Kaveri Engine

rudresh

Country flag
Does it look more like 82.5kN? If it is 82.5kN then that is remarkable however one should also see how much fuel it consumes to achieve that thrust!

The LCA PV-1 was built for the Kaveri and it does not need much modification. It has been stored away in some hanger awaiting the Kaveri engine. If the thrust is 82.5kN they should just stick it up the LCA and be done with it.
I really expected this before even now see the engine if it comes to its complete specs it will give a massive thrust of about 120kn{with french alloys} well definately we can see much more thrust increase after that GE414 tot or MMRCA tot atleast this is the time for some russian assistance with the 5th gen materials for the kaveri any ways we will be also making AL41FP under tot{so better before than later}.

For putting it on LCA let it undergo full tests in russia it may be slightly less efficient on seeing the bypass ratio for now but if the design is fully certified it can certainly go into trainer later after some good no of hours it can be used on MK3 if it happens with all the bells. Right now it should get more credibility as a safe engine for the fighter aircraft.

rudresh

Country flag
It don't really matter how much thrust it is rated for if it can't perform at supersonic speeds. You would be better off converting it to high-bypass ratio engines and start your commercial aircraft industry. GoI has given up on this engine for fighters. If they can use it in marine and locomotive applications, more power to them but the real money is commercial aviation.
Are the tests for kaveri complete? No
dont come to such a conclusion so early letus wait til the complete tests are over.
I feel it cannot be tested on il-76 for mach 1.8 or mach 2 or above until and unless it is mated with the test tejas airframe we will not be able to know that .......any way lets wait and see.....................:lca:

Last edited:

pmaitra

Pictures of Kaveri Testing on Ilyushin-76LL (1/2)

Pictures of Kaveri Testing on Ilyushin-76LL (1/2)

290733_10150274134956395_252352771394_7857966_7385764_o.jpg 298805_10150274134041395_252352771394_7857953_1013670_n.jpg 300285_10150274134636395_252352771394_7857961_3214610_n.jpg 301695_10150274134566395_252352771394_7857960_4119328_n.jpg

Last edited:

SNB

I have been reading all the comments , about Kaveri engine , starting from design faults, to low thrust, burnouts, problems with the core of the engine (kabini), the thing is this is the first jet engine India has ever designed in-house and every country that's designed jets engines had the exact same problems they got better by refining their design through building and using the same engine and improving in increments over time.
What i do not get is why pay the French or American engine makers at all if its the different core they are looking for why not go the Chinese way just reverse engineer it . Say what anyone will of the Chinese they care about themselves and forging ahead first , we should follow the Chinese example. Let the Europeans , Russians and Americans bitch and moan , you don't see them giving a rats ass when its comes to hitting us with technology denial regimes when it looks like we are close to achieving something indigenous.
The Americans got the jet engine technology through the Nazi engineers and Nazi German designs.
The British got the jet design from American and Nazi designs .
The Russians got their first jet engine by reverse engineering Rolls Royce engines the imported from the British.
So can someone explain to me why India should take up the mantle of sainthood to the detriment of the country and its people.

kalkibhagwan

Tihar Jail
Banned
I have been reading all the comments , about Kaveri engine , starting from design faults, to low thrust, burnouts, problems with the core of the engine (kabini), the thing is this is the first jet engine India has ever designed in-house and every country that's designed jets engines had the exact same problems they got better by refining their design through building and using the same engine and improving in increments over time.
What i do not get is why pay the French or American engine makers at all if its the different core they are looking for why not go the Chinese way just reverse engineer it . Say what anyone will of the Chinese they care about themselves and forging ahead first , we should follow the Chinese example. Let the Europeans , Russians and Americans bitch and moan , you don't see them giving a rats ass when its comes to hitting us with technology denial regimes when it looks like we are close to achieving something indigenous.
The Americans got the jet engine technology through the Nazi engineers and Nazi German designs.
The British got the jet design from American and Nazi designs .
The Russians got their first jet engine by reverse engineering Rolls Royce engines the imported from the British.
So can someone explain to me why India should take up the mantle of sainthood to the detriment of the country and its people.

Its the policy of India ..... so that our ministers can do great ghotalas during the transaction of these technologies. Also, the world bank dictates many of India's policies... in actuality, Our ministers "NEVER" use public money... they take loans from IMF ....

Galaxy

Country flag
23-November, 2011 13:57 IST

kaveri Aero Engine Developed by DRDO

Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is negotiating with M/s SNECMA, France for co-development and co-production of Kaveri Aero Engine for the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas Mk-II.

Indian Air Force (lAF) has been consulted at every stage and is part of negotiation for the co-development of Kaveri engine. The draft engine technical specification has been examined and cleared by IAF and has further suggested that the engine design should have minimal impact on the LCA, Tejas airframe for future retro-fitment.

Press Information Bureau English Releases

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Technically, what specific help or improvement should we expect from a JV on Kaveri engine?
I know it is in light weight category currently, but would it potentially be capable of flying the likes of MIGs and Sukhois?

Regards,
Virendra

sathya

Country flag
its the core of the engine that french are willing to sell ..
they were reluctant to transfer tech.
anyone can update the status please....

kaveri engine will anyways be tested in twin engine aircraft like su 30 or mig 29.. ( su 30 most likely) before being integrated to LCA

Last edited:

Param

Technically, what specific help or improvement should we expect from a JV on Kaveri engine?
I know it is in light weight category currently, but would it potentially be capable of flying the likes of MIGs and Sukhois?

Regards,
Virendra
All this JV stuff is crap. The French will just sell the M88 core and that will be used instead of the Kabini core. And we'll call that an success story.

Reactions: SNB

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Development of Indigenous Aero-Engine by DRDO | idrw.org

So far 9 prototypes of Kaveri engines and 4 prototypes of Kabini (Core) engines have been developed. Total 2050 hours of testing have been conducted on various Kaveri and Kabini engines at ground and altitude conditions for various requirements including performance, operability, endurance, environmental, etc. Two major milestones viz. successful completion of Official Altitude Testing (OAT) and completion of first block of flights of Kaveri engine in Flying Test Bed (FTB) has demonstrated the technological capability and maturity of this indigenous effort. Kaveri engine prototype (K9) was integrated with IL-76 aircraft at Gromov Flight Research Institute (GFRI), Russia and flight tests have been successfully carried out up to 12 km maximum forward altitude and a maximum forward speed of 0.7 Mach No. Twenty seven flights for 55 hours duration have been completed on IL-76. Critical subsystems and its associated knowledge know-how and know-why has been acquired in association with Indian public & private sector industries, including certification methodologies.

SNB

The kaveri engine should be used to power our on the drawing board project for a heavy lift helicopter as well as new versions of the Arjun MBT or retrofit in the old tanks replace the German engine , use it in the marine versions to replace american jets they use on our warships specially use a non-after burning version of the Kaveri engine for our new RTA90 (BTW this part should be easiest since the test bed used in Russia for the high altitude test was a non-after burning version ), " ANYTHING" , to gain more experience and knowledge and diversify the tech base we created , to just go on a JV with the french and replace the kabini core whole sale is "STUPID and SHOWS ZERO FORESIGHT" , the western countries want to keep us reliant on them for technology , the money we pay them they use to make newer better versions of the tech we buy from them, which they sell to both us and our enemies.
This is the old British policy of " DIVIDE AND CONQUER " , with a new and rather sinister and self serving twist in the economic realm. If i am beginning to sound like an old broken record, the readers of this forum will have to excuse me, because the mistakes Indian policy makers are making is frustrating at the very least.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
why dont they tell that how much work in terms of percentage is completed and how much testing, development and work is still left.
completely vague details comes out from drdo.
Thats because this project is a failure, they have not achieved the target thrust and they are keeping it a secret, the 80kN achieved by the kaveri is at the cost of huge fuel dumping.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
When is India going to sign the deal with Snecma?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Thats because this project is a failure, they have not achieved the target thrust and they are keeping it a secret, the 80kN achieved by the kaveri is at the cost of huge fuel dumping.
and you know this how ?

trackwhack

Hmmm - so the Kaveri will power the AMCA - both of which are myths right now! Awesome!

I think DRDO will build another Engine called the Godavri to power the A.V.A.T.A.R by 2030 - just my predictions ... :D
You really funny Mr "I ran away to the US to do research and not to chase money"

Why dont you leave us to our devices and get the fk out of here if you find DRDO timelines funny enough to warrant a comment as deprecating as that. And watch out, it wont be too many years before direction of trade in technology turns 180 degrees.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles