LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

sorcerer

Country flag
Self reliance: 1-in-2 Tejas fighters to have desi radar | India News - Times of India

BENGALURU: In a major boost to indigenous defence technologies, at least 51% of the 123 LCA Tejas fighters that will be inducted into the Indian Air Force (IAF) will have the desi Uttam radar, replacing Israeli radars that the first batch of aircraft will be equipped with.

Ghost hale

Country flag
Yes is definitely possible, but I can’t understand what problem MCDA had with an Israeli radar?
MBDA... I guess its more about competition as Israel is deep in US camp. France is nato ally but maybe business interest as US still don't have rival for meteor. Not sure.
Still not better than intergalactic fighter though...

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
MBDA... I guess its more about competition as Israel is deep in US camp. France is nato ally but maybe business interest as US still don't have rival for meteor. Not sure.
Anyway, we should then procure more Meteors, but then we should focus more on Astra.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
21st Tejas will be somewhere in 2025... integration timeline at least a year.. most probably we will have SFDR astra by then. We also don't know what number we have already.
Meterors are expensive af, hence I don’t think Airforce will buy a huge amount while Astra will be dirt cheap once mass production and mass procurement starts.

Ghost hale

Country flag
Meterors are expensive af, hence I don’t think Airforce will buy a huge amount while Astra will be dirt cheap once mass production and mass procurement starts.
Astra is not that cheap and u are comparing it to meteor. We need to see how much SFDR astra will cost.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Astra is not that cheap and u are comparing it to meteor. We need to see how much SFDR astra will cost.
When did I say Aastra is cheap or is equivalent of Meteor, I said Astra will be dirt cheap once mass production and mass procurement starts and whence Astra MK3 comes then we can say goodbye to meteor.

Ghost hale

Country flag
When did I say Aastra is cheap or is equivalent of Meteor, I said Astra will be dirt cheap once mass production and mass procurement starts and whence Astra MK3 comes then we can say goodbye to meteor.
I don't think so. Astra mk3 integration with rafale might not be allowed. astra right now 1.1 Mil i guess and meteor 2.5 mil euro. We will see once that comes up. long wait for now.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I don't think so. Astra mk3 integration with rafale might not be allowed. astra right now 1.1 Mil i guess and meteor 2.5 mil euro. We will see once that comes up. long wait for now.
Who is saying Rafale? Tejas and other indigenous aircrafts will form the bulk of IAF, I am talking about them. I don’t think our Rafale fleet will even cross 36-72 aircrafts.

Ghost hale

Country flag
Who is saying Rafale? Tejas and other indigenous aircrafts will form the bulk of IAF, I am talking about them. I don’t think our Rafale fleet will even cross 36-72 aircrafts.
114 MMRCA which fighter u expect then? this is separate thread i guess

Last edited:

Ghost hale

Country flag
I know but I think that 114 aircraft tender will be trashed.
Me too think that it will go down the biggest of BMC's potholes and make way for ORCA.
I would prefer 114 rafale as last foreign aircraft purchase deal to have it in substantial number. It is best(in my opinion) 4.5+ gen fighter and provide solid deterrent as will be the only battle tested platform for some time.

WarriorIndian

Country flag
I would prefer 114 rafale as last foreign aircraft purchase deal to have it in substantial number. It is best(in my opinion) 4.5+ gen fighter and provide solid deterrent as will be the only battle tested platform for some time.
ORCA would definitely be a better fighter than Rafale by both design and technology.

Ghost hale

Country flag
ORCA would definitely be a better fighter than Rafale by both design and technology.
We are comparing a unplanned fighter with a tested one which can help us neutralize Junk-20 for next 7-10 years. ORCA development will need time and further of platform maturity if finalized and developed.

WarriorIndian

Country flag
We are comparing a unplanned fighter with a tested one which can help us neutralize Junk-20 for next 7-10 years. ORCA development will need time and further of platform maturity if finalized and developed.
Its true we dont know anything about ORCA, but we know IAF, if they are going to invest in ORCA, I am sure they would want everything thats currently available on a Rafale and maybe even more making it the meanest bird in the neighborhood.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles