Know Your 'Rafale'

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
My CV does allow me to speak on two topics: defense and medicine- including practice. Now go figure. You can laugh all you want because baboons laugh at everything.

I enjoy your posts on defense as much as one enjoys a clown in circus.
:pound::pound::pound: .

abhay rajput

Country flag
Yes, because if the production line is frozen, the training of the indian crews are running, and at least 8 jets are already fully built.
I believe India pilots are already being trained on single seater and I also believe the number is more than 8. I think the number is close to 11/12. Including 3 single seat version with intials b.s.

Last edited:

Wisemarko

Country flag
You said you were an Indian in the US on an H1 visa for IT. WTH you know about medicine or defence? My CV makes me an expert on jumping out of airplanes and suffering chronic back pain... NEXT!
Lol.. yes, yes H1 visa: I forgot. My bad. I keep forgetting that derision is dead here. These prions are killing my neurons.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag

Thread please....
A mid-long term solution to tech lead is Rafale-F4R and METEOR/DRDO SFDR missile.

Over say 10-15 years we should look at procuring 150-200 Rafales because 100 odd rafales will be occupied on just one front.Tejas is great but it has a limited range payload(its our mirage 2000c/f-16 jet),Su-30 is a heavy metal air dominance beast and it will be tied down in dogfights and CAP.

That leaves us with Rafale only.

Over 10-15 years it wouldnt be difficult to induct 8 more squadrons of Rafale.

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I am not Dassault’s spokeman :smile: My guess is the only thing that can stop it is Indian pilots getting sick (God forbid).

RB 005 seems all set !

Entire 36 rafale delivery most likely going to stuck with delay, but the delivery of the first batch going to happened asper plan i guess.

Frontrunner

Country flag
I am yet to see rafale fielding more than 2 meteors per plane.. all i hv seen in net is 2 meteors per rafale.. meanwhile EFT can be seen with 4-6 meteors.. nd heck even gripen ng is seen being bloated with 4-7 meteors..

Nd also picture is still vague regarding two way datalink for meteor in ISE upgraded rafales.. two way datalink for meteor is slotted for rafale f.4.. i am not sure whether iaf rafale will include it during ISE upgrades..

Can anyone shed some light on above points. Thanks & regards.

scatterStorm

Country flag
I am yet to see rafale fielding more than 2 meteors per plane.. all i hv seen in net is 2 meteors per rafale.. meanwhile EFT can be seen with 4-6 meteors.. nd heck even gripen ng is seen being bloated with 4-7 meteors..

Nd also picture is still vague regarding two way datalink for meteor in ISE upgraded rafales.. two way datalink for meteor is slotted for rafale f.4.. i am not sure whether iaf rafale will include it during ISE upgrades..

Good point raised. Same here, need to know this.

Kchontha

Country flag

Rafale is the last European fighter to integrate the Meteor, about 3-4 years later than the JAS-39 Gripen. It is also only fighter with a 1-way Meteor datalink instead of a 2-way link. In order to upgrade F3Rs version which India is getting to f4 standard the French will charge additional money. They are pitching f4 standard for mmrca2.

Frontrunner

Country flag
Rafale is the last European fighter to integrate the Meteor, about 3-4 years later than the JAS-39 Gripen. It is also only fighter with a 1-way Meteor datalink instead of a 2-way link. In order to upgrade F3Rs version which India is getting to f4 standard the French will charge additional money. They are pitching f4 standard for mmrca2.
What i know is .. indian rafales will be test bed of rafale f4.1 variant.. as technology planned for rafale f4.1 a la IRST, software updates for radar, HMDS etc will be part of ISE upgraded rafales.. as we are already paying 1.8 billion dollars for these ISE upgrades..

However still i m not able to find a single source which states that meteor will hv two way datalink in indian rafale.. two way datalink is really imperative to exploit meteor's max capabilities.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag

The 2 Meteor config is for french planes only, because French air force don't see it so usefull, because the french combat rules often need to positively recognize the target before firing, so in a 50km range.

But some trials were already made with 4 Meteor, and I will not be surprised to see in the coming month a Qatar or Indian plane with four of it.

Snowcat

Country flag
The 2 Meteor config is for french planes only, because French air force don't see it so usefull, because the french combat rules often need to positively recognize the target before firing, so in a 50km range.

But some trials were already made with 4 Meteor, and I will not be surprised to see in the coming month a Qatar or Indian plane with four of it.

Before you quote such things, you should probably list a source as well for the info. 50km thing sounds like a made up number.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Before you quote such things, you should probably list a source as well for the info. 50km thing sounds like a made up number.
NO. 50km is the range of Rafale OSF (front side optronic).
The amphasis for next gen MICA is more on speed than pure range. The second impulse engine is just to re energize the missile at the end, to improke pk.

Meteor is in the french arsenal, because it was just impossible marketingly speaking to leave that weapon to Eurofighter and Gripen, but the french air force only ordered 100 units, and will order far more MICA NG.

Last edited:

Global Defence

Articles