ISRO General News and Updates

rishivashista13

Country flag
What I seriously support is , nuclear propulsion using thorium as fuel . We are blessed with plenty of thorium in our land , but we are not able to use it till now .
Once we succeed in making thorium based nuclear reactor and a rocket engine which can carry it to the space , interstellar travel will become very easy for us .
This is the best and cheapest option which we have .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

Anupu

Country flag
u didnt get my point.. i said "even if" they achieve a proper space flight .. whats the point.. it will be just a showcase.. no vision..
my whole debate was on vision.. if u dnt have a vision,plan for future human space flight then is pointless to do it..
if india has vision of stablishing a research laboratory then go for human space flight .. if we dnt want a space lab then what the point in lauching human in space . whats the point.. ITS ABOUT VISION
I think ISRO's idea of reducing cost of acess to space is pretty good as a vision. The orignal space race that led to manned flights to moon were more of a dick measuring contest between USA and USSR, but if we want long term space exploration we need a low cost method to escape earths gravity... Wouldn't it be awesome if ISRO or an Indian company i future can build the first space elevator... that would be the culmination of ISRO's vision I think.

Anupu

Country flag
What I seriously support is , nuclear propulsion using thorium as fuel . We are blessed with plenty of thorium in our land , but we are not able to use it till now .
Once we succeed in making thorium based nuclear reactor and a rocket engine which can carry it to the space , interstellar travel will become very easy for us .

No it won't fission or even fusion is too heavy and inefficient for fast interstellar travel... you only need one thing ..... :D :D :D

Akask kumar

Sir ! pls explain how that nuclear reactor will propel the craft!!

salute

Aisa bhi nahi hai ki I hate or dislike Pakistanis, Aapne toh aise hi assume kar liya sir. Normal Pakistani se mera kya pangaa. Government ke tante alag hai.... Iranians se bhi kya pangaa waise hi.

But Iranian government is making total chutiya out of it's people most of the times.
me not sir ,

and its niether about pangaa nor any assumptions about you ,

pangaa toh mera bhi nahi hai unse ,

but you dont wanna share border with those countries because they are nuisance ,

history says western border was always trouble for india .

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
u didnt get my point.. i said "even if" they achieve a proper space flight .. whats the point.. it will be just a showcase.. no vision..
my whole debate was on vision.. if u dnt have a vision,plan for future human space flight then it is pointless to do it..
if india has vision of stablishing a research laboratory then go for human space flight .. if we dnt want a space lab then whats the point in lauching human in space ... ITS ABOUT VISION
And I have been telling you keep trust on government and ISRO. Without any need, India never executes a space project. If manned mission is executed, means ISRO has a plan. I think you are waiting for an official confirmation of this from ISRO.:)
@salute Don't ruin the thread with off topic discussion.

Akask kumar

I think ISRO's idea of reducing cost of acess to space is pretty good as a vision. The orignal space race that led to manned flights to moon were more of a dick measuring contest between USA and USSR, but if we want long term space exploration we need a low cost method to escape earths gravity... Wouldn't it be awesome if ISRO or an Indian company i future can build the first space elevator... that would be the culmination of ISRO's vision I think.
ya reducing the cost of lauch is priority these days acorss all space programs specially after ISRO MOM.. that made NASA appear as if its wasting the tax payer money .. burnol moment for west. he he..

space elevator is 100 years ahead. i will be happy if our TSTO is ready coz that will pave way for SSTO.. thats called vision..

Anupu

Country flag
me not sir ,

and its niether about pangaa nor about assumptions about you ,

pangaa toh mera bhi nahi hai unse ,

but you dont wanna share border with those countries because they are nuisance at the best ,

history says western border was always trouble for india .
...............................SD......................................................

Akask kumar

And I have been telling you keep trust on government and ISRO. Without any need, India never executes a space project. If manned mission is executed, means ISRO has a plan. I think you are waiting for an official confirmation of this from ISRO.:)
Ya u are right.. so far i havnt read anything about a research lab in space.. I am sure our ISRO chief has plan and vision.. coz Astrosat mission tellls about our hunger for space research and knowledge.. if we can have a orbital mini telescope then why not an orbital mini research lab.. pls end this human space flight discussion . its getting stretched too far.

but we can discuss on near future propulsion

Anupu

Country flag
Manned missions can wait. The world is not gonna settle on mars till next 20-40 years... Though moon could become a bit more urgent target
By the way Watch this @Akask kumar

Akask kumar

Manned missions can wait. The world is not gonna settle on mars till next 20-40 years... Though moon could become a bit more urgent target
By the way Watch this @Akask kumar
dnt care about the west NASA or spaceX whether they go to the mars or not .. i knw ISRO will aim moon and mine moon.. we will be competing with chinese over moon.. let NASA to swing by asteroid and let them land their cheerleaders on mars..we shud not care..

i will watch the video later.. it way too long..

rishivashista13

Country flag
Sir ! pls explain how that nuclear reactor will propel the craft!!
By using the concept of nuclear thermal rocket .
In a nuclear thermal rocket a working fluid, usually liquid hydrogen, is heated to a high temperature in a nuclear reactor, and then expands through a rocket nozzle to create thrust. In this kind of thermal rocket, the nuclear reactor's energy replaces the chemical energy of the propellant's reactive chemicals in a chemical rocket . If we can use thorium for this purpose it will be very cost effective for us .
But it is only possible if we are able to make a light weight thorium reactor which can provide required heat to liquid hydrogen .

Akask kumar

By using the concept of nuclear thermal rocket .
In a nuclear thermal rocket a working fluid, usually liquid hydrogen, is heated to a high temperature in a nuclear reactor, and then expands through a rocket nozzle to create thrust. In this kind of thermal rocket, the nuclear reactor's energy replaces the chemical energy of the propellant's reactive chemicals in a chemical rocket . If we can use thorium for this purpose it will be very cost effective for us .
But it is only possible if we are able to make a light weight thorium reactor which can provide required heat to liquid hydrogen .

so basically its a chemical rocket without the oxidiser.. instead of oxidiser we are using nuclear heat here to produce high pressurised gas..

not very different from a chemical powered engine.. still u cant call it a nuclear propulsion .. it is nuclear powered propulsion..

ya this propulsion seems fast n strong as high pressurised gas will be released from nozzle generating trust. but the duration of propulsion will depend upon the amount of fuel it will carry. looks like cryogenic propulsion minus oxygen

but a propulsion where thrust is generated by forcing a volume of gas is not good for interstellar travel.. you have to carrry very very large amount of fuel.

contrarily in IOn engine.. a small amount of gas(inert) is kept in cylinder and each atom of gas is ionised.. which are realeased to generate small thrust but this thrust can be sustained for very long peroid of time with very little fuel.. here in this case u dnt have to carry large amount of fuel .. plus if you power such engines with nuclear reactor. its efficiency and thrust increases more.. once can travel more distance..

Akask kumar

ION thruster is just the initial stage. which can work convincingly on solar power but thrust generated is not great and one has to wait for certain duration in order for thrust to build up .. good for interstella missions but not enough..

next stage in ion thrust engine is of Plasma engine..this is real deal and it cant work on solar energy . one has to master the art of nuclear reactor.. good for intra and inter stellar missions..

the plasma enigne that US is developin gis called Vasimr..

Last edited:

Akask kumar

VASIMR, is an interesting idea. I think we can see a new gen of propulsion systems coming up soon, our labs should work on some ideas too.
ISRO has already tested an ion engine prototype on GSAT4 (2010)..
ISRO chief said that they will test another full scale ion engine on GSAT-19.

we are working on ion engine which will reduce the fuel we need to take in space and thus will increase the space for more cargo .. lauching will become more cheaper..

once ion engine is developed ,developing plasma engine shoould not be a big deal.. we have plasma reaearch laboratories in india..we have the knowledge..

THE KEY HIGHLIGHT OF BOTH ION AND PLASMA IS SMALL FUEL SIZE.. AND REASONABLE THRUST..

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Indian GSLV will truly ‘arrive’ this month

When launched, it will mark the culmination of more than two decades of hard work.
Enters the all-Indian GSLV, finally, later this month. The GSLV-F05 flight coming up on August 28 or 29 will be its first regular, full-service or 'operational' one.
When launched, it will be the culmination of more than two decades of hard work — punctuated with jinxes and tribulation — for developing an indigenous medium-lift satellite launcher.
GSLV-F05 will be the fourth flight powered by the Indian cryogenic stage and its preceding two in the last two years have been successful. F05 will carry the roughly 2,000-kg weather satellite, INSAT-3DR, follow-on to INSAT-3D which entered space in 2013.
The first six GSLVs starting with D1 of 2000 used the Russian cryogenic engines in the third and last stage and were called GSLV-MarkI. The first GSLV propelled by an Indian cryogenic engine and distinguished as MarkII, was tested about ten years later, in April 2010, but flight D3 failed.
“The flight of GSLV-F05 will be truly significant milestone in our launch vehicle programme. It signals India’s feat of developing its own cryogenic technology for its launchers. The technology is so complex and our success signifies the confidence of handling this tough challenge,” said a senior official in the Indian Space Research Organisation.
GSLV-Mk2 however can put only satellites weighing up to 2,200 kg into geostationary space. At least four more of them are in the making now. ISRO, meanwhile, has moved towards 3,000-kg class communication spacecraft with an eye on making 4,000-kg satellites.
Foreign launches
These heavier ones need to be put into space on a foreign launcher such as the European Ariane. GSAT-18, due in October and next year’s GSAT-17 are confirmed while the heavy 4-tonne GSAT-11 will also need a foreign launch.
Another official said the plan is to do two GSLV launches a year from next year, apart from doubling the PSLV rate to ten or a dozen a year.
He agreed that “Ultimately, GSLV-MarkIII [that is under development to do handle 4,000-kg spacecraft] is more important to us than Mark-II.”
It will mean that all ISRO satellites can be launched from within the country.
Test flight in December
The first test flight of Mark-III, also knows as LVM3, is slated for December and it will take a few more flights and years to become regular.
Stupid ill informed media.:frusty:
It's second, first flight of rocket was conducted last year.
If we talk in real sense,
LVM3 was name of first test flight. And a Mark 3 cryogenic engine will fly in December 2016. So, GSLV Mk3 is not known as LVM3. LVM3-X was name of an experimental flight.
As the GSLV numbers go up, the official said it increases the onus on suppliers in public and private industry, especially for cryogenic engines, tanks and rocket stages. Indicatively, the smaller PSLV gets about 80 per cent of its supplies from industry.

shiphone

Country flag
http://www.isro.gov.in/launchers/lvm3

LVM3
About the Launch Vehicle
LVM 3 is a heavy launch capability launcher being developed by ISRO. It will allow India to achieve complete self reliance in launching satellites as it will be capable of placing 4 tonne class Geosynchronous satellites into orbit. The LVM3 will have an India built cryogenic stage with higher capacity than GSLV. The first experimental flight of LVM3, the LVM3-X/CARE mission lifted off from Sriharikota on December 18, 2014 and successfully tested the atmospheric phase of flight. Crew module Atmospheric Reentry Experiment was also carried out in this flight. The module reentered, deployed its parachutes as planned and splashed down in the Bay of Bengal.
LOL..

Last edited:

Global Defence

Articles