LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Chinmoy

Country flag
Can any one explain why only 2 Aircraft was available, as per IOC standards there should be 16 Aircraft why only two was available, If availability of aircraft goes this way, IAF can very well justify their 250 Rafales required to face all types of threats
See who is writing the article to understand the depth of it.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
See who is writing the article to understand the depth of it.
Bro can you confirm...
Are ioc aircraft s bvr capable now
Again any more info on astra with Tejas..
I can confirm from my side astra is in production,may be the 50lsp ordered are in production........
Again there was a news of mica firing from su30
Today a report says Rafale fired a missile in a test range ...

So confusion s .....

Chinmoy

Country flag
Bro can you confirm...
Are ioc aircraft s bvr capable now
Again any more info on astra with Tejas..
I can confirm from my side astra is in production,may be the 50lsp ordered are in production........
Again there was a news of mica firing from su30
Today a report says Rafale fired a missile in a test range ...

So confusion s .....
IOC Tejas are Derby equipped. So yes, they could fire BVR missiles.

No further info on Astra with Tejas apart from the taxi trials. But anyway even mass deployment of Astra with MKI would need couple of years as more and more refinement and documentation would come before that.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
IOC Tejas are Derby equipped. So yes, they could fire BVR missiles.

No further info on Astra with Tejas apart from the taxi trials. But anyway even mass deployment of Astra with MKI would need couple of years as more and more refinement and documentation would come before that.
Bro another question.....
Are derby er ordered......
Which has better range than i derby ....
How Tejas is going to fight with a 50km missile...
Tejas has a good radar ...so it will see jf17 first. .but won't able to fire the missile..with limited range.......

Chinmoy

Country flag
Tejas has a good radar ...so it will see jf17 first. .but won't able to fire the missile..with limited range.......
AFAIK Derby-ER is not been ordered till now. Even if its ordered, it would first go into MKIs rather then Tejas.

50 km is not a small range when compared with operational deployment. Even with Astra, you can't exect to launch it at a target which is 90kms away.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
AFAIK Derby-ER is not been ordered till now. Even if its ordered, it would first go into MKIs rather then Tejas.

50 km is not a small range when compared with operational deployment. Even with Astra, you can't exect to launch it at a target which is 90kms away.
Still the range gives a confidence....
Meteor can't shoot a target at 150 km Every time .. still it gives the assurance...

Flying Dagger

Country flag
1. What's the longest BVR hit in the world so far ?

2. We have Derby and R-73/74 already on it. ASRAAM will join the party too.

Derby also means Derby ER can be integrated with not much fuss.

Trial on Tejas will happen next year.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Tejas must be tested with Astra at earliest. With beyond 100km bvr range and low RCS it will keep each and every pakistani plain far away from border.
Tejas is getting Derby ER and trial will happen next year. It might be possible they have already started it or fast track it. Since Derby is already onboard and Elta 2052 is already integrated with it all we need to make sure is the airframe doesn't have any issue while launch. That will make it defacto missile of mk1a

Astra : it will be integrated with Su for sure question is whether they are going to wait for the upgrade or will start integrating it right away. I think they have already started working on it but then again there are almost 270+ aircraft.

Mig 29s will have it too. If I recall there was some article and post abt it.

Tejas : we need to ask HVT abt it what is going on..

Tejas will get Astra but to integrate it with the current MMR and then again on Mk1a is unnecessary . We may have started working on Astra integration with Elta 2052 already with Israel onboard for mk1a though.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Tejas is getting Derby ER and trial will happen next year. It might be possible they have already started it or fast track it. Since Derby is already onboard and Elta 2052 is already integrated with it all we need to make sure is the airframe doesn't have any issue while launch. That will make it defacto missile of mk1a

Astra : it will be integrated with Su for sure question is whether they are going to wait for the upgrade or will start integrating it right away. I think they have already started working on it but then again there are almost 270+ aircraft.

Mig 29s will have it too. If I recall there was some article and post abt it.

Tejas : we need to ask HVT abt it what is going on..

Tejas will get Astra but to integrate it with the current MMR and then again on Mk1a is unnecessary . We may have started working on Astra integration with Elta 2052 already with Israel onboard for mk1a though.
Bro , don't know where you got that derby er will be integrated with Tejas....
But astra is being integrated with Tejas...also @Chinmoy sir already confirmed that Tejas with astra is doing taxi trials......
So astra will be fired in coming days ......

So I don't see derby er with Tejas, though iaf can surprise us

Also want to clarify ,many believe that derby er is a part of spyder qrasam
But it's wrong.
Spyder qrsam has python 5 and i derby...

Flying Dagger

Country flag
But astra is being integrated with Tejas...also @Chinmoy sir already confirmed that Tejas with astra is doing taxi trials......

But it's wrong.
Yes you are right Indian spyder may not have Derby ER right now.

Derby ER can be fitted into existing spyder system but we haven't made any big purchase on Derby ER yet (unless done secretly)

Regarding the post abt Tejas doing taxi trial with Astra. I have read that post and remember it. Good if it's being done having said that Derby ER will be on it since Derby is already integrated on it.

Tejas mk1 without Derby ER doesn't make any sense specially now when we have gone forward to russia for Derby ER on Sukhoi.

There were articles confirming the trial nxt year in idrw ( not a trustworthy source ) but in current scenario very likely.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
More then the shooting range of Meteor, the ECM and ARC of Rafale gives more assurance to the pilots that each and every time Meteor is launched, it would perform a kill.

But it's wrong.
Yes you are right Indian spyder may not have Derby ER right now.

Derby ER can be fitted into existing spyder system but we haven't made any big purchase on Derby ER yet (unless done secretly)

Regarding the post abt Tejas doing taxi trial with Astra. I have read that post and remember it. Good if it's being done having said that Derby ER will be on it since Derby is already integrated on it.

Tejas mk1 without Derby ER doesn't make any sense specially now when we have gone forward to russia for Derby ER on Sukhoi.

There were articles confirming the trial nxt year in idrw ( not a trustworthy source ) but in current scenario very likely.
Technically a Tejas with Derby is still more lethal in BVR than a Mirage-2000 with Mica, Mig-29 with R-27 or Su-30 with R-77... The little thing will get closest before launching & that's what matters the most in BVR engagement.

Astra too well be effective only at 70-75k & Meteor at ±100km... At any range beyond that the kill probability it too low.

dumdumdum

Country flag
Does anyone have any insights on level activity @ HAL on FOC assembly line right now? Post lockdown have they resumed work? At what capacity ? What is the impact of this delay on FOC delivery schedule? When are subsequent FOC aircrafts going to roll out?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Does anyone have any insights on level activity @ HAL on FOC assembly line right now? Post lockdown have they resumed work? At what capacity ? What is the impact of this delay on FOC delivery schedule? When are subsequent FOC aircrafts going to roll out?
4 jets are at final stages waiting for rollout in September.
4 more in jigs. They were stuck with the latest clearance of centreline bomb carrying capacity. And they're was some unknown modification... maybe the gun or software modifications.

dumdumdum

Country flag
4 more in jigs. They were stuck with the latest clearance of centreline bomb carrying capacity. And they're was some unknown modification... maybe the gun or software modifications.
Great !! . Thanks for the update. So optimistically we could see 4 in Sept, another 4 in Dec/Jan and maybe if they pull out some rabbit out of their hat 4 by end of Financial year. That may not be a terrible outcome given Covid

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Thanks for update bro....

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Some inputs from my side
Subsystem s are with hal for atleast 4-5 aircraft s....
May be ada/hal is busy in putting a supersonic drop tank on Tejas...
And lsp 8 will have some structural modification... don't know the cause ,most probably for mk1a conversion

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Technically a Tejas with Derby is still more lethal in BVR than a Mirage-2000 with Mica, Mig-29 with R-27 or Su-30 with R-77... The little thing will get closest before launching & that's what matters the most in BVR engagement.

Astra too well be effective only at 70-75k & Meteor at ±100km... At any range beyond that the kill probability it too low.
Even at 70-75 km with Astra the kill probability is too low. Astra is medium range BVR that means under 50km with NEZ likely around 15-20 km . I'll rather count on an IR missile like ASRAAM/R74 to be more effective in ccm role.

Meteor -- 70-80 km, unless you are Targeting a drone /Transport/Tanker or Awacs or a Chinese fighter jet.

The effective range will be much lower in real scenario than the advertised one.

Another thing Tejas has low RCS yes but its not stealth so it will be identified anyway by an AESA equipped F-16 within strike range of its missiles.

But while a Su can jam
and dodge an Amraam easily it won't be the same for Tejas.

That's why Gripen NG has an advantage with meteor and offcourse Gan based Aesa radar ew suite and avionics.

One of the reason it was able to lock on with its bvr at Chinese Sukhoi 30 during the exercise but in wvr found itself wanting against Su.

So yes Derby ER is necessary for Tejas to be effective interceptor right now and we must go for it.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Even at 70-75 km with Astra the kill probability is too low. Astra is medium range BVR that means under 50km with NEZ likely around 15-20 km . I'll rather count on an IR missile like ASRAAM/R74 to be more effective in ccm role.

Meteor -- 70-80 km, unless you are Targeting a drone /Transport/Tanker or Awacs or a Chinese fighter jet.

The effective range will be much lower in real scenario than the advertised one.

Another thing Tejas has low RCS yes but its not stealth so it will be identified anyway by an AESA equipped F-16 within strike range of its missiles.

But while a Su can jam
and dodge an Amraam easily it won't be the same for Tejas.

That's why Gripen NG has an advantage with meteor and offcourse Gan based Aesa radar ew suite and avionics.

One of the reason it was able to lock on with its bvr at Chinese Sukhoi 30 during the exercise but in wvr found itself wanting against Su.

So yes Derby ER is necessary for Tejas to be effective interceptor right now and we must go for it.
Why just settle for Derby-ER? Meteor is an absolute necessity for LCA. Lets go for that instead.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles