LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

omaebakabaka

I am an onlooker from afar (not Indian, do not know India).

Genuine question. Something I have never really understood is hearing that import lobbies undermine Tejas to make space for imports. If anyone would care to enlighten me, why do such lobbies exist?
Seriously do not know India or not visited it? -- where are you from, may I ask?

cannonfodder

Country flag
Of course you may ask. UK citizen but have spent many years in France, Portugal, Tunisia. Of course I would very much like to visit India. I was planning to move from England to France but the UK leaving the EU put paid to that.
101 Indian defence:

Traditionally India has been import dependent on Rus/France/XXX for aircrafts, also other defence equipments. As soon any local products comes to fruction, some media house starts publishing how bad / useless it is, along with comparison with others. Along with that we see how great the competition is. Then a token order is thrown and main chunk of order goes to competition. Local manufacturers are kept high & dry: middle men and politicians make a living for generations. Media guys get their cut.

This is how story has run atleast for half decade I have been on the forum. Of course the local products are really not as good as foreign competition but most of the articles are pure hit jobs with wrong comparisons.

no smoking

Country flag
How you use Plane is depend on you But its Most advanced Plane in IAF fleet after Rafale (which are not completely operational yet)
So Best in a way .
No, how you use plane depends on what the plane is designed for.
A modern farrari technically better than any truck built in last 80s or 90s. But when you consider a motor vehicle to do transporting work, you will definitely choose the latter at any time.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag

Genuine question. Something I have never really understood is hearing that import lobbies undermine Tejas to make space for imports. If anyone would care to enlighten me, why do such lobbies exist?
Actually their are some people with a mindset that indian made items can't perform well , in any domain , some are bureaucrat , some are in forces , they effect decision making , pitch imported product over indigenous ones , try to sabotage indigenous product , some are in media ,who portray different product as best ,some are like little kids attracted to shiny toys ,but a lot of them are shilling for a particular company , let's say LM , so every fighter from LM is like silver bullet for them , some pitch for gripen specifically , not on specs comparison but due to bribe the get.

These worthless creature are the reason ,where we stand , lot of them are now being kicked hard in their balls , others are yet to.

Their entire existence is baesd on compromised system we had after independence for decades , things are quite sorted now , but still long way to go .

It's not DRDO can't deveolp good product ,look at the akash ng ,it will either match up or surpass BARAK 8 , thing is either they are given specs as such that the product can be declined or can't match up with foreign product , even tejas matches gripen c model a d mk 1a will be better than that ,but deal was postponed so much that we are here .
Our astra bvr is on par with aim 120 c and it's other equivalent , and astra mk 2 will surpass aim 120 d , also sfdr ( meteor type ) missile is projected as a indigenous meteor , our tank arjun was good enough or atleast on par with Russian ones but faced kickbacks , if deal would have signed earlier we would had our next gen mbt in trials , our jet trainers were ditched and what not

Flying Dagger

Country flag
No, how you use plane depends on what the plane is designed for.
A modern farrari technically better than any truck built in last 80s or 90s. But when you consider a motor vehicle to do transporting work, you will definitely choose the latter at any time.
Go Corona Go

Don't spread Chinese virus of stupidity here

There is no Ferrari here to talk abt nor it's a Chinese junkyard for you to pop with meaningless trash.

Tejas is a workhorse created for the purpose and is going to successfully replace Migs Jags Mirage etc.

Tang

Country flag
Su is our mistake in such a huge number to be honest... It's huge RCS is a disadvantage.

The only good thing is we can use it as a bomb truck , to launch brahmos , and as mini AWACS if we can get a AESA radar. Also huge missiles can be loaded in it to act against AWACS of enemy.

If we hadn't bought so many of these machines Rafale or Su 57 are much better replacement.

It all depends on the strategy IAF employ to use them later. We can definitely replace radar ew suite etc but engine will be russian .
Bullshit

What is the RCS of F15, is all F15 useless for USAF.

Please think before speaking.

VikingGod

Country flag
Bullshit

What is the RCS of F15, is all F15 useless for USAF.

Please think before speaking.
Its not Main strike Fighter of US Air Force , F-35 & F-16 are core strength of US air force . F-15 is old brigade .

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag

Because arms companies give monies and some "cough ,cough " you know what I mean, honey trap etc to lobby for them in defence ministry .
May be some joint secretary or some special secretary etc lobby or try to hamper the movement of these projects , or someone from the finance commision or from enforcement directorate or from IB or from CBI or from n number of agencies lobby and finally , the procurement committee of the armed forces themselves might ve in collusion with foreign companies to disregard local solutions.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
101 Indian defence:

Traditionally India has been import dependent on Rus/France/XXX for aircrafts, also other defence equipments. As soon any local products comes to fruction, some media house starts publishing how bad / useless it is, along with comparison with others. Along with that we see how great the competition is. Then a token order is thrown and main chunk of order goes to competition. Local manufacturers are kept high & dry: middle men and politicians make a living for generations. Media guys get their cut.

This is how story has run atleast for half decade I have been on the forum. Of course the local products are really not as good as foreign competition but most of the articles are pure hit jobs with wrong comparisons.
Basic problem is kickbacks. In India domestic manufacturers are considered useless and whatever has Made in USA tag is the best, MKU and Tonbo imaging both were ignored by the army and when the army saw NATO forces using MKU and Tonbo products then they came to know its an Indian company and started getting orders.

SavageKing456

Country flag

They not only propagate against tejas but any major indigenous project.Motive could be either to stop India from becoming self-reliant so as they keep buying foreign defense equipments and the lobby's country gains from the contract or they don't want India to be at par as them in defense exports in global market.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Actually their are some people with a mindset that indian made items can't perform well , in any domain , some are bureaucrat , some are in forces , they effect decision making , pitch imported product over indigenous ones , try to sabotage indigenous product , some are in media ,who portray different product as best ,some are like little kids attracted to shiny toys ,but a lot of them are shilling for a particular company , let's say LM , so every fighter from LM is like silver bullet for them , some pitch for gripen specifically , not on specs comparison but due to bribe the get.

These worthless creature are the reason ,where we stand , lot of them are now being kicked hard in their balls , others are yet to.

Their entire existence is baesd on compromised system we had after independence for decades , things are quite sorted now , but still long way to go .

It's not DRDO can't deveolp good product ,look at the akash ng ,it will either match up or surpass BARAK 8 , thing is either they are given specs as such that the product can be declined or can't match up with foreign product , even tejas matches gripen c model a d mk 1a will be better than that ,but deal was postponed so much that we are here .
Our astra bvr is on par with aim 120 c and it's other equivalent , and astra mk 2 will surpass aim 120 d , also sfdr ( meteor type ) missile is projected as a indigenous meteor , our tank arjun was good enough or atleast on par with Russian ones but faced kickbacks , if deal would have signed earlier we would had our next gen mbt in trials , our jet trainers were ditched and what not
Because arms companies give monies and some "cough ,cough " you know what I mean, honey trap etc to lobby for them in defence ministry .
May be some joint secretary or some special secretary etc lobby or try to hamper the movement of these projects , or someone from the finance commision or from enforcement directorate or from IB or from CBI or from n number of agencies lobby and finally , the procurement committee of the armed forces themselves might ve in collusion with foreign companies to disregard local solutions.
Thanks for the insights. And thanks to others for their insights..

Last edited:

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Russian Planes are masterpiece of Engineering but legs behind in Electronics which is becoming very important now a days. Russian planes are loosing their edge. Grippen is much better than any Russian plane than Su 57 to date. While talking on MMRCA competition, Ex Airforce chief (I do not know who he was exactly) had said that he had 2 choices only. First was Rafale and second was Grippen. Sab Grippen is a top class plane and emerged as conclusive winner in Red flag among the European nations.
Nearly all your message is BS. sorry Bro.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Gripen was never a choice at all. The competition was between Rafale and EF Typhoon. Gripen is more akin to Mirage 2k or MWF or even LCA than Rafale. And its crash record isn't confidence inspiring either.
The crash record is not so important : the plane was at the beginning of its life.
Gripen is a light fighter, and MMRCA requested a medium fighter. It's as simple as that.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles