ISRO General News and Updates

su35

Country flag
Indigenously Developed Metal-based Origami Payload tested in INS-1C
Indian Nano Satellite-1C (INS-1C) is an experimental satellite launched by PSLV-C40 on Jan 12, 2018 as a co-passenger payload. It is the third satellite in the Indian Nano Satellite (INS) series. The first two satellites (INS-1A and INS-1B) of this series were carried as co-passenger payloads by PSLV-C37 in February 2017. INS-1C carries Miniature Multi-spectral Technology Demonstration (MMX-TD) Payload from Space Applications Centre (SAC), ISRO Ahmedabad.

Compact imaging systems with reduced weight and size offer tremendous opportunities for their use in space borne micro/nano satellites and planetary missions where size and weight are at a premium. Although miniature cameras such as those found in cell-phones are now available commonly, their resolution and light collection are poor with respect to their full size counterparts. Robust Technology Development Programme of SAC/ISRO developed an innovative satellite payload using the concept of Origami - the art of folding paper. ISRO Nano Satellite (INS-1C) payload team has used the concept of multi-fold reflective optics to design imagers of significantly reduced thickness compared with conventional refractive cameras.

This multi-fold optical configuration is known as Origami optics. It is important to note that the reflective optics is based on metal mirrors, rather than the usual glass based Origami lens. The use of metal reflectors makes the camera potentially much more versatile in terms of spectral coverage. The mirrors and the optical assembly were developed indigenously. The optics is fabricated using single-point diamond turning machine with a fast-tool servo. Ray diagram of the Origami optics, Individual mirrors and Comparison with a conventional lens system are shown in the figures below:

Optical Ray Diagram

Mirror-1 Mirror-2

Indigenously developed Metal Origami Optics

Comparison between Origami Optics and Conventional Lens

Utilising the capability of the optics, a compact Miniature Multi-spectral Technology Demonstration (MMX-TD) payload was configured for INS-1C nanosatellite. The camera provides RGB snaps of 29 km x 29 km area with 23 m ground sampling from polar sun-synchronous orbit of 505 km altitude.

The first payload operation was carried out successfully on January 16, 2018 and since then, the payload is providing excellent images. Data sent by this camera is useful for topographical mapping, vegetation monitoring, aerosol scattering studies and cloud studies etc.,.

INS-1C MMX-TD Payload Mounted on Spacecraft

Himalyan Region seen from INS -1C

Nagqu, Tibet
Excellent pics bro, just one correction it is Odisha not Orissa, name has been changed long time ago

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
I'll just leave this here:-

:drool:
Source: http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1/India/LVM3/Versions/LVM3.htm
Check out source for configuration of each rocket.

As far as I can tell, the SHLV with boosters (rocket first from right) will have LEO capability of 150 tons. So it is the Indian equivalent to Saturn V, Long March 9, SLS Block 2 and Space X's BFR.
@Indx TechStyle can we have the SHLV flying by 2035-ish (assuming that SCE-200 is flying in 2021)?

mayfair

SCE stands for Semi-cryogenic engine, which uses Liquid Kerosene as a fuel and Liquid Oxygen as oxidiser. Since, Liquid Kerosene does not need to be stored at low temp/high pressure, it's called semi-cryo. Only LOX needs to stored in liquefied form.

rishivashista13

Country flag
Here, First stage separation is written as "GS1/GS2 separation" but only GS1 is separated and GS2 has been already ignited. I also observed this on SDSC (satish dhawan space center) screens during live launch, it was written same. Someone clarify this.....

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
I'll just leave this here:-

:drool:
Source: http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1/India/LVM3/Versions/LVM3.htm
Check out source for configuration of each rocket.

As far as I can tell, the SHLV with boosters (rocket first from right) will have LEO capability of 150 tons. So it is the Indian equivalent to Saturn V, Long March 9, SLS Block 2 and Space X's BFR.
@Indx TechStyle can we have the SHLV flying by 2035-ish (assuming that SCE-200 is flying in 2021)?
No, the limit for India will be GSLV with about 6ton payload. The heavier launcher is not a difficulty as even in 1960s, the USA and USSR had such launchers. They are simply expensive and unnecessary. India is not a resource rich nation to have such kind of launchers.

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag
Here, First stage separation is written as "GS1/GS2 separation" but only GS1 is separated and GS2 has been already ignited. I also observed this on SDSC (satish dhawan space center) screens during live launch, it was written same. Someone clarify this.....

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
Read it as GS1 separation / GS2 ignition.
You may also see that GS2 ignites before the separation- the interstage ring is designed with this in mind, and the thrust helps separate the two vehicles.

Last edited:

Kalki_2018

Country flag
No, the limit for India will be GSLV with about 6ton payload. The heavier launcher is not a difficulty as even in 1960s, the USA and USSR had such launchers. They are simply expensive and unnecessary. India is not a resource rich nation to have such kind of launchers.
You are wrong. ISRO will build heavy launchers. For manned moon/mars missions we will need them.

happylion

Country flag
Please refer to the slides by Dr BN Suresh for the Man rated vehicle plan for potential moon mission. The C60 upper stage etc are being planned for such a heavy launcher

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles