Kolkata Class Destroyers Update

VOCvangoens

Barak-8ER range figures are floating around 150kms. That was before news of improved range of existing Barak-8 (70 > 90) came out.

70kms (or 90kms) works fine for area defence. The only thing lacking is Anti-Aircraft. In the US Navy, there are 3 specialized missiles for each anti-missile, anti-aircraft, anti-ballistic missile roles. SM-6 is pretty versatile though and may be used either way. So I'm not going to fault B8 for that. Its an excellent missile and very cheap and size-friendly. It can be launched in the direction of the attacker and the missile's radar will automatically acquire the target. There isn't any need for ship's FCR to track the target which frees up resources and also means those targets that are hidden behind the horizon can be engaged unlike Type-052D's HQ-9.

I are not sure of what the IN wants because it doesn't tell me. At present, for the upcoming destroyer/frigate programs i.e P-15B, P-17A there is no new information regarding new SAM's. B8 is itself new and in fact not yet integrated with Kolkata class.
I suppose the ideal modern air defence destroyer should possess a multi-layered defence
architecture with separate anti-aircraft and anti-missile (cruise and ballistic) SAM systems,
effective equally at both point-defence and area-defence, in addition to a modern CIWS system
which can address supersonic missiles like the Brahmos and the Yakhont as I feel that the
phalanx has been made obsolete by these developments. It ship could carry missiles
with a range of 150+km but if part of a carrier group early-warning and patrol aircraft
with anti-missile missiles would compensate.

Reactions: sob

The enlightened

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Shouldn't that be the Kolkata.
I suppose the ideal modern air defence destroyer should possess a multi-layered defence
architecture with separate anti-aircraft and anti-missile (cruise and ballistic) SAM systems,
effective equally at both point-defence and area-defence, in addition to a modern CIWS system
which can address supersonic missiles like the Brahmos and the Yakhont as I feel that the
phalanx has been made obsolete by these developments. It ship could carry missiles
with a range of 150+km but if part of a carrier group early-warning and patrol aircraft
with anti-missile missiles would compensate.
Well, ideally it should have LASER Air Defence, alongside anti-torpedo torpedoes, not to forget the frikin rail gun. Also a nuclear power plant but preferably renewable solar energy.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
How many missiles do kolkata class destroyer carry?

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
Prior to this India's biggest indigenously built warship was Jayalalitha
He says she is damn fighting cock....congress and bjp failed to defeat her..
She is soo big as size of war ship.

archie

Country flag
the size of the dome seems to be bigger such that one shot might not take out the entire system ..

archie

Country flag
Yes it may not.but it will damage the radar.
These phased array radar should be functional technically even if few modules in the array are damaged .. I'm guessing they would have some redundancy built in

Punya Pratap

Country flag
32 BARAK 8 SAMs and another 16 BRAHMOS Ashm/LACM
Compared to Type 52 D whose armaments are as follows Kolkatta is severely under powered:

• 1 × H/PJ-38 130mm dual purpose gun
  • 64 VLS
  • 2 × 30 mm remote controlled gun
  • 1 × H/PJ-12 CIWS
  • 1 × HHQ-10 short range SAM in 24-cell launcher
  • 6 torpedo tubes
  • 4 × 18-tube decoy rocket launcher
Kolkatta has the following armaments :
Armament:
  • Anti-air missiles:
  • 4 × 8-cell VLS, for a total of 32;[6][7]
  • Barak 8 missiles (Range: 0.5 km (0.31 mi) to 90 km (56 mi)[8])
  • Anti-ship/Land-attack missiles:
  • 2 × 8-cell UVLM for 16 BrahMos anti-ship and land-attack missiles[7][9]
  • Guns:
  • 1 × 76 mm gun Oto Melara SRGM
  • 4 × AK-630 CIWS
  • Anti-submarine warfare:
  • 4 × 533 mm Torpedo tubes
  • 2 × RBU-6000 anti-submarine rocket launchers
What we need is to develop a UVLS indigenously so that we can pack a formidable punch.

rohit b3

Country flag
To all our great pessimistic Indians.
Kolkata Class is undoubtedly the most balanced and advanced Destroyer on the planet right now.
The only reason is falls slightly short of the Chinese Type052D and S.Korean Sejong the Great is cause of its current limited number of SAMs.

Otherwise in terms of Technology, China's YJ-18/C-103 is no match for the BrahMos. China's HQ9 SAM is far inferior to India's Barak 8. And Kolkata's ASW capability with the HUMSA-NG and ATLAS Sonars are unmatched.
However, due to Kolkata's lesser number of SAMs, Type052D gets a slight edge in the overall ranking.

Here's a comparision - http://defencyclopedia.com/2014/09/...s-kolkata-class-vs-chinas-type-52d-destroyer/

Talking about Sejong the Great , its totally a different class of Destroyer. Its over 11,000 tons and the most heavily armed Destroyer in the World.
However again, its Weapons and Sensors are not as advanced as the Kolkata in many fields. But again, overall personally, i rate the Sejong as the best in the World right now, followed by the Type052D and then Kolkata.

US,China and India are currently the Top Naval Ship builders in the World right now.

With the commissioning of the Vishakapatnam Class , followed by China's Type055 ..Sejong will fall behind.
The Destroyer list will be ruled by US(Zumwalt,Arleigh Burke) , China(Typ055 ,Type052D) and India (Vishakapatnam and Kolkata)

PS- From what i understand from Vishakapatnam's order book, they ordered 2 x 8 VLS for BrahMos and 16 x 3 VLS for Barak 8ER. That means 48 SAMs.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles