LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

cannonfodder

Country flag
2022 is too late a date. Improvements going into MK-1A has only one thing left that is AESA which is yet to be tested. LSP-8 is being converted into MK-1A TD as we speak. MK-1 production will be completed by 2020 end or 2021 begining with first 16 getting delivered by march and SP-21 by October 2019. logically it should not take that long.......I believe first production model will have its maiden flight in 2022. Not a prototype.
1. AESA radar
2. Gun certification
3. Weight reduction: landing gear
4. LRU placement to make maintenance friendly.
5. New Canopy requirement

Though 2022 still looks way too long for these things. I hope they will bring in changes progressively in MK1 without manufacturing line sitting idle.

Prashant12

Country flag
Desi radar for Tejas under trials, will be a game changer

Bengaluru: As the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas gears up to become meaner and more potent, a DRDO lab in Bengaluru has quietly developed a state-of-the-art Active Electronically Scanned Array Radar (AESAR), which once proven, will replace the Israeli radar currently integrated with the indigenous aircraft.
Called Utham, the radar is currently under evaluation trials and is scheduled to be fully integrated with Tejas for testing next month. Utham can track multiple targets simultaneously and also take high resolution pictures of enemy targets, which could be of help during reconnaissance missions.

Tejas currently flies with the EL/M 2052, an AESAR radar produced by Israeli firm ELTA, but Team Utham from LRDE (Electronics and Radar Development Establishment) is hopeful of getting its product on board.

“Ours is a multi-mode fire control radar where all three modes — air-to-air, air-to-sea and air-to-ground can be used,” said SS Nagaraj, LRDE director. “It is a current generation system. The performance is comparable with any modern radar in this class.” He said that the radar is currently in the evaluation phase.

A fully electronically scanned agile beam radar which uses transmit or receive module (TRM), Utham has features that allow the aircraft to boast of low probability of intercept and non-cooperative target recognition.

“It provides better situational awareness of the modern battlefield,” LRDE officials said. “It is capable of tracking multiple targets with high accuracy and is suitable for firing missiles and interleaved air-to-air, air-to-ground and air-to-sea modes for all terrain solution.”

Seshagiri D, Utham project director, said the radar’s final electronic integration on Tejas will happen next month, and that it will take about six months to prove all major modes of the radar.

The project was sanctioned in 2012 and a team of about 30 has been working on the project. The team has borrowed heavily from its experience of making the main radar on the indigenous Airborne Early Warning And Control System (AEWACS) Netra, the desi ‘Eye in the Sky’, and the Maritime Patrol radar.

“Utham has both detection and tracking mode and imaging mode,” Seshagiri said. “In the imaging mode, the radar, which uses a Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), is capable of taking high-resolution images of enemy assets. This is useful for recceing assets we need to bomb.”

Veeraraghvan, an LRDE scientist, said that in the inverse SAR surveillance mode, it can provide silhouettes of ships, which helps in identifying the kind of warship. “It shows various masts, different rotary structures et al to help identification,” he said.

Saleem Javed, another scientist, said that at present, the radar is flying on an executive jet, the Hawke-800 provided by Zephyr Aerospace, a Bengaluru-based firm. “Testing is happening at HAL airport,” he said. “Soon, it will be tested on the Tejas.”

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ll-be-a-game-changer/articleshow/68102616.cms

Rahul Singh

Country flag
1. AESA radar
2. Gun certification
3. Weight reduction: landing gear
4. LRU placement to make maintenance friendly.
5. New Canopy requirement

Though 2022 still looks way too long for these things. I hope they will bring in changes progressively in MK1 without manufacturing line sitting idle.
While rest will be taken up though they are not that time consuming. Major design changes for weight won't happen because of complexities. Landing gears will see only minor changes in materials basically. Design will same more or less.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Seshagiri D, Utham project director, said the radar’s final electronic integration on Tejas will happen next month, and that it will take about six months to prove all major modes of the radar.
If so is the case then it will fall between neither too late nor too early. Had it come an year advance it would have got MK-1A. And if couple of years early then also Jagaur.

Anyway SU-30MKI will be up for AESA upgrade soo. So LRDE scale up present Uttam and offer it. They sould not miss this bus.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

Kaveri program will be closed..........................

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
remember this

or you want me to post many of your posts of such kind

Be realistic my friend
I am very much realistic. The problem is that these BS HAL which takes 5+ years to integrate an already integrated radar in other fighter to be replaced in Tejas and make few tweaks. Their lethargic work makes me unrealistic.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag

Kaveri program will be closed..........................
Better close it. These BS people do not either have guts to make it nor they have the management capability to make it happen. SAAB guys make GE 404 version at their own facility on licence. Atleast do that if you can not make your own. Russia would have happily assisted to make an upgraded venison of their RD 33, Britain has offered to co develop engine so as France but no decision is taken yet. We could have made Indian version of EJ 230 in collaboration with UK with 72 KN dry , 108 KN Wet with TWC.

proud_indian

Country flag
Better close it. These BS people do not either have guts to make it nor they have the management capability to make it happen. SAAB guys make GE 404 version at their own facility on licence. Atleast do that if you can not make your own. Russia would have happily assisted to make an upgraded venison of their RD 33, Britain has offered to co develop engine so as France but no decision is taken yet. We could have made Indian version of EJ 230 in collaboration with UK with 72 KN dry , 108 KN Wet with TWC.

.................................................................................................

Defcon 1

Country flag
Please note that IAF is not procuring from foreign vendor. Source & Destination of this 7 billion fund are same, Govt of India.

In such case, where the client & the vendor are govt agencies, rules prescribed by Finance Ministry neither mandate a minimum evaluation period nor prohibits the client to accept vendor's offer.

It's clear that IAF is trying to create hurdles in procurement of LCA Mk 1A.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk
Please help me understand how is it clear that IAF is trying to create hurdles in procurement of LCA Mk 1A.

Just please, prove it.

When I read such statements, I sometimes wish we had stronger infamy laws.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Bdw...I don't see the reason of mk1a first flight in 2023.....
The radar testing is going on...ifr completed ,derby completed.......

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Fantastic! 2x CCMs + 2x BVRAAM + 2x ASM + 1x Supersonic Drop Tank. That's true Swing Role weapon load configuration for a light fighter.

Also, with Brahmos NG weighing 1500 Kg, it is now confirmed that max. load per station has gone upwards of 1500 for inner board stations from an earlier rating of 1200 kgs. That's how you evolve a platform whose design is in your hand.

BTW where is @Sancho the resident Pappu of Tejas threads. Who used to say Tejas is not Swing Role and other gems of his utter ignorance.

It is easier to rate the inner board stations for plus 1500 kg combat loads. Apparently, which has already been done.
Hi, All,

our resident experts are now hanging on the coat tails of few TWITTER handles, trying hard to ignore this game changing , swing role configuration of,

2x CCMs + 2x BVRAAM + 2x ASM + 1x Supersonic Drop Tank.

There is a saying in Tamil, "WORLD DOESN'T BECOME DARK , IF A CAT CLOSES IT EYES". i JST CANT STOP LAUGHING MY ASS OFF,,,,

now tejas doesnt even need to cross our borders to deliver a stinging blow on the enemy assets.

Just like HAL mated Brahmos with SU 30 MKI, this pairing of Brahmos NG with tejas changes everything.

that shows us the importance of having source design calculations, that facilitates conferring such game changing specs at no extra cost.

NO MNC fighter maker will give this capability at this lifecyle , upgradation cost.

it takes IAF to another level.

Kudos team Tejas

Saichand K

Country flag
Hi, All,

our resident experts are now hanging on the coat tails of few TWITTER handles, trying hard to ignore this game changing , swing role configuration of,

2x CCMs + 2x BVRAAM + 2x ASM + 1x Supersonic Drop Tank.

There is a saying in Tamil, "WORLD DOESN'T BECOME DARK , IF A CAT CLOSES IT EYES". i JST CANT STOP LAUGHING MY ASS OFF,,,,

now tejas doesnt even need to cross our borders to deliver a stinging blow on the enemy assets.

Just like HAL mated Brahmos with SU 30 MKI, this pairing of Brahmos NG with tejas changes everything.

that shows us the importance of having source design calculations, that facilitates conferring such game changing specs at no extra cost.

NO MNC fighter maker will give this capability at this lifecyle , upgradation cost.

it takes IAF to another level.

Kudos team Tejas
With the new supersonic drop tank, what do you think the combat radius of Tejas will be ?

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Hurray! As I had said earlier about wingtip stations. It is confirmed now. Plus one more station underneath Port air intake. That's 11 hardpoints in total. More than what Gripen E has.

I remember a time on this forum , when a few guys kept repeating, a light weight fighter like Tejas wont even get multi ejector rack,,,,,,,,,,,,:laugh::laugh:

had to argue for pages that multi ejector racks are not patented tech of medium fighters,,,

Now after seeing 11 weapon stations, I dont know what these guys are gonna say,

3300 KG internal fuel,
7 to 7.5 ton empty weight,
6.5 ton weapon load,
17.5 ton MTOW,
98 Kn engine
means it will better mirage 2000 on all counts, from above specs, to wing loading, thrust to weight ratio, lower frontal clean config RCS, ITR, STR, OBOGs, , etc, etc

not to say a word about AESA, class leading BVRs, WVRs with HMDS combo, IRST, intertnal EW with DRFM based AESA jammers,

fantastic load out option, combat range, etc, etc,

just a shade below rafale,,,,

All ADA needed was

just two canards,

1.5 meter extra length fuselage,,,

&

a 15 KN extra thrust engine,,,

Since wing loading & design load out is similar to tejas mk1 , development of fly by wire software need not be a complicated, start from scratch affair. Just tweaking for canards

That why I always maintained tejas design is future proof,

Once GTRE SAFRAN certifies kaveri engine with what ever thrust level,

if IAF thinks on its toes,

It can easily chart a mirage 2000 to Mirage 4000 plot for this mk2 platform.

So much potential,,,

Last edited:

Global Defence

Articles