Kolkata Class Destroyers Update

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Four N-boats (Arihant, Aridhaman, Chakra, second Akula lease) should be sufficient for now.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Six Arihant class boats were initially planned, now it seems the first two shall be built and the remaining shall be redesigned into larger SSBNs.

salute

delete ..............................................................................

rohit b3

Country flag
For those who did not understand my calculation above.
The Indian Navy will have 90 major combatants by 2030. (This is in line with our needs and similar to the numbers being planned by the Japanese).
3carriers
4LHDs
21destroyers
35frigates
14SSNs
6SSBNs
7-10SSKs
Mate, by 2025 , I see -
-10 Destroyers .3 Delhi Class, 3 Kolkata Class and 4 Vishakapatnam Class. The 5 Rajput Class would be retired, possibly against the last 5 Project 17A Frigates. Thats 40+ years of active service.

- 26 Frigates . 7 PRoject 17A , 3 Shivaliks, 3 Upgraded Talwars , The existing 6 Talwars , 3 Bramhaputra Class andd 4 Kamorta Class.

- 0 SSNs. They just sanctioned the developement of the Class. Construction wont begin before 2020 or so, with the first entering service after 2027.

- 6 SSBNs are possible i guess, by 2030.

- 12 SSKs - 6 Kalvaris and 6 Project75I.

Now i dont see how they would add 11 more Destroyers and 9 more Frigates between 2025-2030, i.e 5-6 years. Couple of SSNs are possible before 2030.

VOCvangoens

Should the Kolkata class destroyer possess a secondary SAM system alongside the BARAK 8 which is more effective at intermediate ranges? Moreover, the Chinese 052D type destroyer possesses the HQ-9 long-range SAM (claimed range of 200km) and my question relates to whether the Indian navy rejects long range SAM based upon doubts as to accuracy and reliability? Would the navy consider adopting a navalised ramjet version of the ASTRA missile in the future to provide longer-range capability?

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Mate, by 2025 , I see -
-10 Destroyers .3 Delhi Class, 3 Kolkata Class and 4 Vishakapatnam Class. The 5 Rajput Class would be retired, possibly against the last 5 Project 17A Frigates. Thats 40+ years of active service.

- 26 Frigates . 7 PRoject 17A , 3 Shivaliks, 3 Upgraded Talwars , The existing 6 Talwars , 3 Bramhaputra Class andd 4 Kamorta Class.

- 0 SSNs. They just sanctioned the developement of the Class. Construction wont begin before 2020 or so, with the first entering service after 2027.

- 6 SSBNs are possible i guess, by 2030.

- 12 SSKs - 6 Kalvaris and 6 Project75I.

Now i dont see how they would add 11 more Destroyers and 9 more Frigates between 2025-2030, i.e 5-6 years. Couple of SSNs are possible before 2030.
The numbers I quoted are as per the IN planned force levels for 2030. How they can be met is another story altogether.
As for the possibilities of them being met, the numbers quoted by you are according to the orders being undertaken by the public sector yards. Now add in the potential of an additional 4-5 private yards as well and the numbers planned by the navy are quite possible if proper haste is maintained.

The enlightened

Should the Kolkata class destroyer possess a secondary SAM system alongside the BARAK 8 which is more effective at intermediate ranges? Moreover, the Chinese 052D type destroyer possesses the HQ-9 long-range SAM (claimed range of 200km) and my question relates to whether the Indian navy rejects long range SAM based upon doubts as to accuracy and reliability? Would the navy consider adopting a navalised ramjet version of the ASTRA missile in the future to provide longer-range capability?
Intermediate range? That isn't a very clearly defined concept. For IN, B8 is a Long Range SAM. In that context, there is no need to waste additional space for 'medium' range SAM's as B8 also serves as a point defence SAM with a minimum engagement range of 500 metres.
For longer ranges a Barak-8ER is in development with a larger solid booster which would effectively double its range. There is an update that the present missile through further refinements has itself increased range of 90kms.
http://www.livefistdefence.com/2015...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Chinese cheap S-300 copies aren't comparable here. Barak-8 has a state of the art active seeker whereas HQ-9 relies on command guidance from the ship radar. Barak-8 has an endurance limit of 80G versus Chinese.......?

Last edited:

The enlightened

Would the navy consider adopting a navalised ramjet version of the ASTRA missile in the future to provide longer-range capability?
An Air-Air missiles advertised range includes launch from an aircraft at Mach speeds at an altitude generally over 10000ft. Land based versions always have far lower range so you are actually going backwards here
"In trials the CLAWS system demonstrated intercept ranges of over 15km."
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/surface-launched/

PS: 'ramjet version of the ASTRA missile'
Yeah we don't have plans to make an Indian Meteor yet.

SarkINPark

As someone stated it would be cheaper and more feasible to build an extremely strong anti-submarine warfare system. Whereas the question about how many ships should we have in total it would depend on our economic conditions and our defense budget because we can't just go on procuring costly ships but don't have the money to keep on upgrading and servicing them. Right now USA yes the USA is struggling to maintain a 300 ship navy with a monstrous defense budget of $652 billion. their navy gets an ass-whooping $149.9 billion 23.4% of their total defense budget and their navy if counted has more planes than chinese airforce and navy together. So I think it's more viable to invest in a good number of destroyers or having destroyers which are big and more powerful than the current generation ones and can take up a varied amount of tasks. whereas there's been a fault in arming our destroyers according to a certain number of analysts the Kolkata class destroyers are very good but not that armed the way it should have been for a ship of it's size. But, that's why we are building the Vishakapatnam class destroyers.

VOCvangoens

An Air-Air missiles advertised range includes launch from an aircraft at Mach speeds at an altitude generally over 10000ft. Land based versions always have far lower range so you are actually going backwards here

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/surface-launched/

PS: 'ramjet version of the ASTRA missile'
Yeah we don't have plans to make an Indian Meteor yet.
Thank you for enlightening me.

My notion of long range is around 200km+ like the RIM-67 standard (120km-185km), RIM-174 standard ERAM and the HQ-9.
Does the Indian navy plan to procure missiles of similar range as the BARAK 8ER has only been extended from 70km,
which I think is medium range, to 90km+?

European vessels such as the Daring and Horizon classes typically have both the Aster 15 (range: 1.7-30km), for point defence
, and the Aster 30 (range:3-120km), for area defence. Is the BARAK 8 equally effective at both
point-defence and area-defence-a kind of two-in-one system?

The enlightened

Thank you for enlightening me.

My notion of long range is around 200km+ like the RIM-67 standard (120km-185km), RIM-174 standard ERAM and the HQ-9.
Does the Indian navy plan to procure missiles of similar range as the BARAK 8ER has only been extended from 70km,
which I think is medium range, to 90km+?

European vessels such as the Daring and Horizon classes typically have both the Aster 15 (range: 1.7-30km), for point defence
, and the Aster 30 (range:3-120km), for area defence. Is the BARAK 8 equally effective at both
point-defence and area-defence-a kind of two-in-one system?
Barak-8ER range figures are floating around 150kms. That was before news of improved range of existing Barak-8 (70 > 90) came out.

70kms (or 90kms) works fine for area defence. The only thing lacking is Anti-Aircraft. In the US Navy, there are 3 specialized missiles for each anti-missile, anti-aircraft, anti-ballistic missile roles. SM-6 is pretty versatile though and may be used either way. So I'm not going to fault B8 for that. Its an excellent missile and very cheap and size-friendly. It can be launched in the direction of the attacker and the missile's radar will automatically acquire the target. There isn't any need for ship's FCR to track the target which frees up resources and also means those targets that are hidden behind the horizon can be engaged unlike Type-052D's HQ-9.

I are not sure of what the IN wants because it doesn't tell me. At present, for the upcoming destroyer/frigate programs i.e P-15B, P-17A there is no new information regarding new SAM's. B8 is itself new and in fact not yet integrated with Kolkata class.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Nice pics !!

Chinese pics seems better in this regard!

on 28th, IN held an event for the medias to introduce the coming INS Kochi..

5 images from ChinaNews Agency...as usual, IN only opened the front deck or Heli deck of a vessel to most of the media/Public.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

I can find the same pic's from Reuters too ...no idea who trolled

a sample picture with Reuters seal

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
I guess the biggest disadvantage is all four domes of the MF-STAR system being mounted on a single mast. A lucky shot on the mast will take out all four domes. In Arleigh-Burke class, four AN/SPY-1 domes are located on the diagonals (almost corners) of the superstructure, instead of a mast.

They didn't build the fore-mast of INS Visakhapatnam yet, so will they make that major revision?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles