ISRO General News and Updates

Vamsi

Country flag
Yup, that was bad PR. They should have disclosed the information. I don't think we were searching for transformers there.
They are not releasing Failure Analysis Committee Report, when asked for it in a RTI , they replied that they cannot disclose the FAC report because of National Security reason. I don't understand what National Security issue is involved in FAC report for a civilian project,we are not asking the report of a military project

Vamsi

Country flag
So far as I know, CE 27 will replace CE25 with better specific impulse. L 110 will be replaced with Semi cryogenic engine. This will allow GSLV MK III to lift more weight by 50% to 60%.
Sir, ur terminology kinda confusing, CE term in CE-20 is means Cryo Engine and SCE in SCE-200 means Semi Cryo Engine, the number denotes the amount of thrust in tonnes i.e 20 in CE-20 means 20 tons of thrust. So CE-20 means Cryo Engine - 20 tonnes of thrust. For Stages we use the following nomenclature with single letter denoting type of fuel and number denoting the amount of fuel in tonnes, for example S200 means Solid Fuel stage with 200 tonnes propellent ,L110 means earth storable liquid fuel 110 tonnes, C25 means Cryo stage with 25 tonne fuel. You are saying CE-27 , is it a new Cryo engine or new Cryo stage with 27 tonnes of fuel?

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Sir, ur terminology kinda confusing, CE term in CE-20 is means Cryo Engine and SCE in SCE-200 means Semi Cryo Engine, the number denotes the amount of thrust in tonnes i.e 20 in CE-20 means 20 tons of thrust. So CE-20 means Cryo Engine - 20 tonnes of thrust. For Stages we use the following nomenclature with single letter denoting type of fuel and number denoting the amount of fuel in tonnes, for example S200 means Solid Fuel stage with 200 tonnes propellent ,L110 means earth storable liquid fuel 110 tonnes, C25 means Cryo stage with 25 tonne fuel. You are saying CE-27 , is it a new Cryo engine or new Cryo stage with 27 tonnes of fuel?
I don't know anything like CE 20. It is CE25. 25 denotes 25 tons fuel and not 25 kn thrust so far as I know. S200 means solid fuel motor with 200 ton propzlant. L110 heans Liquid fuel motor with 110 ton ptopalant. CE25 means Cryogenic engine with 25 ton fuel. Please check and let me know whether am I right or wrong.

Vamsi

Country flag
I don't know anything like CE 20. It is CE25. 25 denotes 25 tons fuel and not 25 kn thrust so far as I know. S200 means solid fuel motor with 200 ton propzlant. L110 heans Liquid fuel motor with 110 ton ptopalant. CE25 means Cryogenic engine with 25 ton fuel. Please check and let me know whether am I right or wrong.
That's C-25 stage sir , CE-20 is the name of engine

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
It is a new proposed cryo stage to replace CE25 to carry more fuel, give higher thrust and specific impulse and longer burn time to lift havier payload.

omaebakabaka

They are not releasing Failure Analysis Committee Report, when asked for it in a RTI , they replied that they cannot disclose the FAC report because of National Security reason. I don't understand what National Security issue is involved in FAC report for a civilian project,we are not asking the report of a military project
Lots of capabilities are dual purpose and they can apply the discretion but can release a highlevel analysis, may be they are still looking into it.....remember this is still very new for ISRO

SKC

Country flag
Yup, that was bad PR. They should have disclosed the information. I don't think we were searching for transformers there.
Since countries have been failing to land on different celestial bodies for ages now, there was no harm in sharing correct information. Even our RW crowd was like "Nothing happened to Lander, Its JUST LYING TO ITS SIDE!" like they don't know how fast it impacted the surface!
ISRO went full Soviet mode after the crash landing! Soviets still did not accept the tragic Cosmo-naught Incident which happened well before Yuri Gagarin's flight.

afako

Hindufying India
Country flag
I have been giving fair chances to ISRO for last 10 years for their launch targets in a year. They have never achieved that and the timeline for most of the satellite launch is delayed and keeps on pushing quarter by quarter, year by year.

Is there no concept of learning curve? I do understand the inherent challenges and engineering issues in space tech. I have followed it for a long time. But if other space faring countries are able to demonstrate a consistency in launches and incremental improvements, what is the thing with ISRO that they are just not there.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
What happened to RLV landing experiment(LEX)?
Pushed 1-1.5 years ahead.
They earlier had planned a landing experience and a return flight one this year in October.
I have been giving fair chances to ISRO for last 10 years for their launch targets in a year. They have never achieved that and the timeline for most of the satellite launch is delayed and keeps on pushing quarter by quarter, year by year.

Is there no concept of learning curve? I do understand the inherent challenges and engineering issues in space tech. I have followed it for a long time. But if other space faring countries are able to demonstrate a consistency in launches and incremental improvements, what is the thing with ISRO that they are just not there.
Launch frequency is related to production and not learning curve. India has only one major spaceport with two launch pads (third in construction).

More factories in last 10 years have become vendors to supply rocket components for ISRO. After fabrication, rocket is assembled in a vehicle assembly building. A new building was inducted 2 years ago which boosted capacity by 3. So, they actually doubled launch frequency between 2010 and 2020 and capacity was even higher (when rockets are released depends upon factory). They then targeted for 10-12 launches from ever year on from 2020 but corona screwed them real hard.

Over it, after all India's industries are Indian, not Japanese ones. Not often on time, not always fit for quality. Only thing they are good at is low cost.

lcafanboy

Country flag
Desi SR-72 from ISRO
-Admin Blackadder

Recently an ISRO presentation on future space programs highlighted various new systems that ISRO was building for future capability expansion and it resembled a desi version of SR-72. These included the NSLV (for nano-satellite launches), LV/HRLV for heavy launch operations as well as the new SHLV that will also contain a recoverable booster (retro propulsive technology).

All about the desi SR-72 concept
An interesting project that was also showcased was the TSTO (twin stage to orbit) technology that ISRO aims to use in order to lower launch costs of satellites using since they are highly reusable and can be used to launch satellites at a moment’s notice with a higher turnover rate as compared to normal rockets that are mostly single mission usage only.

Guest Lecture Series at VJTI Technovanza 2021
The TSTO will combine multiple programmes that ISRO have already been undertaking and therefore will be contain a large proportion of indigenous content. For example, rocket engines for both the first and second stage makes use of existing ISRO tech. Scramjet and turbo-ramjet technology had already been proved by ISRO by testing dual mode ramjet (DMRJ) technology in 2016 on ISRO’s advanced technology vehicle (a sounding rocket).

A dual mode ramjet (DMRJ) is a type of jet engine where a ramjet transforms into scramjet over Mach 4-8 range, which means it can efficiently operate both in subsonic and supersonic combustor modes. ISRO had already proven critical technologies such as ignition of air breathing engines at supersonic speed, holding the flame at supersonic speed, air intake mechanism and fuel injection systems through this experiment.

Lastly, although the RLVTD (reusable launch vehicle technology demonstrator) is used to test orbital applications of a space shuttle (which is not necessary for the TSTO which only reaches 50km altitude before deploying the second stage into orbit and therefore does not need to test re-entry technology), many lessons can still be learnt from this programme such as automated landing technology (since both programmes are unmanned). Therefore, ISRO has the individual components already successfully tested or under testing. It is just a matter of combining the technologies to finish the build of the TSTO.

The building of the TSTO is not only beneficial to the ISRO only. Although it is designed for civilian purposes, there is a possibility that multiple military applications can be derived from this technology. The TSTO has multiple similarities to the replacement programme for the SR-71 Black Bird (SR-72).

About the SR-72

The SR-72 is an optionally unmanned high-speed reconnaissance aircraft that will also feature a dual mode ramjet, allowing it to reach speeds of Mach 6. Unlike the Blackbird that was only used for reconnaissance roles, the SR-72 can be used for strike roles as well. The ISRO TSTO can not only carry a payload of 2 tonnes (which means it could possibly carry air-launched ballistic missiles, Brahmos NG or even anti-satellite weapons) but it also can travel faster than the SR-72 (Mach 9 with the scramjet and Mach 12 with rocket engines). Under a threat of a missile attack, the rocket engines could possibly help the TSTO escape from an enemy surface-to-air missile.

No photo description available.

In conclusion, this new programme can create a quantum jump in both India’s space as well as its military ambitions. With a TSTO, India can finally leap ahead of the industrialized nations in the pursuit of scientific prowess.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I think it's equally important.
This further delays the must important scramjet propulsion experiment which RLV would demonstrate,utmost needed for HAVA
Not to forget military POV,can place sattelites easier way and would be ready always.
It's yet in nascent stages overall. So, one experiment this year or two at once next year won't make any difference IMO.

Vamsi

Country flag
It's yet in nascent stages overall. So, one experiment this year or two at once next year won't make any difference IMO.
Sir,I think the prototype for RLV-LEX is ready, they were waiting for Air Force helo, bureaucratic hurdles may be?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles