LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

astransastra

Country flag
Irrespective of it's fare share of accidents f35 considered to be the best but without accident also Indian platforms not trusted by our air forces. Always want to test test test. This insanity not even left for Ruston drone.
I think F-35 crash happened while testing a feature called "Vertical Landing"...which is probably a 6th generation feature and would make F-35 a 5.5 gen if incorporated with stability.

skunk works

Country flag
I am not saying f35 is bad or neither saying tejas is best. What I am saying is every platform is not perfect and mature over time. IAF and army does not have an issue with any non perfect foreign platform by the time of inducting gant or mig 21 they are not fully capable but they acquired them in huge nos. But always skeptic about indian platforms from marut, tejas or rustom.
That is true, they want a perfect product on day 1 without investing a paisa in it, expecting OEM to do multiple rounds of testing for years and years.
No one but PSU can afford that, and that's why we don't have domestic MIC.
Army and IAF have this cringe attitude, not the navy though.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
I think F-35 crash happened while testing a feature called "Vertical Landing"...which is probably a 6th generation feature and would make F-35 a 5.5 gen if incorporated with stability.
Either you are being sarcastic or are misinformed, VTOL capability in a plane like F-35 is nothing new, many aircrafts in the past have had the ability to land & take-off vertically, one of the most popular example of such an aircraft is the Harrier.

British-Royal-Air-Force-International-Tattoo-Harrier-July-17-2006.jpg

Such capability is not something of "sixth-generation".

astransastra

Country flag
Either you are being sarcastic or are misinformed, VTOL capability in a plane like F-35 is nothing new, many aircrafts in the past have had the ability to land & take-off vertically, one of the most popular example of such an aircraft is the Harrier.
As you can see, i am a newbie and was glad to be corrected by knowledgeable members, and figured the feature existed in Harrier from 1960s. Now in retrospective i do find my comments would serve well to be sarcastic for F-35 development team :devil:

SilentlAssassin265

Country flag

NutCracker

Country flag
Is there really a chance, I mean UK has already publically stated that they wont allow service for any of their components to Argentina.
We are already working on replacements.
Radome already made. Working on refueling probe and seats . If seats delayed Russian 0-0 seats are there

standard snowball

Country flag
Is there really a chance, I mean UK has already publically stated that they wont allow service for any of their components to Argentina.
like nutcracker said we are already working on replacment of those british parts and if i am not wrong work on an indigenious radome is already in advanced stages.

work on an indigenious radome is also progressing steadily

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...-refuelling-at-night/articleshow/65466539.cms

also lets not forget that argentinian politicians don't seem to be in a mood to spend money on defence procurments and this fighter jet acquisition is going to take a really long time

abingdonboy

Country flag
Ukraine war has basically killed our potential order for additional Su30MKI and Mig29. Has IAF given any counter proposal to order 40 MK1A in their place?
It’s too late now really. Already IAF has turned their attention to (killing off) LCA MK.2 so MK.1A production has to end in 2028-30. If they want more MK1A within the same timeframes HAL would have to scale up production >16/year

a) there’s not much evidence the IAF can absorb more than 16-18/year
b) such upscaling would take a few years to achieve and given there aren’t even talks ongoing for such nor has a contract been signed the it’s not feasible within the timeframe

the horse has bolted for additional MK1A unless the IAF decides to pull the ultimate backstab move (nothing is impossible for Indian military procurement)- state how happy they are with the MK1A, order 40 more post 2028, use this as an excuse to basically kill off the MK.2 and then reiterate their need for a MMRCA to ‘balance’ the fleet between SU-30s and LCA

abingdonboy

Country flag
That is true, they want a perfect product on day 1 without investing a paisa in it, expecting OEM to do multiple rounds of testing for years and years.
No one but PSU can afford that, and that's why we don't have domestic MIC.
Army and IAF have this cringe attitude, not the navy though.
100%

private companies who are accountable to a board/shareholders need dependable consistent cash flows and the ability to forecast reliably their order books in the short/medium/long term. The Indian military procurement circus allows for none of this

listen to the comments by L&T’s leadership:
This is reiterated pretty much every time Indian private players in defence comment

It blows my mind that almost every other government ministry can get on top of this and many are dealing with budgets on par with the MoD. The railways for instance is able to write, float and close tenders within 2-3 years now worth billions and this applies both in a IDDM and buy (global) context. Look at Vance Bharat trains and the recent 9000HP freight train tender that Siemens won.

it’s an absolute disgrace that almost 9 years into their term NDA/PMO have not been able to get to grips on this circus and bring it to heel. That too after some of the most dynamic of strategic/tactical circumstances in recent years (Pathankot,Pulwama, Doklam, Galwan etc).

SilentlAssassin265

Country flag
It’s too late now really. Already IAF has turned their attention to (killing off) LCA MK.2 so MK.1A production has to end in 2028-30. If they want more MK1A within the same timeframes HAL would have to scale up production >16/year

a) there’s not much evidence the IAF can absorb more than 16-18/year
b) such upscaling would take a few years to achieve and given there aren’t even talks ongoing for such nor has a contract been signed the it’s not feasible within the timeframe

the horse has bolted for additional MK1A unless the IAF decides to pull the ultimate backstab move (nothing is impossible for Indian military procurement)- state how happy they are with the MK1A, order 40 more post 2028, use this as an excuse to basically kill off the MK.2 and then reiterate their need for a MMRCA to ‘balance’ the fleet between SU-30s and LCA
Till that time it will become mmrca 3.0 and porkies will be getting 5th gen jet from china if their somehow survive.
MOD and PM has to weigh in here directly I hope someone writes them a letter regarding this issue

abingdonboy

Country flag
Till that time it will become mmrca 3.0 and porkies will be getting 5th gen jet from china if their somehow survive.
MOD and PM has to weigh in here directly I hope someone writes them a letter regarding this issue
In the late 2020s/2030s F35 will be heavily pitched to india, this will encourage the IAF to float a NG-MRFA contest I’m sure of it.

this circus will never end with these clowns running the show

Roland55

Country flag
like nutcracker said we are already working on replacment of those british parts and if i am not wrong work on an indigenious radome is already in advanced stages.

work on an indigenious radome is also progressing steadily

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...-refuelling-at-night/articleshow/65466539.cms

also lets not forget that argentinian politicians don't seem to be in a mood to spend money on defence procurments and this fighter jet acquisition is going to take a really long time
This, it's a thing of compromise, if argentina selects Tejas, HAL will work on solutions for thr components (or to the spec of what the FAA wants) meanwhile it's just a proposal.

And yeah, argentine politicians don't seem very interested on spending on defense, although the recent purchases by Colombia and Brazil might influence a future purchase to keep balance in the region.

_merlin_

Country flag
100%

private companies who are accountable to a board/shareholders need dependable consistent cash flows and the ability to forecast reliably their order books in the short/medium/long term. The Indian military procurement circus allows for none of this

listen to the comments by L&T’s leadership:
This is reiterated pretty much every time Indian private players in defence comment

It blows my mind that almost every other government ministry can get on top of this and many are dealing with budgets on par with the MoD. The railways for instance is able to write, float and close tenders within 2-3 years now worth billions and this applies both in a IDDM and buy (global) context. Look at Vance Bharat trains and the recent 9000HP freight train tender that Siemens won.

it’s an absolute disgrace that almost 9 years into their term NDA/PMO have not been able to get to grips on this circus and bring it to heel. That too after some of the most dynamic of strategic/tactical circumstances in recent years (Pathankot,Pulwama, Doklam, Galwan etc).
I suspect there is no money for this given the massive amounts of money being poured into infrastructure and welfare schemes (free food until 2023 end which will no doubt be extended beyond the 2024 elections with some excuse, etc.).

abingdonboy

Country flag
I suspect there is no money for this given the massive amounts of money being poured into infrastructure and welfare schemes (free food until 2023 end which will no doubt be extended beyond the 2024 elections with some excuse, etc.).
The free food scheme ended on Dec 31 2022

Global Defence

New threads

Articles