LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

no smoking

Country flag
Though combat range will change from mission to mission with payload...
But why ada wrote 300 km..,
Well, think this way: comparing to JF-17, Tejas is 1.63m shorter in length and 1.25m shorter in width. However, the empty weight is 6560kg vs 5685kg, only 25kg lighter. Considering Tejas has 40% of composite material (which is lighter than metal in the average weight of volume) in its body while JF17 is a metal plane, the internal space left for fuel should be much less than JF17. So, it won't be a surprise for that 300km combat range.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Well, think this way: comparing to JF-17, Tejas is 1.63m shorter in length and 1.25m shorter in width. However, the empty weight is 6560kg vs 5685kg, only 25kg lighter. Considering Tejas has 40% of composite material (which is lighter than metal in the average weight of volume) in its body while JF17 is a metal plane, the internal space left for fuel should be much less than JF17. So, it won't be a surprise for that 300km combat range.
Figures for Tejas empty weight publicly available as of now varies from 5450kg to 6500kg, exact true value unknown... Jf-17 is 6585kg. My guess is Mark 1A might end up around 6000kg.

Figures for Tejas combat radius publicly available as of now varies from 200km to 600km (800+ with in-flight refueling), exact true value unknown.

Last edited:

garg_bharat

Country flag
Lowest possible, for highest drag payload maybe.

They need to work on the pylons next... just a dual-rack won't do. Compared to some other designs being used on contemporary aircrafts, a lot of optimisation needed.
View attachment 34366
300 km is full load, no external tanks.
Typical combat configuration is about 550km range.

tejascot

Which helmet used pilot????[emoji55][emoji55]

Sent from my Alfa L using Tapatalk

tejascot

Tejas mk1 jet weapon station new displacement
Increase payload capacity 1200kg_1546kg???

tejascot

300 km is full load, no external tanks.
Typical combat configuration is about 550km range.
Currently 3types of ferry range {lca} present in public domain
1.1750km {public domain}
2.2100km{hal,iaf}
3.3000km{hal,iaf}

That's mean tejas aircraft has three combat radius
1.586km{with internal fuel ,725 fuel tank, cap role weapons}{ 2ccm,2bvrs,2lgb bombs}
2.700km{with internal fuel, 1200ltr×2 fuel tank,CA's,or cap role weapons}{2ccm,2bvrs,/3lgbs}
3.1000km{with internal fuel, 1200ltr×2,725ltr tanks ,cap or cas role weapons}{2bvrs,2ccms,1spj,2lgbs}

Tejas aircraft fuel capacity
Int.fuel 2486
Ext.fuel 1200/1500*
1200/1500*
Total 5611ltr

WARREN SS

Country flag
We Need I-Derby ER missile Integration in both MKI And LCA MK1

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Haha yeah, our obsession with foreign everything ! If our own solution is good enough we should go for it. No other country works like us. Looks like we have a bad inferiority complex & always take the easy way out of importing instead of getting hands dirty and working hard to support our own systems. This is Justified if it's reqd for immediate stop gap measure. But importing large quantities at the expense of ASTRA is criminal. Its range will be improved in the future. Airforce must work together with industry to achieve that, instead if using a hands off approach.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Haha yeah, our obsession with foreign everything ! If our own solution is good enough we should go for it. No other country works like us. Looks like we have a bad inferiority complex & always take the easy way out of importing instead of getting hands dirty and working hard to support our own systems. This is Justified if it's reqd for immediate stop gap measure. But importing large quantities at the expense of ASTRA is criminal. Its range will be improved in the future. Airforce must work together with industry to achieve that, instead if using a hands off approach.
My friend no need to worry. Astra and Nag are important missiles and production is ramping up.
However imports will be there to top up inventory as both missiles are very late.

Advaidhya Tiwari

My friend no need to worry. Astra and Nag are important missiles and production is ramping up.
However imports will be there to top up inventory as both missiles are very late.
Astra is already ready and almost equals IDerby ER. It makes no sense to get Iderby-ER when Astra is already ordered and 50 delivered. Mere difference of 20km range between IDerby-ER & Astra is no justification for import.

Advaidhya Tiwari

Astra production is ramping up. But remember first lots are like test missiles. Imports will be there as well to top up inventory.
Do you think India does not already possess a stockpile of R77 and other AAM? Why import when Astra is being produced?

garg_bharat

Country flag
Do you think India does not already possess a stockpile of R77 and other AAM? Why import when Astra is being produced?
Every missile has a shelf life. Some missiles can be re-manufactured - like propellent can be replaced. Some missiles are sealed and become useless after specified time period.

You can ask Air Force about "inventory" of R77. All I can tell you is that old missiles need to be removed from inventory, and replaced with new missiles.

Advaidhya Tiwari

Every missile has a shelf life. Some missiles can be re-manufactured - like propellent can be replaced. Some missiles are sealed and become useless after specified time period.

You can ask Air Force about "inventory" of R77. All I can tell you is that old missiles need to be removed from inventory, and replaced with new missiles.
And newly manufactured Astra will be replacing them. Why do you think India has bought a single lot of R77 missile which ill expire simultaenously?

garg_bharat

Country flag
And newly manufactured Astra will be replacing them. Why do you think India has bought a single lot of R77 missile which ill expire simultaenously?
I have no idea how many lots of R77 were bought and when. You need to ask IAF.
Fair to assume some lots have expired or expiring which need to be replaced.
Plus additional missiles are needed for new build aircraft.

You are assuming too many things. You have no idea of Astra production vs BVR requirement. You have no idea of plus/minus of Astra vs other missiles. This local/imported logic goes nowhere because you do not have reliable data.

I am sure Astra will become a primary BVR missile for IAF fighters one day. I doubt that is the case today.

Global Defence

Articles