LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Impossible!
Highly possible, there are 3 assembly lines already setup for the production of LCA Tejas which together can build 20 jets/year(8+4+8) at full capacity.
The production of 16 IOC and 16 FOC jets is nearly complete, I guess only 1 FOC jet needs to be built or has already been built and is in flight testing.
The 3rd assembly line was inaugurated a day after the Tejas Mk1A order was placed, that was almost 1.5 years ago.
Tejas Mk1 FOC and Tejas Mk1A do not differ structurally, Mk1A is an avionics upgrade over the Mk1 FOC, if all those subsystems have been delivered to HAL, integrating them into the jet is no rocket science which will take ages.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Highly possible, there are 3 assembly lines already setup for the production of LCA Tejas which together can build 20 jets/year(8+4+8) at full capacity.
The production of 16 IOC and 16 FOC jets is nearly complete, I guess only 1 FOC jet needs to be built or has already been built and is in flight testing.
The 3rd assembly line was inaugurated a day after the Tejas Mk1A order was placed, that was almost 1.5 years ago.
Tejas Mk1 FOC and Tejas Mk1A do not differ structurally, Mk1A is an avionics upgrade over the Mk1 FOC, if all those subsystems have been delivered to HAL, integrating them into the jet is no rocket science which will take ages.
All foc built , i think trainers are being manufactured

MirageBlue

Country flag
Btw, this handle never cites source. So a bit doubtful.
Yes indeed. Most often he just takes 1-2 lines from an article or report and posts without giving the original author or source any credit. That is very very unprofessional.

And sometimes he just posts one liners that are completely unverified and can't be substantiated.

abingdonboy

Country flag

If this is true naacho bc
Only listen to official sources (HAL and IAF or those reporting their words), there’s been enough disappointments with pro creating false expectations

that said to be able to deliver to the IAF by March 2024 at some point in 2023 the first MK1A will have to roll out to do that some MK1A airframes have to be under production as of today.

what’s weird is that HAL haven’t mentioned when the MK1As got on the jig nor have they given many updates on the SPTs

since ~SP27 they’ve gone pretty silent on production activities

MonaLazy

If this is true naacho bc
Yes indeed. Most often he just takes 1-2 lines from an article or report and posts without giving the original author or source any credit. That is very very unprofessional.

And sometimes he just posts one liners that are completely unverified and can't be substantiated.
There is reason for cautious optimism. Guys with inside sources like this handle that predicted the Mk2 announcement also endorses it

More or less by the end of year.

Now if you factor in the original timeline, Mk1As are supposed to start delivering by March 2024. So moving that forward to October - December 2023 ie advancing the schedule by 3-6 months is not unthinkable and nothing out of the ordinary.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Wait
So they are taking about delivery of 10 mk1 trainers
But what does it mean first lot does it mean 10 trainers to be delivered by March 2023 or beginning of delivery
Actually, a total of 18 trainers are on order, 8 Mk1 FOC trainers from the order of 40 Tejas aircraft and 10 Mk1 FOC trainers from the Tejas Mk1A order.
Also, a separate assembly line was opened up to produce these 18 trainers and from what I know production of these 18 trainers will be wrapped up before production of the 73 Tejas Mk1A begins.
So either the ACM is talking about delivery of 8 trainers by Q1 and Q2 2023 or of all 18 trainer aircraft since Tejas Mk1A induction is also to begin next year.

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Actually, a total of 18 trainers are on order, 8 Mk1 FOC trainers from the order of 40 Tejas aircraft and 10 Mk1 FOC trainers from the Tejas Mk1A order.
Also, a separate assembly line was opened up to produce these 18 trainers and from what I know production of these 18 trainers will be wrapped up before production of the 73 Tejas Mk1A begins.
So either the ACM is talking about delivery of 8 trainers by Q1 and Q2 2023 or of all 18 trainer aircraft since Tejas Mk1A induction is also to begin next year.
I personally think they should give follow on orders when they start receiving mk1a
I know it's usually given after completion but or requirement is very urgent
If iaf is serious then they should give follow on and increase production rate to 40-45 by establishing other lines

DivineLight

Did they deliver all of MK1 that IAF ordered?
I didn't check the news recently. Would like to know what was the last one they deliver to IAF.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Did they deliver all of MK1 that IAF ordered?
I didn't check the news recently. Would like to know what was the last one they deliver to IAF.
All 32 jets, 16 single-seat IOC and 16 single-seat FOC have been built.
All 16 IOC jets and 14 out of the 16 FOC jets have been delivered to the IAF, the remaining 2 are undergoing pre-delivery tests before delivery to the IAF.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
I personally think they should give follow on orders when they start receiving mk1a
I know it's usually given after completion but or requirement is very urgent
If iaf is serious then they should give follow on and increase production rate to 40-45 by establishing other lines
Agreed, but the production of 40-45 jets/year would be of no use if IAF cannot induct anything beyond 16-20 jets/year.
IAF's infrastructure buildup to induct these jets into their active squadrons or raise new squadrons should be equally as fast.
This would result in piling up of finished aircraft at HAL's production facilities and maintaining these jets is an expensive ordeal which will either have to be financed by HAL or IAF.

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Agreed, but the production of 40-45 jets/year would be of no use if IAF cannot induct anything beyond 16-20 jets/year.
IAF's infrastructure buildup to induct these jets into their active squadrons or raise new squadrons should be equally as fast.
This would result in piling up of finished aircraft at HAL's production facilities and maintaining these jets is an expensive ordeal which will either have to be financed by HAL or IAF.
Then iaf should do the needful and place orders too
Are they serious to fight war with current fleet
If they are then they should have done it earlier if not then problem is in their attitude

Javelin_Sam

Country flag
Then iaf should do the needful and place orders too
Are they serious to fight war with current fleet
If they are then they should have done it earlier if not then problem is in their attitude
The capex and opex of IAF doesn't allow the induction of 45 jets per year. Even if money comes magically somehow, trained manpower-both air and ground crew cannot be built overnight. This is not a video game

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles