Kolkata Class Destroyers Update

Defcon 1

Country flag
Indian media reported that India took 10 years to build a destroyer. Why is it being delayed even Israel/Ukraine/Russia etc are helping the project and providing their technology?
The destroyer is ready now and it is entering services. Only SAMs on it are not installed since they are still under development.

Eastman

Country flag
Indian media reported that India took 10 years to build a destroyer. Why is it being delayed even Israel/Ukraine/Russia etc are helping the project and providing their technology?
The Hull and the gear box of a ship is the most complicated part to make in a ship :truestory:

HMS Astute

The article itself confirms what I have said. The destroyer is ready but its SAM is not. Read it yourself
But the 7,500 ton warship - intended as the country's biggest and most powerful guided missile-destroyer -is missing basic weaponry, which leaves it virtually defenseless against incoming missiles and submarines. One of its primary weapons, a long-range Israel-built surface-to-air missile called the Barak NG is still being developed, which means the INS Kolkata is vulnerable to attacks from enemy missiles.
What does that even mean? The destroyer is ready and entering service with the IN, but it is not fully operational due to lack of basic weaponry? No idea what points the reporter is trying to make.

rohit b3

Country flag
Simply because they hadnt been using Modular construction. On asking my relative, who is an ex-employee of GRSE, he told me that its extremely hard to do all kinds of outfitting in these compact Hulls after the ship is launched. Especially in these hot Indian summers, there have been cases of workers even passing out during the welding work inside the cramped rooms of the hull.
Anyways, MDL,GRSE and offcourse CSL have been incorporated with modular construction and that should cut down the shipbuilding time to half.

Defcon 1

Country flag
What does that even mean? The destroyer is ready and entering service with the IN, but it is not fully operational due to lack of basic weaponry? No idea what points the reporter is trying to make.
Basically the destroyer is ready. It can perform every function apart from defending against aircraft and missiles, which happens only in wartime. So while the destroyer will be commenced for normal operations, it is still not ready for war. The surface to air missiles will be installed on it sometime around 2017. Then it will be completely war ready.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Do you know what weapons have been fitted on this destroyer?
Anti ship missile Brahmos, Anti submarine rockets and torpedoes and it has CIWS and Barak I short range SAM for air-defence. Also it has a 76 mm gun. Longer range anti aircraft missile Barak 8 will be installed sometime around 2017, then it will be fully ready.

HMS Astute

Anti ship missile Brahmos, Anti submarine rockets and torpedoes and it has CIWS and Barak I short range SAM for air-defence. Also it has a 76 mm gun. Longer range anti aircraft missile Barak 8 will be installed sometime around 2017, then it will be fully ready.
It is fully armed then. It only lacks medium/long range guided SAM missiles. I'd say it is ready for deployment.

Defcon 1

Country flag
It is fully armed then. It only lacks medium/long range guided SAM missiles. I'd say it is ready for deployment.
No. Kolkata is a fleet defence ship. It is responsible for defending not only itself, but the entire fleet from aircraft and missile attacks. Lack of long range SAMs put the safety of not only the ship, but the whole fleet into jeopardy. So, it is still not ready for wartime deployment. At the same time, it is good enough for peacetime operations.

HMS Astute

Plus, I believe it will carry 1x or 2x helicopters armed with anti sub/ship torpedo missiles?

Btw, an interesting (or cheap?) self defence system of the Type 45 AAW Destroyer of the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Basically the destroyer is ready. It can perform every function apart from defending against aircraft and missiles, which happens only in wartime. So while the destroyer will be commenced for normal operations, it is still not ready for war. The surface to air missiles will be installed on it sometime around 2017. Then it will be completely war ready.
:rofl: Plis to give source for this.
-----------------------------------------------------
[tweet]500249426275737601[/tweet]

HMS Astute

Do you think this destroyer will get ABM or ABMD capability when fully armed in the future?

Defcon 1

Country flag
Do you think this destroyer will get ABM or ABMD capability when fully armed in the future?
All SAMs have capability to intercept missiles. But ABM or BMD is used against ballistic missiles which are always fired at large stationary targets like cities. Not ships. No ships are used for ABM purposes.

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
All SAMs have capability to intercept missiles. But ABM or BMD is used against ballistic missiles which are always fired at large stationary targets like cities. Not ships. No ships are used for ABM purposes.
I think you're wrong on this.
India don't need a ABM Destroyer like Kongo and Atago because we share land border with both of our adversaries.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles