ISRO's Reusable Launch Vehicles

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Thanks. I wasn't aware of this.

So, it is USA, USSR, and PRC. India will be next. :)

No
It's USA, USSR; Japan, France and India. China is still developing it.

@Indx TechStyle Refer to point # 2 in above article. This is what I was talking about. Will make satellite launch cheaper. Is bound to make the US private launch firms frustrated even further.
and they will definitely try to sabotage this program of India. So beware of these yankies.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Plan has changed.
It will not glide. It will crash and disintegrate into sea this time.
This time experiment for sending.
Next time for sending and bringing back safely.
Then, for return flight after one launch (reusability).
Then, scramjet engines will be tested to start full prototype testing.
So, that, it can lift humans in the space.
After the launch, the space shuttle flew to an altitude of 70 kilometres and then engaged in a free-gliding flight that started with an initial velocity five times that of sound. It then landed on a stretch of water in the Bay of Bengal some 500 kilometres from Sriharikota.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/india-all-set-to-launch-its-own-space-shuttle-today-1408943

It will be partial success if they are using it only to send. Because they cannot change the size in space and has to bring it back with same wing span.

That means it has to glide otherwise it will disintegrate in the atmosphere. If it has disintegrated in the atmosphere then I am little confused.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag

Akask kumar

Good question.

The ISRO is using maverick design. It can be SSTO or DSTO as sounding rocket can be expanded by putting one more stage.
since RLV will use scramjet -which operate near mach 5. so either we use rocket to propel the craft to mach 5 or put it on top of bigger craft ,with boosters on RLV to acheive mach 5..(coz no big military airplane runs at mach 5 )

anyways this cant be a SSTO now. coz incorporating mechanism inbuilt in RLV to boost it to mach 5 will make it bulkier,heavier,and more complex..

SABRE is different and perfect SSTO. with two engines that work differently at different altitudes.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
since RLV will use scramjet -which operate near mach 5. so either we use rocket to propel the craft to mach 5 or put it on top of bigger craft ,with boosters on RLV to acheive mach 5..(coz no big military airplane runs at mach 5 )
You mean like the US space shuttle? That will be a different design then. The whole aerodynamics will change.

If you have to go like 400 km , then cryogenic engine is required on the RLV. With 60 times greater scale it can accommodate sufficient fuel to take it into the 400+km orbit with pay load.

I am worried about the first stage as you said it will be bulkier.

pmaitra

fresh launch pic. tired of seeing the same old lauch pics..
Thank you. This is a genuine picture. The wings of the RLV-TD are clearly visible. Most of the Tweets and news sites are showing pictures of old PSLV launches. Let us post genuine pictures of RLV-TD.

Guys, please do not post pictures of PSLV, GSLV, or misleading/irrelevant stuff.

Akask kumar

You mean like the US space shuttle? That will be a different design then. The whole aerodynamics will change.

If you have to go like 400 km , then cryogenic engine is required on the RLV. With 60 times greater scale it can accommodate sufficient fuel to take it into the 400+km orbit with pay load.

I am worried about the first stage as you said it will be bulkier.
no not like stupid american space shuttle,that carried entire fuel in one go..the big [edited] like thing that we saw in space shuttle was O2 tank.. and the two thin [edited] on side of main [edited] was solid boosters..

here in RLV -it wil generate O2 from atmoshere, so big central [edited] gone. but since it will run on scramjet which need mach 5 to operate ,we need a propelling mechanism ,so ISRO appears to be using sounding rockets/solid boosters, not two may be one coz with the absence of big orange central dick our craft will be lighter..

i use to think this RLV will be complete SSTO ,i will be happy if i am proved wrong

Akask kumar

Thank you. This is a genuine picture. The wings of the RLV-TD are clearly visible. Most of the Tweets and news sites are showing pictures of old PSLV launches. Let us post genuine pictures of RLV-TD.

Guys, please do not post pictures of PSLV, GSLV, or misleading/irrelevant stuff.
i saw this on twitter. ya many news site and ppl are posting GSLV and pslv pic. morons dnt have any idea or dnt dig deep into the subject.Pathetic news media..

well ISRO hasnt updated anything regarding the RLV both on twitter and WEB pager

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
It has landed but disintegrated after landing. That means.. it glided.
Yup! They didn't want to recover it, they wanted it to disintegrate on water ; they might have collected data from its disintegration too.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
here in RLV -it wil generate O2 from atmoshere, so big central [edited] gone. but since it will run on scramjet which need mach 5 to operate ,we need a propelling mechanism ,so ISRO appears to be using sounding rockets/solid boosters, not two may be one coz with the absence of big orange central dick our craft will be lighter..

i use to think this RLV will be complete SSTO ,i will be happy if i am proved wrong
Boosters can take it to 100km

I don't think they will install scramjet on it on the final design. Because ISRO is developing the SCE-200 , semi cryogenic engine for RLV and ULV( heavy weight launches, gslv) top operate beyond 100km with better efficiency. altitude to reach space station and other minute adjustments during docking and also re entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE-200

Akask kumar

Boosters can take it to 100km

I don't think they will install scramjet on it on the final design. Because ISRO is developing the SCE-200 , semi cryogenic engine for RLV and ULV( heavy weight launches, gslv) top operate beyond 100km with better efficiency. altitude to reach space station and other minute adjustments during docking and also re entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE-200
so its american space shuttle with only difference that it can generate its own O2 for combustion in space.

i am totally disappointed. well now i will wait for official announcement of design on ISRO main page.so much confusion about the engine.

Last edited:

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
so its american space shuttle with only difference that it can generate its own O2 for combustion in space.
The technology used in US space shuttle from electronics to mechanics are 20 century technologies, that's why they retired. With advancement in fuel , material science and better communication and software India's will be 21st century space shuttle with platform to upgrade it as technologies develop. Hence cheaper too.

from where u got the info that it will use just cryogenic engine.coz its worthless in atmosphere and we have to rely entirely on rocket to be thrown in space. remeber ISRO talked about reducing the price to 10 tmes
You cannot use scramjet beyond 100kms you need oxidizer any how. Hence semicryogenic because you are using only LOX and Kerosene. Not LOX and LH.

The semi-cryogenic Project envisages the design and development of a 2000 kN semi-cryogenic engine for a future heavy-lift Unified Launch Vehicle (ULV) and Reusable Launch Vehicle (RLV). The semi-cryogenic engine uses a combination of Liquid Oxygen (LOX) and ISROSENE (propellant-grade kerosene), which are eco-friendly and cost-effective propellants.

http://isro.gov.in/sites/default/files/AnnualReports/2014/STS.html

Last edited:

Akask kumar

You cannot use scramjet beyond 100kms you need oxidizer any how. Hence semicryogenic because you are using only LOX and Kerosene. Not LOX and LH.

The semi-cryogenic Project envisages the design and development of a 2000 kN semi-cryogenic engine for a future heavy-lift Unified Launch Vehicle (ULV) and Reusable Launch Vehicle (RLV). The semi-cryogenic engine uses a combination of Liquid Oxygen (LOX) and ISROSENE (propellant-grade kerosene), which are eco-friendly and cost-effective propellants.

http://isro.gov.in/sites/default/files/AnnualReports/2014/STS.html[/QUOTE]

i found this.on the page..

Air Breathing (AB) propulsion along with Reusable Launch Vehicle technology is the key for low cost access to Space. Unlike conventional rockets, Air Breathing Propulsion system makes use of atmospheric oxygen for combustion thus resulting in substantial improvement in payload fraction and reduction in overall cost.

ISRO has taken up a systematic R&D programme for demonstrating stable supersonic combustion through a series of ground tests on the Air-Breathing Propulsion Technology. The flight demonstration of this technology is planned with Advanced Technology Vehicle (ATV).

Towards Scramjet flight testing, mission studies have been carried out and feasibility established. Qualification and flight model of the Scramjet Engine Avionics Module with High Frequency Data Acquisition Units and its sub-systems were realised. Test and evaluation of these packages for flight were also successfully carried out.

Functional tests of the ignition system of scramjet with different mixture ratios of Gaseous Hydrogen – Gaseous Oxygen were carried out. High pressure gaseous hydrogen flow control module and a module for operating the start valves of Fuel Feed System for scramjet engine flight testing were realised.

The scramjet engine frame assembly for flight and the flow duct segments made out of super alloy Inconel-718 have been realised. Qualification test to demonstrate sliding capability of scramjet engine and vehicle interface was successfully carried out. The Scramjet Characterisation flight is targeted in 2014.

THEY ARE DEVELOPING SCRAMJET ENGINE TOO. SO SCRAMJET TO GET TO THE EDGE OF ATMOSPHERE AND SEMI CRYOGENIC FROM THERE TO SPACE..
WHY ELSE ISRO WILL DEVELOP SCRAMJET THEN

Compersion

Country flag
What's will all the secrecy ??

Its not like that we are testing a nuke delivery system which can change directions and glide to a target at high speed and linked to MIRV developments .

Its not like we are testing something new and advanced and don't want copy and paste from others.

Its not like we did something new and challenging that is good.

Oh wait !!

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
What's will all the secrecy ??

Its not like that we are testing a nuke delivery system which can change directions and glide to a target at high speed and linked to MIRV developments .

Its not like we are testing something new and advanced and don't want copy and paste from others.

Its not like we did something new and challenging that is good.

Oh wait !!
It can work as our hyperplane or hypersonic delivery system in future making us 4th Nation after US, Russia and China to do so. :D

Global Defence

New threads

Articles