas journey is embarked upon.
It takes time to set up an eco system to build a complex machine from scratch.
Everything needs to be put into a supply chain right from the paint to the fabric of the seat to the Radar n its components. So far so good.
Along the way, the goal post slowly started to be shifted, I would think the IAF would be the main culprit here. Now Tejas should no longer be a "numbers" fighter but should also fire BVR, take on a 4 plus gen fighter in combat and bake a cake while at it.
The Chinese on the other hand have a below average fighter, the JF17, which can take to the air and hold it's own for 15 minutes, BUT BUT BUT can be produced in 100s like a Maruti 800.
If it's a numbers game, which it was at outset, the IAF shifted goal posts along the way.
If Tejas is a classic case of shifting goalpost then what KAI KFX is.

Berkut

Country flag
You are right but my disappointed with IAF is it always cry for decreasing squadrons and continue asking to buy foreign maal as a urgency to face two front war but it doesn't not reflect that urgency in action. How could IAF forgot to tighten screw of Pylon of an aircraft which has best safety record in the world ( if not then as par). >80% accidents in IAF and 99.99% accidents in IN caused by Humen errors.
Sirji, though the accident rates are high and should be condemned, one must not forget that in terms of sheer number of hours IAF pilots fly, they will leave the rest of the world way way behind. Most western Airforces do a lot of simulator flying.

Comparing our accident rates to say that of RAF will be mis leading.
I would argue, n I dont have the numbers, the IAF flyboys probably clock more hours than the USAF.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Sirji, though the accident rates are high and should be condemned, one must not forget that in terms of sheer number of hours IAF pilots fly, they will leave the rest of the world way way behind. Most western Airforces do a lot of simulator flying.

Comparing our accident rates to say that of RAF will be mis leading.
I would argue, n I dont have the numbers, the IAF flyboys probably clock more hours than the USAF.
Then how many hours flight an aircraft needs to get crashed ?? IAF only buy and forget maintenance like did in Platus trainer. Due to lack of maintenance plane get crashed not because of high flying numbers.
High flying numbers of IAF somewhat looks like a misconception because every country has its own standards.
Coming to the original point of argument How come to IAF forgot to tighten the screw of a pylon so it fell apart into midair ?? certainly not because of high flying sorties...
We all respect our arm forces but arm forces also need to be accountable

Narasimh

Country flag
Tejas mk1-A should be good enough to replace both Mig 21s and MiG 27s and should be at least 200 of these built first. ~ 120 Mig 21s and ~60 Mig 27s. So 83 of these does not seem enough. MWF has high chance of getting delayed beyond 2024.

Berkut

Country flag
Then how many hours flight an aircraft needs to get crashed ?? IAF only buy and forget maintenance like did in Platus trainer. Due to lack of maintenance plane get crashed not because of high flying numbers.
High flying numbers of IAF somewhat looks like a misconception because every country has its own standards.
Coming to the original point of argument How come to IAF forgot to tighten the screw of a pylon so it fell apart into midair ?? certainly not because of high flying sorties...
We all respect our arm forces but arm forces also need to be accountable
Taken on it's own, your argument is valid.
But it is unfair to compare IAF incidents and accidents numbers to foreign forces.

You fly more, there is more wear n tear, your airframes , engines run through their lifecycles quicker, your chances of having incidents n accidents go up. Couple that with some of the most hostile weather the equipment is exposed to. You

I do not know which pylon you are referring to or what was the ultimate result of the faux pa, but look at it this way, IAF ground crews do a tremendous job keeping the majority of the fleet air worthy, considering you dont even get parts for a lot of ex Soviet airplanes.

no smoking

Country flag
That is the typical media's way of misleading: using flying hours of Indian elite units to compare other countries' average.
On the other hand, if the high flying hours is the cause of crash rate, then IAF should consider to lower the annual flying hours because such intensive usage is obviously beyond the level that maintenance team to handle.

sathya

Country flag
Tejas mk1-A should be good enough to replace both Mig 21s and MiG 27s and should be at least 200 of these built first. ~ 120 Mig 21s and ~60 Mig 27s. So 83 of these does not seem enough. MWF has high chance of getting delayed beyond 2024.
HAL would not let its production capacity to go waste,, until MWF comes online, Mk1A will be produced.

Hope 16 / year production rate is achieved at least from 2022 mk1A onwards..

Berkut

Country flag
That is the typical media's way of misleading: using flying hours of Indian elite units to compare other countries' average.
On the other hand, if the high flying hours is the cause of crash rate, then IAF should consider to lower the annual flying hours because such intensive usage is obviously beyond the level that maintenance team to handle.
Well it boils down to what the IAF's role is v/s that of a western air force.
Nothing beats actually dropping a precision guided package in Chandna on a moon less night v/s doing the same thing in a sim.
You have look into why the IAF does more actual flying than its western counterparts also from a role, potential conflict scenario perspective.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles