LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Japanese are loving the patches. Biggest enemy of Tejas is none but low production rate.

Out of 32 ordered (firm order), 16 have been produced so far.

Till date firm contract for Tejas MK-1A has not been signed.

The biggest enemy of Tejas is small order volume.

It's the order volume which dictates the rate of production.

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Out of 32 ordered (firm order), 16 have been produced so far.

Till date firm contract for Tejas MK-1A has not been signed.

The biggest enemy of Tejas is small order volume.

It's the order volume which dictates the rate of production.
Disagreed... Mark 1A is not ready yet. They're planning to deliver the other 16 by 2021, 8 each year (4 more this year i think). After that Mark 1A is expected to be available.

Instead of they ramped it up & completed delivery of FOC versions by 2020, they could have persuaded IAF to extend the FOC Tejas order a bit.

Games Goblin

Country flag
Spectacular Debut By Indian LCA Tejas Fighter Jet At Malaysian Airshow

India's Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas made a spectacular debut on the first day of the Langkawi International Maritime and Aviation (LIMA) airshow in Malaysia.

The aircraft, piloted by Group Capt. Smarth Dhankar put up an impressive performance for nearly 10 minutes in the skies over Langkawi. Performing maneuvers such as loop, slow speed pass, minimum radius turn, maximum rate turn, negative G turn and point rolls, the aircraft kept the gathered visitors enthralled during the performance.

This is the first time that the LCA Tejas is participating in an international air show after its induction into the Indian Air Force (IAF).

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/24...fighter_jet_at_Malaysian_airshow#.XJpSjZgzaUk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEJAS - Ready to bring the Josh

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Disagreed... Mark 1A is not ready yet. They're planning to deliver the other 16 by 2021, 8 each year (4 more this year i think). After that Mark 1A is expected to be available.

Instead of they ramped it up & completed delivery of FOC versions by 2020, they could have persuaded IAF to extend the FOC Tejas order a bit.
MK-1A is more like an upgrade programme bit on the lines of what is done during MLU and rest on lines of what is done for an incremental upgrade. Not much of a challenge.

Still many of the requirements have been proved already. AESA and SPJ integration are pending only. However, HAL having integrated EL-2052 on Jaguar does not leave much for doubting. I wonder if IAF had asked for a prototype of Jaguar UPG before signing a final contract with HAL. The probable Ans is no. So IAF should also apply the same for Tejas MK-1A.

HAL needs lead time of at least 3 years to produce first Tejas MK-1A. HAL needs that time to place an order for subsystems. And to keep Tier1/2/3 interested the order should be of good volume.

abingdonboy

Country flag
The only thing we know for sure is that 16 air-frames have achieved IOC and that at the beginning of the year only 9 had been inducted into IAF. The proofs I need are...

1) How many aircraft inducted into IAF as of today.
2) How long had the 7 air-frames that were not turned over been started by HAL, months or years ago?

I suspect those 7 airframes had been in unfinished states for a long time and that no revolution in HAL production schedule has really happened. According to the article I posted only 1 had been inducted since the start of the year.
I don’t know where you’re getting these numbers from.

12 are with 45 SQN now and by the end of April all 16 will be all with the SQN.

No need to be looking for conspiracy theories. HAL have proven that once they get into their groove and supplies are in place they will churn out products on target

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I don’t know where you’re getting these numbers from.

12 are with 45 SQN now and by the end of April all 16 will be all with the SQN.

No need to be looking for conspiracy theories. HAL have proven that once they get into their groove and supplies are in place they will churn out products on target
I got it from here... https://theprint.in/defence/behind-...s-10-concessions-given-to-fighter-jet/208549/

HAL has not proven they churn out products on target... that has always been the problem.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Japanese are loving the patches. Biggest enemy of Tejas is none but low production rate.

Low production rate follow the PATHETIC order volumes.

Expecting anything about 8/year with just 40 jet stream ordered is insane.

Deal for 83 MK1A is still nowhere to be seen but you’re expecting HAL (and more importantly
It’s suppliers many of whom have shareholders) to invest in building up capacity to ramp up production based on what?

I got it from here... https://theprint.in/defence/behind-...s-10-concessions-given-to-fighter-jet/208549/

HAL has not proven they churn out products on target... that has always been the problem.
seriously? Why trust anything the Indian mainstream media has to say in this project let alone the print?

From the outset these traitors have been running a campaign against the LCA either accidentally because of ignorance or with explicit malicious intent.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
MK-1A is more like an upgrade programme bit on the lines of what is done during MLU and rest on lines of what is done for an incremental upgrade. Not much of a challenge.

Still many of the requirements have been proved already. AESA and SPJ integration are pending only. However, HAL having integrated EL-2052 on Jaguar does not leave much for doubting. I wonder if IAF had asked for a prototype of Jaguar UPG before signing a final contract with HAL. The probable Ans is no. So IAF should also apply the same for Tejas MK-1A.

HAL needs lead time of at least 3 years to produce first Tejas MK-1A. HAL needs that time to place an order for subsystems. And to keep Tier1/2/3 interested the order should be of good volume.
Low production rate follow the PATHETIC order volumes.

Expecting anything about 8/year with just 40 jet stream ordered is insane.

Deal for 83 MK1A is still nowhere to be seen but you’re expecting HAL (and more importantly
It’s suppliers many of whom have shareholders) to invest in building up capacity to ramp up production based on what?
Forget Mark 1A! That deal might be even inked in 2020. It's going to happen. Guaranteed. HAL should have kept ramping up production... because when that order is placed, their capacity to build would still be 8 per year.
(..Or, if i'm wrong, then they plan to slowly raise that capacity to a squadron per year by 2020 after which Mark 1A will start rolling out. Would save money.)

But why wasn't more FOC Tejas added to the present order? That's what bugs me...

Last edited:

cannonfodder

Country flag
Forget Mark 1A! That deal might be even inked in 2020. It's going to happen. Guaranteed. HAL should have kept ramping up production... because when that order is placed, their capacity to build would still be 8 per year.
(..Or, if i'm wrong, then they plan to slowly raise that capacity to a squadron per year by 2020 after which Mark 1A will start rolling out. Would save money.)

But why wasn't more FOC Tejas added to the present order? That's what bugs me...
There is self feeding loop here:
1. IAF is skeptical about HAL as integrator and does not place orders upfront
2. HAL commercially finds it unfeasible to increase production rate looking at orders.

Really MOD is supposed to be ice-breaker here; Parrikar kept project going proposing mk1a but there are no followup orders on Mk1 to keep available standard coming. Also, HAL has projected to increase production to 16/year (read more than 8/year looking at HAL track record :wink:) from 2019/2020. But I guess this year it will slower because of FOC standard agreement coming little later, things will be clear once HAL delivers first couple of FOC standard from October.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
seriously? Why trust anything the Indian mainstream media has to say in this project let alone the print?

From the outset these traitors have been running a campaign against the LCA either accidentally because of ignorance or with explicit malicious intent.
The media is free to be critical of whatever it finds of interest. As long as they are not making things up it is their right to do so.

HAL has been unable to meet mandated production schedules on both MKI and Tejas. For MKI they had to buy direct from Russia and for Tejas they had to outsource to private firms. They are actually going to outsource all of their projects as they are unable to keep costs down. Instead of fixing their inefficiencies they are handing the work to others.

abingdonboy

Country flag

Indeed, IAF should have ordered 80+ FOC, they can all be updated to MK1A standard later anyway so where was the drawback?

20+20 was a joke that ensured production rates were kept low, if not for this govt and Parrikar HAL would likely have never taken production up from 6-8/year as they had to keep the LCA line open until MWF/MK.2 was ready. MK.1A will serve as a good interim option.

HAL is targeting 16/year and they’ll get it by 2020/1 which will then be a SQN a year for a battered and depleting IAF, FOC numbers should’ve been higher.
The media is free to be critical of whatever it finds of interest. As long as they are not making things up it is their right to do so.

HAL has been unable to meet mandated production schedules on both MKI and Tejas. For MKI they had to buy direct from Russia and for Tejas they had to outsource to private firms. They are actually going to outsource all of their projects as they are unable to keep costs down. Instead of fixing their inefficiencies they are handing the work to others.
You’re complaining about HAL moving to the role of lead integrator and outsourcing parts to the private sector?? This is what many of us has been saying should happen for years.

How is this not a positive?

Anyway you seem to have your views stuck in the past, present day reality is very different. HAL just met its production target for this year and they are still ramping up, obviously capacity is increasing, what’s missing are the orders.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Indeed, IAF should have ordered 80+ FOC, they can all be updated to MK1A standard later anyway so where was the drawback?

20+20 was a joke that ensured production rates were kept low, if not for this govt and Parrikar HAL would likely have never taken production up from 6-8/year as they had to keep the LCA line open until MWF/MK.2 was ready. MK.1A will serve as a good interim option.

HAL is targeting 16/year and they’ll get it by 2020/1 which will then be a SQN a year for a battered and depleting IAF, FOC numbers should’ve been higher.

You’re complaining about HAL moving to the role of lead integrator and outsourcing parts to the private sector?? This is what many of us has been saying should happen for years.

How is this not a positive?

Anyway you seem to have your views stuck in the past, present day reality is very different. HAL just met its production target for this year and they are still ramping up, obviously capacity is increasing, what’s missing are the orders.
Maybe IAF didn't order more because the price for the Mk1 jumped from $23m to $41m, now they want $63m for the 1A. So in reality it is HAL's inability to run proper cost controls that is the real issue for further orders.

If HAL has to move its production to 3rd parties they become nothing more than a middle man holding company.

Global Defence

Articles